• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hulk Hogan sex tape included racist tirade - WWE cuts all ties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acorn

Hogan transcended the business to a degree that Austin never did. Austin's popular, make no mistake - but almost ALL of his popularity is because he's a wrestler. People know him as that. Hulk had his fingers and toes in a bunch of different pies. Web hosting, cartoons, pasta...it's insane.
This is true.

Austin has his podcasts now that do well but that's mostly down to mid-late 20s guys like me being huge marks for Austin. I'd still say Rock beats them all now. He's the go to guy was rescuing huge blockbusters etc. I didn't live through peak hulkamania in the 80s though (born 87)

But purely wrestling fame Hogan/austin, rock, hbk then cena imo.

Sanjuro

Hogan is the most popular, notable.

Austin headlined the company during it's most popular period.

Then it's pretty much everyone else, give or take.

Mr. Sam

Shawn Michaels put WWF into the toilet and business only picked back up once he "retired." He was marginally more successful than Diesel.

Acorn

Hogan is the most popular, notable.

Austin headlined the company during it's most popular period.

Then it's pretty much everyone else, give or take.
If Rock stayed he'd be in conversation with hogan and austin. He had the ability to carry the company and still sorta did with hollywood rock etc for small periods.

When Hulk and Linda Hogan's divorce was finalized, he ended up being forced to pay her 70% of the couple's assets which amounted to roughly $30 million in cash, property and cars. In a radio interview in 2011, Hulk admitted that the divorce brought him essentially to the brink of bankruptcy

the fuck is this shit?

If I ever become a millionaire Im never getting married

Acorn

Shawn Michaels put WWF into the toilet and business only picked back up once he "retired." He was marginally more successful than Diesel.
The era killed the business cartoony bs, HBK starting to push then Austin picking that up and running with it fixed it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If it wasn't for Michaels' career resurrection in mid to late 2000s, he would be looked back on a lot less fondly. He saved his legacy with that.

commedieu

Banned

tumblr_m4ywyuZIDi1qgvz2q.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone read HBK's book? Is he honest about his cunt period?

I don't believe he is. Carny motherfucker to the end. You know damn well his "discovery" of faith is so he didn't have to deal with real apologies. That fuckface.

Acorn

I don't believe he is. Carny motherfucker to the end. You know damn well his "discovery" of faith is so he didn't have to deal with real apologies. That fuckface.
Argh, I had listened to his podcasts with jericho and austin and thought maybe since it wasn't wwe funded he'd be more honest.

Fathom

Banned
Agreed.

I would also suggest Cena before Rock as well. I'm not a fan of Cena, but I imagine he's pulling top dollar with the kids during his time v. The Rock's heyday.

Even if we're talking strictly wrestling, I don't think so. The Rock was huge even before his movie career, now he's more famous than all of them. Everyone knows who him and Hogan are, and the only reason I put Hogan ahead is for the icon cache (which will probably diminish). Austin and Cena aren't as known to people who don't care at all about wrestling.

Acorn

Even if we're talking strictly wrestling, I don't think so. The Rock was huge even before his movie career, now he's more famous than all of them. Everyone knows who him and Hogan are, and the only reason I put Hogan ahead is for the icon cache (which will probably diminish). Austin and Cena aren't as known to people who don't care at all about wrestling.
Austin was loved by marks and everyone else. He was wwf from 97-2000ish

WWE removed Hulk Hogan's theme music from Spotify and the entire "WWE Anthology - Vol. 1" album that had Hogan on the box art.

You can still totally listen to Chris Benoit's theme on WWE Anthology - Vol. 2 though.

WWE removed Hulk Hogan's theme music from Spotify and the entire "WWE Anthology - Vol. 1" album that had Hogan on the box art.

You can still totally listen to Chris Benoit's theme on WWE Anthology - Vol. 2 though.

I added the Anthology to Apple Music and then it became grayed out recently. I didn't understand why at the time. Now it make sense.

In my opinion The Rock is bigger than Austin but Hulk was the biggest star for the company and wrestling in general. I can see The Rock actually being bigger when all is said and done with his TV and movies. Hulk was in some shitty movies.

what's funny is that Donald Trump is still part of the WWE Hall of Fame after all the racist things Trump said publicly

Vince McMahon vying for Veep?

oneils

When Hulk and Linda Hogan's divorce was finalized, he ended up being forced to pay her 70% of the couple's assets which amounted to roughly $30 million in cash, property and cars. In a radio interview in 2011, Hulk admitted that the divorce brought him essentially to the brink of bankruptcy

the fuck is this shit?

Maybe he had to sell of investments and it incurred a tax event. So he had to liquidate 70% of his assets to give her her portion. Who knows. These summaries are usually one sided and I doubt they are accurate.

DMczaf

the fuck is this shit?

Who the fuck was his divorce lawyer? Clarence Mason??

I added the Anthology to Apple Music and then it became grayed out recently. I didn't understand why at the time. Now it make sense.

In my opinion The Rock is bigger than Austin but Hulk was the biggest star for the company and wrestling in general. I can see The Rock actually being bigger when all is said and done with his TV and movies. Hulk was in some shitty movies.

I don't think anyone will ever surpass Hogan as a wrestling icon. Rock is huge, but I think to a lot of people he's the "famous actor who used to wrestle". Hogan IS wrestling. His bald head, bronze skin and bleach hair and mustache are so iconic and identifiable. People who have never watched a wrestling match in their lives know him, and know his music or catchphrases. He's the Babe Ruth of wrestling.

Maybe he had to sell of investments and it incurred a tax event. So he had to liquidate 70% of his assets to give her her portion. Who knows. These summaries are usually one sided and I doubt they are accurate.

Hogan's ex actually received 70% of their LIQUID assets, which was something like 7.5 million. She also kept some cars and shit, but he pays no alimony. Sounds like he was banking on his future income potential. Based on the last decade, that wasn't a great decision.

Sanjuro

I don't think anyone will ever surpass Hogan as a wrestling icon. Rock is huge, but I think to a lot of people he's the "famous actor who used to wrestle". Hogan IS wrestling. His bald head, bronze skin and bleach hair and mustache are so iconic and identifiable. People who have never watched a wrestling match in their lives know him, and know his music or catchphrases. He's the Babe Ruth of wrestling.

It's the same with neckbeard Nintendo fans who think Mario is more popular than Pac-Man.

The Rock was always second best when they had more popular firsts. Outside that, he will have the best outside career.

Kurtofan

It's the same with neckbeard Nintendo fans who think Mario is more popular than Pac-Man.

The Rock was always second best when they had more popular firsts. Outside that, he will have the best outside career.

Are you saying Pac man is more popular than Mario.

cIJqY0Yl.jpg
yes truly the mark of a popular icon of video gaming.

Sanjuro

Are you saying Pac man is more popular than Mario.

cIJqY0Yl.jpg
yes truly the mark of a popular icon of video gaming.

Hah. I was being a bit silly, but overall Pac-Man is more recognizable worldwide than Mario.

The comparison would be Smash Bros where they are both on the same roster. Rock always had someone else around during his run, despite being very popular.

Hah. I was being a bit silly, but overall Pac-Man is more recognizable worldwide than Mario.

The comparison would be Smash Bros where they are both on the same roster. Rock always had someone else around during his run, despite being very popular.
idk if i agree with that at all though, mario is way more known than pacman these days.

Kurtofan

With this demographic, sure. If you went to everyone on this planet with a photo of both, Pac-Man wins easily. Different discussion though.

Mario isn't some nerd only icon, he's been more relevant that pacman for ages, with more games that are very popular with non-gamers, from oldies like Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros and Super Mario World to more recent games like New super mario bros or Mario Kart.

I don't see any evidence pacman is more known.

DiscoJer

Gorgeous George is probably the Babe Ruth of wrestling. So many of the self promotion gimmicks used by not just wrestlers, but celebrities, he invented. In his day, he was much bigger than Hogan ever was. He made professional wrestling a TV sport. Hell, he made TV a big deal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgeous_George

RibMan

Here's a link to a video that has the audio you can listen too:

http://www.baynews9.com/content/new... Hogan and son jailhouse recordings from 2008

Hulk is trying to be "young" and relate to his son. I know he's using terrible language but the love for his son is real. He's not being racist here in my opinion.

Nick made a terrible mistake in that crash and his dad is standing by him in this audio. I had more feels then outrage listening to it.

Diet racism is still racism brother

DeathyBoy

Banned
Everyone fucks up eventually, it's not like he wanted to hurt Austin.

Also worth noting Austin did the SAME MOVE to Masahiro Chono, which fucked up Chono's neck to the extent that Chono had to switch up his moveset entirely and was a shadow of his former self.

Kama is a bitch.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Hulk is the bigger icon but multiple people have said nobody made more money for the company than Austin.

Austin made the most money in the shortest period. Chances are Cena's probably made the most money of anyone (longer period as the guy, monthly PPVs, more merchandise etc.)

Hex

Banned
Hogan pretty much is the reason that there is a WWE.
Without something like him, and the way he was built the WWF would have never gone over and been any different than the AWA, NWA or the other territories like WCCW.
Austin was great, but the Hulk Hogan marketing machine had an impact that will never ve replicated.

the fuck is this shit?

Does that make any difference when you have kids and have been co-habiting for a long time under current laws where she can take you to the cleaners regardless? Trust laws and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom