• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.O.P

Banned
If I don't get premium shipping after paying 61€ for it I'll not be amused. Where are you located?

Wasn't there another couple of guys that got shipped with standard mail even after paying for express? that would piss me off greatly

kaskade

Put in my order. Hopefully May is more towards the early part of the month. I haven't been this excited for tech in a long time.

Qassim

Still no shipping confirmations in the UK (that I've seen)... I think for it to make it for tomorrow, it needed to have shipped by now. :(

TheCrow

Nope, the one i read about had April 11th for delivery

Just one from reddit.

cy89RMX.png

takoyaki

Just got a shipping confirmation (Germany, PayPal, got the order confirmation 7 minutes after preorders went live). Looks like the first European orders will arrive on Tuesday/Wednesday, they are shipping them with DHL Express from the Czech Republic.

So how are you suppose to use room scale without tripping on the cord are falling flat on your face?

The cable is long, and based on impressions, you quickly develop a sense of where the cable is in proximity to your body.

Also, you're not running with this thing on; you're walking for the most part, so unless you're a complete klutz, I don't see how you'd generate enough momentum to fall over.

Soi-Fong

Awesome OT! :06 here. Still no shipping confirmation even though I got charged last Thursday from my card. Hoping for one soon. I'm Chicago btw.

kinggroin

Banned
Reposting here:
Job Simulator - Felt like I was actually there. Brain fooled. Nothing felt phony. When I did the chef order up job, it was claustrophobic. After a minute sat down IRL and chilled on the floor to take a break. Looked up and threw ingredients out the counter window (where orders are picked up) at customers. It all felt completely natural. Pulling corks out of wine bottles, multi tasking balancing food in one hand while opening the microwave door with the other. Even doing turning knobs and pushing buttons without looking because I already had my station mapped. It's scary.

Hover Junkers - Fucking hilarious seeing other avatars in multiplayer, making hand gestures and whatnot. The feeling of moving while on the hover craft was disorienting at first, but you get used to the sensation of it. Firefights was....wow...I can't even begin to explain how visceral. So satisfying physically ducking behind metal sheets I put up fortifying walls. Shooting THROUGH the tiny cracks, crevics, holes and shit...it all worked. My only gripe was the lack of any real instructions. So I got frustrated initially.

Space pirate trainer - space invaders in VR! Words can't describe how bad ass it is to physically dodge bullets in real time or deflect them off my shield. Or even more bad ass it is to reflect MY OWN bullets off my shield and into enemy clusters. The soundtrack was sick too and everything just flowed well. Hopefully this game gets more meat put on (enemy variations, more weapons, different scenarios). Still recommended.

Surgeon Simulator - It's crazy the sense of scale of all the equipment and even the patient himself. Didn't care for the fact they keep the awkward controls gimmick even for VR controllers. Just made it unnecessarily complicated and tool fun away. Even still, once I figured out how to grab shit properly, I was smashing and hacking and sawing away.

Quark - I think this is the name. So generic looking RTS, that became 1000 times for charming through VR. I played laying on my belly watching these little toys come alive and wage war. I NEED STARCRAFT FUCKING NOW.

GOLF Wind...something or other - did not play well with the size room we had, so it was awkward and clumsy. But it has potential.

Selfie Tennis - funny as hell, but...ultra shallow. More a tech demo than anything. I was able to dribble a tennis ball just fine with my tennis racket and wack bystanders off the ledge with my serves.

And that's it.

I'm just extraordinarily depressed now. Cause mine won't show up till May.

So, here's how it ended (like you probably already know from elsewhere):

HTC called me back, they got me to log into logmein123.com, insert a promo code, then establish a connection with my pc, do some stuff, then cut the connection, let me order again, and then connect again to clear the old order and confirm the new one.

I got my email confirmation right away and got back my spot in the line.

So April it is, then. Hopefully my bank doesn't fuck it up again.

HYPEEEEE

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Current speculation on Reddit for lack of Uk shipping is the possibility of a separate UK distribution so they might be able to ship later and still arrive on time. Seems highly speculative though.

And my CS call to reinstate my failed order was Saturday - plenty of time to get the Danny hing shipped to arrive this week. Come on HTC you can do it.

Mikeside

Current speculation on Reddit for lack of Uk shipping is the possibility of a separate UK distribution so they might be able to ship later and still arrive on time. Seems highly speculative though.

And my CS call to reinstate my failed order was Saturday - plenty of time to get the Danny hing shipped to arrive this week. Come on HTC you can do it.

On time means tomorrow, can't ship much later than today!

Cartman86

Banned
Haven't been this excited for something in many years, and it's something i've actually used. I really don't think the average hardcore gamer even realizes what is about to drop. In more ways than one. I've taken most of the week off for this, which i've never done before.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
This is the type of thing that is making me debate whether to downsize the size of my bed, just for more space.

TheCrow

Kinda bummed I can't sign up for fedex delivery manager since it's shipping to where I work. For all I know my vive could be coming today!

pj

Banned
Quark - I think this is the name. So generic looking RTS, that became 1000 times for charming through VR. I played laying on my belly watching these little toys come alive and wage war. I NEED STARCRAFT FUCKING NOW.

FYI the game is called Quar: something something.

Took me a while to find it because I was interested in any VRTS

You guys are fine. Probably will be getting the Vive this week, or in the direst situations, this month.

Myself on the other hand, will have to first receive it in the US and THEN send it here to my country. Im expecting it for late may :(

Talk about anxiety management.

jack....

I sold my Rift Kickstarter Edition for a ridiculous markup on eBay to buy a Vive.

So stoked to try it but I only ordered it this weekend so its going to be a while :(

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
So, here's how it ended (like you probably already know from elsewhere):

HTC called me back, they got me to log into logmein123.com, insert a promo code, then establish a connection with my pc, do some stuff, then cut the connection, let me order again, and then connect again to clear the old order and confirm the new one.

I got my email confirmation right away and got back my spot in the line.

So April it is, then. Hopefully my bank doesn't fuck it up again.

HYPEEEEE

Nice, congrats. Guess the logmein session would be so they can make sure you get through the somewhat-involved process successfully.

Alexlf

Canadian here, order went through at :02 and the money's gone from my account but no shipping info or confirmation aside from the "processing" email everyone got. Starting to sweat.

I can't stand all this will it ship, won't it ship stuff, so frustrating not knowing anything, seems like UK is the forgotten land.

Zalusithix

Wow...

The Rift box is really big. This thing must be HUGE.

Well, it does have to fit two controllers instead of one, and two relatively chunky lighthouses instead of one slim camera. Then there's the breakout box, the chargers, wall mounts, etc. It'd have taken some expert packing to get that down to Rift size.

Well, it does have to fit two controllers instead of one, and two relatively chunky lighthouses instead of one slim camera. Then there's the breakout box, the chargers, wall mounts, etc. It'd have taken some expert packing to get that down to Rift size.

5oyO7Om.png

I consider them wizards already.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

They really optimized the packaging for the DK2. That was 10x10x7. Couldn't even get it all to fit back in without zip tying the cables. Looks like they're quite a bit more generous with the Vive box. I can see a few ways to get it into a smaller box (e.g. packing the controllers back-to-back like shoes). Think they just weren't as concerned about it.

what was bad about it?

I think was a good "damn!", not a bad one.

Zalusithix

5oyO7Om.png

I consider them wizards already.

They could cram things down a bit more if they really wanted to. The chance of one part of it damaging another increases though. I don't think anybody would be too happy if a part dislodged in shipping and smacked the lens of the headset for instance. Plus this is an $800+ product. Doesn't hurt to pack it with a bit of grandeur. =)

Edit:
They really optimized the packaging for the DK2. That was 10x10x7. Couldn't even get it all to fit back in without zip tying the cables. Looks like they're quite a bit more generous with the Vive box. I can see a few ways to get it into a smaller box (e.g. packing the controllers back-to-back like shoes). Think they just weren't as concerned about it.
DK2 had no controller, a more flexible headband, and a smaller camera from CV1. So yeah, they could get pretty compact.

Hale-XF11

I want this more than anything I've wanted since the N64 was first released. Can't afford it right now, but hopefully some day. Can't wait for more gaf impressions, unboxing videos, etc.

Someone give me a last few words of encouragement to cancel my Oculus order

It's a 35xxx order so I definitely don't be receiving it before my 2nd wave April Vive order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom