• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors - N3DS or Wii U?

With Zelda hype starting to build, I've been eyeing picking up one of the versions of Hyrule Warriors. Which is considered the best version to jump in with? I know about the performance issues on an OG 3DS, but I've got a New one, so I should be good there, but do people still prefer the Wii U version?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The Wii U version is simply the better game. Only bother with the 3DS one if you feel being able to play it anywhere is beneficial.

Syril

Legends has more content both built in and in total and the ability to switch characters mid battle and command the ones you're not controlling, but only the original version has 2-player.

On the new 3DS, though the graphics are obviously downgraded, it actually has a more consistent framerate than the Wii U game, and it's very good at keeping the enemy count up where it needs to be.

nubbe

The Wii u version is definetly the best

But I find the N3DS version quite acceptable.
You can play on the go and switch hero on the battlefield instantly.

So if you want to play on the go, the N3DS version is quite nice.

The lack of wireless coop on 3DS is the biggest shame IMO. I can overlook the technical tradeoffs for the benefit of portability, but that one really stung.

Richie

Go Wii U if you want graphics, go New 3DS if you want more features, much more balanced Adventure Maps (as well as several exclusive ones), portability and additional story content. I loved the hell out of my time with the Wii U version (200+ hours) but if I had known what was ahead I'd have held up.

Sakujou

Banned
The lack of wireless coop on 3DS is the biggest shame IMO. I can overlook the technical tradeoffs for the benefit of portability, but that one really stung.

dont forget that the O3ds version is even worse than the n3ds version.

its koei's fault, right?

fernoca

New3DS has downgraded visuals, but everything on a single cart/download and new content as DLC.

Wii U has better visuals but the additional content as DLC and no new DLC from the 3DS version outside characters.

Wii U version is a better experience, but depending on how cheap you can find it, then add $20-$40 for the rest of the DLC if you want more stuff.

The core game still has a good amount of content. This is one of the few games were DLC is too much content. XD

Whatever you do, pick one and stick with it. I bought both and the lack of cross-play annoyed the hell out of me.

I may just hack the 3DS save at some point, but the overwhelming amount of content actually turned me off from the game. It felt like perpetual catchup. I played and enjoyed the Wii U version's story mode, though - but that's about it.

N3DS version has tons of more content but the Wii U version has much better presentation to the point where it feels like a big downgrade on the portable side. It also still has tons of content itself..

New 3DS has the best framerate (near locked 30fps) but fps drops on the Wii U version didn't bother me that much. I think the atmosphere of the Wii U version is way cooler since you can see a massive number of enemies on screen at the same time.

3ds has the most content though. If you're gonna play at home I'd suggest Wii U anyway, it's got 100s of hours of gameplay even in the Wii U version (adventure maps + dlc maps) so you won't exhaust that before Zelda drops anyway.

I've played so damn much of it on the N3DS. It's my first Warriors game, and I'm so in for Fire Emblem Warriors now.

I'm sure the Wii U version is superior, but man, the N3DS one is fun. Toon Link and Tetra look the best of the player characters due to their art style, but nothing's graphically objectionable. I'm no PC-master-race-touting frame rate fiend, but I appreciate a game that runs, and had no objections.

BiggNife

If you don't mind the fact that it is undeniably ugly, I really liked the N3DS version and I think that HW is a game that works really really well in a portable format. And at the very least the framerate is rock-solid.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
From a content perspective, the n3DS version is clearly the definitive version. So, if you want to play this game for the next 2-6 months, get that one. I think the n3DS version runs and looks fine for a 3DS Warriors game, and it will certainly give you the most bang for your buck.

If you're okay with a smaller game size (but still probably upwards of 50+ hours, if not 100+, and way more with the DLC), then the Wii U version obviously looks better.

I have both, and even on the 3DS version that I played more, I never 100%ed the content that the original Wii U disc shipped with.

I prefer it on New 3DS, it's a great portable game and I quite like the visual style. Wii U is prettier but they're both good versions.

If you have a New 3DS, the 3DS version is great. Swapping characters on the fly, all DLC integrated into the game's adventure mode properly instead of just being dumped on you, and the fairy system is fun to play with.

But if you're using a normal 3DS or a 2DS, the game runs so poorly I can't recommend it. It's not just framerate, but actual reduced enemy numbers, which causes issues with some particular adventure mode quests.

So if you've got a New 3DS or New 3DS XL, get it on that. If you don't, get it on Wii U. The 3DS version is the better game, but only if it runs well.

nubbe

Kawaii overload

WVW69kD4qxg-DUV8gx

Camjo-Z

Don't listen to these people saying Wii U. Unless you absolutely have to have the best graphics the N3DS version is objectively superior. Bonus Linkle Legends Mode missions, 4 huge DLC Adventure Mode maps, and the numerous QOL improvements (various faster attack animations, fairy attacks/abilities, CHARACTER SWITCHING) make it by far the better version.

Jucksalbe

Banned
As long as you're playing on a n3DS, the 3DS version is by far the better version (except for multiplayer, obviously). More content, better balancing and many new features that make the game more enjoyable (like being able to switch characters in a level).

TentPole

Don't listen to these people saying Wii U. Unless you absolutely have to have the best graphics the N3DS version is objectively superior. Bonus Linkle Legends Mode missions, 4 huge DLC Adventure Mode maps, and the numerous QOL improvements (various faster attack animations, fairy attacks/abilities, CHARACTER SWITCHING) make it by far the better version.

Agree 100%

Opa-Pa

Depends of how much you value content and especially portability. If you want the version with the most content then obviously Legends on n3DS. If you like to play on handhelds the most, then same. Getting to play as more than one character is a game changer too.

If those don't matter to you then juat get it on Wii U. Local co-op is awesome there.

Just know that they're both great versions of a fantastic game. Also oddly enough, the n3DS version actually has more stable framerate... At the expense of 20fps-ish mob animations, of course.

The thread is about as divisive as I expected given my own research. Leaning towards the 3DS for the content, but it's hard to give up the graphics of the Wii U version.

Ashilyn

The only real reason to get the 3DS version is if:

• You really want to play the Wind Waker epilogue
  • You really want to play the Linkle story
  • You really want to play the Wind Waker Adventure Maps (or any of the adventure maps from the second season pass)

The Wind Waker and Linkle stories are good, but not worth the significant downgrade in presentation. I'm not usually a guy who harps on or cares about graphics, but the game seriously loses something when compared to the Wii U version.

The adventure maps... losing those can hurt, if you're into them. I'm STILL playing that game largely because the adventure maps, and not having the WW, Link's Awakening, or ALBW adventure maps on Wii U hurts. That said, there's already tons of content in the Wii U version, particularly with all the DLC, so not having those three maps may not matter to you.

The only other real downside of the Wii U version is that to get all the content you can, you need to buy two season passes and the Legends pass that gets you all the characters from the 3DS version + Gannondorf's trident weapon. That's a noticeable cost sink, considering everything from the first season pass and the Legends pack is included in the 3DS version (buying the 3DS version also gets you a code for the Legends pack for free in the Wii U version).

The base game comes packed with content as is on the Wii U though, and the two season passes + Legends pack are more than worth it. If that's not a huge detriment to you, I'd stick to the Wii U version. Everything beyond the points mentioned above is largely inconsequential - character switching can be nice but isn't essential (and honestly I almost never used it), and the Fairy stuff is pretty much completely worthless.

nubbe

people that shit on the N3DS version haven't played it
I'm sure of it

wrowa

I prefer the New 3DS version, the gameplay additions are simply worth it. Being able to switch characters during a mission makes the gameplay so much more interesting.

It's not looking quite as nice as the Wii U version, but still pretty nice in its own right. Performance is fine as well.

I'm going to buck trend and say N3DS. The additions are amazing.

Not to say I don't wish EVERYTHING just came over to Wii U, because I do wish that. But as it stands, the N3DS version is great and has a ton more content.

I was interested in the N3DS version so I looked up some gameplay, the horrible enemy pop in and the reduced enemy count made me pass on it. Wii U version was fun.

NeonZ

The adventure maps... losing those can hurt, if you're into them. I'm STILL playing that game largely because the adventure maps, and not having the WW, Link's Awakening, or ALBW adventure maps on Wii U hurts. That said, there's already tons of content in the Wii U version, particularly with all the DLC, so not having those three maps may not matter to you.

The 3ds version also fixes the Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask maps (which were DLC in the original Wii U version) so that you don't need to grind characters to level 100-130 to finish them completely anymore. That's a big plus too to most players.

That said, there's always the worse graphics (although more stable framerate if you have a N3DS) and smaller enemy count.

Opa-Pa

Honestly I own both, season pass for each and all haha. It's way too good. I prefer the n3DS version but being able to play co-op is nice too.

MrPanic

Yeah, the N3ds version is 100% the better version to play, the changes straight up make it a more fun game to play. The only reason to get the WiiU one is if the graphics are such a huge deal for you. Bought the double season pass to get the final characters on both versions of the game, but I honestly barely played the WiiU version after getting the superior N3ds version.

Ashilyn

Not to say I don't wish EVERYTHING just came over to Wii U, because I do wish that. But as it stands, the N3DS version is great and has a ton more content.

I'm still mad it didn't. It didn't make much sense to port over the characters but not the adventure maps or story content, at least not to me. People were already paying for the extra content unless they already bought Legends, I really don't think it would've hurt sales that much to have eventually made that content available on the Wii U too.

I was really hoping they'd announce a Switch port with everything included, but it seems that's not going to be a thing sadly :\

Pyrokai

I've been debating which one to get as well. I wanted to get this to hold me over until BotW but man....This decision is freaking killer. I want the features of n3DS but I think the Wii U version just looks so much better....

Get it on Wii U. If your lucky you may be able to 100% it by the time Fire Emblem Warriors comes out. Try to find a deal on it and get the DLC characters.

Yah I wish everything was in the Wii U version, but the 3DS version isn't big enough of a "downgrade" to ignore all the great new content.

Berordn

Yah I wish everything was in the Wii U version, but the 3DS version isn't big enough of a "downgrade" to ignore all the great new content.

Honestly some of the downgrades I appreciate, like them removing the boss finishers. Just ended up being annoying in the Wii U version after too long.

AdamMPSP

I own both, but I played like 10x more of the 3DS version, just because it's much more of a pick up and play a level in between other things game. Enjoyed it a lot more on mobile.

Top Bottom