• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Man I have had the worst day. I plug in my vive I go to install and my internet goes to 0.1mbp for dloads, 5 hours later I come to find the desktop wireless has gone crazy after calling verizon and doing everything else.

I had this happen on my desktop recently - make sure you aren't running a power cable close to your wireless adapter. I had my case lying down and the power cord was running pretty close to the USB device. Exactly the same symptoms.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I took my Vive off for a little break and I still feel the cord on my back. Like I grew a tail or something and now I still feel it despite cutting it off.

Reallink

Who here on GAF do you think is doing this if you don't mind me asking? I am curious now.

Nothing specific (I haven't dug through any post histories or anything) just a general observation. It's just really suspect how people keep repeating "They never promised anything but April" or "It's the customer's fault for not notifying their banks" like we're arguing a case in court based on technicalities and not common sense. Those aren't even valid arguments by the way, there are a bunch of people who have :00 or :01 orders that were successfully billed first attempt and are still not shipped (with no correspondence whatsoever). Obviously we know HTC admittedly shipped out of order and claimed they fixed the issue, but that clearly doesn't seem to be the case (with much later orders anecdotally continuing to ship Yesterday), which is where the continued complaints come from. Struggling to understand the motivations of some of these posters. It's not like they're having to weed through a 500k Twitch Steam Chat to find any impressions, there are maybe a few complaints each page. Just saying there's a stink of a concerted effort to hide or minimize issues or any negative press.

TheCrow

Or you know, some of us are interested in reading opinions about the hardware rather then reading a bunch of posts about people whining about not receiving their shipment.

tumblr_n4bvqz0CXZ1sfeu9qo1_500.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nothing specific (I haven't dug through any post histories or anything) just a general observation. It's just really suspect how people keep repeating "They never promised anything but April" or "It's the customer's fault for not notifying their banks" like we're arguing a case in court. Those aren't even valid arguments by the way, there are a bunch of people who have :00 or :01 orders that were successfully billed first attempt and are still not shipped (with no correspondence whatsoever). Not really seeing the motivations of some of these posters.

Nah, there are always people that like to devils advocate or nitpick technicalities in language. I don't mind a bit of it sometimes but I do find it odd when it's defending a large corporation.

viveks86

Edit: I just tried the prologue of Irrational Exuberance and it was incredible. I got chills down my spine. The immersion is even greater than in the Lab, if that thing is possible. Really well done, I'm curious about what's next in it now.

Yup. Especially when you go in not knowing what to expect. That feeling you get when you break out... so good!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
bought Audioshield and Vanishing Realms. Think I need to stop now. At least until I actually get a vive to play them on.

takoyaki

I bought two cheap tripods for the Lighthouse units today. This might be the best set-up for me right now since I can do some experimenting with what the right size of the room-scale playarea is for the room. I had it set up to be an area of roughly 2mx2.5m, but I noticed that maybe 0.5m in each direction would be ideal for games like The Gallery or Budget Cuts where you move around a lot.

Quick question about the cable that is used to connect the two Lighthouse units: Has anyone tried an extension cord yet? It looks like a standard 3.5mm AUX Audio Cable.

Mikeside

bought Audioshield and Vanishing Realms. Think I need to stop now. At least until I actually get a vive to play them on.

Tell me about it. I haven't actually bought anything yet but I've got all this in my cart:

Space Pirate Trainer
The Gallery - EP1: Call of the Starseed
Cloudlands : VR Minigolf
Vanishing Realms
Audioshield
Adventure Time: Magic Man's Head Games
Bowslinger
Pierhead Arcade
Hover Junkers
theBlu

...and I'm trying to figure out what are must haves and what I should hold off on.

Bolded are the ones I'm 100% about

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yup. Especially when you go in not knowing what to expect. That feeling you get when you break out... so good!

Yeah, I went in without knowing what to expect, as it wasn't on my "launch list" and I practically downloaded it just because it was free so I thought just about try it. Exactly that break out moment is "WOW!".

Compsiox

Banned
Tell me about it. I haven't actually bought anything yet but I've got all this in my cart:

Space Pirate Trainer
The Gallery - EP1: Call of the Starseed
Cloudlands : VR Minigolf
Vanishing Realms
Audioshield
Adventure Time: Magic Man's Head Games
Bowslinger
Pierhead Arcade
Hover Junkers
theBlu

...and I'm trying to figure out what are must haves and what I should hold off on.

Bolded are the ones I'm 100% about
TheBlu is something you would show your mom. Hover Junkers should be a definite. So should Vanishing Realms and Cloudlands.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Sooooo I just tried VR for the first time, on my VIVE. Loaded up TheBlu Whale Experience.

I'm not sure what it was, but for some reason, it was an emotional experience for me. I honestly haven't even been extremely hyped for VR (excited sure, but about as excited as any other game release). To experience the size and sheer scale of this...holy crap. I just didn't expect the kind of reaction I had.

MAN.

Did the Robot Repair game too and that was pretty hilarious. On to more games!

edit: gave it some more thought. I think, as a developer, I've been wondering what VR means to me and where the industry will go. It feels like I'm stepping into the next generation. Whether VR succeeds or fails commercially, this is a turning point. It just snuck up on me. What a wonderful thing.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Sooooo I just tried VR for the first time, on my VIVE. Loaded up TheBlu Whale Experience.

I'm not sure what it was, but for some reason, it was an emotional experience for me. I honestly haven't even been extremely hyped for VR (excited sure, but about as excited as any other game release). To experience the size and sheer scale of this...holy crap. I just didn't expect the kind of reaction I had.

MAN.

edit: gave it some more thought. I think, as a developer, I've been wondering what VR means to me and where the industry will go. It feels like I'm stepping into the next generation. Whether VR succeeds or fails commercially, this is a turning point. It just snuck up on me. What a wonderful thing.

First time using VR honestly feels like being on the ground floor of the future. There is so much promise to it, and its incredibly exciting to recognize it and be a part of it early.

Noogy

MAN.

Yep, I've really enjoyed experiences that simply give you an incredible sense of scale and of 'being there'. And slowly figuring out ways to integrate that experience as a developer, assuming this market sticks around.

Looks like HTC is picking up its NA demo program for retail.
http://www.vrfocus.com/2016/04/htc-vive-north-american-retail-partners-announced/
as everyone says ya have to try it to believe it..the more locations that have things like this setup the better

There is going to be one by me in FL. Same gamestop that had a Ps4 early with Sony. I'll swing by and try it but I already have the understanding of vr as I have used the rift. I just want to see how my glasses fit in the vive. I looked up lasik and I just don't know. That is some scary stuff and I don't want VR to be the reason I do it. Kinda silly.

Got a pair of those extendable poles someone linked earlier in the thread and a pair of clamping camera mounts to secure the lighthouses, and this setup is working pretty great! Can put them in opposing corners of my room, no screws, glue, or tape needed. Easy to break down and put in the closet if necessary.

Hale-XF11

http://www.vrfocus.com/2016/04/htc-vive-north-american-retail-partners-announced/
as everyone says ya have to try it to believe it..the more locations that have things like this setup the better

Hopefully they add more demo setups at other stores, not just Gamestop and Microsoft. The nearest demo is almost 2 hours away from me, so it's not really worth it for me to drive there. The Gamestop nearest to me is probably too small to set anything up, but I'm sure the Best Buy near me has enough space to handle it. I can't think of any other stores around here that would/could demo it. Maybe Toys R Us, but I don't picture them selling Vives anytime soon.

Compsiox

Banned
They should have in-home demoing. Call up and they'll set it up in your house to try for $20 and if you want it you just give them money and they leave it.

"I wish they would focus more on shipping and less on a demo of a product you can't buy / they can't deliver."

Different departments doing different things.

takoyaki

Has anyone been able to update the controller firmware yet? I tried different USB ports and different USB cables, turned off the other controller, restarted Steam VR, etc. The update just keeps failing.

I had a pain in the ass updating my controllers, to the point where I thought I'd bricked one at one point and had to do some weird full hard reset on it.

spannicus

"I wish they would focus more on shipping and less on a demo of a product you can't buy / they can't deliver."

Different departments doing different things.
Hehehe, you can buy korean version of Vive, shortly. 4 tracking boxes and 2 controller, 299.99
Also runs on Android. Set up easy.

cube001

I have the vive pre and I'm loving it, is there any reason to get the CV? As far as I know the only difference is the head straps, right?

takoyaki

Yep, on both. The hard reset (only on one) came after quite a while of neither updating, or not being detected, or turning off. VR came in hot, it seems.

Thanks, I'll try the hard reset method. It's all part of being an early adopter I guess, but with the Vive it really feels like being an "early early adopter" right now.

Thanks, I'll try the hard reset method. It's all part of being an early adopter I guess, but with the Vive it really feels like being an "early early adopter" right now.

It actually reminds me a lot of the Steam controller. I got it day one of the pre-launch, and it was ROUGH. They iterated really fast on the software side, though, and now the Steam Controller is the best gamepad I've ever used.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I have the vive pre and I'm loving it, is there any reason to get the CV? As far as I know the only difference is the head straps, right?

The only difference is a different strap on the HMD and the lighthouse units can be turned off through software as opposed to having to unplug them

viveks86

MAN.

Did you do the other two? They are even better, not in terms of scale, but in terms of feels. And boy, the range of feels... totally unexpected!

Did you do the other two? They are even better, not in terms of scale, but in terms of feels. And boy, the range of feels... totally unexpected!

Which one is your favorite? For me I give a slight edge to the reef but the pinnacle of the deep one is amazing! Also made me emotional. The whale one comes in third for me and by a good margin.

zeioIIDX

Holy shit.....Gulfport, MS?! This is the one and only time I've ever been happy to live in Biloxi. I am so gonna be there to try it. I have a DK1 but that's my sole experience with VR so I'm looking forward to the Vive.

taoofjord

is it safe to assume orders don't get processed/mailed on the weekends?

Word is that nothing else is going out in North America till Monday at the earliest. One popular theory on Reddit is that there may be a significant shortage so it's best to just let it come when it comes or buy it off eBay at the ridiculous price it goes for there.

If you check peak players one any of the three bundled games it shows that a few thousand Vives have shipped at best. How they weren't able to immediately fulfill all the orders made in at least the first ten minutes is beyond me. They should have moved the launch back instead of pissing people off.

viveks86

Which one is your favorite? For me I give a slight edge to the reef but the pinnacle of the deep one is amazing! Also made me emotional. The whale one comes in third for me and by a good margin.

I did the whale first, reef next and the abyss at the end. Both the reef and the abyss are excellent in their own ways. The reef was astonishingly beautiful. I was busy dicking around with the aquatic plants and I had no idea that a
giant jellyfish
was approaching me from behind. Turned around exactly as it got within touching distance and it took my breath away. The abyss was intense, and even
scary
! The atmosphere, the lighting... imagine that in a
horror game
!

taoofjord

I did the whale first, reef next and the abyss at the end. Both the reef and the abyss are excellent in their own ways. The reef was astonishingly beautiful. I was busy dicking around with the aquatic plants and I had no idea that a
giant jellyfish
was approaching me from behind. Turned around exactly as it got within touching distance and it took my breath away. The abyss was intense, and even
scary
horror game
!

I'd kill for Soma in VR!

Krejlooc

Banned

MAN.

I've said it before, and people thought I was being hyperbolic, but using the Valve Room at Dev Days was like a fucking religious experience for me. It was such a strong emotion that overcame me. It was especially cool because Michael Abrash was there in the room with you while you demoed it walking you through it. He said many people who tried it actually cried.

Barryman

giant jellyfish
scary
horror game
!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom