• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge Pokemon Go Stampede in Taiwan for a Snorlax

Oxn

Hmmm I live in Brooklyn.

I was a passenger in a car, and then snorllax popped up, and I only saw one other Asian guy around to catch it.

TP-DK

I would get so pissed if I were trying to get to work (or anywhere else actually) and this happened.

Atleast there werent an ambulance, with a dying person, trying to get by.

I've got zero sympathy for the drivers.

People here drive with ZERO regard for pedestrian foot traffic. I've seen cars stop a few inches shy of strollers, I shit you not. It's infuriating how inconsiderate drivers here are, so fuck 'em. Let's hope more Snorlax pop up all over town, force these drivers to actually use their brakes for a change.

Wavebossa

This is terrifying. I would think that a bomb had just went off somewhere or someone is mowing people down with an automatic weapon.

But no... its a snorlax...laaaaaaaaax

I would get so pissed if I were trying to get to work (or anywhere else actually) and this happened.

Atleast there werent an ambulance, with a dying person, trying to get by.

Cars here don't make way for an ambulance. Traffic don't give a fuck. People keep on keeping on, and I've seen ambulances get held up with guys in the back doing chest compressions.

FYI, the youtube description says that these people were waiting patiently during the red light (of the pedestrian crossing, I assume), and only started moving when it was green and safe from them to do so. Just saying, because I'm seeing a lot of commenters shitting on these people for "endangering" themselves or the cars or whatever.

MGrant

Taipei's streets are fucking tiny. Glad I wasn't up there for this, but I was there a few weeks ago when it released and everyone was playing that shit, even at 3 am.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Hah. Snorlax is my favorite and I joked that I would retire as soon as I got him. It was 10pm, I was at a liquor store, turn around and see through the window 4 kids rushing to the end of the street. I casually go outside and see them at the end of the block, pull out my phone and there was Snorlax.

Lmao, I love seeing the "Grow up. Stop catching Pokemon!!" argument from posters on NeoGaf.

Look in a mirror.

Amiibos are more mature.

krae_man

I had one show up in my sightings while at work but I couldn't leave my desk:(

Caught a Laprus walking home later that day so that made me feel better.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hmmm I live in Brooklyn.

I was a passenger in a car, and then snorllax popped up, and I only saw one other Asian guy around to catch it.

I was walking around Port Jeff and saw a Snorlax, only other people who were there were 2 middle-aged Salvadorians, they were both a little miffed that Snorlax ran off. Managed to catch him after using about 15 Pokeballs though.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I've never seen a snorlax but every now and then I see a gym with one.

I only see pidgeys and drowzees around where I am. And one Eevee.

I'm not sure how not getting this makes me salty.

I can't imagine anything with less sex appeal than going around with your phone catching Pokemon in public

Maybe someone cooler than me could pull it off

this would be true if we were talking actual pokemon games. nobody is pulling out their 3ds here.

pokemon go is making millions because it appeals to people who have absolutely no interest in main pokemon games/video games in general

you walk places and socialize with people, with 90s nostalgia as a common ground

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Wow, are Snorlax that rare? I've like 3, and 2 of those just showed on my work's place Pokestop.

It's relatively rare but not as rare as something like Muk. But when you're playing PoGo with a crowd like this, generally when a few people start running and getting excited about something, most of the crowd will follow even if they don't know what they're looking for. PoGo is a completely different experience when played with a large crowd. I filmed this in the Seattle area recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vcY0iwntmI

Check 2:10 for a stampede

tdwig

Neo Member
It's relatively rare but not as rare as something like Muk. But when you're playing PoGo with a crowd like this, generally when a few people start running and getting excited about something, most of the crowd will follow even if they don't know what they're looking for. PoGo is a completely different experience when played with a large crowd. I filmed this in the Seattle area recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vcY0iwntmI

Check 2:10 for a stampede

That was hysterical.

mugwhump

Snorlax blocking roads and streets since 1996.

hahaha

First time someone gets seriously hurt or dies because of a rampaging mob...Niantic needs to get its shit together.

The question of legal liability for pokemon go is an interesting one. TBH I think Niantic have gone out of their way to prevent accidents (and potential lawsuits), perhaps to the detriment of the game itself. For example, I suspect one reason they're de-emphasizing the tracking of nearby pokemon in favor of finding pokemon near pokestops is because they know pokestops are more likely to be accessible, safe places, and not on private property or somewhere dangerous. They also allow pokestops to be removed without verification since they lack the manpower to verify, but they'd rather allow some legit stops to be removed than slow down the process of removing "bad" stops. They do seem to be prioritizing safety.

But I'm not really sure how they could prevent stampedes like this without fundamentally changing the nature of the game.

edit: and of course there are also the numerous safety warnings displayed incessantly while playing.

Acerac

Banned
Go find a girlfriend or go drink beer with friends. This is so fucking stupid for older people to play some pokemons. Jesus, it's so obvious.

I have a relationship, get drunk with friends, and enjoy Pokemon Go. Sometimes I mix and match these activities, getting drunk with friends and playing Pokemon Go is good fun, for example.

That so many people on this forum look down on this video game is strange to me. Is it because it forces you to outside?

this would be true if we were talking actual pokemon games. nobody is pulling out their 3ds here.

pokemon go is making millions because it appeals to people who have absolutely no interest in main pokemon games/video games in general

you walk places and socialize with people, with 90s nostalgia as a common ground

At least people who play on their 3DS aren't wasting their phone batteries for pokemon

HardRojo

Go find a girlfriend or go drink beer with friends. This is so fucking stupid for older people to play some pokemons. Jesus, it's so obvious.
Lol, you have no idea what kind of people I've found playing Pokémon Go. I party basically every Saturday and will be leaving tomorrow with a bunch of friends to Northern Peru where we rented a beach house for the whole weekend, I'll play Pokémon Go if I want to, it doesn't mean that I don't do other things that "make you a cool person".

Zyrox

I remember when they released that trailer with Mewtwo in Times Square and the big crowd of people all there to catch him, and everyone was like "lol as if that's ever gonna happen, keep dreaming Niantic/TPC".
Fast forward, and now we have this (and countless other stories of large gatherings). And this isn't even Mewtwo. Crazy.

Goldrush

Wonder how crazy it will get when the game outright tell everyone to go to a pokestop to catch a pokemon rather than relying on words of mouth.

Pokemon GO didn't live up to my hype. I just get more fulfillment from the full game.

Plus it blew the fuck out of me when I saw there was only Rattata, Pidgey, Caterpie in St Thomas and the fucking Bahamas.

5taquitos

How do you even level up your Snorlax if you only ever catch one? What if you go to catch it and it's 22 CP?

I drink beer with my wife while catching mons, get on my level.

Top Bottom