• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HUGE IS THIS NEWS AND MY PANTS TOO (VIRTUAL CONSOLE)

ethelred said:
At this point, though, it really has to be said that NoA needs to get on the ball. While I think US Virtual Console has built up a solid library of games, it's still shameful how much it's lagging behind what's available in Japan right now. And as the Japanese VC is now adding more and more games in addition to new systems... NoA needs to step it up. A lot.

In terms of overall selection, I agree with you. But when you toss out Japan-only games, Nintendo of America has been keeping pace & actually reducing the backlog a bit. At the end of December, there were eleven games released in Japan with readily available North American localizations that were not released here. At the end of January, there were ten. Right now, there are thirteen, but we still have one more release date to go. If NoA releases three games on Monday, they keep pace, and if they release four, the backlog goes down to nine. Obviously, it would be wonderful if Nintendo of America was pro-active in securing content, but I guess I never expected that, at least not initially. I don't see any reason to doubt that they'll follow suit and quicken releases if the content comes more rapidly in Japan though.

Night_Trekker said:
They considered doing that but felt that each purchase felt more "substantial" if it had its own channel you could see from the main menu.

Idiocy.

The Wii should automatically switch to a single channel for VC games if you have more than 10.

The whole Metal Slug Anthology with classic controller support confirmed?

And SNK need to put Mark of the Wolves as one of their first titles to download.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I'm not sure the controller symbol is supposed to be hiding a future VC console. It's just the VC logo:

300px-Img_virtualconsole.jpg

Probably just fits in neatly in the corner of an uneven number of consoles.

I expect we'll see more evntually anyway, the Master System and some of the European consoles etc, but I wouldn't basing that on this symbol.

bionic77 said:
Well if they are going to start introducing Neo Geo games they might want to allow games to be played off of the SD card.
I think now would be an appropriate time to announce support for external hard drives; they have to see the problem with Neo games being stored on only 512MB. Maybe we'll here some more about this at GDC?

maxmars

gkrykewy said:
Oh cool, I didn't know you could rearrange the channels. That makes things much better, thanks.

Yeah it's not intuitive, but try holding A+B over a channel, you will be dragging it. Hover on the "-" and "+" icons left/right of the screen to slide there.

This is awesome news, both the SE announcement and more console support. It seems like publishers are getting the right idea with VC now and in 3 months time we've seen some amazing releases. By the end of this year, VC is going to be a monster.

Ranger X

Personally i just wish the TG-16 and the newly announced consoles will be emulated in their native resolution.
Right now the NES and SNES downloads are winning over everthing else because the game actually BETTER than when you play them in the original console.

Matt_C

VVARIO said:
Awesome news!
I wouldn't mind if they replace the placeholder image with another Sega system :D
wowiv7.gif

Only if that placeholder is replaced by this:

index_01.gif

I couldn't find a JAMMA logo but seriously, arcade manufacturers and arcade IP owners would rake in megadough if some of their backlog makes it into the Wii or even have arcade games support Wii Remotes/Mii's.

First Neo Geo and hopefully next CPS Family of machines, the Sega Hardware, Namco's boards, Data East, and so on.

PowerRun

Cosmozone said:
That's right, only two games have been announced so far, though. Nemesis 2 was the first to use SCC, and this is the game *I* want. And I bet MGS2 should have better sound than the SCC, maybe you meant Metal Gear 2. :) However, Nemesis 2 was out way earlier than MG2, I wouldn't call it a later game.

I knew something didn't feel right while I was typing... MG2 doh :) It's sitting on the shelf behind me and still I get it wrong *gets more coffee*

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Fantastic news! The VC is probably the best thing to happen to video games in years... I'm hoping some of the European-translated MSX games show up on the US system... Even more excellent to hear Actraiser is making it on - that means Soulblazer, Illusion of Gaia, and hopefully Terranigma.

Dave Long

Banned
Neo Geo is such a huge boost, provided they release the HOME games and not the arcade versions. Anyone that's used Gametap will understand why that's important.

NeonZ

Dave Long said:
Neo Geo is such a huge boost, provided they release the HOME games and not the arcade versions. Anyone that's used Gametap will understand why that's important.

Weren't both the same thing, though?

Using illegal emulators, one can switch between them...

Dave Long

Banned
It's nowhere near the same thing to play something like Baseball Stars/Super Baseball 2020 in quarter chomping mode compared to the home game. They're not the same.

NeonZ

Dave Long said:
It's nowhere near the same thing to play something like Baseball Stars/Super Baseball 2020 in quarter chomping mode compared to the home game. They're not the same.

Ok... I've never played those... So, there's a difference between the home and arcade versions, even if one switches to the other version?

I wouldn't expect anything approaching decent emulation out of SNKP these days. They seem to be content with lazy treatments in their compilations, so we probably won't see anything better on VC.

Commercial MSX emulation is a bit better-established, though, with download services supporting Japanese PC games having been up and running for several years now.

Ranger X said:
Personally i just wish the TG-16 and the newly announced consoles will be emulated in their native resolution.
Right now the NES and SNES downloads are winning over everthing else because the game actually BETTER than when you play them in the original console.
Yeah, I think we're out of luck for Neo-Geo. :(

jiji said:
I wouldn't expect anything approaching decent emulation out of SNKP these days. They seem to be content with lazy treatments in their compilations, so we probably won't see anything better on VC.

I think that's why we aren't seeing anything from them on XBLA yet; MS wants enhanced games but SNK wants lazy money. SNK says that they have made an offer to MS and that it's up to MS. I'll bet the offer is a straight ROM dump, no online play. :(

Leatherface

Hold on. is this just Japan VC or will this apply to the US and Europe as well?

OMG I want Samuri Showdown and Magician Lord!! :D

Symytry

Polari said:
So...

NES
SNES
Nintendo 64
Genesis
TG-16
Neo-Geo
Commodore 64
MSX

Damn, get Gameboy, Master System and 2600 on that and we're set.

nothing is set with the Saturn missing from that list :(

fusoya59

NES
February 27 - Kirby’s Adventure (Nintendo)
March 2007 - Lode Runner (Hudson)
March 2007 - Yoshi no Tamago (Nintendo)
March 2007 - Valkyrie no Bouken: Toki no Kagi Densetsu (Bandao Namco)
March 2007 - Excite Bike (Nintendo)
March 2007 - Donkey Kong Jr. no Sansuu Asobi (Nintendo)

Super NES
March 2007 - Ganbare Goemon: Yukihime Kyuushutsu Emaki (Konami)
March2007 - Hercules no Eikou III (Data East)
March2007 - Actraiser (Square Enix)

Nintendo 64 (1200 points)
Feb 27 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo)

Sega Genesis
Feb 27 - Bare Knuckle (Sega)
Feb 27 - Story of Thor (Sega)
Feb 27 - Vectorman (Sega)
Feb 27 - Vermilion (Sega)
March 2007- Puzzle & Action: Tant-R (Sega)
March 2007 - Sonic Spinball (Sega)
March 2007 - Dyna Brothers (Sega/CRI)
March 2007 - Wonder Boy V: Monster World III (Sega)
March 2007 - Virtua Fighter 2 ~Genesis Version~ (Sega)
March 2007 - Alex Kidd Tenkuu Mashiro (Sega)
March 2007 - Alien Storm (Sega)

TG16
Feb 27 - Wonder-Momo (Bandai Namco)
March 2007 - Double Dungeons (Hudson/NCS)
March 2007 - Fire Pro Wrestling Combination Tag (Spike)
March 2007 - Galaga’88 (Bandai Namco)
March 2007 - Kaizou Chounin Shubibinman (Hudson)

MSX
Spring 2007 - Eggy (D4 Enterprise)
Spring 2007 - Aleste (D4 Enterprise)
http://gonintendo.com/?p=13676

somebody, hold me, NOW!

maynerd

Banned
They really need to make a channel for each VC console and have the games listed in each console channel. This channel/game thing is going to start getting really stupid.

ant1532

Banned
Wow. Awesome news! Metal Gear should have been the first title to come out for it though... Maybe in the US???

And isn't the Saturn to hard and expensive to emulate?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Saturn games were too big to be VC right?

In other news: NEO-GEO! Awesome! Magician Lord and Nam will finally be mine!!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Haleon said:
God damn it, the Saturn was THE WORST CONSOLE IN HISTORY. Get over it.

not true at all! I mean, 3d0, Jaguar, Virtual Boy...

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Haleon said:
... well, I can't hope to prove such a well-constructed argument wrong.

Foil

Good news.

Nintendo we need an official mass storage device (external HDD) for the Wii now. One that lets us play VC games right off of it, not just a place to transfer games to.

GoNintendo.com said:
TG16
Feb 27 - Wonder-Momo (Bandai Namco)
March 2007 - Double Dungeons (Hudson/NCS)
March 2007 - Fire Pro Wrestling Combination Tag (Spike)
March 2007 - Galaga’88 (Bandai Namco)
March 2007 - Kaizou Chounin Shubibinman (Hudson)

F-F-F-F-Fire Pro Wrestling! =O

The only thing greater would be if they announced WWF No Mercy was headed to the VC. :D

MacGuffin

Fire Pro and Windjammers?

Dear Lord (Iwata) please, please bring these games to the states. I will never-ever purchase another non-Nintendo product ever again!

meppi

Haleon said:
If by worst you mean one of, if not the best console ever then you're correct, otherwise you're not even close.

Top Bottom