• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’m tired of everyone being “offended” Xbox live rant

zenspider

Not gunna lie: I report names all the time on Nintendo Online, but they're usually straight racist or hateful to gay people.

I'd only report something like 'My Nut' if you also played as a Mii in Smash Ultimate.

gt86

They don't even let you pick your new tag unless you give them more money??
It wouldn’t let me, I snagged My nut years ago when they flushed the old live names that hadn’t been used.

Last edited:

Shifty

They screwed you OP, commiserations.

FeintColt
steve-rogers-i-understood-that-reference.jpg

Guess OP could always try My Nutt, My Nuttt, or My Nutttt, among various others :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

zeorhymer

That's pretty BS. MS forcibly changed your gamer tag and yet you have to pay to change it to something else.

oagboghi2

Not gunna lie: I report names all the time on Nintendo Online, but they're usually straight racist or hateful to gay people.

I'd only report something like 'My Nut' if you also played as a Mii in Smash Ultimate.
Why? Why does it bother you what a complete stranger decides to call themselves on their switch account?

Why not mind your own damn business.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You could file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission about their business practices. I would say the $10 charge is out of line. The people who probably make those bans probably work minimum wage at a data center somewhere. Which has no real ties to corporate Xbox at all.

You could be a fan of Planters peanuts, PayDays, Snickers, or just love peanut butter. I'd say the person who reported you are way too oversensitive. Which is exactly why I stopped subscribing to Xbox Live for multiplayer games.

On Xbox 360 I had a guy send me a message with him cocking a firearm in the background. Honestly, gaming is a much better experience if you don't socialize with other players. That's at least how I feel about it all.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
You're not alone in people being overly offended regarding a username. There was a thread on ResetEra asking people how to report names on the Switch. The OP said he was gravely offended by this person's name. When asked what it was, he revealed that it was HughJayNus...

Snitches get stitches and no bitches, and in the case of ResetEra, the last part has never been more true :p

You're not alone in people being overly offended regarding a username. There was a thread on ResetEra asking people how to report names on the Switch. The OP said he was gravely offended by this person's name. When asked what it was, he revealed that it was HughJayNus...

Snitches get stitches and no bitches, and in the case of ResetEra, the last part has never been more true :p

It's incredible how these people never have anything better to do. Are they all just fucking NEETs or something? Where do they get the time for this horseshit otherwise?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It's incredible how these people never have anything better to do. Are they all just fucking NEETs or something? Where do they get the time for this horseshit otherwise?
To be fair, most people were against the OP reporting the person. Many thought the name was just funny.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I have had the gamer tag My nut for years. All of a sudden some douche bag that didn’t like my firestorm or apex playing style reported my gamer tag as offensive last night. WTF is offensive about My nut? What makes it worse is MS reset my gamer tag to some fluffy calf BS and then charged me $10 to change it. I tried to go to the enforcement website to file an appeal and I got denied. So I have spent countless $$$$$$ on games tied to this account by now I have to change everything because someone got butt hurt.

And people want a streaming-only future and want physical media to die. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

This is your future people. The second you give a mega-corporation all of your rights, they have the right to do stupid stuff like this.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
And people want a streaming-only future and want physical media to die. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

This is your future people. The second you give a mega-corporation all of your rights, they have the right to do stupid stuff like this.
Nailed it.

I've been comms banned from Xbox live for like 5 times now.... Seems like the enforcement team doesn't like it when you defend yourself! Dude called me a "P*ssy", and all I said was "So is your dad for raising one" and a couple mins later... Ban hammer for a whole month.

Fox Mulder

MS has always been a bit mod hammer heavy. Didn't know they charged you to change your name to some randomly generated trash after a complaint.

They go after gamertags and bio info that users were allowed to enter. You reputation level can get fucked with a few complaints from retards reporting you for beating them as cheating or voice chat abuse. They've even banned people in Forza for making dumb harmless "free candy" van liveries.

Last edited:

zenspider

Why? Why does it bother you what a complete stranger decides to call themselves on their switch account?

Why not mind your own damn business.

It bothers me because when you connect to my system to play a game, we're sharing a play space. Your're on my team, or your my opponent. Your name is displayed is in my home. It's disrespectful to be doing that kind of shit.

Second, Nintendo is really open as far naming (small blocklist and you can change your online nickname anytime without limits) and messaging (i.e. MiiVerse, Inkopolis etc.) goes and I think community self-regulating is important to mainting that level of freedom.

I'll make the full case in an analogy. If I overheard people saying "fag" or "nigger" in a familar conversation, I wouldn't interject and tell them what they can and can't say or think. If it's not disruptive, I agree; it's none of my damn business.

But if we were in a shared space together - say a pick up basketball game or a bar trivia night - trust and believe I'm gonna tell them to knock that shit off if they want to play.

Now I don't have those analagous tools to talk on NSO, So, I reported and blocked 'IKillFags' (real example) for an 'Inappropriate Nickname', as I've tagged explicitly sexual messages in Inkopolis.

Maybe it has to do with being a Nintendo platform too. I've never reported anyone on PSN for anything other than blatant cheating or griefing, and the games where people are shitty on voicechat, I can say "hey, knock it off" and it's usually sorted. Not only are those avenues not there on NSO, but I can't help but imagine much younger people with much different expectations going into Splatoon than say a 10 year old playing Call Of Duty. Again, you might be more compelled to check someone saying some raunchy shit you'd overhear at a nightclub if they were saying it in a Chuck E. Cheese.

Hope that explains how and why it bothers me, and why I think it's my business.

Last edited:
Top Bottom