• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge Nintendo Switch exploit (potential hack) found on firmware 3.0.0

If I wind up buying a second Switch to keep fully updated, how can I get my currently-owned digital games onto the new console without being able to connect the old system to the eShop? Do I have to hope that Nintendo will transfer my purchases? Do they ever reject such requests?

Most likely you won't be able to. Your best bet is to get a second Switch ASAP (before units on shelves come with 3.0.1+ firmware) and keep that for homebrew. And update your current one.

Is there a way to check your firmware version? At the update screen it only tell me that an update is available.

I think you reboot and hold down both Volume + and - buttons to enter recovery mode. It will show you your firmware version. Be warned though I read that someone used recovery mode to delete an already downloaded update and lost his save files.

If the update screen tells you there is an update, then you're below 3.0.1 and good to go for homebrew.

limlark

Is there a way to check your firmware version? At the update screen it only tell me that an update is available.
Hit the Settings button on the home screen, then look through the sidebar for System Info or some such. Mine is at home right now so I can't check the exact words.

epmode

Most likely you won't be able to. Your best bet is to get a second Switch ASAP (before units on shelves come with 3.0.1+ firmware) and keep that for homebrew. And update your current one.

You don't think Nintendo would allow me to deactivate my old console and re-download my games on a new console? Even if I made sure the old console was no longer connecting to the internet?

God, Nintendo sucks. I wouldn't have this problem with literally any other digital account system.

You don't think Nintendo would allow me to deactivate my old console and re-download my games on a new console? Even if I made sure the old console was no longer connecting to the internet?

God, Nintendo sucks. I wouldn't have this problem with literally any other digital account system.

Actually I'm not sure. I believe there is a way to deactivate a console and use the account on another. But don't know if you can do it without needing to be on the latest firmware.

epmode

Actually I'm not sure. I believe there is a way to deactivate a console and use the account on another. But don't know if you can do it without needing to be on the latest firmware.

Yeah, you can do it yourself by deactivating your console. ..but you need to be on the latest firmware to do it. Nintendo says you can contact them if you no longer have access to your old console but they don't guarantee that they'll transfer anything.

I'd just like some confirmation that people have been able to transfer their games to a new Switch WITHOUT access to the old one.

sneas78

Banned
Yeah, you can do it yourself by deactivating your console. ..but you need to be on the latest firmware to do it. Nintendo says you can contact them if you no longer have access to your old console but they don't guarantee that they'll transfer anything.

I'd just like some confirmation that people have been able to transfer their games to a new Switch WITHOUT access to the old one.

I have done similar things with my 3 switches .. however I don't remember exactly what happend, because at the time there was no new update needed so I deactivated and reactivated the second switch without needing to update .. however now that a new firmware is needed .. I believe you need to update the second switch to activate it.

Same situation is with the ps vita.. but now that it's hacked you can activate it without needing to go to psn.. so .. ehh

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'd be happy if Nintendo would just release the Virtual Console on the Switch already. I really don't understand why they're being so hesitant to release any information about it. I don't bring my 3DS with me as much, so I'd love to be able to dig into Super Metroid or Earthbound on my Switch instead.

Scrawnton

I'd be happy if Nintendo would just release the Virtual Console on the Switch already. I really don't understand why they're being so hesitant to release any information about it. I don't bring my 3DS with me as much, so I'd love to be able to dig into Super Metroid or Earthbound on my Switch instead.
My only guess at this point is that sometime in 2018 there will be a long drought and they'll use that as a buffer.

sneas78

Banned
I bought a switch last night .. Neon .. from Target.. firmware was on 2.3.0.. I'm guessing by next month we will see 3+

Vena

I bought a switch last night .. Neon .. from Target.. firmware was on 2.3.0.. I'm guessing by next month we will see 3+

Depends when this was patched for the production line. Could have been weeks before it went live, or weeks after. It will take a while for retail to turn-over to the newer firmware.

Depends when this was patched for the production line. Could have been weeks before it went live, or weeks after. It will take a while for retail to turn-over to the newer firmware.

Given that units on store shelves now in the U.S. probably rolled off the assembly line somewhere between 1 and 2 months ago, yeah, I suspect it will take a little while for the newest firmware to come installed.

Given that units on store shelves now in the U.S. probably rolled off the assembly line somewhere between 1 and 2 months ago, yeah, I suspect it will take a little while for the newest firmware to come installed.
While maybe not relevant to America I'll say it anyway.

As far as Europe goes I remember reading last year that Nintendo were opening a new warehouse in that region specifically to install newer firmware sooner (i.e. systems would leave the assembly line without firmware installed then have firmware installed once in Europe) but I'm unfamiliar with mechanisms in other regions.

I suppose retailers own supply chains have to also be factored in.

kami_sama

While maybe not relevant to America I'll say it anyway.

As far as Europe goes I remember reading last year that Nintendo were opening a new warehouse in that region specifically to install newer firmware sooner (i.e. systems would leave the assembly line without firmware installed then have firmware installed once in Europe) but I'm unfamiliar with mechanisms in other regions.

I suppose retailers own supply chains have to also be factored in.

You're right, they opened a warehouse in Catalonia (I don't remember where exactly) to be able to update the systems to the latest firmware (3DS hacks and all that)

epmode

I now have two Switches. My first one, with my saves and eShop games, is running 3.0.0. My second, with nothing, is on 2.3.

Is there a good reason for me to call Nintendo to get my games onto the new 2.3 console so I can use my 3.0.0 Switch for homebrew stuff? I wouldn't really mind losing my saves but I'd like to avoid it.

(also, the new Switch's screen has a yellow tint compared to my old one. I guess it's not defective but they certainly look very different)

domocoma

Neo Member
I'm wondering has anyone successfully done the recovery mode thing to delete the update AND keep their save? Because I want to, but I'm scared of losing my BotW save.

epmode

I'm wondering has anyone successfully done the recovery mode thing to delete the update AND keep their save? Because I want to, but I'm scared of losing my BotW save.

I did. I *think* my saves are OK but I can't launch my physical copy of BotW without connecting to the internet which would just redownload the update.

If I try to launch it, I get the message "A software update is required. Update data will be downloaded now". Pressing Cancel prevents the game from launching.

Vena

I did. I *think* my saves are OK but I can't launch my physical copy of BotW without connecting to the internet which would just redownload the update.

If I try to launch it, I get the message "A software update is required. Update data will be downloaded now". Pressing Cancel prevents the game from launching.

Ya that's stuck forever, unfortunately. The game knows there's an update because it patched/saw a patch at some point.

You may be able to delete the data (not the save) then slot in the cart again and go from there. But it may also be coded in the save now too.

domocoma

Neo Member
Ya that's stuck forever, unfortunately. The game knows there's an update because it patched/saw a patch at some point.

You may be able to delete the data (not the save) then slot in the cart again and go from there. But it may also be coded in the save now too.

Ah shit. Thanks guys. Decisions, decisions...

epmode

So does anyone know if there's a significant benefit to having a 3.0.0 Switch dedicated for homebrew versus a 2.3 Switch? I assume that it won't really matter if custom firmware eventually allows you to install official firmware, like you can on 3DS..

Vena

So does anyone know if there's a significant benefit to having a 3.0.0 Switch dedicated for homebrew versus a 2.3 Switch? I assume that it won't really matter if custom firmware eventually allows you to install official firmware, like you can on 3DS..

That likely will not happen with the Switch any time soon. Spoofing FW here is going to be a lot harder than the 3DS without physical mods.

The scene is largely uninterested in cracking the new firmware so all the new cert, master keys, and encoding is completely unknown.

epmode

That likely will not happen with the Switch any time soon. Spoofing FW here is going to be a lot harder than the 3DS without physical mods.

The scene is largely uninterested in cracking the new firmware so all the new cert, master keys, and encoding is completely unknown.

Would you recommend I use the 3.0.0 Switch for homebrew? All of my saves are locked to that console so I'd lose everything but I'll consider it if the benefits are worth it.

Vena

Would you recommend I use the 3.0.0 Switch for homebrew? All of my saves are locked to that console so I'd lose everything but I'll consider it if the benefits are worth it.

I doubt it matters. Custom FW for completely divorcing the Switch from the ecosystem will likely supplant everything eventually, but for now 2.3 and 3.0 are probably no different (there's no going backwards, remember). I was just speaking of FW that has any functionality with new software/servers.

epmode

I doubt it matters. Custom FW for completely divorcing the Switch from the ecosystem will likely supplant everything eventually, but for now 2.3 and 3.0 are probably no different (there's no going backwards, remember). I was just speaking of FW that has any functionality with new software/servers.

That sounds lovely, thanks. I'll update my 3.0.0 console and leave the 2.3 for homebrew. This way, I won't lose any saves and I won't have to ask Nintendo to transfer my content.

Vena

That sounds lovely, thanks. I'll update my 3.0.0 console and leave the 2.3 for homebrew. This way, I won't lose any saves and I won't have to ask Nintendo to transfer my content.

Oh in this scenario? Yes, no question. Progress your saves-rich console, the smhax exploit is possible on all of the firmware before 3.0.1.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
So.... has any homebrew been released? I'm sitting on a 3.0 switch but Mario rabbids is coming out soon

Vena

So.... has any homebrew been released? I'm sitting on a 3.0 switch but Mario rabbids is coming out soon

Nothing will be released this year barring a sudden surge in progress.

This exploit is not homebrew, it is access to functions that could enable the development of it, someone still has to make it and that months and months.

As I've stated multiple times, apparently on deaf ears, you will be waiting YEARS for something to come of this. It was a vulnerability that was found, not an actual exploit. There is a MAJOR difference between the two.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
As I've stated multiple times, apparently on deaf ears, you will be waiting YEARS for something to come of this. It was a vulnerability that was found, not an actual exploit. There is a MAJOR difference between the two.
Oh, so it's basically nothing now. Ah well, I guess I'll be updating it here then.

So there's no carts with 3.0.0, right?

I picked up a spare Switch for homebrew someday. We have a couple in the house already (kids, and wife bought one for whenever Stardew Valley comes out), so I can play those if I need an updated one. Nplus maybe with my own I can actually play Zelda.

Mine came with 2.3.0 (fresh from Best Buy last week).

Kouriozan

Not years but a long time for sure, I think it took 3DS 6/8 months after Cubic Ninja exploit before the homebrew floodgate opened. (It was really limited before then)
Now we are nowhere near the situation of Cubic Ninja right now, so it's going to take longer.

Shoyz

Seemingly big news: The release of 'PegaSwitch'

ReSwitched is proud to announce that a large portion of our development, previously done behind closed doors, is moving to the open. From the beginning, we have strived to be as transparent as is possible; today's shift follows through on that commitment.

PegaSwitch 3.0 is an extensive exploitation toolkit for Switch OS 2.0.0-3.0.0. With complete support for IPC, a brand new API, and automatic gadget hunting, it gives us a new window into the Switch platform.

To that end, we're also announcing that we have a mechanism, which we are calling ROhan, for userland arbitrary code execution on Switch OS 3.0.0. The development of the requisite exploit is not complete and will now be shifting into public. For the nitty-gritty technical details, please see ROhan.

With ROhan targetting firmware 3.0.0 specifically, is there any confirmation that Pokken Tournament DX has the 3.0.0 update on the cart for those at <3.0.0 firmware?

Platy

Should be noted that like the other thread said, tools to make homebrew stuff are only now being released

With ROhan targetting firmware 3.0.0 specifically, is there any confirmation that Pokken Tournament DX has the 3.0.0 update on the cart for those at <3.0.0 firmware?

That would be good to know...

I got a Switch from Amazon.com last month that came with 2.3.0 (or 2.2.0 can't remember), and I got a second one two days ago that's currently shipping... I have a feeling this one will be 3.0.1, as I've read reports people getting that from units purchased from Target last week.

dVeLoPe

i have a switch still new never opened from walmart launch console not sure what fw but ill sell it also have a snes classic

sneas78

Banned
I have 3 switches. 2 on 2.3 and one on the latest firmware. I’d like to sale one of the 2.3 switch locally.. is Craigslist the only option now a days ? I’m not selling it at a profit. $300 is what I paid for .. and $300 is what I want to sale it for. Like I said I don’t want to deal with eBay and mail the switch. Never sold anything on eBay. However Craigslist seems to be shady .. I’m in Seattle.

Today I received the Switch I ordered from Amazon.com last week (my third Switch so far), this one came with version 2.1, just like the one I got last month.

n64coder

Today I received the Switch I ordered from Amazon.com last week (my third Switch so far), this one came with version 2.1, just like the one I got last month.

How do you determine which version your switch is on? In the spot where it shows the version, it says "update is ready" or something like that.

Top Bottom