• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, however you're wrong about the maps:
- 1 real, textured and complete map (medium size) - Datacentre
- 1 real, untextured and nearly complete map (large) - SNDmap (they's pushed like 4 updates to this one in the last month and it's becoming god-tier imo, like almost as good as de_dust)
- 1 unfinished, untextured and far from complete map (small) - Bridge

Ah! Cool. I've only ever been matchmade in to the first two. Didn't realize there was a third.

SomTervo

Somtervo, any oculus support for that game? And how necessary is a big play area for it. Sounds like you need space.

I haven't looked into it, but a couple of weeks back I was playing with a guy who asked how we use the Buy menu, and he said he was on Rift. The Buy menu is a button on the Vive trackpad, so not sure how it works, but he evidently had it working somehow.

Can't really recommend without more info tho.

Edit: Oh, and it doesn't need much space. You can stand on the spot and play rotating. Space helps a little but it's far from necessary

Hey all, finally managed to order myself a vive. Just wondering what I should expect out revive and oculus content. Just curious if it works well enough that I'm fine with picking up some Oculus content right away (Superhot) or if I should maybe prioritize native Vive content for my purchases.

With the price of the headset and VR games I'll probably be a bit more careful with game purchases than usual.

You're definitely fine installing Revive and Oculus Home right away.

Installing and using Revive is super easy, and it's so well designed that it slots right into Steam VR's interface. You don't need to load anything else up or do any fiddling. Just boot up the Vive, select 'Revive' from the Steam VR menu, and click on the Oculus game you've bought on their store.

Edit: installation needs a bit of care though, to do things in order and have Oculus Home up right. It's all explained on the Revive Git IIRC.

Ah! Cool. I've only ever been matchmade in to the first two. Didn't realize there was a third.

You can do proper server browsing to pick maps you want - I recommend doing that :) Bridge on Team Deathmatch is a total blast. I finally worked out how to snipe well the other night – literally sat cross legged on my living room floor (on the bank opposite the enemies) countersniping fools trying to get me. Incredible.

Somtervo, any oculus support for that game? And how necessary is a big play area for it. Sounds like you need space.

Yea, I have it on the Rift and it works fine. It's worth the asking price for sure, but at it's current state it doesn't have the holding power of something like Onward.

There's also a Rift option now that lets you use the right analog for snap turning, which I think is a great feature even if you have roomscale as it prevents having to turn around a bunch which tangles your wires over time.

Edit: there's one issue with the Rift that starts the game with your hands switched around, but if you just start steam vr instead of the game, then choose the game in steam vr with your left hand, it should be fine.

New Vindicta trailer. Looks pretty awesome. Goes to early access in June.

ss_ef77821ea97a905c211204bc93fad2eaa59d6330.1920x1080.jpg

ss_d5f4b20499b62ac4f0245d0d6e2d608053092486.1920x1080.jpg

ss_57f5e4eca675b7991dcd08d106cade4fb6648554.1920x1080.jpg

Steam page

It's nothing like Art of Fights locomotion. It's basically just joypad locomotion at this point, like Onward. Throwing the chaperone up then standing near it might help.

(I really didn't like Art of Fight's locomotion and think Pavlov is way better :S)

AoF's was definitely early and rough, but the potential it showed was amazing, being able to jump and climb. Some refinement and it would've been great. Hell, even rough, it was still the most fun and I never had an ounce of discomfort playing it.

AoF's was definitely early and rough, but the potential it showed was amazing, being able to jump and climb. Some refinement and it would've been great. Hell, even rough, it was still the most fun and I never had an ounce of discomfort playing it.

It's in a different context, but it seems like Survios's new racing game Sprint Vector is using an evolution of AoF's system.

With there being so many great multiplayer games we should try to schedule a day/night that we can all play together, I already have all 3 Serious Sams, Pavlov, Art of Fight, Bullets And More VR, Cowbots and Aliens, Raw Data, Smashbox Arena, Super Kaiju, HordeZ, Out of Ammo, Cloudlands : VR Minigolf, Hover Junkers and one of my favorites Valiant is half off for the sale.

If you enjoy the game Chivalry: Medieval Warfare then you'll love Valiant.

With there being so many great multiplayer games we should try to schedule a day/night that we can all play together, I already have all 3 Serious Sams, Pavlov, Art of Fight, Bullets And More VR, Cowbots and Aliens, Raw Data, Smashbox Arena, Super Kaiju, HordeZ, Out of Ammo, Cloudlands : VR Minigolf, Hover Junkers and one of my favorites Valiant is half off for the sale.

If you enjoy the game Chivalry: Medieval Warfare then you'll love Valiant.

I would tooooooootally love to do Multiplayer get togethers, but alas, I need to wait till I have 50 foot HDMI/USB cables.
Any suggestions on that front?

Bought Pavlov VR just because it's not expensive at all... I don't even play multiplayer games lol
One or two rounds can't hurt I guess.

(Climbey, Eleven Table Tennis and Crahed Lander happened to be bought alongside it.)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This is a new page so I'm just gonna mention again that everybody should try Raw Data, it is free for two more days. It's way cooler than I expected. Dunno if I am shelling out the 32 bucks (I hate paying for Early Access) but I'm totally thinking about it.

edit: Owow didn't know Superhot VR was a thing

Google Earth VR continues to be fantastic. I was listening to a podcast and I found myself taking notes on places they mentioned that I want to visit in VR (assuming I can find them). I swear, if schools want students to learn geography and where places are, just stick them in Google Earth VR. Without having a way to search, I had to brush up on my geography so I could find the places I wanted to see.

I really hope as VR becomes more popular that devs start releasing VR exploration versions of their games. I'd love to just walk around and explore the worlds of World of Warcraft, or The Witcher, or Zelda, or Horizon, or etc. Doesn't need combat or mechanics, just immersing yourself in that world and exploring. Getting to be in the places i've seen in games.

Played the Compound Demo on steam, it's a lot of fun. The mechanical pling-sound fx when reloading the mg... CoD headshot-pling material, love it.

While it is a lot of fun and I will probably buy it when it's availabe, it's also very simpel. I know the game doesn't want to be a complex game with single player campaign... or maybe that's only my impression(?)... I would love to have a small story where I can progress through different levels towards a story goal. If it will be pure clear-the-room-and-win and nothing more... that's fine too, but I would absolutely love a small little campaign withe these mechanics and graphics.

SimplexPL

I have a technical problem. Few days ago something weird started happening - whenever I launch SteamVR then automatically Oculus Home launches too. This happens every time and is very irritating. How do I stop this? I want to keep oculus home because I am using Revive.

EDIT: This also happens when I quit VR game, making it even more annoying.

1) Start SteamVR
2) Oculus Home pops up - close it, confirm quit
3) Start VR game and play
4) Quit VR game
5) Oculus Home pops up - close it, confirm quit

Any idea why is happening?

Kodiak333

Neo Member
Has anyone had the issue where SteamVR constantly crashes when starting up? Usually it's when I try to go into settings, and it crashes every single time. Games will run fine from Steam itself, but the SteamVR menu won't show up in the headset.

SimplexPL

I don't know if it's the same problem, but I tried playing Robinson The Journey on steam Via revive and every 20-30 minutes SteamVR just dies - it closes without any error message (and the game quits too) this happened to me 3 times in a row and I stopped playing.
When I played Eve Valkirye no such thing happened, so it must be related to either Revive or the game itself.

Final Goalie and Tornuffalo video with Vive trackers. I wish these things would be cheaper and smaller than they are, I have not tried them myself but I feel like they are just a tad too big in size and too costly even for the enthusiast crowd. I want my feet (in the end my entire body) to be tracked 100% in VR even if the games don't really need it to work, just seeing that your VR body does what you expect it to do would be great.

Edit:

I can't even get to the Settings in SteamVR without it crashing...it's really pissing me off and I have no idea how to fix it. I've reinstalled it, the drivers, and my nVidia drivers...and it is still crashing everytime I try to do settings.

Do you maybe have an old version of the advanced settings installed that needs to be updated?

Kodiak333

Neo Member
I don't know if it's the same problem, but I tried playing Robinson The Journey on steam Via revive and every 20-30 minutes SteamVR just dies - it closes without any error message (and the game quits too) this happened to me 3 times in a row and I stopped playing.
When I played Eve Valkirye no such thing happened, so it must be related to either Revive or the game itself.

I can't even get to the Settings in SteamVR without it crashing...it's really pissing me off and I have no idea how to fix it. I've reinstalled it, the drivers, and my nVidia drivers...and it is still crashing everytime I try to do settings.

Bought Eleven Table Tennis and Pavlov.

I was never a Counterstrike guy and I said goodbye to multiplayer in general, but I had to see what it's like playing such a game in VR. And it feels really good wandering about the map looking for enemies, peeking around corners and lining up your sights and gun.

But I doubt I will be spending much time with it, I need to strictly follow my "no multiplayer" rule or else I will sink too much time into these things which is not what I want to do.

-

Eleven Table Tennis is fantastic, I was an avid player back when I was a lot younger and I haven't played it in decades. It nearly feels like the real thing and my memories came back to life and I remembered how I used to play and the game let's me nearly do it the exact same way. It's not 100% there (can't cut the ball, you can but the ball doesn't really do what it's supposed to there, imo) but I could imagine it's the closest adaption of a real life sport in VR. It actually feels like a ball is hitting the side of the racket, the weight is a bit off and the grip is different due to how the Vive controller is build, but it's really damn close!

Lurch666

I have a technical problem. Few days ago something weird started happening - whenever I launch SteamVR then automatically Oculus Home launches too. This happens every time and is very irritating. How do I stop this? I want to keep oculus home because I am using Revive.

EDIT: This also happens when I quit VR game, making it even more annoying.

1) Start SteamVR
2) Oculus Home pops up - close it, confirm quit
3) Start VR game and play
4) Quit VR game
5) Oculus Home pops up - close it, confirm quit

Any idea why is happening?
When I get this problem with a game I just open up task manager and kill 'ovr service launcher' and then ' ovrservicex64'

SimplexPL

Bought Eleven Table Tennis and Pavlov.
Eleven Table Tennis is fantastic, I was an avid player back when I was a lot younger and I haven't played it in decades. It nearly feels like the real thing and my memories came back to life and I remembered how I used to play and the game let's me nearly do it the exact same way. It's not 100% there (can't cut the ball, you can but the ball doesn't really do what it's supposed to there, imo) but I could imagine it's the closest adaption of a real life sport in VR. It actually feels like a ball is hitting the side of the racket, the weight is a bit off and the grip is different due to how the Vive controller is build, but it's really damn close!

Hopefully a racket with the vive tracker is just a matter of time.

Has anyone messed around with Vorpx? I keep seeing it mentioned in various places and i'm really curious about it, but I hear mixed things. In particular I'd really just like to play Skyrim with it, but the price is too steep to grab on a gamble.

Edit: Also if I want to have some archery in VR, is Holopoint or QuiVR the better choice?

SimplexPL

They are different experiences, holopoint requires more physical exertion. At one point I was literally too exhausted to beat the boss.

Also, QuiVR has multiplayer, so potentially more replayability and longevity.

Spent about an hour + playing Rec Room's Quest mode for the first time last night. Really fun though it gets a little too hard real fast. Really looking forward to the sci-fi stage. Tried playing the team charades too but it was totally broken.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
There are a handful of new titles announced in the recent days

Area 51
The Ruins: Escape the Room
Pixel Arcade
Interkosmos
Kryptcrawler

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Have there been any notable CAD programs released yet? Preferable more towards the hobby-grade side. Been messing around with fusion 360 the last few weeks. Seems like the type of thing that'd be 10,000x easier in VR.

I had the chance to try out a Vive with kind of a large room setup last week, and I was really blown away.

Had some experiences with a Rift before, and wasn't really convinced.

But together with the ability to walk around, this is simply amazing. I felt almost completely immersed. I just wished I could see my own body somehow. That was the only thing that irritated me a bit.

For the future I wish, they could build in the ability to have external objects in the VR space.

I would love to have a beach chair where I can lie on, and go over to the virtual palm tree and grab some beer bottle lying there....

I had the chance to try out a Vive with kind of a large room setup last week, and I was really blown away.

Had some experiences with a Rift before, and wasn't really convinced.

But together with the ability to walk around, this is simply amazing. I felt almost completely immersed. I just wished I could see my own body somehow. That was the only thing that irritated me a bit.

For the future I wish, they could build in the ability to have external objects in the VR space.

I would love to have a beach chair where I can lie on, and go over to the virtual palm tree and grab some beer bottle lying there....

The cable on the HMD needs to go, I really think it's stupid to turn left/right via trackpad in a roomscale game, you just turn your body of course, naturally... but the cable makes me sometimes use the trackpad turning instead so I don't have to be aware of where the wire is. Playing "The Solus Project" currently, where that is the case for me.

Battlezone was a PSVR launch game and it's finally coming to Vive (and Rift). They're having a beta you can sign up for here.

32.jpg

Why are we doing a beta?
PC is a fantastic platform for gamers because of the choice it offers. Before we release Battlezone on HTC Vive and Oculus Rift we want to make sure it’s optimised for the different kinds of hardware configurations you use, as well as testing the performance of online co-op.

To do this, we need your help! We’re looking for a select group of HTC Vive and Oculus Rift owners who want to help test our game, and are keen to give feedback directly to the devs.

When is the beta?
The Beta will run from April 19th to April 25th inclusive.

How can I get involved?
Obviously you’ll need either the HTC Vive or the Oculus Rift, and meet the minimum specs on your PC – as long as you have that, you’re in with a chance!

Simply click the link below to fill out the short application form and you’re done! If you are successful, we will be in touch soon.

Please take a moment to read the Terms and Conditions.

Spent about an hour + playing Rec Room's Quest mode for the first time last night. Really fun though it gets a little too hard real fast. Really looking forward to the sci-fi stage. Tried playing the team charades too but it was totally broken.

I really, really like Rec Room, but goddamn, I wish I could have adult-only zones.

Teleported into the charade room for a kid to wait for me there, who had made a foam penis and started shoving that into my head, whilst making slurp sounds.
Back in the hub space someone started high-fiving me, which very quickly turned into him making wanking gestures.

Interestingly, though, after telling them that I didn't like it, and they should stop, both of them did instantly, which is never anything that happened to me in other multiplayer games. Usually telling people to stop just makes them want to harass even harder,

I really, really like Rec Room, but goddamn, I wish I could have adult-only zones.

Teleported into the charade room for a kid to wait for me there, who had made a foam penis and started shoving that into my head, whilst making slurp sounds.
Back in the hub space someone started high-fiving me, which very quickly turned into him making wanking gestures.

Interestingly, though, after telling them that I didn't like it, and they should stop, both of them did instantly, which is never anything that happened to me in other multiplayer games. Usually telling people to stop just makes them want to harass even harder,

Yeah, Rec Room is already pretty rife with kids, but it's pretty much impossible to get in a game of charades without one or two and there's always at least one ruining it. I assume an adults only zone will eventually happen and I'm pretty sure it's on their radar. The hard part would be enforcing it since so many people let their kids on apparently unsupervised.

How are all these kids getting VR headsets in the first place?

I mean, power to them, but it seems like a very expensive device to get a child. Unless of course a family is sharing, but I feel like then the child wouldn't be playing alone most of the time.

Have there been any notable CAD programs released yet? Preferable more towards the hobby-grade side. Been messing around with fusion 360 the last few weeks. Seems like the type of thing that'd be 10,000x easier in VR.

I know it's not quite what you're looking for, but have you played around with Oculus Medium at all? That can export obj files and I've seen some pretty professional-looking stuff made with it.

How are all these kids getting VR headsets in the first place?

I mean, power to them, but it seems like a very expensive device to get a child. Unless of course a family is sharing, but I feel like then the child wouldn't be playing alone most of the time.

It has to mostly be parents who got it for themselves, then letting their kids play. I'm sure there are some rich/spoiled kids in there who got their parents to buy them one, but I imagine that's the minority. Who knows though. My experience with kids in Rec Room suggests that they're either unsupervised more than you would think, or that the parents just don't give a shit when they start yelling obscenities.

EDIT: In other news, RoboRevive 1.0 is out.

• Corrected controller angles to match the gun grips
  • Added Hybrid/Toggle grip options using the same settings from Revive
  • Fixed application menu button not activating the menu
  • Added an installer to simplify mod installation
FYI the new roborevive installer adds the game directly to your steam VR library! Also, this fixes the height bug and properly aligns hands in game. You can even contribute to the global high score leaderboards as this mod does NOT effect this. It's native support!!! You can even download and install your own mods for the game from the unreal engine websight (that will prevent leadboards access tho. As it does on rift aswell) Also Roborecall now has perfect 360 room support for us vive users. No more "please turn around" epic game themselves fixed this issue recently adding a option in settings.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/64k0xt/roborevive_10_released_adds_native_vive_support/

Paganmoon

Anyone tried Quar: Battle for Gate 18? Apparently been on Steam since April of last yearh, but been completely off my radar. Been looking for an RTS-like game for VR (well this is turn based, but still). Any impressions from people who've tried it here?

Only today I realized that "always-on reprojection" isn't what I thought it is.
Since reprojection lowers your fps to 45, one could assume, that "always-on reprojection" always lowers the fps to 45, but it turns out not to be true - the name of that option is really confusing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comme...n_reprojection_looks_way_better_than/d7vutd1/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comme...n_reprojection_looks_way_better_than/d8237fx/

Huh, I was under the same impression. So I guess it's got alot to do with the game engine as well if it'll help. I'm a bit hesitant still as the dev stated it could add some minor tracking issues, which could lead to motion sickness for people who are more susceptible.

sqwarlock

Have an opportunity buy a slightly-used Vive for $550. Should I? Been wanting one super bad since trying a friend's out earlier in the year.

Have an opportunity buy a slightly-used Vive for $550. Should I? Been wanting one super bad since trying a friend's out earlier in the year.

If you can ensure it works and is in good shape then i'd say definitely.

When was it originally purchased? Brand-new Vives are lighter than the older ones.

Honestly even if it's the heavier one, $250 cheaper than a new one is worth the slight weight difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom