• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's a single prebuilt room in which you can change colors/textures. don't overhype yourself

omg looks so cool I think I can show my family this one :D :D :D :D :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone planning on any room modifications like foam strips to protect against bumping?

Also, what's the maximum distance between lighthouses - isn't it around 5m? The space I'm clearing is adjacent to my PC so I'd like the tracked space to include both areas for when I'm sitting. But that would be a total of 2.2m x 4.5m tracked so just a tiny bit over 5m.

Anyone planning on any room modifications like foam strips to protect against bumping?

Also, what's the maximum distance between lighthouses - isn't it around 5m? The space I'm clearing is adjacent to my PC so I'd like the tracked space to include both areas for when I'm sitting. But that would be a total of 2.2m x 4.5m tracked so just a tiny bit over 5m.

valve-vive-lighthouse-boundaries.jpg

Every controller shown works

Mikeside

So jealous of all you motherfuckers with shipping emails or, even worse, actual Vives.

I'm an :01 order, this is cruel

Compsiox

Banned

I think you'll find that this isn't necessary. Just make sure the boundaries aren't literally walls. Chaperone adjusts this automatically really. It makes the borders a foot back from where you traced the the room. At least that's what it seems like.

Nzyme32

Hmm, are a lot of people going to have their rooms set up with furniture in it? That seems a little iffy.

That's kind of the point of chaperone and the camera. It shouldn't be iffy, and hasn't been iffy from my experience even months ago with dk1, which didn't have the camera

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What is everyone watching tomorrow? Do we have a collection of all the streams? I only know of the Giant Bomb one.

Tribal instincts is doing a 12 hour stream starting at 8:30am Pacific. But ,Lloyd almost certainly be watching the giant bomb one, and will catch up with tribalinstincts later.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think you'll find that this isn't necessary. Just make sure the boundaries aren't literally walls. Chaperone adjusts this automatically really. It makes the borders a foot back from where you traced the the room. At least that's what it seems like.

I have a couple of areas of low head height. One will be a chaperone wall but it is open at the bottom so I'm wary of standing up into the overhang (only 1.6m off the ground). A solid wall would actually be better. The other is a beam that reduces head height to 2.05m instead of the 2.4 I have elsewhere. I still want to use that space for slower paced games as it gives me 3x2 rather than 2x2 which could make a big difference. Walking is fine but in this case I'm worrying about smacking the controllers with overhead movements.

Any word when the GB stream starting?

7am Pacific

Compsiox

Banned
I have a couple of areas of low head height. One will be a chaperone wall but it is open at the bottom so I'm wary of standing up into the overhang (only 1.6m off the ground). A solid wall would actually be better. The other is a beam that reduces head height to 2.05m instead of the 2.4 I have elsewhere. I still want to use that space for slower paced games as it gives me 3x2 rather than 2x2 which could make a big difference. Walking is fine but in this case I'm worrying about smacking the controllers with overhead movements.

7am Pacific
Do what you think is best. Remember you can use the sync cable if you have to place the lighthouses in odd places. It's recommended that they're 6.5 feet off the ground. I hope you can get it setup to your liking.

Durante

Heh, I wanted to post about the IKEA thing, but I see it was already covered. Never expected to see IKEA on Steam :p

Minimum of 3m x 4m.

Ughh
Yeah, it's the only room-scale game I don't have the space for.
But it was also designed as a one-off demo for a specific demonstration environment, and only released because people asked for it.

viveks86

Yeah, it's the only room-scale game I don't have the space for.
But it was also designed as a one-off demo for a specific demonstration environment, and only released because people asked for it.

For $3 I'll probably give it a shot anyway. Here's hoping the chaperone system kicks in so I'd at least know when I've run out of real estate.

taco543

from the look of the break out box, thanks to compsiox, it looks like this will work http://www.amazon.it/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-ThunderboltTM-Compatible/dp/B00C7RJQPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459840297&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=displayport+mini+displayport&psc=1 but this is if you have a displayport available no hdmi available. So I have an EVGA gtx 980 ti hybrid and it has 3 display ports but 1 hdmi port, so my hdmi port will goto my secondary monitor and I want to plug in the device to a display port instead so I'd use the mini DP cable to standard DP cable.

OR from the link you posted click on the option that says "DP su Mini DP cavo"

Compsiox

Banned
I should be sleeping I'm gonna die tomorrow. It's so worth it though to see the software that will define a new medium launch ;-;

It's so beautiful.

T.O.P

Banned
from the look of the break out box, thanks to compsiox, it looks like this will work http://www.amazon.it/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-ThunderboltTM-Compatible/dp/B00C7RJQPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459840297&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=displayport+mini+displayport&psc=1 but this is if you have a displayport available no hdmi available. So I have an EVGA gtx 980 ti hybrid and it has 3 display ports but 1 hdmi port, so my hdmi port will goto my secondary monitor and I want to plug in the device to a display port instead so I'd use the mini DP cable to standard DP cable.

OR from the link you posted click on the option that says "DP su Mini DP cavo"

Oh right, my 970 has a normal size DP, the Vive has a mini DP instead

Got it now, thanks, didn't even think that i needed another cable for this, cheers to the other guy who brought it up as well :)

Now....back to the waiting game :|||||||||

taco543

Oh right, my 970 has a normal size DP, the Vive has a mini DP instead

Got it now, thanks, didn't even think that i needed another cable for this, cheers to the other guy who brought it up as well :)

Now....back to the waiting game :|||||||||
Yeah lol I need one too but since I have prime I'm being lazy till I get MY DAMN SHIPMENT NOTIFICATION!!!
yelling did nothing

Compsiox

Banned
I'll bet the bundled games will just be openly free to download requiring no code. I guess we'll see in less than 6 hours.

taco543

I'll bet the bundled games will just be openly free to download requiring no code. I guess we'll see in less than 6 hours.

from the destructoid review:
The Vive ships with download codes for Tilt Brush, Fantastic Contraption and Job Simulator, which will all be reviewed on Destructoid very soon.

I think you get codes to redeem...

Compsiox

Banned
You bought a dev kit, no goodies for you :(

I'm trying to get an answer from HTC when I can expect my "April" shipment, but no luck.

I have Tilt Brush and Fantastic Contraption and a bunch of demos you'll probably never see. Bam!!! I showed you!!

T.O.P

Banned
The Brookhaven Experiment release moved to "Spring"

We've been working really hard to bring you The Brookhaven Experiment for a late April release. Our development has been progressing well, however, we feel that we need a little more time to work on expanding the game to be even better. It's our goal to give you a lot of amazing content beyond what the demo provides. In order to accomplish that goal, we will require a longer period of development.
We want to release an awesome and polished game that will blow you away. To those of you who pre-ordered the game in hopes that it would be ready for late April, we're very sorry.
Pre-orders are still available and as a token of our appreciation, the demo will be accessible until the full game is released. We're looking forward to everyone getting their hands on the game as soon as it's ready. The full version will bring new gameplay, modes, weapons, locations and more to your HTC Vive late this spring. Please stay tuned for further announcements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom