• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter has missed a full year of publication for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalvaPot

My man.

Although, my three are:
Thriller Bark
Marineford
Sabaody Archipelago

OnePiece, from Reverse Mountain all the way through Marineford, is god tier. I will fist fight people. Post-War arc was bad though. A scattered epilogue with an overly long flashback. I stopped reading during Dressrosa. Last I remember
Luffy fought Bellamy; Law got wrecked by Doffy (even though him and Luffy pulled some sick tag combos); Rebecca and her dad fought Diamante (more like she cried and he fought); Robin, Cavendish, Bartolomeo were fighting shrapnel dude; Zoro and Pica were dueling...and that's it. I have no idea what anyone else was doing. Sitting on a mountain watching, I think? Bottom line is that it took forever for them to get to Doffy and even THEN it took forever for anything to actually happen.
Oda's pacing killed me. I couldn't handle it. And up until then, I only watched the anime. You wanna talk pacing issues....motherfucker I LIVED in pacing issues and I couldn't handle Oda's pacing.

That was taken in what, '94?

One Piece doesn't work as well in weekly form, weirdly enough. Its much better to read it by Volume. I hated Fishman Island arc, but then got the volumes and read them again and I enjoyed them far more.

No idea how old is the picture.

Frog-fu

Banned
My man.

Although, my three are:
Thriller Bark
Marineford
Sabaody Archipelago

OnePiece, from Reverse Mountain all the way through Marineford, is god tier. I will fist fight people. Post-War arc was bad though. A scattered epilogue with an overly long flashback. I stopped reading during Dressrosa. Last I remember
Luffy fought Bellamy; Law got wrecked by Doffy (even though him and Luffy pulled some sick tag combos); Rebecca and her dad fought Diamante (more like she cried and he fought); Robin, Cavendish, Bartolomeo were fighting shrapnel dude; Zoro and Pica were dueling...and that's it. I have no idea what anyone else was doing. Sitting on a mountain watching, I think? Bottom line is that it took forever for them to get to Doffy and even THEN it took forever for anything to actually happen.
Oda's pacing killed me. I couldn't handle it. And up until then, I only watched the anime. You wanna talk pacing issues....motherfucker I LIVED in pacing issues and I couldn't handle Oda's pacing.

I liked Marineford, though it was a tad too long, and Sabaody Archipelago was great, mostly due to Rayleigh, but One Piece was really at it best for me when the crew was together. They'd split up in the past, but never for this long, and never this frequently, or with such lengthy periods of characters just not showing up.

I agree, Reverse Mountain until the timeskip was pretty much perfect. I mean, Skypiea is a relatively weak arc by comparison, and Impel Down + Marineford, while awesome, left us without the crew longer than I would have liked, but at least it still felt like One Piece to me. It felt like the grand adventure it was meant to be with a great personal arc for Luffy as the payoff as he was the last to get one.

Nowadays the Point A to Point B plot just doesn't have that sense of wonder or adventure anymore. The crew is always just chasing someone or something and it's boring the way Oda goes about writing it.

For me, nothing post TS has come close to touching the zenith of One Piece when the SHP were on their adventures and everyone got enough screen time. Their endeavours on the way and in Alabasta, the epic twists and fights in Water 7, and the pure hilarity and action sequences of Thriller Bark just cannot be touched.

I'm still waiting for my SHP VS Oars equivalent. Still waiting for something as hilarious as Usopp getting his ass handed to him by Kung-fu Dugongs or a genuinely gut-wrenching moment like the death of Merry. I just want the family back, man.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
People make a bigger deal about the boat than they should.

1. The story doesn't focus on Guts for a big chunk of it, and some earth shattering shit is happening during this time so it's not like the story ever got boring or anything

2. They aren't even on the boat the entire time. They've made several stops since they got on it.

It's mainly just that the story will only really advance once Guts gets to Elfheim. So the entire time he's on the boat = blue balls.

Zatoth

QsjBcUv.png

Wish this was real.

I liked Marineford, though it was a tad too long, and Sabaody Archipelago was great, mostly due to Rayleigh, but One Piece was really at it best for me when the crew was together. They'd split up in the past, but never for this long, and never this frequently, or with such lengthy periods of characters just not showing up.

I agree, Reverse Mountain until the timeskip was pretty much perfect. I mean, Skypiea is a relatively weak arc by comparison, and Impel Down + Marineford, while awesome, left us without the crew longer than I would have liked, but at least it still felt like One Piece to me. It felt like the grand adventure it was meant to be with a great personal arc for Luffy as the payoff as he was the last to get one.

Nowadays the Point A to Point B plot just doesn't have that sense of wonder or adventure anymore. The crew is always just chasing someone or something and it's boring the way Oda goes about writing it.

For me, nothing post TS has come close to touching the zenith of One Piece when the SHP were on their adventures and everyone got enough screen time. Their endeavours on the way and in Alabasta, the epic twists and fights in Water 7, and the pure hilarity and action sequences of Thriller Bark just cannot be touched.

I'm still waiting for my SHP VS Oars equivalent. Still waiting for something as hilarious as Usopp getting his ass handed to him by Kung-fu Dugongs or a genuinely gut-wrenching moment like the death of Merry. I just want the family back, man.

The crew is mostly back together now, and the current arc has a pleasant return to form in terms of pacing THANK GOD, so it's at least enjoyable again. SPOILER:
There might be a personal arc with Sanji coming up, so it's gonna be an interesting couple of chapters, unless you hate furries of course,

Frog-fu

Banned
The crew is mostly back together now, and the current arc has a pleasant return to form in terms of pacing THANK GOD, so it's at least enjoyable again. SPOILER:
There might be a personal arc with Sanji coming up, so it's gonna be an interesting couple of chapters, unless you hate furries of course,

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic, but for now I'm not really all that hyped for it. I think I'll enjoy it more when I catch up on the anime.

Maedhros

The new One Piece arc have, for now, an excellent pacing.

Seriously, since Marineford I can't really say I love One Piece the way I did in the past. For the anime, since Saobondy (where the quality dropped to SHIT).

There are many mangas better than it now, though. Even so, for the same reasons I didn't drop Naruto and Bleach, I won't drop One Piece at this point.

Daingurse

The new One Piece arc have, for now, an excellent pacing.

Seriously, since Marineford I can't really say I love One Piece the way I did in the past. For the anime, since Saobondy (where the quality dropped to SHIT).

There are many mangas better than it now, though. Even so, for the same reasons I didn't drop Naruto and Bleach, I won't drop One Piece at this point.

Hmmm interesting. I need to catch up at some point, dropped it during the Dressrosa Arc to let chapters stack. Only manga I follow week to week currently is Toriko lol.

I gave up on the show/manga a long time ago. And so far it's been a good decision. The story will never end because the author will die before he completes it, in fact most of us will die before the series is completed.

I gave up on the show/manga a long time ago. And so far it's been a good decision. The story will never end because the author will die before he completes it, in fact most of us will die before the series is completed.

Anime has a decent wrap up even though it's open ended.

Looking at that chart... just imagine how much story we could have had if he had Kishimoto's work ethic... or even Mashima's.

People say the Election Arc was a good stopping point for the anime, but as someone up to date on the manga, the Election Arc feels more like a prologue to the current arc than anything else, especially in setting up the Ging VS Pariston VS Zodiacs conflict. Considering there's tons of hanging threads such as Gyro and Chrollo, I would say the event that ends the anime was pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom