• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HuffPo: Poor Millennials In 2017

jayhawker

I'm 30, went to a top 20 law school, just made partner, live like a pauper, and have struggled mightily to make ends meet. I drive a 20 year old car. I pay something like 80% of my income to student loan payments and housing. I couldn't make it without my wife working, and we've delayed starting a family because we can't afford it. I had a full ride scholarship through undergrad, and a partial scholarship in law school, but I still came out with 6 figure debt.

Things should get a lot better now with my career advancement, but I feel like I've been incredibly fortunate in life to get where I am. I have no idea how other people my age make it.

As someone who put the work in, majored in the right things, and made intelligent financial decisions, BANGS is just wrong. It's a different world today. It's not that easy. People shouldn't have to be on the right side of the bell curve to survive.

Pomerlaw

Is there talent drought in Canada now?

Don't know about the rest of Canada, but in Quebec, the answer is YES.

But don't they have to prove to the government that they couldn't find any Canadian citizen qualified in Canada for over a year?

I honestly don't know the details. But I know for sure they are looking for a lot of people from outside because the local population won't be able to sustain the industries, especially in IT. I'm sure there is an opportunity.

Start here : http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/working-quebec/index.html

gohepcat

Banned
Typical Huffpo victim complex. I'm sure they have access to only the best economists...

I too am 32 and own a home, and have all the same financial struggles my parents/grandparents went through despite having an even less skilled occupation. The only thing is I'm a bit older than they were at this point in their lives. I was patient and did the right thing instead of having babies and wasting tons of money in college on a useless degree...

Yes, times are tough and competitive. But also yes, you can make it just like everyone else who actually tries instead of cries. You also have a much higher standard of living than my parents could ever dream of. Stop with the victim complex, get to work...

This is the very definition of anecdotal evidence. We can look at the actual numbers and see what is happening to the middle class. We can see the lack of upward mobility. We can see real productivity metrics from different age groups and we can see that wages are stagnant.

What is so fucking infuriating about your thinking is that you are actually harming all of us. I need the US to have an educated and financially stable stable population and this fucking dimwitted, shortsighted dismantling of infrastructure is tangibly harming us...because at 32 years old you have a view of the government like a fucking teenager.

There have been a million different things that have contributed to my success. There were decisions to beautify city parks that increased my home value. There were investments in early childhood education that reduced crime in my state. There were investments in infrastructure that lured talent from around the world to live here.

It’s not just “pick yourself up by your bootstraps“ bullshit.

I'm 30, went to a top 20 law school, just made partner, live like a pauper, and have struggled mightily to make ends meet. I drive a 20 year old car. I pay something like 80% of my income to student loan payments and housing. I couldn't make it without my wife working, and we've delayed starting a family because we can't afford it. I had a full ride scholarship through undergrad, and a partial scholarship in law school, but I still came out with 6 figure debt.

Things should get a lot better now with my career advancement, but I feel like I've been incredibly fortunate in life to get where I am. I have no idea how other people my age make it.

As someone who put the work in, majored in the right things, and made intelligent financial decisions, BANGS is just wrong. It's a different world today. It's not that easy. People shouldn't have to be on the right side of the bell curve to survive.

This guy gets it. If it's sacrifices and optimal decisions the average Joe can't make (or can't afford to make), then society should adjust the incentive and entitlement systems to remove some of the overwhelming burden and help make it work for the vast majority of people (meaning making living a middle class lifestyle attainable with manageable amounts of effort for most people).

Caddle

Huh, by and large libertarians are on the right side of all the things that are screwing over millennials. The giant entitlements that are just transfer programs from poor young people to rich old people, the massive subsidization of college loans that has resulted in the explosion of education costs, and the terrible zoning policies that make it completely unaffordable to live in certain places.

Plus the ACA mandate and the elimination of catastrophic coverage that forces young healthy people to buy coverage they don't need.

Libertarians aren't the ones fucking over millennials, government is.
Yeah this guy get's it. Young people need to drop out of the health Care system which in turn makes it much better for us older folks. Fuck you I have mine mentality, can't wait till all these asshats go down with this stupid legislation.

Typical Huffpo victim complex. I'm sure they have access to only the best economists...

I too am 32 and own a home, and have all the same financial struggles my parents/grandparents went through despite having an even less skilled occupation. The only thing is I'm a bit older than they were at this point in their lives. I was patient and did the right thing instead of having babies and wasting tons of money in college on a useless degree...

Yes, times are tough and competitive. But also yes, you can make it just like everyone else who actually tries instead of cries. You also have a much higher standard of living than my parents could ever dream of. Stop with the victim complex, get to work...

I don’t own a house yet but everything else is basically the same for me and most of my friends too.

The problem with millennials is how they move to expensive cities without jobs laid out or hardly any job experience at all as well.

BANGS

Banned
This is the very definition of anecdotal evidence. We can look at the actual numbers and see what is happening to the middle class. We can see the lack of upward mobility. We can see real productivity metrics from different age groups and we can see that wages are stagnant.

What is so fucking infuriating about your thinking is that you are actually harming all of us. I need the US to have an educated and financially stable stable population and this fucking dimwitted, shortsighted dismantling of infrastructure is tangibly harming us...because at 32 years old you have a view of the government like a fucking teenager.

There have been a million different things that have contributed to my success. There were decisions to beautify city parks that increased my home value. There were investments in early childhood education that reduced crime in my state. There were investments in infrastructure that lured talent from around the world to live here.

It’s not just “pick yourself up by your bootstraps“ bullshit.

WTF are you even on about? Are you sure you quoted the right post to respond to?

Dear millenials looking for a job,

Come to Quebec City, we need you.

Quality of life is great here. If you don't mind learning a bit of french and cold weather (I will be frank, Quebec's winter is really cold. But I love it! You just have to dress up correctly.

Unemployment is between 2 and 4%. The city (and province) is looking for thousands of new employees in the IT sector in the coming years. There are also a lot of jobs in restauration and other sectors.

The city is beautiful and the girls are too.

quebec-old-city-canada-winter_93244_600x450.jpg

Canada’s immigration are strict, to move their you have to be pretty competent and skilled enough to contribute, that’s a main reason why so many liberals stayed in America after Trunp won the election despite saying they would move to Canada.

RainblowDash

Gold Member
Successful living is a combination of BOTH luck and hard work.

You need to work hard to build a good work ethic that will get you noticed, that much you have control over. Make good financial choices as well as life choices and your luck influence will also be that much better.

Top Bottom