• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Patricia, strongest east pacific hurricane, set to make landfall in Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
It did look like it was going to weaken a little but now the cloud tops are cooling again which is the opposite to what you'd expect to see in a weakening storm. It also turned a little more to the north now.

rgVIy4N.gif

pulsemyne

It's only the fifth storm to go below 880mb on record. It's that strong. Also it is by an absolute mile the strongest pacific hurricane ever. Ir's shocking just how much it beat the previous strongest storm (that ONLY 902mb).

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
terminal velocity has been met? This thing is going to absolutely level everything in its path. I honestly can't think of any way to survive being in its path. This is tormenta del Diablo.

If I'm understanding this right, this is not only the strongest hurricane on Earth, its also the strongest POSSIBLE hurricane that can be formed on Earth.

Here is where I read about it:

For now, about 200 mph is the highest that hurricane winds can theoretically get -- and, besides Hurricane Patricia, only three land-falling storms have come close in the past century, Mark DeMaria, a research meteorologist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in Ft. Collins, Colo., told DNews in an August 2012 interview. With warming, according to some models, the upper boundary could reach 220 mph.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/weather-extreme-events/is-a-category-6-possible-120828.htm

Edit: Oh, and that's apparently referring to ground level wind speeds.

Oh man this could be really bad... good luck Mexico. I used to travel near where the hurricane is set to hit. Such a beautiful place with wonderful people and world-class surf. Most buildings did not seem very sturdy however — the hotel I used to stay at was made of wooden huts, for example. I hope all the locals will be OK.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Where is the next stop after?

Stay safe Mexico GAF

The mountains of Mexico wreak havoc on the strength and organization of storms. It will quickly fall apart, however that does little for the coastal areas.

-Eddman-

A co-worker is in Vallarta right now. She says most buildings and hotels were evacuated last night and the Puerto Vallarta-Guadalajara highway is now toll free for people to leave town. The Guadalajara soccer derby between Chivas and Atlas is scheduled for tomorrow, but a cancellation is very likely right now.

Mr_Fern

Neo Member
I live very noth in the country (Monterrey) but i will prepare anyways in case of flooding, our city is not prepare for a lot of rain.

For those who live in the near area please be safe, go buy water, candles, batteries and put in a safe place all your most important documents, do not underestimate the huracan.

Good luck everybody.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The mountains of Mexico wreak havoc on the strength and organization of storms. It will quickly fall apart, however that does little for the coastal areas.

It's going to add a shitload of moisture to parts of Texas (that are already getting hit by a lot of rainfall). Not hurricane strength obviously, but still a ton of rain.

Temperatures inside the storm are around 90 degrees, and possible second eyewall is forming. This storm is strengthening, and that is scary!

It's going to add a shitload of moisture to parts of Texas (that are already getting hit by a lot of rainfall). Not hurricane strength obviously, but still a ton of rain.

Texas is going to get rain like South Carolina from a couple of weeks ago. The rain is the least of Mexico's worries. That wind is going to blow cities off the map I'm afraid :(

Wilsongt

This thing is scary, and it's so sad to think with the way the climate is changing that storms like this will become more and more common... =/ The saving grace of Mexico right now is that it'll pass over mountains and that will take out a lot of energy.

Nephtis

Buena suerte a todos los que seran afectados por este huracán. Espero que encuentren refugio y que todos esten a salvo. Cuidense, y que Dios los bendiga.

Suikoguy

Yeah, I hope the rain is not as bad as South Carolina got. I don't think it will be.

Flandy

So is it the strongest hurricane ever recorded? I keep seeing mixed reports of only in the pacific or western hemisphere

So is it the strongest hurricane ever recorded? I keep seeing mixed reports of only in the pacific or western hemisphere

• Strongest reliably recorded sustained windspeed for any tropical cyclone ever.
  • Most intense in terms of central pressure in the western hemisphere.

Recon has been circling for a while instead of going in to make another pass. Hopefully instruments haven't been damaged or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom