• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Picked up Rick and Morty a few days ago and got a lot of enjoyment out of it. Seems like a good game to show off to friends if they like the show.

I realized this is my first VR pickup in a few months so I figured I'd ask, what's been everyone's top VR game that's come out this year so far?
Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter

Massive amount of content, many VR options for control preferences, incredibly solid tech, fun fast-paced gameplay, full campaign coop. What's not to like?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I tried matchmaking in RD but had no luck. I'd really like to check out the co-op. I just played a bit of rec room and multiplayer VR is ridiculous.

low-G

Picked up Rick and Morty a few days ago and got a lot of enjoyment out of it. Seems like a good game to show off to friends if they like the show.

I realized this is my first VR pickup in a few months so I figured I'd ask, what's been everyone's top VR game that's come out this year so far?

Robo Recall by far. Original product that innately uses VR in a lot of ways which couldn't be done outside of VR (huge interactivity with enemies and projectiles). Incredible polish and a decent bit of content.

Doesn't count as a game, but OVRdrop is getting used almost everyone time I use my Vive. A lot of VR games are perfect to watch stuff with, especially slower games like Vivecraft, Tilt Brush, Elite Dangerous or VRChat.

There's something incredible about building a house in Vivecraft, placing the OVRdrop screen onto a wall, pulling up a chair and sitting in the home you created to watch some Netflix.

Awesome recommendation, thanks! This looks perfect for Elite.

Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter

Massive amount of content, many VR options for control preferences, incredibly solid tech, fun fast-paced gameplay, full campaign coop. What's not to like?

I still need to pick up the First Encounter! Is the second one better or should I start with the first?

Robo Recall by far. Original product that innately uses VR in a lot of ways which couldn't be done outside of VR (huge interactivity with enemies and projectiles). Incredible polish and a decent bit of content.

I've been avoiding the Oculus store, but Robo Recall is one of the games that makes me want to install ReVive. I'll break one of these days.

low-G

So how long is the Rick and Morty game if I take my time?

I completed it in 1.6 hours while taking my time and a lot of restarts on puzzles.

I still need to pick up the First Encounter! Is the second one better or should I start with the first?

I wanna chip in because I own both and I like them a lot too. I generally prefer FE because of the Egyptian theme. Level design is a bit tighter overall, but the most serious stuff only happens in SE (huge scope, way bigger battles, and of course a lot of variety).

kinggroin

Banned
If you reeeeally take your time? Maybe 3 hours. Maybe.

I completed it in 1.6 hours while taking my time and a lot of restarts on puzzles.

I wanna chip in because I own both and I like them a lot too. I generally prefer FE because of the Egyptian theme. Level design is a bit tighter overall, but the most serious stuff only happens in SE (huge scope, way bigger battles, and of course a lot of variety).

Next question. Worth it?

If you reeeeally take your time? Maybe 3 hours. Maybe.

It's a teensy bit longer than that, but yeah. With just one critical path and a few minigames, it feels less fleshed out than Job Simulator did. Maybe it's because I did complete Job Simulator, but that garage got boring in a hurry. The most interesting thing is the Youseeks, which mostly just help you reach things outside of your play area.

The weird thing is, they clearly put a lot of work into the machine that combines things, but it's hardly used, mostly for secrets post-game.

Next question. Worth it?

I think $30 is a little expensive for the content at hand, but if you're a big R&M fan, you won't feel burned. $20-$25 would have felt better though. That said, there's a lot of stuff to play around with (similar to Job Simulator) and little easter eggs and collectibles to discover and it does have some activities that you can replay.

cakefoo

So I want to give anti-nausea measures a try, but I'm not sure what to get. I've seen some people claim they had luck with ginger candies, which should I get?
Gin Gins get a thumbs up from me. Tribal Instincts uses them too.

I sometimes still get a slight headache, but I never ever get the queases.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Been looking into serious Sam and apparently it adopts the movement system from onward. Or at least as one of the options.. started looking up onward and seems kinda interesting. I guess Valve had the guy out for a residency for a while or something? How is that game? Anyone play it?

cakefoo

Been looking into serious Sam and apparently it adopts the movement system from onward. Or at least as one of the options.. started looking up onward and seems kinda interesting. I guess Valve had the guy out for a residency for a while or something? How is that game? Anyone play it?
It gets a lot of praise, but I didn't personally have the patience for it. Pavlov VR is considered more fast-paced, but even then, I still felt overwhelmed. I just want a simple arcadey shooter- something with the simplistic gunplay of Quell 4D, but with deathmatch multiplayer.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dang Superhot is sick as hell.
Revive was essentially plug and play. The controllers and chaperone boundary seem every so slightly off compared to a native vive game but other than that it was a super quick and easy setup.

SomTervo

Onward is cool but a very slow military sim. If that sounds like your bag, go for it. I'm more into Pavlov VR which is basically Counter Strike in vr

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Onward is cool but a very slow military sim. If that sounds like your bag, go for it. I'm more into Pavlov VR which is basically Counter Strike in vr

I'm gonna have to check that out.

Just played through (some) of the Rise of Jumbotron for Rec Room. It really is a reimagining of Time Crisis in VR and I'm pretty strict about that label.

The Rec Room devs are doing some amazing work.

Just played through (some) of the Rise of Jumbotron for Rec Room. It really is a reimagining of Time Crisis in VR and I'm pretty strict about that label.

I already loved the last quest mission they did, and they managed to top it with Jumbotron. Hope they start adding more levels in those theme sets. A survival mode could be really awesome too.

Rec Room is probably the best VR game to me at the moment. And it's free.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

I played some of that too this morning! It was so cool! It was my first multiplayer experience. I was playing catch in the lockerroom and then just walked through a door and all of a sudden I was in it. Its really really cool. God dang. I almost forgot I'd even done that today.

I'm really knocking my controllers into the ceiling/walls a lot. I think I need to get some of those rubber covers for them. I also want to get a leather cushion. I Just had the foam come into contact with my eyes by accident when I was dodging a bullet like morpheus and my eyes are still burning from it.

Moondrop

Banned
Do many people use a second screen to broadcast what's going on inside the headset when showing off the system? And do y'all run that from HDMI out on the motherboard? I see some references to "displayport" but I'm unfamiliar with this cable.

"Do many people use a second screen to broadcast what's going on inside the headset when showing off the system? And do y'all run that from HDMI out on the motherboard? I see some references to "displayport" but I'm unfamiliar with this cable."

Most games will already have a game window visible on your main monitor, no extra cable or display necessary.

Moondrop

Banned
Most games will already have a game window visible on your main monitor, no extra cable or display necessary.
Ah ok, that's what people meant by "one eye mirroring." Thanks. Just making sure I pick the right components.

Edit: but wait, and this is so noob but we're already down the rabbit hole- from what port do people typically run their main monitor if most cards have one HDMI out? Isn't that for the Vive itself? Or I guess just DVI.

"Ah ok, that's what people meant by "one eye mirroring." Thanks. Just making sure I pick the right components.

Edit: but wait, and this is so noob but we're already down the rabbit hole- from what port do people typically run their main monitor if most cards have one HDMI out? Isn't that for the Vive itself? Or I guess just DVI."

Depends on the card. My 1080 only has 1 HDMI, 1 DVI, and the rest are displayport. However, an update at some point last year made my Vive not work well when my second monitor was connected to the DVI port and I had to use an HDMI to Displayport adapter. Valve support said Vive is finnicky with monitors using a DVI port.

Short answer: Use HDMI or Displayport (use HDMI to Displayport adapters if necessary) for your monitor(s).

Moondrop

Banned
Great stuff, much appreciated.

Just remembered today that I owned a Virtual Boy back in the day, so I think my VR bonafides are legit. ;)

derFeef

So I have my base stations mounted to walls but I want a better, more portable solution. If I set them on tripods or clamps, do I have to run the whole room setup again everytime I set them up, even if it's in roughly the same place?

FSLink

Banned
So I have my base stations mounted to walls but I want a better, more portable solution. If I set them on tripods or clamps, do I have to run the whole room setup again everytime I set them up, even if it's in roughly the same place?
You don't have to but it's highly suggested just to make sure it's accurate. It doesn't take long to do the room setup anyway.

Durante

Yes, "roughly" doesn't really cut it when you are talking about microseconds of time differentials to get accurate positions :p

I generally wouldn't call tripods or clamps a "better" solution than wall mounting, also because of potential wobble etc. More portable, sure.

derFeef

I guess so, thanks! I have good, heavy and stable tripods so that should not be a problem. Do you ever use the quick room setup? That only works well for clear, square spaces I guess?
Edit: Also started watching Rick and Morty because I want to paly that VR game :)

Temperatures outside are down a little and my room is a bit cold, so I'm standing in the middle of my room with my VR headset on, exploring a cave in the Solus Project and getting hypothermia warnings in the game. I stopped for second and thought about how cool this felt (pun intended), I'm in a cold environment in the game and I actually feel a little frosty in my on room. This game is great!

Lol, next step is to get the Vive to interface with your thermostat, so the temperature can be adjusted to match the game. Just beware your electricity bills in the summer!

low-G

I guess so, thanks! I have good, heavy and stable tripods so that should not be a problem. Do you ever use the quick room setup? That only works well for clear, square spaces I guess?

Yeah I'm curious about quick room setup too, is there any drawbacks, seems to work much better than normal room setup. I use Oculus so I get the Oculus guardian no matter what anyways (but small room fits my space pretty well).

It is such a blast - and you can't win if you don't coordinate, which is good.

Got quite far with just one other guy, and we kept talking to each other, so we wouldn't get ambushed from behind - best fun I had in a multiplayer game in a long time.

Also super-glad they didn't go down the gritty road. Was already scared enough with cartoon enemies.

atom519

Do many people use a second screen to broadcast what's going on inside the headset when showing off the system? And do y'all run that from HDMI out on the motherboard? I see some references to "displayport" but I'm unfamiliar with this cable.

As another gaffer pointed out, if you have a Steam Link it will mirror the video/audio to your TV and works rather well if you don't want to run video cables.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I Expect You To Die is now up on Steam!

Also, Batman Arkham VR coming out in less than 2 hours

Serious Sam TFE is a ton of fun. I played it way too much last night. Can't believe I've been holding off on getting this.

Following up my last recommendations request, are there any new "simple" kinds of games/experiences to demo to people not really into gaming? My go-tos for that are Google Earth, SPT, Job Simulator, Zombie Training Simulator, Richie's Plank Experience, and Fruit Ninja.

I Expect You To Die is now up on Steam!

This looks cool. Is it worth the price?

collige

Banned
Serious Sam TFE is a ton of fun. I played it way too much last night. Can't believe I've been holding off on getting this. Following up my last recommendations request, are there any new "simple" kinds of games/experiences to demo to people not really into gaming? My go-tos for that are Google Earth, SPT, Job Simulator, Zombie Training Simulator, Richie's Plank Experience, and Fruit Ninja.
theBlu, Holoball, Trials on Tatooine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom