• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Patricia, strongest east pacific hurricane, set to make landfall in Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
200 MPH sustained winds, gusts to 245 MPH.

That's F4 Tornado strength - only it's a tornado the size of Alabama.

Hopefully it drops down to a Cat 3 as it gets closer to shallow water/land.

Blizzard

Banned
I just caught up in the thread and didn't see this posted yet, from the International Space Station: https://twitter.com/StationCDRKelly/status/657618739492474880/

csbuwibuwaeg0fftusrx.jpg

I lived though Hurricane Charley and I remember how damaged our street was the day after it hit. And I think that night while I cuddled with my family and watched the wind gusts only hit 125 MPH. 200 is fucking insane. I honestly hope everyone stays safe, I'm going to spend tonight watching live streams like crazy.

Probably stupid question here, but does an extremely low Barometric pressure have any ill effects on humans? The data keeps saying 870 in the eye of the storm. Would that cause headaches or anything in people?

Their plane fell 660 meters (almost half a mile if you're in the U.S.) in only 30 seconds, presumably because of pressure or rough weather. Imagine when you're flying on a normal plane and there is a sudden drop, and how scary that feels.

Wasn't sure if it was a measurement in meters or barometric pressure. Was extremely confused, thanks.

Konka

Banned
200 MPH sustained winds, gusts to 245 MPH.

That's F4 Tornado strength - only it's a tornado the size of Alabama.

Hopefully it drops down to a Cat 3 as it gets closer to shallow water/land.

Eh, it's not entirely comparable. What makes tornadoes so destructive is that the cyclonic winds are focused in a smaller area. Your house will do better in a hurricane with 100mph wind speeds than taking a direct hit from a tornado with 100mph wind speeds.

pulsemyne

Yes. Not sure why.

They do a number of passes to try and gauge the wind in all quadrants of the storm. They may also be trying to deduce if it has a double or even triple eyewall. Sometimes they also do it if they have an equipment failure and wait around to correct it for another pass.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I lived though Hurricane Charley and I remember how damaged our street was the day after it hit. And I think that night while I cuddled with my family and watched the wind gusts only hit 125 MPH. 200 is fucking insane. I honestly hope everyone stays safe, I'm going to spend tonight watching live streams like crazy.

Probably stupid question here, but does an extremely low Barometric pressure have any ill effects on humans? The data keeps saying 870 in the eye of the storm. Would that cause headaches or anything in people?

Wait what? Where were you at? Feel free to PM me if you want to keep your location private. I've yet to meet someone here from the direct area.

pulsemyne

Their plane fell 660 meters (almost half a mile if you're in the U.S.) in only 30 seconds, presumably because of pressure or rough weather. Imagine when you're flying on a normal plane and there is a sudden drop, and how scary that feels.

That could be why they are going around in circles. Hurricane hunter pilots and crew are a hardy bunch but, on rare occasions, even they get scared. They maybe wondering if it's worth risking another pass especially if they have to god through a bad quadrant.

Wait what? Where were you at? Feel free to PM me if you want to keep your location private. I've yet to meet someone here from the direct area.

It's cool. It's not secret info. I used to live in central Florida near Kissimmee. I live in the Midwest now, so I don't experience hurricanes anymore. Just blizzards. But in my lifetime I lived through 4 pretty bad ones.

SJRB

Gold Member
This is nightmare fuel, holy shit those youtube videos are crazy.

Two years ago we had a storm here [nowhere even near a hurricane] and my apartment windows blew out [or rather, it blew in], it was so surreal and frightning that I'm pretty scared of storms ever since.

Godspeed to everyone in Mexico, stay safe.

AlexBasch

Thing is so huge that my state (Nuevo León) is in high alert because there's a big risk of heavy rain and wind coming into here.

Sure, it sounds like protocolary safety measures, but people around here seem very worried about that stuff. We've had our encounters with bad hurricanes (Gilberto and Alex), and the latter still haunts the memories of people who lost everything back then.

Shit, I can imagine the pilot face after that drop.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
It's cool. It's not secret info. I used to live in central Florida near Kissimmee. I live in the Midwest now, so I don't experience hurricanes anymore. Just blizzards. But in my lifetime I lived through 4 pretty bad ones.

Oh, not Charlotte County.
I'll continue to be the lone gaffer from the area.

God I hope Mexicans are able to evacuate the area. Cat 5 is fucking nuts.

The wind speeds are insane. I live in FL and I've been in a Cat 2-3 hurricane and those 100 mph winds are insane. I can't imagine what double that could be like.

I wouldn't wish this storm on anyone but a small part of me wishes it would hit the U.S. instead only because the storm of the century may be the only thing that can convince republicans that climate change is motherfucking real! And convincing the majority party of the world's superpower is important to all of us!

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I wouldn't wish this storm on anyone but a small part of me wishes it would hit the U.S. instead only because the storm of the century may be the only thing that can convince republicans that climate change is motherfucking real! And convincing the majority party of the world's superpower is important to all of us!

This is so dumb.

AlexBasch

No mames wey. :|

rhandino

Banned
Can we please NOT.

No that simply would not happen. Those kinds of Republicans can rationalize anything. They'll chalk it up as an anomaly unrelated to climate change. To them, its also just coincidence that every year we experience the warmest global temperatures on record.

One big hurricane devastating the US wouldn't change their views I guarantee you

Think a bit more critically

This is really bad logic.

NateDrake

No that simply would not happen. Those kinds of Republicans can rationalize anything. They'll chalk it up as an anomaly unrelated to climate change. To them, its alwo just coincidence that every year we experience the warmest global temperatures on record.

How can the world be getting warm when it is snowing?!?!

This is so dumb.
I'm sorry. I'm stressed because I have family in Guadalajara. Climate change is fucking real and is causing this never before seen hurricane and it pisses me off to hear half of the politicians in the U.S. believe it's all a lie invented by scientists.

jmdajr

Thing is so huge that my state (Nuevo León) is in high alert because there's a big risk of heavy rain and wind coming into here.

Sure, it sounds like protocolary safety measures, but people around here seem very worried about that stuff. We've had our encounters with bad hurricanes (Gilberto and Alex), and the latter still haunts the memories of people who lost everything back then.

Shit, I can imagine the pilot face after that drop.

Nuevo León?

All the way up there!

:(

No that simply would not happen. Those kinds of Republicans can rationalize anything. They'll chalk it up as an anomaly unrelated to climate change. To them, its also just coincidence that every year we experience the warmest global temperatures on record.

One big hurricane devastating the US wouldn't change their views I guarantee you
You're probably and depressingly right. Crap.

I'm sorry guys. I'm very stressed.

jmdajr

Wouldn't do shit.

Only thing that would work is Oil companies admitting they fucked up.

Is this perhaps the first time there's been discussion on whether it was too too dangerous to try another pass through a storm? Even by hurricane hunter standards? That would be bonkers. Well, I'm at least assuming that's the discussion. If they had transmission failures they'd take more data as they tried to fix it and this has happened before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom