• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyper Scape (Ubisoft BR game) is being shown on Twitch by streamers

-Arcadia-

Banned
That looks surprisingly fun, given the comments here.

Some cool things:

-Focusing on massively vertical roof to roof and jumping gameplay
-Having the playfield be a giant city
-The city disintegrates in order to close the arena in tighter, which is the coolest thing I've seen since the brief water wall in Fortnite
-Seeming ability to block via slamming a giant wall down, but without going crazy with it like Fort
-A good art style

I'd give it a try. It seems like the freshest new contender to hit since Apex, and a kind of post-Fortnite FPS maybe geared a little to that audience.

Life

I saw some gameplay on Twitch. Wasn't really impressed. Skills are clearly fun but broken. Instant jump a mile in the air above your opponent and then snipe them? And then use your armor which makes you invincible for a period of time.......and the cooldown time is ridiculously short for skills.

I'd still like to try it but it just seems too crazy for it to be seriously competitive.

Droxcy

Here’s some thoughts from playing a few matches

• Game runs super smooth - If comparing to Apex (similar art style)

• Weapons have an upgrade system (Fusion) to them and works great (Weapons have 4 upgrade levels which you level up by picking the same weapon up multiple times)

• Time to Kill seems a little slow IMO could make weapons do more damage

• Map and circle work differently than other BRs and movement seems solid so far lots of
vertically

• You have a little hub you spawn into and invite your squad into pretty cool also the pre match start area is kind of small but you’re free to practice movement only no weapons

Will update more as I play

Games looks pretty cool. went to download it and saw all the hoops you currently have to jump through - fuck all that

looking forward to trying it out when you can just login and download it

This looks cool as hell. The slide gave me a Titanfall vibe.

The focus that makes it non generic is clearly the vertical gameplay aspect. I’m also getting Shadowrun (Fps) Vibes!

LegendOfKage LegendOfKage lawbreakers was such an awesome game, it didn’t deserve to be ignored :*(

I played the beta of Lawbrakers. I enjoyed the game enough, but I felt from the start it should have been free to play. The massive success of Apex would later be an indication that I was probably right.

That game made one of the same mistakes that this game is making, though. The characters don't seem very interesting. It was especially bad for Lawbreakers being a hero shooter, but it's not good here either. Maybe they're trying to save all the best outfits for DLC, but the characters don't even seem that different looking from each other. Some of the voice work does a good job adding character, but the designs themselves are nowhere near something like Overwatch. Hyper Scape can still make a lot of improvement in that area, though.

I also think some of the "generic" look comments also come down to seeing the title at launch. Apex had more detailed environments when it was released, but there's no denying that game became even better looking since then. If Hyper Scape finds some success, I can see some of the more barren and more repetitive areas of the map changing over time.

The gameplay couldn't be further from generic, though, at least when it comes to the battle royale genre. And good point about Shadowrun, btw.

Last edited:

Paasei

Shitty art style. Turned it off right away after seeing a match on Twitch. Can't stand cartoon and sci-fi in a mix, it just isn't cool.
The characters look really stupid, too.

Last edited:

Naru

About the Twitch drops thing, is it enough to have the video in the background for it to register as me viewing?

So i watched more streams yesterday, tried to give it a chance.

Positives:
  1. The art style grew on me
  2. I like how the zone disintegrates as its coming in
  3. abilities are nice
  4. free to play
  5. crown ending was different

Negatives:
  1. TTK was way too long at times, not clear how some players take multiple clips to kill then some people go down like flies
  2. world does feel empty especially inside buildings
  3. a lot of really good competition, like warzone, fortnite and Apex

Thats all i really got from someone else playing. I still dont think id play it much just cause theres only so many BR games i can play at once. But i wish them good luck.

Last edited:

Vaelka

The characters seriously look like they got all of their clothes from a random sports shop and the helmet on one of the main guys looks like it's ripped straight out of Destiny rofl.
It really looks like the character designers have no imagination.

Edit: Also I am not usually like this.
But why is the only white male character in the background being all timid and looking down?

It looks like he's all like '' sorry I am white and male, please forgive me '' xD!

But yeah that guy with the helmet really takes the '' most generic character ever '' award of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched the gameplay overview trailer.

I like the premise of it being a simulation, which gives them an excuse for trying some less grounded ideas out.

The aesthetics are nice and make me think of a hodge podge of Syndicate and Deus Ex Human Revolution (mostly because of the triangles) but the artstyle isn't very endearing at the moment.

l think Ubisoft decided to emphasize visual clarity as well as being considerate about storage space; the visual assets are relatively clean (if a bit dull) and don't look to take up very much space.

Considering Ubisoft's track record with For Honor and R6 Siege (bad launch, with long-lasting continuous support) , I think Hyper Scape is probably here to stay for quite some time, which is good.

Would be funny if Fortnite suddenly introduced a mode where everyone has unlimited crash pads to emulate Hyper Scape's high flying shooty hijinks.

Oh and their official site has a relatively apt typo of the game's title:
4rC9uM4.jpg

Flintty

I watched some streams. It’s not for me. It’s hard enough to for me to shoot shit as it is without them jumping up all over the place like a toddler on blue M&M’s.

Apex still the king of BR for me.

Life

I watched some streams. It’s not for me. It’s hard enough to for me to shoot shit as it is without them jumping up all over the place like a toddler on blue M&M’s.

Apex still the king of BR for me.

YEah everyone's talking about the "verticality" as if it's a good thing. Map is full of tall buildings and runaway opportunities. Battles don't seem tense or in-your-face, but a lot of running away and reviving (not fun to watch that at all) .Auto-heal works in Warzone cos even with shields, it's quite easy to kill someone. In this game, it makes no sense to have auto-heal cos it's so easy to super jump and fuck off somewhere. Apex has the same problem with shileds and how easy it is to recharge in safe environments, making Pro competitinns absurdly camp-based. Anyway game just feels too safe overall, for a BR that's not a good thing.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Played some of this earlier and not sure I like yet another "healthbar shooter" . While the general concept and presentation has been executed well overall, I'm not feeling the amount of ability spam and jumping around. And that's coming from a Quake 3/Quake Champions/Black Ops 3/Titanfall player. The shooting feels great but having to track targets that go 2000mph with VFX and abilities exploding every 2 secs is a bit much. The ridiculous TTK along with the relatively small hitbox sizes only compound this issue.

Will give a go some time later but I reckon this'll be more fun for me to watch rather than play.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:
Top Bottom