• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hudson Q&A session now in progress

Teknoman

John Master Lee said:
Well, it's been a while since I've been gaffing, so I thought I'm come on and chit chat a bit with folks. If ya'll have any queries about what Hudson is up to lately, or anything else for that matter, I'm here to discuss!

Whoa I didnt know you had an account here. Anyway thanks for finally getting Lords of Thunder to the VC. And late thanks for the Fatal Fury hat in that "Guess this VC title" contest.

I guess i'd like to know if there will ever be a new " of Thunder" series game made for today's consoles (XBLA, PSN, or Wiiware of course).

Really hope Star Soldier R makes it to North America...cant ever have too many shoot em ups. Especially brand new ones. Oh and new Bonk 2.5D game for Wiiware. Do it. You know you want to.

Narag said:
Seriously :(

Well, seems like people reaaaalllly like Castlevania. You know they just released Rondo of Blood on the PSP, right? And you get extra bonus Castlevania games on that system too!

As for the classic never-before-released-in-the-US version on the Turbo Duo, no final plans on that yet. But we hear you loud and clear. Neogaf <3 Castlevania X. And so do I.

Narag

John Master Lee said:
Well, seems like people reaaaalllly like Castlevania. You know they just released Rondo of Blood on the PSP, right? And you get extra bonus Castlevania games on that system too!

As for the classic never-before-released-in-the-US version on the Turbo Duo, no final plans on that yet. But we hear you loud and clear. Neogaf <3 Castlevania X. And so do I.

Bought that in the hopes it'd come to the VC that much sooner :p

Hudson Soft's previously Japan-only game DoReMi Fantasy: Milon&#8217;s DokiDoki Adventure was recently released on the VC - something almost anybody here will agree was a great decision. However, the ingame texts were left untranslated. Is it solely because of time-restraints or financial reasons that an attempt was not made to localize it for the US VC?

It is likely that the original source code is no longer available, but considering how big the online translation scene is, it wouldn't seem impossible to hire one of the many talented rom translation hackers to help out if Hudson Soft itself doesn't have the time for it - even if it means contacting person who work in a legal grey area.

Rlan

John Master Lee said:
PSN - Well one thing seems certain, there's more PS3 owners out there than there were last year:) Looks like Sony is making a nice little comeback.

Yes, eventually we'll do something for PSN. Hudson and Nintendo have a very close partnership, so we typically will lead with their platform first. We decided to move into the XBLA space because Microsoft really did a great job building a digital download service that is robust, and at the time Sony simply hadn't gotten their service off the ground yet. Now that it's doing much better, and looking more impressive each day, we are looking at bringing some franchises over.

Well you thought DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure was good enough to get over in America :) Does Star Soldier even have text in it?

TreIII

Hey Hudson...

What would it take to get you to make another one of...

ninjafiveo.jpg

ninjafive1.png

ninjafive16.png

ninjafive19.png

for the DS? Taito's Legend of Kage 2 has me all hot and bothered for 2D Ninja games again, and if you could provide a new Ninja Five-O (or even better, a new Hagane, from back on the SNES), that would be great.

samratty

You better make Star Soldier R come to EU WiiWare or... or or I'll CRY.

That is all.

Oh wait it's not, Bomberman WiiWare would be awesome indeed, glad to know that's in the pipeline. I enjoyed the XBLA version a lot when playing at a friends

jarrod

Banned
What happened to Ys Books I&II and Dragon Slayer for the VC? Are the licensing issues with Falcom or something?

Any chance we'll see Ys IV here? What about new localizations for VC imports, any possibility of that happening? Also, is Hudson looking into picking up Interchannel's DS Ys remakes perhaps?

What happened to Tengai Makyo? There's viable 360, DS, PS2 and PSP iterations all just begging for release!

PS: make Neutopia III plz!

JeremyR

I'm curious as to how Dungeon Explorer did, and if it did well enough for Hudson to publish some of their other RPGs in the US (like the apparently planned but cancelled Far East of Eden RPGs for the PSP and 360)

Hey John, thanks for taking some time to answer our questions.

What I'd like to know is, do you have any insight as to why we're seeing such strong Japanese VC support, but next to zero from the West?

I'd also echo the sentiment that even the option to have non-blurry TG16 visuals would be welcomed.

Thanks again!

Ranger X

jarrod said:
What happened to Ys Books I&II and Dragon Slayer for the VC? Are the licensing issues with Falcom or something?

Any chance we'll see Ys IV here? What about new localizations for VC imports, any possibility of that happening? Also, is Hudson looking into picking up Interchannel's DS Ys remakes perhaps?

What happened to Tengai Makyo? There's viable 360, DS, PS2 and PSP iterations all just begging for release!

PS: make Neutopia III plz!

Don't you also want to push the resolution problem with me? See my post #24

Teknoman

The resolution smoothing doesnt bother me as much. Then again, I never owned a TG16/DUO. Im just happy they still look decent and play nicely.

Manfred

John Master Lee said:
I tell you what, if you really want to dig into some good dirt on Bonk, then you'll have to listen in on some recent podcasts I did. I go into detail on Bonk about some interesting things happening behind the scenes. It's really quite fascinating.

With that, I'll let you treasure hunt!

Treasure found.

Any chance of releasing that Bonk remake on XBLA or PSN? Or even the Star Soldier and Adventure Island remakes?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Repeating the question, will there be any more DLC for Bomberman LIVE! and any DLC at all for Omega Five?

Manfred

Shard said:
Repeating the question, will there be any more DLC for Bomberman LIVE! and any DLC at all for Omega Five?

Yeah, how 'bout adding different heads to your Bombermen like Master Higgins or Bonk? That'd be bad ass!

Ranger X said:
Don't you also want to push the resolution problem with me? See my post #24

Ranger X gets +5 Persistence points. Level up!

To be honest, I don't have a full answer on this, because much of our VC business is managed from Japan. We simply have a calendar of releases we see in the US, without much insight into how the technology comes about on our side. That being said, I do hear your concern that if you played the original games, the emulated version does look different. And we are aware of it. Please understand that we are also following the guidelines and rules of how emulation should work as defined by the policies in place. So while other publishers seem to provide alternatives in emulation, we seem to be sticking to what we were originally told to do. There's a reason why the graphics look different. I'm just not sure I can talk about it in detail, and whether it can be addressed. In other words, what you see isn't "broken". It's deliberately done.

Shard said:

There may be more downloadable content on Bomberman Live for XBLA. However, we likely will have to take a look at a new strategy on how to implement, because with each new add-on pack, it introduces new levels that only certain people can play. It appears to be creating some segregation of users, and thus creating the feeling that there aren't enough players to play against. One idea is that we may aggregate all the download packs into one mega one, so that more people can download and thus getting more people to be able to join in any multiplayer game in session.

As for Omega Five, it's unlikely we'll do add-on packs for the game. The game is ultimately designed for a niche audience, not likely to become a big blockbuster, so opportunities for extensions will be limited. But it could be brought back on other platforms or formats, but we likely won't do any add-on packs. Personally, I love the game, so it would be cool to see more content!

Enk

makes good threads.
Have you guys considered making a new 2d Bonk? Other than the VC it seems like Hudson has abandoned the Turbografx mascot. With the resurgance of new 2d games based on old properties now would be a perfect time to bring back baldy from the dead.

Also how well did Omega Five do from your perspective? Was it enough to consider persuing more games of that kind. Maybe a new Gates/Lords of Thunder?

camineet

Banned
What's the word on a new Nectaris / Military Madness
turn-based strategy game, on any platform?
Specifically, for the one it makes most sense for, DS.

Rlan

John Master Lee said:
There may be more downloadable content on Bomberman Live for XBLA. However, we likely will have to take a look at a new strategy on how to implement, because with each new add-on pack, it introduces new levels that only certain people can play. It appears to be creating some segregation of users, and thus creating the feeling that there aren't enough players to play against. One idea is that we may aggregate all the download packs into one mega one, so that more people can download and thus getting more people to be able to join in any multiplayer game in session.

Maybe start making the old ones free after a certain time, Halo / Gears style? It'd certainly get some more interest again :)

Hunahan

Banned
Hey cool. I'm really hoping you can clear this one up for me.

Far East Of Eden: Ziria's localization effort. Was it cancelled?

I haven't heard a peep since you guys announced the NA details ages ago. Should I just abandon all hope?

Thanks! Really appreciate it!

batbeg

Kafel said:
Can someone post a resume of what we've learnt please ?

Downloadable Content

WiiWare:
Close relationship with Nintendo
Bomberman
- Different than XBLA
- One of "few classic games" being revitalized for it
Original Content a Possibility
- Possibly smaller, unique ideas
Star Soldier R
- Caravan Mode only somewhat confirmed (I believe the video confirmed this personally anyway)
- Not confirmed for US release, still pending
Dracula X on VC?
- No final plans
Virtual Console resolution problems?
- Caused by guidelines, not unintentional

XBLA
Next title is liscenced game
Future classic franchises sounds likely, especially with fan feedback
"Cooking? Yes, I like that analogy" - cooking game?
Dungeon Explorer - shelved
Bomberman
- New DLC a possibility, but implemented differently
Omega Five
- DLC unlikely, niche game, niche audience

PSN
"Fuck you PSN" (paraphrased slightly)
Possible in the future, were perhaps wary about Sony's lack of audience before

Other

Playstation 2
Bonk Remake
- Doesn't sound likely, end of PS2s life, needs recoding work

Nintendo DS
Bomberman Story RPG
- No go, not for US audiences

John Lee
Possibility to be "huged" by reilly - unclear if clothes on or off

Batbeg
Tried going to sleep; couldn't. Came back to NeoGAF, home away from home

milkham

batbeg said:
John Lee
Possibility to be "huged" by reilly - unclear if clothes on or off

:D

He talks about what they wanted to do with Bonk on episode 34 of the RetroforceGO! podcast

Wow, if you're still taking in questions, I have a few!

1. There was a new Bomberman Wii game shown in Famitsu today, is this the WiiWare game, or the new retail Wii Bomberman game shown on Hudson's Japanese website?

2. If that was the WiiWare game, what's the retail one like?

3. Regardless, will the Wii ever see a Bomberman 64 like game?

4. I read a while back on Rumor Reporter, that Hudson was developing a big next gen game, was this ever announced? if not, what is it and which platform is this one?

5. Is Hudson developing any large, non-casual Wii games? RPGs, platformers, etc?

6. Why was DoReMi Fantasy not translated for it's NA VC release?

7. If DoReMi Fantasy does well, will there be a new Milon game based on this one?

8. If so, can Hudson please use a design closer to this one, as the new deisgn used Milon DS (Japan only) sucked ass, I mean, why did he turn into a drippy nosed baby?

That's it, thanks!

Edit: One more, and a biggie.

9. What's Hudson's opinion on the Wii's 480p, 16:9, and Dolby Pro Logic II capabilities? Hudson's Wii games tend to support one or the other, never all of them. :'(

TEJ

I recently purchased Dungeon Explorer psp, and I am enjoying it quite a bit. I'm dissapointed to hear that the 360 version is cancelled.

Anyway, what are the chances of seeing a sequel to Ninja 5 0? On the DS or psp, or possibly xbla? even a psn version would be nice when I eventually get a ps3 Oh and the DS/PSP/xbla/psn needs a brand new/enhanced port of one of the Ys/adventure island please.

I also need to mention that bomberman live and Omega 5 are good timekillers, well worth the money I spent on them.

For the sake of perspective, what would the chances be for the rarest of the rare, and/or special releases, such as Sapphire and Nexzr/Summer Carnival '93?

Ranger X

John Master Lee said:
Ranger X gets +5 Persistence points. Level up!

To be honest, I don't have a full answer on this, because much of our VC business is managed from Japan. We simply have a calendar of releases we see in the US, without much insight into how the technology comes about on our side. That being said, I do hear your concern that if you played the original games, the emulated version does look different. And we are aware of it. Please understand that we are also following the guidelines and rules of how emulation should work as defined by the policies in place. So while other publishers seem to provide alternatives in emulation, we seem to be sticking to what we were originally told to do. There's a reason why the graphics look different. I'm just not sure I can talk about it in detail, and whether it can be addressed. In other words, what you see isn't "broken". It's deliberately done.

Thanks for you answer. Just want to clarify i didn't think it's "broken". I only think Hudson should offer the player to play in the original resolution (even only as an option if they don't want to kill their software filter) since all the other emu on the Virtual Console does.
It was simply a design choice from the part of Hudson Japan that i think make their emulator "inferior" compared to the other ones on the service. Unless that the TG-16 would have ran in some wierd non-standard resolution that the Wii couldn't output, that software filter on the graphic could be easily removed.

Anyhow, i'll keep my fingers crossed and if ever you have the chance to follow suit with this suggestion, please don't hesitate!

Polari said:
Kororinpa 2
Kororinpa 2
Kororinpa 2
Kororinpa 2
Kororinpa 2?

More than 50 levels this time k thx.

I love your repetitiveness! Yeah, great game, and btw, it's only 50 levels if you don't play all the mirror mode versions!

That's one of those games that hardcore gamers seemed so ready to write off, but ended up being a real treat for those who love a more casual experience. I loved that Apple level, where you can turn the apple all around and you have to navigate through the grooves.

As for a sequel, it would be great to see one. And if we did do one, it would be deeper and have more levels to better suit US gamer tastes. US gamers sure seem to demand more when it comes to gameplay depth and the amount of content they want in a game.

Icarus

You all fail for not asking about Hudson's greatest series ever: Nectaris/Military Madness

Any chance of it/a new edition on XBLA/Wiiware?

Edit: I see Cameet above me knows where it's at. He's excused. The rest of you however, still fail. :)

Since persistence seems to be rewarded here, I will ask again: is there any official reason why DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure was not localized even though there are technical feasible solutions and workarounds, even if the original source code is not available (after all - the Bomberman VC version was altered to send you to battlemode if you chose Com-Link mode, too). If it was a pure financial/time concern, can we expect to see future localizations of games in the future? In import TurboDuo games with cut-scenes, could we maybe at least recieve subtitles?

Ranger X

John Master Lee said:
I love your repetitiveness! Yeah, great game, and btw, it's only 50 levels if you don't play all the mirror mode versions!

That's one of those games that hardcore gamers seemed so ready to write off, but ended up being a real treat for those who love a more casual experience. I loved that Apple level, where you can turn the apple all around and you have to navigate through the grooves.

As for a sequel, it would be great to see one. And if we did do one, it would be deeper and have more levels to better suit US gamer tastes. US gamers sure seem to demand more when it comes to gameplay depth and the amount of content they want in a game.

Do i hear Kororinpa performed shitty in NA and that Hudson think it's casual player that bought the game?
I totally can see that game not selling well but if anything, i'd bet it's hardcore gamers that bought that game. (including me!!) That simply is my second favorite Wii game right after Galaxy. Also, the release was so subtle anyways that i'd bet the buyers were people in the know. People that are looking more into game releases and carefully plan they purshases, follows GAF and other gaming forums, etc. (aka hardcore gamers)

Polari

John Master Lee said:

Thanks for the answer!

When I bought it, me and my flatmates started on the first level, got hooked and spent a whole evening taking turns, working our way through the game. Probably the most fun I've had with a Wii game to date. The checkpoint system definitely lends itself to much longer levels so if you guys ever do a sequel, you should keep that in mind. Using the pointer for the interface next time would be rad too. Oh and keep shit like jumping and bosses out of the equation (hi Sega!)

Jiggy

John Master Lee said:
Here's one way to address this question. If you were to list out your favorite top 5 classic Hudson games, and pound us like you regularly do, and if we get the hint, then you can expect to see those games come back to life in some shape or form, including on XBLA.
I can't think of a top 5, but my top 3 are surely, surely Star Soldier, Neutopia, and Bomberman in some order. Only one of these hasn't seen a revival.

Anyway, for an actual question, are there any plans to bring Star Parodier to VC? I kind of assumed that with Final Soldier being rated by the OFLC, that game is probably on its way as another import title... And so I also kind of figured Star Parodier might be a shoo-in also, but it'd be nice if there could be any official word on this. (And like cartman414, I also hope for Nexzr and Sapphire, but in terms of the market, those don't have the advantage of being Star Soldier games that can appeal to people who own the others on VC, so I could see why they may not be released...)

Also, thanks for being probably the most consistently supportive company for Virtual Console so far. :D Even arguably moreso than Nintendo itself. I've downloaded 15 TG16 games so far, plus DoReMi, so it's easy for me to say that Hudson's given me a great amount of the value I've gotten from my 50 total VC games... And more are on the way, with Dragon Slayer, Ys Book I & II, and Final Soldier all being guaranteed purchases if/when those show up. Also hoping for some other more obscure games like Coryoon, Sylphia, Detana Twinbee, and Magical Chase.

One last thing: if Star Soldier R is released in the US, I for one will be a buyer, despite it only having the 2-minute and 5-minute modes. I love the series too much to pass one up, even though I definitely want to see a full-fledged WiiWare Star Soldier someday as well.

Top Bottom