• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Just played a round of Sairento version 0.2 and got a freeze enemy bug.

The game is harder than before, which is good

cakefoo

Feels good man (Mind OVR Matter)

MmBLDCw.gif

How long did it take you to finish the game?

Steam says 3 hours, which doesn't sound like much, but it felt like a complete experience by the end. It told a story that had a conclusion and doesn't feel like the devs ran out of time or skipped stuff in any other elements of the game.

chekhonte

Does anybody else suffer from some stuttering with sli? It's not a lot but since I disabled it I get much less. This is even in the vr white room so I can't image it's hardware limitations with two Titan X. It's only noticeable when moving my head and maybe one stutter every 5 seconds or so. Is there a remedy for this?

Wow just finally messed around with Revive and Lucky's Tale is seriously one of the coolest VR experiences I've ever had. I really enjoyed just sitting down with an Xbone Controller and controlling that little guy through several levels. It almost makes me wish more Vive games had the option for a couch experience. Room-scale is nice and all, but there's only so much standing I want to do during a gaming session. Fantastic game.

Are there any other must-play Oculus games on their store?

Ionic

We're never getting VR support for RE7 on PC, are we

:(

I remember reading there's simply a one year PSVR exclusivity period. I'm sure the day that's done you'll suddenly see VR support appear on PC. After all, why sign a temporary exclusivity agreement if you never plan on releasing on other platforms anyway?

vermadas

Wow just finally messed around with Revive and Lucky's Tale is seriously one of the coolest VR experiences I've ever had. I really enjoyed just sitting down with an Xbone Controller and controlling that little guy through several levels. It almost makes me wish more Vive games had the option for a couch experience. Room-scale is nice and all, but there's only so much standing I want to do during a gaming session. Fantastic game.

(In before Tain) Chronos if you're looking for more seated stuff.

Tainted

I bought the Serious Sam VR bundle over the weekend and I am very impressed with what Croteam are doing.

Playing SS FE and SE with motion sickness off in classic movement is certainly a fantastic experience, but I could not handle it for longer than about 15mins. I need to get used to the controls as well.....but it is pretty amazing.

At this stage, I probably got more enjoyment from the Last Hope as it is a standing experience. Croteam's efforts are an excellent example of what can be done with VR...I am excited to see what Bethesda does with Fallout VR now

I remember reading there's simply a one year PSVR exclusivity period. I'm sure the day that's done you'll suddenly see VR support appear on PC. After all, why sign a temporary exclusivity agreement if you never plan on releasing on other platforms anyway?

I chased that 1-year exclusivity rumor, and there's no credible source for it. Even if that were true, that doesn't mean Capcom will deem it worthwhile to add PCVR support that long after launch. I'd be elated to be wrong, but for now I'm not getting my hopes up.

Moondrop

Banned
Brothers and sisters, I have returned from the promised land, and I bear witness to its glory.

For my first experience I picked The Lab, then specifically the longbow game, and it immediately showed me the power of VR. I doubt I would enjoy this game as a FPS/tower defense hybrid on a PC monitor, but standing on the battlements myself made all the difference.

I had my first "so immersed I crashed into the wall" moment with the solar system model in The Lab. I figured out that you could pluck planets out of their orbits and mix-and-match them. However the "slots" for Mercury and Venus move pretty quickly. I was juggling four different planets in front of me, I saw the orbital slot I wanted shooting past me, so I chased after it. Fortunately my toe took the brunt of it.

I played 6/8 of The Lab's mini-games and only briefly Xortex 26XX, but that might be my favorite one- a brilliant homage to classic arcade games. Then I took a nap- I think I may be wildly out of shape.

For round 2, I started with Google Earth to warm up. It was truly awe inspiring to hop all over the world so quickly- especially when you've been around a bit. But the pop-in with the graphics is kind of amusing. I don't know if it's the sheer volume to be rendered or my rig/settings, but the muddy graphics plus perspective were giving me strong Sim City 2000 vibes.

And lastly I played the Budget Cuts demo. Super impressive demonstration of multiple systems, and very fun. I got slaughtered by the very first robot, but then beat it on my second try. You could really feel the depth of the learning curve in combat- first survival, then using your traditional video game skills, then figuring out new VR tricks like porting behind once spotted and a quick 180 + knife to the back. Taking out two robots at once definitely had my heart in my throat.

I'm having a great time so far, and I love how the games feel like unique VR experiences. But I don't think my mind has blown out the back of my skull quite yet. Next: probably Rec Room.

ArtHands

I chased that 1-year exclusivity rumor, and there's no credible source for it. Even if that were true, that doesn't mean Capcom will deem it worthwhile to add PCVR support that long after launch. I'd be elated to be wrong, but for now I'm not getting my hopes up.

Capcom will most probably do a re-release "Complete Edition" next year with all the DLCs include VR for PC as a selling point.

ArtHands

They said they are looking into having RE7 sell 10m over long term, which will include the re-release and stuffs, so I'll imagine them pulling all the tricks they have got to get to that goal.

Not Oculus, but if you're up for another 3D platformer I've heard people say that Yooka Laylee works exceptionally well with a VR mod.

SteamVR Home is a dream come true. A homespace with unlockable customizable, colorable and resizable objects/furniture, so cool.

I can already easily picture the "Buy Deluxe Edition of 'game' and unlock this exclusive toy in SteamVR Home" promos. The unlockables are already integrated into Inventories and are Markettable. Or getting cool unlockables as achievements in games, real (virtual) trophies.

Being able to jump into random people's lobbies is super cool, as is the weekly geocaches for continual content. I can't wait to see what the future holds for this because it's already amazing.

This reminds me of an idea I had way back during launch.

Oh, man, can you imagine a steam trading card like system where instead of cards you got pets or virtual objects/props for your virtual rooms (think profile pages) that you could trade...

Which lead me to remember this game Idea I had posted that still hasn't happened yet which makes me :( because it totally should because it is awesome and I want it. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Alright. So I've been sitting on this VR game idea for a while now trying to figure out how to best express what I am envisioning so I don't look stupid lol.
I've probably butchered it (;¬_¬)

Disclaimer, I am a VRgin. But all of the Ideas that I have formulated were made using the data from all of the VR demos and reviews that I have seen/read about and how I understand VR at this point. This is obviously open ended and I would love input on what could work better or what wouldn't work at all as long as the main idea stays in tact.

So, I was trying to come up with a way to utilize all of the "proven" ideas and tools that we have at our disposal so far in one game.

What I envision is a hybrid VR first person multiplayer team based turn based game in the vein of XCOM/Divinity that would heavily utilize environment physics, proximity chat and sound design. With the possible option of a single player campaign where you can take control of each character.

Magic:
My dream is for a fantasy style game with a time period and magic system akin to the lightbringer series. It's such a unique idea for magic mechanics and since VR is a whole new world I would just love to see more non traditional forms of fantasy being experimented with. You can read more about Chromaturgy here. I think a form of this where you start off very weak but potentially gain strength late game would work well in a multiplayer tactical game given all of the various uses and use cases for the different colors.

Traversal:
This is the hardest part to figure out and nothing is really set in stone as far as a locomotion method. Since there hasn't been a breakthrough in locomotion for huge environments yet I was trying to tackle the problem of utilizing every ones play space while still being in a huge and very interactive environment. I think the best idea that I have seen so far other than hover junkers is the teleportation method from budget cuts and I think that would fit well for this style of game. I really like the cover and movement mechanics of XCOM as well as the way that geography is designed to utilize these so well and I think that would translate well when I think about it in terms of VR.

Traversal Interface:
So, you would aim at the spot that you want to move and you would see a "Ring of interaction" which represents the immediate area in which you can move and interact with the game world even after your turn (This will vary depending on your AP) as well as a ring that represents your room scale boundaries and where you can walk IRL. You will only be able to teleport within the "Ring of Interaction" while it is still your turn, you will only be able to move within your roomscale space when your turn is over. This prevents people from cheesing by teleporting while it is another players turn and He is trying to attack you. However you can still try to dodge attacks within your roomscale while waiting for your next turn. If that makes sense lol.

You would also obviously see rings for any buffs/debuffs active as well.

Movement and environment mechanics:
The idea is to give the player freedom of interaction with the game world within a certain distance that would feel natural for VR. Think picking or even setting locks on anything a lock would be on, setting traps behind cover, Setting up cover with magic or skills, setting a wagon on fire and pushing it, harvesting materials, looting bodies, picking up rocks to throw, setting things on fire with torches, Putting fire out with water or other means, taking cover, etc. Certain actions can only be done on your turn with AP like moving and attacking but others can be done while waiting your turn. It should be risky to not pay attention to what the other team is doing while you are waiting your turn. For example, you could be attacked while your back is turned trying to pick a lock or set up cover in time for your next turn. So, do you try to set up defense first or look for resources? Keep your eye on the enemy or pick a lock to a door barring your way? Lookout for a teammate or stay hidden behind cover? This is where delegation, communication and teamwork really comes in to play in a multiplayer game.

How turns work:
So as with most tactical turn based games everyone would have AP. I don't really know what actions to delegate to AP spendage yet. I'm thinking just movement outside of your "Ring of Interaction", enemy engagement with physical and projectile attacks as well as offensive, defensive and healing magic. I haven't really worked out a turn stat system either, I just haven't taken the time to think about that. In my mind it's more traditional like Divinity but I'd like to work something special for VR for while you are waiting for your turn. Example, after finishing your turn you then have the option to perform one of many risky, time consuming but beneficial tasks. If you finish this task in time you gain that bonus, but if you fail to complete the task by your next turn you lose AP and risk losing your spot in line for your next turn.

Since this is a VR First Person game that would use proximity chat, loosing line of sight of your enemy should be very risky but potentially very rewarding at the same time. If you are inside of a building away from your team trying to gain resources or an advantageous position you will only see the timer for your next turn and cannot see enemy positions. You will however be able to hear things as you would IRL. So this means that stuff like explosion or ringing of steal will be audible at believable distances and these could be your only indicators of what is going on. Hiding around corners or looking through door key holes should allow you to hear conversations or just hear better what is on the other side.

This will be handy and at the same time risky for setting up ambushes and such. Say you are a rogue class and the group leader gives you the task of setting up an ambush and the go signal is an explosion. You take your time meticulously and nervously working your way around the edge of the map to the ambush spot and wait for the signal. Suddenly you hear an explosion and see smoke but it's not where you know your teammates where... So do you go ahead and make the ambush next turn?

Anyway, I have lots more potential rough ideas for it like a spotting system for stealth and non stealth depending on your class. Ie if you haven't been spotted you gain a buff when attacking and for tanks or berserkers they can draw your "spot" and debuff you by doing so but are debuffed if not spotted themselves. The catch is that you only have one "spot" chance to use per turn initially and you cannot attack someone at full force that isn't spotted so they will only take a small amount of collateral damage from traps, explosions and rogue projectiles etc.

Just throwing the idea out there lol. If someone with more experience with this than I (read none lol) actually likes it I would seriously be up to working on it with them and maybe presenting it to some developers or something.

IDK, I'm just really excited for VR but am probably getting ahead of myself lol.

vermadas

Not Oculus, but if you're up for another 3D platformer I've heard people say that Yooka Laylee works exceptionally well with a VR mod.

I was excited to try this, but the camera in the game was far too erratic for it to be enjoyable.

There's also Mervils which looks fairly pedestrian graphically but I've heard it's good. Haven't tried it myself.

Tainted

Brothers and sisters, I have returned from the promised land, and I bear witness to its glory.

For my first experience I picked The Lab, then specifically the longbow game, and it immediately showed me the power of VR. I doubt I would enjoy this game as a FPS/tower defense hybrid on a PC monitor, but standing on the battlements myself made all the difference.

I had my first "so immersed I crashed into the wall" moment with the solar system model in The Lab. I figured out that you could pluck planets out of their orbits and mix-and-match them. However the "slots" for Mercury and Venus move pretty quickly. I was juggling four different planets in front of me, I saw the orbital slot I wanted shooting past me, so I chased after it. Fortunately my toe took the brunt of it.

I played 6/8 of The Lab's mini-games and only briefly Xortex 26XX, but that might be my favorite one- a brilliant homage to classic arcade games. Then I took a nap- I think I may be wildly out of shape.

For round 2, I started with Google Earth to warm up. It was truly awe inspiring to hop all over the world so quickly- especially when you've been around a bit. But the pop-in with the graphics is kind of amusing. I don't know if it's the sheer volume to be rendered or my rig/settings, but the muddy graphics plus perspective were giving me strong Sim City 2000 vibes.

And lastly I played the Budget Cuts demo. Super impressive demonstration of multiple systems, and very fun. I got slaughtered by the very first robot, but then beat it on my second try. You could really feel the depth of the learning curve in combat- first survival, then using your traditional video game skills, then figuring out new VR tricks like porting behind once spotted and a quick 180 + knife to the back. Taking out two robots at once definitely had my heart in my throat.

I'm having a great time so far, and I love how the games feel like unique VR experiences. But I don't think my mind has blown out the back of my skull quite yet. Next: probably Rec Room.

That's a solid introduction to VR. Definitely have a go of Rec Room, I've clocked a few hours in it already and it is rather fun.

I personally recommend these titles as well for those fun/less serious VR experiences:

Portal Stories VR (Free)
Nvidia Funhouse (Free)
Job Simulator
VR Ping Pong
Pierhead Arcade
Carnival Games VR
God of Arrows VR

chekhonte

That's promising. I guess I'm glad I haven't bought it yet on the off chance that they try to sell it again as a GotY VR edition.

Moondrop

Banned
That's a solid introduction to VR. Definitely have a go of Rec Room, I've clocked a few hours in it already and it is rather fun.

I personally recommend these titles as well for those fun/less serious VR experiences:

Portal Stories VR (Free)
Nvidia Funhouse (Free)
Job Simulator
VR Ping Pong
Pierhead Arcade
Carnival Games VR
God of Arrows VR
Thanks, added to the list. My current shortlist is Job Simulator, Space Pirate Trainer, Tilt Brush, Superhot, Windlands, SoundStage, Audioshield, Thumper, and theBlu.

My dilemma now is whether to hold out for the Steam summer sale.

ArtHands

I have been hearing lots of good words for to the top

I will buy it and play tonight

I meant OpenVR Advanced Settings. Looks like a new update got pushed for it though.

I've tried the newest version, crashes everytime I try to use the advanced menu... don't know why?

(Last time I first had to disable/unmark the checkbox "load at start" for a newer version to get installed properly, as Steam VR has to be running when using the installer without having the older version running. Now I can't even uncheck that box as it always crashes when trying to get to it. I figured it would probably work when installing the newest version after it has crashed... and there was no error message, but maybe that messed something else up?)

-

Another topic, I finally managed to break my headphones in half. It's not the first time I snapped headphones in two but this is my first VR related headphone death... gotta look for some more durable stuff next time. Shit is flimsy!

Durante

I bought the Serious Sam VR bundle over the weekend and I am very impressed with what Croteam are doing.

Playing SS FE and SE with motion sickness off in classic movement is certainly a fantastic experience, but I could not handle it for longer than about 15mins. I need to get used to the controls as well.....but it is pretty amazing.

At this stage, I probably got more enjoyment from the Last Hope as it is a standing experience
Why don't you play FE and SE while standing too? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Anyway, I'm up to 20+ hours between FE and SE, all with teleport movement, no artificial rotation, and 0 sickness.

I've tried the newest version, crashes everytime I try to use the advanced menu... don't know why?
It's working for me. (SteamVR beta + latest version of OVR Advanced Settings)

ArtHands

There are some segments which are not optimized for VR locomotion in Serious Sam TSE and I ended up dying. Such as the spike ceiling room, the rotating platform etc.

Tainted

Why don't you play FE and SE while standing too? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Anyway, I'm up to 20+ hours between FE and SE, all with teleport movement, no artificial rotation, and 0 sickness.

It's working for me. (SteamVR beta + latest version of OVR Advanced Settings)

Sorry....what I mean is, I was playing FE/SE in classic non-teleport mode (ie using the touchpad on the vive controller for movement) which was making me pretty queasy after a very short period. I might try FE/SE in teleport mode and see if it is better.

Last hope being a wave based shooter standing in the one spot and not moving.

I was standing for both, I was just getting the terminology wrong :)

ArtHands

You can combine both incremental movement and teleportation in Serious Sam TSE. I used teleportation for long distance, and another motion controller for incremental movement

ArtHands

What the fuck you just decapitated the geisha lol 😂 But yah the new update is great

I just played Twisted Arrow, its really a great game too. The energy shield and bow/arrow makes me feel like i am Agent Coulson from AOS and Hawkeye from Avengers.

I will try Vindicta next

There are too many good vr games in recent months and i need to catch up!

Durante

(Last time I first had to disable/unmark the checkbox "load at start" for a newer version to get installed properly, as Steam VR has to be running when using the installer without having the older version running. Now I can't even uncheck that box as it always crashes when trying to get to it. I figured it would probably work when installing the newest version after it has crashed... and there was no error message, but maybe that messed something else up?)
Did you try simply replacing all the files? That's how I updated it.

Did you try simply replacing all the files? That's how I updated it.

I deleted the entire folder for the old Advanced Settings and then put the new folder with the new version there... I'll have to double check when I'm home, maybe I messed something up. In case nothing works I'll be reinstalling Steam VR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom