• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge Nintendo Switch exploit (potential hack) found on firmware 3.0.0

Drain You

Mods will be limited due to future software being unable to run or be accessed on the cracked firmware.

Man, I feel like this thread is just making me pose more questions.

So from what I've read about EFUSE or whatever making firmware updates is almost hardware locked. So does this mean if a game releases on a certain firmware lets say 4.0.0 or something a game wouldn't work unless it had that firmware or later? If so, I wonder if possible how hard it would be able to rid the games released on 4.0.0 or later requirements. Again im talking out my ass right now.

alpha69

You do not need to update to 3.0. This is for anything before 3.0.1.

Oh is that so? Awesome. Guess I misunderstood the OP. Looks like my efforts to not update is about to payoff. Glad I had nothing that interest me after Zelda other than Xenoblade Chronicles 2 so it wasn't too hard. Now to disconnect my Switch from the internet so I don't accidentally update it :3

Vena

But Zelda tho?

That's... about it. You can already do this on WiiU without sacrificing your Switch. Splatoon and MK8 and ARMS don't work anymore except in their limited single-player modes and that's not their selling point any way.

I guess you could mod eShop games but, then I ask, why would you?

Downgrade fuses? How this kind of thing works?

The Switch has a set of physical fuses in it, firmware updates burn a certain number. If you try to install a wrong version (roll back) firmware, the system will see that the firmware does not agree with the number of burned fuses and can, in the extreme case, brick your console.

Man, I feel like this thread is just making me pose more questions.

So from what I've read about EFUSE or whatever making firmware updates is almost hardware locked. So does this mean if a game releases on a certain firmware lets say 4.0.0 or something a game wouldn't work unless it had that firmware or later? If so, I wonder if possible how hard it would be able to rid the games released on 4.0.0 or later requirements. Again im talking out my ass right now.

Well, you'd need to decrypt the software which is going to have different encryption from now on so anything that was possible (see: all the dumps of early Switch software, they were decrypted by this exploit) will have to be done anew with new work.

BigEmil

Conversely, if you are doing this in the secret hopes for piracy, congratulations on your new 300$ paperweight (because you are going to be stuck in 3.0.0) for a long, long time with no library available to it.

If any one is curious on this same exact thing happening in the past, look up the PS4's 1.76 firmware. A different but major exploit allowed for the PS4 to be turned into a linux PC if you so chose or run unsigned code to your heart's content. It was subsequently patched out but people still hunt down those TLOU PS4 Bundles because thats the only way to 1.76. Other firmwares were cracked to much more limited degrees. The PS4 didn't suddenly see rampant piracy on all its software.
Lol your directing this at the wrong person and I mess with homebrew alot especially more so on handheld and Switch can potentially be a awesome portable homebrew machine getting a second cheap switch for offline games and see what leads up and if homebrew scene is good with the other

Vena

Lol your directing this at the wrong person and I mess with homebrew alot especially more so on handheld and Switch can potentially be a awesome portable homebrew machine getting a second cheap switch for offline games and see what leads up and if homebrew scene is good with the other

Oh no that was generic. I was just bouncing off the string of thought!

Bowl0l

The Switch has a set of physical fuses in it, firmware updates burn a certain number. If you try to install a wrong version (roll back) firmware, the system will see that the firmware does not agree with the number of burned fuses and can, in the extreme case, brick your console.
There should be a limit on how many fuses they can burn, right? What's stopping malicious parties to mislead Nintendo to release truckloads of stability update?

Vena

There should be a limit on how many fuses they can burn, right? What's stopping malicious parties to mislead Nintendo to release truckloads of stability update?

I mean, they check these things before they roll out a major firmware revision that will burn fuses.

well I mean if you got the wifi on while you do it, it sends an alert to Nintendo anyways and they basically know what you're trying to do.

Vena

Also do mind that even if they burned fuses with the rapidity as they did with 3.0.1, it'd still be about five years before they ran out.

I always feel like the people who downplay Homebrew and just jump on the "Bull, it's only for piracy!" train have no idea how many awesome things Homebrew has given us. Christ sake, it even sometimes exposes the platform makers shady bullshit and gives us features we should have. My favorite is the revelation that all PlayStation 3's have software PS2 backwards compatibility, something Sony "removed." They just turned it off and started selling PS2 Classics which were just a PS2 ISO inside a wrapper that tells the PS3 to "turn on the software backwards compatibility for this." Homebrewers were able to reverse this and restore the software PS2 backwards compatibility that works on the majority of the PS2 library.

The hardware-based backwards compatibility was removed, though. Otherwise it wouldn't merely be the "majority" of the PS2 library that worked. The "software backwards compatibility" you speak of is literally the PS2 emulator they developed for the PS2 Classics line, which was never "removed", only "added". Could they have made it available for disc-based games? Perhaps, but they had no obligation to, especially when they likely didn't test their emulator very far beyond the games they actually released on PSN.

Vena

I wonder if there are hackers that turn this into a sport. Whoever burn most fuses wins.

You sign a contract when you report these things to HackerOne. Turning this into a game like that is a good way to get sued into oblivion by Nintendo's lawyers.

When people say emulation is legal (because apparently it is)...how could they actually practically use it legally? You'd still have to illegally download games.

Drain You

When people say emulation is legal (because apparently it is)...how could they actually practically use it legally? You'd still have to illegally download games.

you can legally dump your own games. For instance dumping WiiU games via the WiiU system you have in your possession, then playing it on your PC

you can legally dump your own games. For instance dumping WiiU games via the WiiU system you have in your possession, then playing it on your PC

I guess he meant older consoles like snes and n64.
and tbh: do you really think that most emulator users have dumping devices for these consoles?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Cool. Anything homebrew is great in my book!

I think I updated to 3.0.1 to access the eShop and download Sonic Mania... but, honestly, I have so many hacked consoles that I don't need another one. My Wii U is great for that stuff, and I have my 3DS and, to a lesser extent, my Vita to play things on the go.

snap

Banned
Couldn't remember if I had updated to 3.0.1 or not--I lent my Switch out to a friend on Aug 1st after it had sat on my desk unused for a while, but I think he updated to buy the Zelda Season Pass. Got it back today, and lo and behold it's on 3.0.1. Ah well, I was going to update anyways for Mario+Rabbids and the homebrew stuff is always slow to start. In a year or whenever they find a new exploit the community will have grown enough to justify hacking the Switch.

Drain You

and tbh: do you really think that most emulator users have dumping devices for these consoles?

Dumping Snes and N64 is also accessible. As for most emulator users thats my not my judgement to make. My personal opinion though however is that I agree with you, but I think you knew that :)

D.Lo

you can legally dump your own games.
Legality varies dramatically between countries. In Australia you are only allowed a single format shifted backup copy of any copyrighted material you have legally owned.

So if you rip a game to a SD card in Australia, it is legal, but stuck on the SD card. You can play it from that SD card, or your original disc, if you make another copy it is a crime.

It is also illegal to circumvent copy protection of any sort in Australia.

Somewhere close to 0.000000000001% of SNES emulator users rip their own SNES games. Genuine peer-reviewed figure.

Persona7

Banned
I wonder if any games have 3.0.0 on the cart. Splatoon and Arms have 2.x.x.

It will take a minimum of 10-12 weeks for shipments in stores to come loaded with 3.0.1.

//DEVIL//

welp. I am 3.0.1 thanks to sonic mania.

but I did notice something, I was on 2.0 before and when I bought splatoon 2 it didn't allow me to play till I update to newer firmware. which means everyone who is still at 3.0 right now, a game will come that u need to buy will force u to update, unless homebrew or firmware spoofer came before that specific game.

oti

Banned
As enticing a fully unlocked Switch may be, I'd rather just enjoy Splatoon 2 multiplayer and the available games hassle-free. This isn't some situation in which the console is multiple years old and the release schedule slows down.

Nintendo should definitely hurry up getting Virtual Console running on this thing though for sure.

f@luS

More than a member.
It's available easily here in France (320e). And anyway I wanted blue red joycon so it's another switch for 250e and it would be 3.0 or under. Should I bite ?
Only interrested for emulation ..... I bought a gpd win for that by it sucked.

But the fact we still can't fucking transfer save file from one switch to another is a bummer

Lizardus

I bought a CFW n3DS just to convert my Monster Hunter Generations save to the Japanese version and region free but I won't have a need for that on the Switch so I'm not interested.

Just a question, JUST homebrew doesn't allow for things like translation patches, right? There has to be a CFW on the hardware?

Seen this thread and ran downstairs to check my housemates Switch version, it's good to go.

He doesn't play the thing so Im sure he'll sell it for cheap.

No interest in Switch online gaming so this is perfect for me. Now to wait for the homebrew scene to explode :)

Hmm, maybe I should pick one up now. What are the odds of retail Switches having 3.0.0?

In a few weeks, is my assumption.

Seen this thread and ran downstairs to check my housemates Switch version, it's good to go.

No interest in Switch online gaming so this is perfect for me. Now to wait for the homebrew scene to explode :)

I mean, you can't tell him to not update it despite the games coming out later.

oti

Banned

To do what, exactly? Emulation I can see as a huge draw, but there are so many other devices nowadays to do that with, it's not really appealing to me. And I'll just play the same old five or so games anyway. Cloud saves? Is that such a huge draw for people to lock themselves out of online multiplayer? Indie games? No-one plays homebrew games, right?

In a few weeks, is my assumption.

I mean, you can't tell him to not update it despite the games coming out later.
He never uses it. He'll definitely sell it for beer or weed money if I ask.

To do what, exactly? Emulation I can see as a huge draw, but there are so many other devices nowadays to do that with, it's not really appealing to me. And I'll just play the same old five or so games anyway. Cloud saves? Is that such a huge draw for people to lock themselves out of online multiplayer? Indie games? No-one plays homebrew games, right?
It's designed as a games machine. It's the perfect way to play emulated games. I pay for Xbox live so I do all my multiplayer gaming on there. This will be the perfect second machine for older games

Besides there will be ways to bypass the version number for newer games. Hell on the 3ds you could still use the eshop and online with a hacked machine. With the Switch being so popular there's no doubt more hacking eyes will be on the machine.

It will be a tablet for me in no time.

Sayad

SNES/NES/Genesis etc have had countless of official digital releases by now that are easy to dump without external specialized hardware though! It's not really rare for someone to dump their own SNES/Genisis games today!

D.Lo

SNES/NES/Genesis etc have had countless of official digital releases by now that are easy to dump without external specialized hardware though! It's not really rare for someone to dump their own SNES game rom today!
It's 'not rare' in that maybe a few hundred or even a few thousand people worldwide may have done it at some point now.

Relative to the number of times an SNES ROM is played on an emulator however? It would be vanishingly rare.

He never uses it. He'll definitely sell it for beer or weed money if I ask.

It's designed as a games machine. It's the perfect way to play emulated games. I pay for Xbox live so I do all my multiplayer gaming on there. This will be the perfect second machine for older games

Besides there will be ways to bypass the version number for newer games. Hell on the 3ds you could still use the eshop and online with a hacked machine. With the Switch being so popular there's no doubt more hacking eyes will be on the machine.

I doubt this will be possible anytime soon.

It's the perfect way to play emulated games. I pay for Xbox live so I do all my multiplayer gaming on there. This will be the perfect second machine for older games

what if, theoretically, Nintendo releases a massive Virtual Console library (available from the start with top-notch emulation) with it's upcoming online service?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Just to be clear, people should know what you are getting into.

• It could be from months to years to never (slim prob) to see functioning homebrew.
  • Its very likely that an effective firmware cheat wont be achieved for many years, if ever.
  • Is very likely that you will never get online access on 3.0.0. Including the eshop.
  • Is very likely you wont be able to play new games on 3.0.0

Just checking.

• It could be from months to years to never (slim prob) to see functioning homebrew.
  • Its very likely that an effective firmware cheat wont be achieved for many years, if ever.
  • Is very likely that you will never get online access on 3.0.0. Including the eshop.

Just checking.
Exactly, if people REALLY believe this means they'll have a cracked open console with emulators running perfectly in a few months, they are going to be VERY disappointed.

The 3ds and switch are completely different cases.

Just checking.

I think this should be added to the OP.
A lot of people in this thread seem to be rather irrational.

D.Lo

Sounds like the security of the system is very good, like much better than phones?

Even 3DS was IMO prohibitavely complicated for the majority to hack.

Just checking.

I'm well aware of all that and I'm fine with it. I would never limit myself like that on my main Switch system (I already said that Sonic Mania was worth updating for, not to mention upcoming games like Mario Odyssey and beyond), but I'm currently fortunate enough to be able to afford a second Switch and wait for when/if homebrew becomes viable on it. And if it never does, or I find myself short on cash, Switches aren't exactly difficult to liquidate. In fact in my country Switch is being sold for more than $80 over what I paid Amazon last night.

I wouldn't recommend someone wait for homebrew by staying on older firmware if they only have one system and want to play new games or online.

Top Bottom