• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humble SNK NeoGeo 25th Anniversary bundle, including several PC debut games

Corpekata

Banned
https://www.humblebundle.com/?utm_source=Link&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Humble NEOGEO Bundle

Most of them are DRM free in the bundle, but a ton of these were in the Steam Help Desk leak the other day so should show up there eventually.

Some notables:

Samurai Showdown games
Garou Mark of the Wolves
Metal Slug games
The Last Blade

Looks like a bunch can be demoed in browsers as well.

I'm seeing a lot of the same questions come up constantly so I made a FAQ. I'd appreciate it if a mod or Corpekata put this in the OP.

FAQ

Wow, 20 games! Are all of these on Steam!?

Sadly, no. The only ones on Steam are Metal Slug, Metal Slug X, Metal Slug 3, KOF98UM, and KO2k2UM. The rest are DRM free downloads.

Okay, then what's the deal with the non-Steam games then? Do they have online play?

They're emulations using frontends designed by DotEmu. Unfortunately, they're pretty limited. You can't remap controls or switch between MVS/AES, and there appear to be bugs based on the refresh rate of your monitor. And no, none of these have online play.

Bummer. Is there another way I can play the emulated games?

Yes! All of these games have the corresponding ROMs in their installation folder. You can run these ROMs in RetroArch (with the Final Burn Alpha core) or FightCade and they run perfectly.

Wait, ROMs and emulators? Is this illegal?

Nope. Emulators by themselves are perfectly legal, and since you purchased the ROMs straight from the publisher they're legally yours.

Some of these games were listed in the SteamDB leak, does this mean I'll get Steam keys when those games are out on Steam?

No one knows. None of those releases have been officially announced yet, so we might not hear anything about them for a while.

Holy shit, are these all on PC? KOF 2k2 UM, Metal Slug, The Last Blade, the GOAT Samurai Shodown II and friggin' Garou? $10 for all of those plus more?? This is an amazing bundle!

Piano

Banned
X2UnMuC.png

yJqNbJk.png

An incredible deal.

Tizoc

So I'm not crazy
This is real life?
THIS IS ACTUAL REAL LIFE

IS THIS REAL LIFE GAF I GOTTA KNOW

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Besides the two KOF UM games, are these basically just ROMs or do they have online play?

Tagyhag

Fuck that's an amazing deal, and more games coming soon too.

I wonder if they'll do Steam keys for games like Garou when they're released over there.

If they're not actual ports, how does the controller support work? I'm super down with this bundle, but they could definitely be more specific on how these games function. Has anyone bought it yet?

Holy shit Samurai Shodown V Special! That was never ported to anything.

Oh wow, you're right, I don't even think it was in the Anthology from a few years ago. Refresh my memory since it's been a while, what was it that made it the definitive version compared to the original again?

Miker

Most of them aren't steam games unfortunately =(

I'm guessing "Humble Debut" means they'll show up on Steam eventually, but you'll probably need to pay for it. I guess Humble could provide Steam keys if that happens, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm loading Garou in my browser right now, I'm rather curious about how this demo works.

BiggNife

Any Price:

Art of Fighting 2
King of the Monsters
Fatal Fury Special
Metal Slug 2
Samurai Shodown 2
Sengoku 3
KOF 2000
Baseball Stars 2

Beat the Average:

Last Blade
Pulstar
Metal Slug (Steam)
Metal Slug 3 (Steam)

Shock Troopers (!!)
Neo Turf Masters
KOF 98UM (Steam)
Twinkle Star Sprites

$10 or more:

Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
Samurai Showdown V Special (!!!)
Garou Mark of the Wolves (!!!!!)
Metal Slug X (Steam)
KOF2002UM (Steam)

Only the ones marked Steam have Steam versions. I assume the rest are running on emulators.

Gren

No info on whether the non-Steam games have anything additional (i.e. online play; doubtful), but I don't care. Haven't had an affordable opportunity to legit own many of these old classics ever since they abandoned the Neo Geo Station on PS3.

I'll post my spares for the KOFs later on.

First time in a long time that a soundtrack entry actually matters to me too. If FFS & AOF2 include the arranged compositions...my god.

Buburibon

Good stuff, though my beloved Art of Fighting isn't there (yet?). That, and I would've much preferred to have everything on Steam.

Still, I think I'll bite. :)

Tizoc

If they're not actual ports, how does the controller support work? I'm super down with this bundle, but they could definitely be more specific on how these games function. Has anyone bought it yet?

Buying the bundle now.
I regret nothing. My sacrifice is for you GAF.

Corpekata

Banned
The site seems to be running like shit currently, so if anyone actually can buy it and report back, would be neato.

Krejlooc

Banned
Bought 4 copies of this humble bundle, 1 for myself, 3 for gifts to others

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus christ, the best fighting game ever is now on Steam

Why is Mark of the Werewolves considered better than king of the hill and fatal fury series?

Garou is Fatal Fury 4.

It is SNK's answer to Street Fighter 3. It is SNK's finest hour.

Hot damn, this is quite surprising, not only due to the sheer amount of games, but also the "Humble Debut". Part of me is holding back due to most of these not being on Steam (with no confirmation if they'll be added later/keys will be handed out), but shit...seems like too good an offer to pass up either way.

georly

Bought 4 copies of this humble bundle, 1 for myself, 3 for gifts to others

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus christ, the best fighting game ever is now on Steam

Garou is Fatal Fury 4.

It is SNK's answer to Street Fighter 3. It is SNK's finest hour.

Garou isn't on steam? It's just humble download, no?

Miker

The "Play now" in your browser option, at least for Garou, is a 2 minute trial. Pretty slick implementation, even if it is just for 2 minutes.

Top Bottom