• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HUGE IS THIS NEWS AND MY PANTS TOO (VIRTUAL CONSOLE)

Mar

Oh Jesus. Neo Geo? Awesome awsome news.

VC the console to own confirmed.
Forget about Wii games

Farmboy

Cosmozone said:
Read post #28 . Being from Europe, my hopes are up. :D I haven't followed all MSX games, but I can say there are English versions for at least: Knightmare, Twin Bee, Gradius/Nemesis 1+2+3, Salamander, Penguin Adventure, Eggerland Mystery, Metal Gear, Maze of Galious, Treasure of Usas and Vampire Killer (aka Castlevania). And there were also a bunch of western games for the system, Elite being among them.

Don't forget King's Valley 2, but yeah, those are awesome. The MSX was most succesful in Japan, South Korea, The Netherlands (yay!), Spain and Brazil. There's really no reason why they can't bring the Konami roms to Europe, at least. They need no translation and are instacash. Heck, I'd buy 'em all.

Bolded my personal faves. Salamander MSX (with full co-op) >>> Life Force NES (both have the Gradius weapon system btw). Eggerland = Lolo. Penguin Adventure is Kojima's First Game Ever, and rocks.

Elite was a disk-game (in fact, actually, I believe we had it on cassete :)). I think they'll limit themselves to the rom-cartridges.

bhytre

Add some tunneling software to play some of these Neo Geo games online and Smash Brawl will be the only fighter needing a release on Wii :D

andthebeatgoeson

Cheesemeister said:
Famicom
The Adventures of Valkyrie
Donkey Kong Jr. Math
Excitebike
Lode Runner
Yoshi

Super Famicom
Actraiser
Hercules no Eikou 3
Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Mega Drive
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Storm
Bonanza Bros.
Dino Bros.
Sonic Spinball
Virtua Fighter 2 (Genesis version)
Wonder Boy in Monster World

PC Engine
Double Dungeons
Fire Pro Wrestling Combination Tag
Galaga '88
Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman

MSX
Aleste
Eggy
What was that about slow VC releases. That's just March. If they ramp this shit up, it'll be 50 bucks a month on VC games. It's so tempting to just splurge, if they make it too many releases, we'll be complaining about how much we are spending.

Rlan said:
How many MSX / MSX2 games were released in Europe?

And.. 800 points is pretty steep for MSX games, isn't it?

Quite a lot, most of Konami's games, HAL has some, Compile's MSX1 games (Aleste was not released in EU, iirc) and the large amounts of western devs (Philips, Gremlin, Activision, etc).

Mantrid

Banned
looks like nintendo have got the old skool releases down (competitors am cry).
now, lets see some original content of the same quality as XBLA.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Was the Neo Geo released down under? If not we probably wont get it the same deal as the T16.

This is the best news concerning the VC so far. I have to say, getting games from systems that were widely available in the US wasn't such a huge incentive for me but seeing the NG and the MSX gives me dick-ripping-out-of-pants action. Confirmed.

Cosmozone

Mantrid said:
what was the sound chip like in the MSX any good (better than SID?)
Yes. Or more correctly, it was pretty standard and SID was worse. But that suddenly reminds me, that newer Konami modules had an improved sound chip integrated. I'm worried that it (and the games that use it) might not be supported by the VC, at least not so soon.

PowerRun

Cosmozone said:
Read post #28 . Being from Europe, my hopes are up. :D I haven't followed all MSX games, but I can say there are English versions for at least: Knightmare, Twin Bee, Gradius/Nemesis 1+2+3, Salamander, Penguin Adventure, Eggerland Mystery, Metal Gear, Maze of Galious, Treasure of Usas and Vampire Killer (aka Castlevania). And there were also a bunch of western games for the system, Elite being among them.

Most games he mentioned were RPGs never released outside Japan. The other games are nice, but those RPGs are what we want :D

Cosmozone said:
Yes. Or more correctly, it was pretty standard and SID was worse. But that suddenly reminds me, that newer Konami modules had an improved sound chip integrated. I'm worried that it (and the games that use it) might not be supported by the VC, at least not so soon.

That was the SCC-chip, none of the announced games use SCC (only the later Konami-games did, like MGS2, SD Snatcher, Space Manbow, Nemesis 3(2?))

Eteric Rice

All Nintendo needs to do is make their online stuff a little cleaner (like a library channel where all my VC games aren't on the main menu), and put their online up, and they're ****ing GOLDEN.

So what do we have coming at us?

1. NES
2. SNES
3. N64
4. Genesis
5. Neo-Geo
6. MSX
7 Forgot the name of the last one

Draughts?... Never...

Cosmozone said:

And then there's the FM PAC in the 2+ and as cardridge add-on.

Both the PSG (MSX internal chip) and the FM PAC are similar to the Atari ST's internal soundchip and external sound chip add-on.

Ranger X

Wow. That's some awesome news! The more game i've never played the more i buy!

But now the VC will truly need to start the localisation of games...

Cosmozone

PowerRun said:
That was the SCC-chip, none of the announced games use SCC (only the later Konami-games did, like MGS2, SD Snatcher, Space Manbow, Nemesis 3(2?))
That's right, only two games have been announced so far, though. Nemesis 2 was the first to use SCC, and this is the game *I* want. And I bet MGS2 should have better sound than the SCC, maybe you meant Metal Gear 2. :) However, Nemesis 2 was out way earlier than MG2, I wouldn't call it a later game.

ethelred

At this point, though, it really has to be said that NoA needs to get on the ball. While I think US Virtual Console has built up a solid library of games, it's still shameful how much it's lagging behind what's available in Japan right now. And as the Japanese VC is now adding more and more games in addition to new systems... NoA needs to step it up. A lot.

If I never see the SNK stuff with online gameplay on one of these services I'll be pissed.

XBLA? VC? PN? I don't care. Make it happen.

bionic77

How much space does the Wii have internally? A lot of those Neo Geo games are like 20+ megs. That internal memory looks like it will fill up fast.

Can you play the games from an SD card? I have a spare 2 gig one laying around, but I never thought I would have to use it.

maxmars

bionic77 said:
How much space does the Wii have internally? A lot of those Neo Geo games are like 20+ megs. That internal memory looks like it will fill up fast.

Less than half a gigabyte.

bionic77 said:
Can you play the games from an SD card?

Unfortunately, no.

maxmars

bionic77 said:
Well if they are going to start introducing Neo Geo games they might want to allow games to be played off of the SD card.

That is also my (and others') hope. Deleting and redownloading games is not going to be a practical thing to do, given the NeoGeo cart sizes.

They (Nintendo) should also put all your games into a single channel (vc channel?) and let you browse your entire collection from there.

ccbfan

Hmm, I think a lot of you are jumping the gun here.

Can many of the of the later Neo Geo games even be emulated on the Wii.

I mean the PS2 can't even do direct ports correctly (while most of them were sloppy, do you really think they'll put more effort on a download service?). I mean sure the Wii is more powerful than the PS2 but then again you need a machine a lot more powerful to emulate correctly (As in the dreamcast can't even handle the snes correctly)

For those who don't know, Neo Geo games range from looking like early snes games (Fatal
Fury, Ninja Combat, King of Monsters) to early PS2 games (MOTW, King of Fighters 01)

I can imagine the Wii handleing the earlier games pretty easy but for the later games, I'm not so sure. Plus I hear KOF 98 and 2001 is still making some major cash in the arcades.

Great news on Acraiser though, finally an S-E is announced, hopefully more to come.

Unison

Well, the Wii has 96mb of RAM. Any ROM that can fit in that with the emulator, should be fine. It's not really so much of a power issue as a memory issue... even PSP does a decent job emulating NeoGeo.

gkryhewy

ccbfan said:
(As in the dreamcast can't even handle the snes correctly)

Come on, you can't compare the spare-time efforts of 1 or 2 hobby emulator writers with a professional project that has full knowledge of the respective hardware. It will be fine. Hell, from appearances, Metal Slug Anthology is basically just an emulator with roms, and it runs flawlessly on Wii.

maxmars said:
They (Nintendo) should also put all your games into a single channel (vc channel?) and let you browse your entire collection from there.

They considered doing that but felt that each purchase felt more "substantial" if it had its own channel you could see from the main menu.

gkryhewy

Night_Trekker said:
They considered doing that but felt that each purchase felt more "substantial" if it had it's own channel you could see from the main menu.

Not if I can't see them without scrolling anyway. I regret downloading that stupid poll channel already.

Top Bottom