• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Despera

Banned
Is there a Vive thread that isn't about shipping? I understand that y'all need to talk about shipping issues, but I'm having a hard time finding the thread that is impressions from people who are already using the device.
Me too. I wish we had a separate thread for shipping complaints.

Gonna repost since I didnt get an answer 250 posts ago

Measured my bedroom and if I had desks and only my shelves, I've got about 12x9

Measured my office and because of my drums and hedgehog, I've got about 8.5x7 feet with my desk in there right now

Am I good? Should I just live in my garage which is like 30x25?

Animator

Upload ‏@UploadVR 5m5 minutes ago
#VanishingRealms is like @Wizards_DnD meets #Zelda in #VR. Full review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RauvvV4QAHQ

Pros:
+ Incredibly immersive
+ Challenging combat
+ Showcases room-scale
+ Strong sense of presence

Cons:
- Weak graphics
- Clunky inventory

"far and away one of my favorite launch games for the HTC Vive"

8 out of 10

Didn't know about uploadVR. Thanks for the link, I like their reviews a lot.

It's feeling like I need to pick up audio shield and vanishing realms on top of my other choices.

How is the included music in audio shield?

I strongly recommend just adding whatever you have in iTunes/fubar/winamp to your Steam library.

I'm not touching the Soundcloud songs until i know how to close that fuckin browser.

#VanishingRealms is like @Wizards_DnD meets #Zelda in #VR. Full review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RauvvV4QAHQ

Pros:
+ Incredibly immersive
+ Challenging combat
+ Showcases room-scale

Cons:
- Weak graphics
- Clunky inventory

8 out of 10
fuck man. alright, this and TheBlu. Too many games already me thinks. I played several hours yesterday and only got through Fantastic Contraption, Job Simulator and Audioshield. whewlad.

Mikeside

I hope we see some more rhythm games other than just Audioshield

I mean, I'll probably love Audioshield, but I see this kind of motion control along with VR being the biggest thing for music based games in a long time. I'd love to see what developers can come up with. Especially if I can plug my own tunes in.

Schryver

For all shipment related issues, please use this thread going forward:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1205928

Done!
Thanks Viveks!
Since I will be waiting for a month...Speaking of Soundcloud I was listening to it on my way to work this morning. It used to be practically ad-free but today I got one every 2 songs. I believe they just added a new premium subscription option which would explain that bullshit. Every 2 songs is waaay excessive. Really annoying

Z3M0G

Watching this video of the tips on SteamVR and HTC Vive home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpeW-lxccK0

it seems the HTC VIVE Home portal is a much nicer user interface ..i didn't realize it was seperate from steamvr home
I wonder if there's away to make that the default for Vive

The fact the home room is a 3d space you can move around in vs just the 360 degree photo could be awesome if people can build home environments

This is amazing, and makes me quite upset that PSVR won't have a camera on the front of the headset to show you the real world at any time you like... that is so damn useful, and should be standard across all VR headsets. Especially if it can work this seamlessly!

Compsiox

Banned
This thread was posted 6 days after the Oculus one and has already caught up in page numbers.

I think that's pretty crazy if you ask me.

viveks86

Since I will be waiting for a month...Speaking of Soundcloud I was listening to it on my way to work this morning. It used to be practically ad-free but today I got one every 2 songs. I believe they just added a new premium subscription option which would explain that bullshit. Every 2 songs is waaay excessive. Really annoying

Wow. That's awful! Guess they now see that people are willing to pay for their removal

Compsiox

Banned
Today's schedule:

• Audioshield
  • Finish Budget Cuts Demo
  • Vanishing Realms
  • Hover Junkers
  • Cloudlands Minigolf
  • AltspaceVR

Going to be an an aaaamazing day ;-;

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I strongly recommend just adding whatever you have in iTunes/fubar/winamp to your Steam library.

I'm not touching the Soundcloud songs until i know how to close that fuckin browser.

fuck man. alright, this and TheBlu. Too many games already me thinks. I played several hours yesterday and only got through Fantastic Contraption, Job Simulator and Audioshield. whewlad.

I don't have anything local, it all comes off my Nas. Might copy a few prodigy albums across to my PC. Can't imagine it'd work so well with my 80s pop :)

viveks86

I wish they'd fix the menus and leaderboards in Audioshield to be more first gen VR friendly. It's a jaggy, glare-y mess. The game itself looks beautiful with 8xMSAA and Ultra

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any good tripod clamps in the uk/Europe? The pedco ones recommended on Amazon.com are way too expensive here - £30 each.

Zalusithix

Measured my office and because of my drums and hedgehog, I've got about 8.5x7 feet with my desk in there right now

Both are technically viable going by min specs, but the bedroom should give more freedom before you're faced with the chaperone bounds. The garage would make a great area, but probably isn't the most practical...

This thread was posted 6 days after the Oculus one and has already caught up in page numbers.

I think that's pretty crazy if you ask me.
Not really. Very few people have their Rift and the shipping delay talk settled down when they made it clear that the next batch would likely be on the 12th.
In here, people either have a Vive or are in the midst of shipping confusion.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Pros:
+ Incredibly immersive
+ Challenging combat
+ Showcases room-scale

Cons:
- Weak graphics
- Clunky inventory

8 out of 10

Completed chapter 1 (of 2) last night, took me about 2 hours.

I'm really impressed. By far one of the best showcases of what you can do with roomscale.

Any good tripod clamps in the uk/Europe? The pedco ones recommended on Amazon.com are way too expensive here - £30 each.

Was looking at Gorillapods myself, but they are quite expensive and don't really make sense if you don't plan to move them around constantly

I don't have anything local, it all comes off my Nas. Might copy a few prodigy albums across to my PC. Can't imagine it'd work so well with my 80s pop :)

If your NAS is listed as a drive or set of drives on your computer, you can connect Steam to it.

I wish they'd fix the menus and leaderboards in Audioshield to be more first gen VR friendly. It's a jaggy, glare-y mess. The game itself looks beautiful with 8xMSAA and Ultra

I didn't even know the game has visual options. :O

Looks great by default.

trying Command velcro tape for today and the foreseeable future.

This shit is strong as hell. The only way these things come off the wall is if the pull off the paint. I think you can buy with confidence.

trying Command velcro tape for today and the foreseeable future.

This shit is strong as hell. The only way these things come off the wall is if the pull off the paint. I think you can buy with confidence.

You talking about using it for the Lighthoues? I'm sure they'll work initially, the worry is just that over time the vibration from the spinning motors inside will work them loose.

Otherwise you're right, that stuff is pretty impressive.

Monger

So how is the noise of the base stations?

Does it change based on the mounting method? Is there a gasket on the wall mounts to decouple them from the wall?

I don't know because I don't have my Vive yet but you could always do what I did in preparation while waiting if you want to stay in your bedroom and are worried. I built a Murphy bed and now have double the space, 15X10!

You talking about using it for the Lighthoues? I'm sure they'll work initially, the worry is just that over time the vibration from the spinning motors inside will work them loose.

Otherwise you're right, that stuff is pretty impressive.

They don't vibrate much at all. Very gentle vibrations. They're not going to pull Command tape that's rated at holding 4lbs.

I'll keep an eye on them and inspect them after a week and report back. They feel much more solid than my photo stands, which are prone to a wee bit of wobbling. Hasn't been an issue but the Command tape was only $4 so I figure a review is worth the time.

A very soft hum that you can only hear in a quiet room. They turn themselves off when you turn off SteamVR if you configure it to do so in the SteamVR settings.

Sky Chief

I played the prologue for Irrational Exuberance last night and really enjoyed it. Very trippy and cool interactive room scale experience. Hasn't heard anything about it but I recommend it especially because it's free.

Anybody tried #selfietennis? Is it worthwhile? What about Descent?

kinggroin

Banned
I played the prologue for Irrational Exuberance last night and really enjoyed it. Very trippy and cool interactive room scale experience. Hasn't heard anything about it but I recommend it especially because it's free.

Anybody tried #selfietennis? Is it worthwhile? What about Descent?

selfietennis is more tech demo/concept than full fledged game. You basically just hit the ball back and forth to yourself.

No idea on Descent.

Sky Chief

A very soft hum that you can only hear in a quiet room. They turn themselves off when you turn off SteamVR if you configure it to do so in the SteamVR settings.

I tried this and then the next time I played my base stations would not wake. Took a ton of troubleshooting, unplugging, and reinstalling to get anything to work again so I recommend not setting them to automatically turn off.

viveks86

I tried this and then the next time I played my base stations would not wake. Took a ton of troubleshooting, unplugging, and reinstalling to get anything to work again so I recommend not setting them to automatically turn off.

I had issues with waking up only when I mess around with the settings, manually restart the headset etc. After that it has been working just fine.

I'll keep my eyes open. No issues here so far. Except not knowing how to close a browser window in VR...

viveks86

Does it change based on the mounting method? Is there a gasket on the wall mounts to decouple them from the wall?

It would change based on mounting method. The mounts provided have the lighthouse on a rotating ball joint, so it is practically suspended off the wall. When it's running and there is no other ambient sounds, you can hear a faint hum with the default mounting setup

Sky Chief

I had issues with waking up only when I mess around with the settings, manually restart the headset etc. After that it has been working just fine.

I'll keep my eyes open. No issues here so far. Except not knowing how to close a browser window in VR...

Are you guys using the Vive app to connect your phone? I think that in my case my issues were exacerbated because I also have my phone connected by Bluetooth using the Vive app. Just my theory.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I just read the last pages of the thread and now I understand why the new thread was needed. Now to go and finally play Vanishing Realms after all the praise I read about it.

Edit: I just tried the prologue of Irrational Exuberance and it was incredible. I got chills down my spine. The immersion is even greater than in the Lab, if that thing is possible. Really well done, I'm curious about what's next in it now.

I just read the last pages of the thread and now I understand why the new thread was needed. Now to go and finally play Vanishing Realms after all the praise I read about it.

Edit: I just tried the prologue of Irrational Exuberance and it was incredible. I got chills down my spine. The immersion is even greater than in the Lab, if that thing is possible. Really well done, I'm curious about what's next in it now.

What new thread are we talking about?

Mikeside

To be fair I think complaining about delays in shipping of launch units and the mishandling of the launch of the Vive belongs in the Vive Launch thread, but I'll drop it now my point has been made

Me too. I wish we had a separate thread for shipping complaints.

There is one on reddit its huge.

Man I have had the worst day. I plug in my vive I go to install and my internet goes to 0.1mbp for dloads, 5 hours later I come to find the desktop wireless has gone crazy after calling verizon and doing everything else.

Reallink

To be fair I think complaining about delays in shipping of launch units and the mishandling of the launch of the Vive belongs in the Vive Launch thread, but I'll drop it now my point has been made

I agree, and the repeating rhetoric by the apologists almost reads like it's coming from a script. I legitimately believe HTC has carpeted Neogaf and Reddit with turfers trying to control the dialog. Note there doesn't seem to be any issues with the Oculus OT, and there is no Oculus Shipping Issues thread AFAIK.

I agree, and the repeating rhetoric by the apologists almost reads like it's coming from a script. I legitimately believe HTC has carpeted Neogaf and Reddit with turfers trying to control the dialog. Note there doesn't seem to be any issues with the Oculus OT, and there is no Oculus Shipping Issues thread AFAIK.

Who here on GAF do you think is doing this if you don't mind me asking? I am curious now.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment

Or you know, some of us are interested in reading opinions about the hardware rather then reading a bunch of posts about people whining about not receiving their shipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom