• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP Stream 7 + $25 Windows Store gift card: $69.99; Portable gaming goodness

EdgeXL

I remember that this tablet was highly praised in the portable gaming thread for running Skyrim, Crysis and a PSP emulator.

The HP Stream 7 proved popular over the holiday season with people looking for an affordable but quality tablet at a reasonable price. Now Microsoft has sweetened the deal by slashing $20 off the normal $99 price tag.

The HP Stream 7 features a 7-inch IPS display with a 1280×800 resolution and support for 5-finger multi-touch, a quad-core 1.33GHz Intel Atom Z3735G processor, 1GB of RAM, and 32GB of storage. It also comes with a microSD card slot, a 3,000mAh battery good for hours, a 2 megapixel rear-facing camera, and a 0.3 megapixel front-facing camera.

On top of that you get a $25 Windows Store gift card and an Office 365 Personal subscription with 60 minutes of Skype calling a month worth $69.99.

Also, since this hardware is from Microsoft's Signature Edition, it comes with no bloatware installed.

A solid, well-made tablet. Don't expect it to break any performance records, but as a general-purpose tablet for browsing the web, content consumption, and creating and editing Office documents, it's a superb system.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.308781500

SerTapTap

This is "real" windows, right? Man, RT was an absolutely terrible idea. Anyway, I have a Surface Pro 3 and this is kinda tempting but I'm not sure I'd ever really use it.

//ARCANUM

Anyone know how Hearthstone runs on here? I imagine it would run pretty easily if this thing can run Skyrim but wanting to check. Also since this is running windows, can I just straight up install steam and install some older games and run them with touch controls? Or would they have to be modded/patched for touch?

Actually, same question for hearthstone, will the touch just act like a mouse pointer?

Edit - sorry for my ignorance. I've never owned a tablet besides an iPad in the past.

undecided

That processor looks really bad in benchmarks. Are you sure it was this version that people liked and not some higher powered one?

Anyone know how Hearthstone runs on here? I imagine it would run pretty easily if this thing can run Skyrim but wanting to check. Also since this is running windows, can I just straight up install steam and install some older games and run them with touch controls? Or would they have to be modded/patched for touch?

Actually, same question for hearthstone, will the touch just act like a mouse pointer?

Edit - sorry for my ignorance. I've never owned a tablet besides an iPad in the past.

Hearthstone runs pretty well. And yes, you can install Steam ! As for touch controls, you will need Gesture Gameplay on Steam.
But I would advice you to get an Xbox One or PS4 controller and get a Nyko Smartclip.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
Install Steam.

Thanks Captain Obvious.

Now, anyone who doesn't feel like giving a shitpost response:

How does a tablet with 1 GB of RAM, some of which is shared with an integrated video card, play Skyrim or Crysis?

I've played Minecraft on mine and it's not smooth, I can't imagine something like Skyrim.

This is "real" windows, right? Man, RT was an absolutely terrible idea. Anyway, I have a Surface Pro 3 and this is kinda tempting but I'm not sure I'd ever really use it.

RT was a dumb ploy by Microsoft to push Intel harder on the low power consumption x86. It worked.

yaesir

i doubt it can actually run skyrim and crysis at playable framerates.

Your expectations are too high for this price range, but you can play lots of great games like heartstone, emulators and other pc classics.

You can even play something like World of Warcraft in this (although nowhere near raid apt).

I think I'm going to wait until there are tablets out there that use Cherry Trail, have Windows 10 and have at least 4GB of RAM. I bet by the end of the year there might be something. It will obviously be more expensive than this $80 tablet, but not much more and a lot more capable.

VRMN

For $80, I'll bite. I've been interested in a smaller sized tablet device for a while and this is an incredible device for what I'd use it for. Not really gaming side stuff, but that it runs full Win 8.1 instead of Win RT makes it infinitely more usable for certain things than a Surface 2...and the Pro line is out of my price range right now. Thanks for the heads up; I appreciate it.

Exile20

Thanks Captain Obvious.

How does a tablet with 1 GB of RAM, some of which is shared with an integrated video card, play Skyrim or Crysis?

I've played Minecraft on mine and it's not smooth, I can't imagine something like Skyrim.

Woah, dude. That attitude man.

Thanks Captain Obvious.

This wasn't meant as a shitpost or ironic answer.:eek:
I mean, some people don't know much about Windows tablets and still are in the RT era.
I just thought you were asking how to get these games, as how to INSTALL them.
But as a more concrete answer, you can play Skyrim or Crysis, but it wont be smooth. In the 20-30FPS range.

Apparently all you have to do is install it and it works, at least that's what I'm told.

Come on man, I misunderstood your question. And to be fair, your first post wasn't explicit.

Kowalski

Banned
The Stream 7 is actually a nice little tablet. I bought this during the holidays and use it mainly for media consumption.

For the new price, this is a steal.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Tempting, if only because if I'm not mistaken, that is basically one year of unlimited OneDrive storage and since I own an Xbox One, it will be easy to find something to spend the $25 in credit on. Since this is not WinRT, is it assured to get Windows 10?

VRMN

Tempting, if only because if I'm not mistaken, that is basically one year of unlimited OneDrive storage and since I own an Xbox One, it will be easy to find something to spend the $25 in credit on. Since this is not WinRT, is it assured to get Windows 10?

Yes, everything that runs real Windows 8.1 will get Windows 10.

For those not particularly interested in trying to run traditional Windows games like I would on my desktop, does it have other less than obvious uses? I have a 7" android tablet I pretty much stopped using after I got my Chromebook, so if the point of Windows on this is basically to run Windows games, not sure how much use I have for it.

bomblord1

Banned
For those not particularly interested in trying to run traditional Windows games like I would on my desktop, does it have other less than obvious uses? I have a 7" android tablet I pretty much stopped using after I got my Chromebook, so if the point of Windows on this is basically to run Windows games, not sure how much use I have for it.

Windows 8 experience is comparable to android if you keep on the metro. The benefit is it also runs any full windows program as well (within reason).

I apologize if I'm overlooking it (trying to do it quickly on my work break), but does the $25 gift card come automatically, or do I have to add something to my cart?

The only things showing in the cart are the tablet and the Skype minutes.

EDIT: Nevermind, fine print seems to indicate that it is automatic. Sorry!

//ARCANUM

Sorry for the ignorance here, but is Windows store different than Microsoft Store (the physical store)? Is windows store like the mac app store? Just for apps?

And when you get the gift card, is it just added to an account or do you get a code that you could sell?

Chorazin

Well, after reading about the deal i had to order one. Used paypal since I left the card I wanted to put it on at home (and it's linked to my PayPal). That was super weird. o_O

Basically, they send a billing agreement to your paypal account and then you have to go in an manually change the funding, unlike every other site I've used paypal with, which just gives you the standard PayPal checkout screen.

I guess since they don't bill it it ships that's how they manage it? Figured I'd give a head's to anyone else thinking of paying this way!

Mugatu

I'm not sure if this is still available but I saw this earlier to save another (almost) $5.

Deal Editor's Note: You may receive an additional 5% off by following the steps below (texting required).
  • Ads HP Stream 7 Signature Edition 7" Tablet w/ Office 365 to cart
  • Send text to number 29502 with word MSSTORE in text
  • Immediately you will receive a unique promo code for 5% off
  • Proceed to checkout
  • Enter your unique promo code in cart
  • Total will be $79 - 5% w/ copied unique promo code = $75.05 + free shipping

Ecto311

Did a comparison on the chips in this vs the HP Stream 11in laptop and it seems like the laptop has a better setup even if it costs more than double. Looking for something that could be good for a 5yr old to learn on and it seems like a better device since it folds and has a keyboard. She had an iPad but it stopped working completely a few days ago. Won't charge or do anything when you hold lock and home buttons.

I picked this up for my 3 year old. He likes playing educational flash games and the old windows laptop he had been using just died.

If it doesn't work well for the games I can always just keep it on the coffee table and use for smart glass.

//ARCANUM

I saw in a review that apparently the headphone jack puts out "unacceptable levels of background static rendering it unusable." can anyone who has one comment on this?

also, I see this is $79 on amazon as well, i know it doesn't come with the gift card, but I doubt i'd get anything from the windows store anyways and prime shipping is nice.... if i get it from amazon will it still be bloatware free?

//ARCANUM

sorry for bumping but i'd kind of rather get this on amazon (prime shipping + gift cards I have), can anyone chime in if it will have bloatware if getting from somewhere other than microsoft store?

blackflag

So this can run Hearthstone and games like Card Hunters? web based stuff like that?

My iPad got stolen and I never replaced it.

Top Bottom