• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive and SteamVR hands-on impressions

Despera

Banned
By the end of the year whichever available VR headset best achieves presence is the one I'm getting.

I'm leaning towards the Vive, but then again we have those other reports mentioning image clarity and how Crescent Bay may be better in that department.

Can't wait for E3. I'm sure by then Oculus would have announced their final CV1 specs (and hopefully release date) for a more proper comparison.

Durante

Basically, VR has always been something that I’ve followed intently (kind of part of my job) and whose potential I’ve recognized, but I hadn’t had the luxury of experiencing any major breakthroughs first-hand.

…until I used the Vive/SteamVR system last week.
I really need to get my VR room ready!

I think I might make a thread for that series, once more articles are up. Don't know if the Lighthouse and demos will be one.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

The touchpad commentary is in line with what I've been thinking. It could be very handy short-to-medium term for a type of finer finger/thumb interaction in VR that just adds to a convincing sense of presence, without having to get fully articulated finger tracking working.

Will the Steam Controller have lighthouse sensors built in? I notice they seem to have a kind of add-on contraption in the pictures, but will that get boiled in to the final?

That's just an early prototype. I don't think it will have sensors, otherwise Valve would have mentioned it. And it's not like we've seen the final version having any.

The great thing about SteamVR from a competition perspective is how they're basically providing the template towards solving the problems that would had only been addressed in the next iteration of competitive VR devices.

Sony and Oculus has been focused on iterating and making improvements based on either their existing tech (Move/Camera for Sony) or an existing focal point ( Oculus and their current focus on landing a seated experience first and foremost), whereas Valve's feel very much like "here's our solution prototype for the challenges you'll all face after you ship your Gen 1 devices". It does help that Valve is presumably not hindered by any cost concerns, since manufacturing is on their partner's side.

When Oculus2 and Morpheus PS5 comes about, there's no way they can settle on a technological pathway that delivers an inferior experience than Lighthouse.

Man

When Oculus2 and Morpheus PS5 comes about, there's no way they can settle on a technological pathway that delivers an inferior experience than Lighthouse.
Likely it will be Lighthouse that they use as Valve has opened for everyone else to use it.
The last 3D tracking milestone was the PS Move five years ago. It will take a while for Lighthouse to be replaced.

I really need to get my VR room ready!

I'm already planning mine out
By the end of the year whichever available VR headset best achieves presence is the one I'm getting.

I'm leaning towards the Vive, but then again we have those other reports mentioning image clarity and how Crescent Bay may be better in that department.

Can't wait for E3. I'm sure by then Oculus would have announced their final CV1 specs (and hopefully release date) for a more proper comparison.
I don't think image clarity will have that large of a role to play, honestly. In fact if the tracking isn't up to snuff, being able to see more clearly might make that misinformation more apparent, and detract from the experience. I'm thinking that the presence factor, meaning whichever device can trick my mind the best and bring the most of my body into the virtual world, that's the headset I'm getting. So far the Vive is in the lead, but we haven't heard anything new from Oculus in a good while now.

Likely it will be Lighthouse that they use as Valve has opened for everyone else to use it.
The last 3D tracking milestone was the PS Move five years ago. It will take a while for Lighthouse to be replaced.

I honestly think that depends on how cost efficient lighthouse is. I have yet to hear any educated guesses as to how much Light House cost over basic optical tracking.

Mindlog

Man

Developer kit available this spring... I guess there's no indication of which month we can order this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I am worried that Valves demos will be creating an expectation that simply won't be met in the real world. Hardly anyone is going to set up a 15ft x 15ft room for VR. Even fewer are going to have a partner constantly on hand to make sure you aren't treading on cables. The demos sound amazing but very, very focused on a controlled, demo environment.

VR needs to have presence without being able to move around that much. Maybe standing and walking on the spot will be enough of a step up from sitting down, where the experience requires you to be moving around? Still a long way to go I think.

I think Valve needs to be more clear that the empty room is not a requirement for their set. You can also do it a smaller space or stand or sit.

Seanspeed

Banned
I am worried that Valves demos will be creating an expectation that simply won't be met in the real world. Hardly anyone is going to set up a 15ft x 15ft room for VR. Even fewer are going to have a partner constantly on hand to make sure you aren't treading on cables. The demos sound amazing but very, very focused on a controlled, demo environment.

VR needs to have presence without being able to move around that much. Maybe standing and walking on the spot will be enough of a step up from sitting down, where the experience requires you to be moving around? Still a long way to go I think.
You could say the same thing about the Crescent Bay demos as well, to be fair. I think its no surprise that presence is indeed much greater when you're physically moving around a virtual space, but I'd really like to see some seated experiences being demoed. Valve's input solution should still be neat for that, and maybe showing some sort of situation where you can swivel in a chair and still hold the positional tracking of the controllers facing any direction would give us a closer idea of what we should expect when we're using this at home.

Man

I'll probably have a gym-room combined with VR-studio in my future home. Easier to talk the girlfriend into.

http://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreal...vive_consumer_version_will_have_a_resolution/

take this with a grain of salt of course. It might also be possible the redditor is right, but the employee got his stuff mixed up.

like this post says

I hope the HTC wasn't confused as to what 2K meant. Because if his understanding and source were correct, that's equivalent to 2560x1600. It's possible he's just a marketing guy who didn't know what he's talking about, mistaking 2K total for both eyes (2160x1200), as opposed to thinking you were worried about it being 1920x1080.

If the final version of Vive is 1600p, that's huge news.

Who knows.

I was surprised that going to two screens for the protos didn't jump the per eye rez even more, so this makes sense to me. I've felt that both companies are going to give us the best HMDs possible, and let the market come up to reach them.

I'll be happy to not to have to buy Vive2/Rift2 12 months later.

ag6a2o4.jpg

https://twitter.com/ID_R_McGregor/status/580703647203397632

Top Bottom