• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive shipment delays/issues

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
If anyone in Illinois or Wisconsin gets a shipping notification they better report in this thread ASAP.

I'm pretty much to the point where which ever headset gets here first is the one I'm rolling with for round 1. And at this rate it might be PSVR............

IMACOMPUTA

People on Reddit have been looking at steam stats.
Tiltbrush peak users: 54
Hoverjunkers: 42

Wow. I think there are way less shipped than anyone thought.

:49? How's the possible?

If he's around this weekend I can have him send me a screenshot of the timestamp.

But yes, it's rather screwed up.
They still haven't charged him. It's on his credit card so I imagine there will be money to take out if they need it. I wonder if you can get in trouble legally if they never charge you then decide to do it a month or two later and the card isn't available.

alexbull_uk

I knew it was going to be a colossal fuck-up right from the start when it was revealed that Digital River were handling payment.

Such a poor way to launch an otherwise great (or so I've heard) product.

Qassim

So I've had this theory for a few days that has now cropped up around reddit regarding the mysterious case of the early pre-orders being skipped over. During the big fuckup regarding fraud alerts and cancellations, maybe it's possible that all charges (successful or otherwise) had their authorisation codes lost or invalidated - so that HTC couldn't authorise the charge - meaning they had to wait for the timeout to happen on charges (in most of the early cases at least) before they could ship.

I was told by Barclaycard earlier in the week that the hold was due to expire on the 9th and it just did (it's now 22 minutes into the 9th in the UK) and HTC have updated their FAQ regarding HTC the dropped authorisations:

My pending authorization hold dropped off my card and I haven’t received shipping information. What do I do?

If your authorization is no longer showing on your card, then we are processing your order. Please watch your email inbox for any updates regarding your shipment.

The 'then we are processing your order' seems to imply that they were expecting the pending authorisation to drop in order to carry on with their order. Maybe I'm clutching at straws here, but it does seem unlikely that it is just a coincidence the very early order numbers were skipped.

http://origin-blog.htcvr.com/us/2016/04/vive-shipment-updates/

If we had proof of the paypal orders going first I could jump on that authorization delay conspiracy theory. Hell, anything could've happened at this point. This would make an amazing insider blog leak.

I would've thought it's probably along those lines, so we were effectively frozen out of the running, with every other bugger getting shipped, PayPal etc.

It's a given at this point. HTC will have a small week to finish its first wave (I know, not shipping in waves, right?), and that means 10k+ vives...seeing how well they've handled things so far, I'm starting to have doubts.

Is it safe to assume either company doesn't ship or process orders on weekends ?
HTC have stated they don't.

Did they keep to their promise of no new tracking today and yesterday? I take it this means they're taking a 4 day break to get their shit together?

Oh jeez, someone on reddit found out their Vive got sent to someone else (Plus apparently that person signed for it and took it anyway, ugh people) but seriously this and Oculus's shipping problems are kind of baffling, you'd think they'd make sure to be on their A game for the launch of this stuff. Starting to think I won't get a Vive in May after all (But that's on me partly since I only pre-ordered like 1 1/2 weeks ago).

Soi-Fong

42 for Hoverjunkers!!? Jesus.. One of those is mine on the Vive DK1 I have at my house.

Illinois here and no shipping information from HTC. Ordered with CC within 4 minutes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
With the way they've handled this, the least they could do is work weekends until the make some headroom.

Assumes they have stock to ship. There was a comment on Reddit quoting a customer service person saying they're shipping every two days in the US to allow stock to build up. Hopefully that is just time taken to prepare boxes and put labels on etc. But why would that take two days to get enough to put on a truck? Do they only have a couple of people doing it manually?

With their recent addition to the blog about cancelled orders not losing their slot in the queue they I bloody hope everyone that ships on Monday is a cancelled order before any others go out

mrklaw

MrArseFace
:06 CC cancellation, reorder, no billing as of yet, told shipping next week

http://i.imgur.com/ksZxYE6.png

Same but :04

If it comes next week I might push for a refund of the shipping. Normally I'd let it slide but they've just been so bad at communicating or applying any logic to the situation that I feel the need to do something.

The fact I had billing attempted on 31st March suggests to me I would have had the vive around launch. So it'll be at least 7-10 days later due to no fault of my own.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'll take a while to grow the user base. Not sure it was a smart idea to release a multiplayer only game on VR though - no matter how good it is

Wow. I feel for everyone who preordered this and Rift on day one and haven't received them yet. Hopefully PSVR doesn't have any of these problems. I know it's not the same but I got my Gear VR preorder the day it was released, so apparently it can be done.

Wow. I feel for everyone who preordered this and Rift on day one and haven't received them yet. Hopefully PSVR doesn't have any of these problems. I know it's not the same but I got my Gear VR preorder the day it was released, so apparently it can be done.

I'm hoping Sony will see there is actual demand unlike Facebook/HTC and will plan accordingly. If you look at quotes floating around from Facebook last year you'll notice they used words like unprofitable, low interest, etc etc. HTC also seemed to think they'd only sell a few thousand units. It's very apparent they BOTH thought VR wasn't worth investing the adequate supply chain in.

My main thing is if they're having trouble now will we all be forced to service these things ourselves because both companies have no clue what they're doing on the logistics end. People trying to RMA vive units are already having a tough time.

The main thing is if they're having trouble now will we all be forced to service these things ourselves because both companies have no clue what they're doing on the logistics end. People trying to RMA vive units are already having a tough time.
Yikes. I didn't even think about that aspect of things. Although you would think HTC would be better prepared considering their phone experience. I guess the difference with phones is at least they used established supply chains/retailers.

"Remember the MVC3 CE fiasco?"

Remember the SF4 Vanilla launch fiasco?

You can search for "Digital River Sucks" and find many stories. Not just one off order fuck ups, those are inevitable. We're talking consistent, colossal boners affecting a significant portion of customers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
HTC don't even seem to be shipping anything this weekend? Still quite a lot of action on the oculus Reddit shipping thread..

Reddit is the go to place for all info on Vive fuckups, what to do, shipping status etc. Ive been surprised at the lack of noise on neogaf.

Qassim

Reddit is the go to place for all info on Vive fuckups, what to do, shipping status etc. Ive been surprised at the lack of noise on neogaf.

I think the thing is, for stuff like this, it's best to looking around the places that have the most amount of people. r/vive will have significantly more people buying a Vive than neogaf will.

It's why I've mostly been there whilst waiting for my Vive. I'll be back here once it arrives though, would much prefer to talk about it on neogaf.

spekkeh

Banned
My CC reservation survived past Friday. Checked again today.

latest

bj00rn_

Banned
Pending charges are most often (but not always) still authorized even if they go away after a few days. It's just that DR didn't collect the money because they didn't ship the Vive.. From what I understand next time they pull for money they'll get them immediately without further authorization from the bank.

Top Bottom