• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you like to see next gen play out?

Opiate

I see that you put a tablet in there to throw me off, very clever >_<

And you left out 360 because PS3 and 360 were essentially trying to do the same thing. Add motion control to either of those via a peripheral and you have something that can do anything the Wii does.

As already mentioned, there's an enormous difference between having a controller as a peripheral and having it as the default input method. PCs have been capable of taking any controller of any kind for many years now -- how's that working out? Anything but M/KB controls are still niche with no sign of that changing. For that matter, how is that Move thing working out for the PS3? Lots of Move games on the shelves? Experimental input methods are not something one can easily impress upon the marketplace. Making something "technically capable" of using a certain controller is actually the easy part; the hard part is popularizing it.

Further, my list was hardly exhaustive. How about the 3DS? The PSP? The iPhone? Android? Kinect? All of these devices have their own strengths and weaknesses, very few have the same technical capacities and very few have the same input methods as a default.

Many of the people who want a "one console future" are, in my experience, people who prefer the "traditional" form of gaming represented by a standard home console and a standard game pad, and want all these new types of gaming (iOS, DS, Wii, Kinect, etc) to either conform or go away.

Top Bottom