• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I always wonder how titles like TMNT, Power Rangers, Pokemon, etc. "boomed".

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Fex

KamenSenshi said:
Power Rangers likely fed off some of the TMNT popularity, actually I seem to recall a few magazines like TV Guide comparing the two. How could PR fail, it had the action of TMNT but with live people + robots and dinosaurs for its theme, right around the Jurassic Park dinosaur boom. The stars were aligned for PR. There was one promo a while be for PR first aired that focused on a swamp and ended with a roar so they were really leaning on the JP publicity.

Yeah someone told me a long time ago that TMNT killed off Transformers popularity and I want to say that Power Rangers killed off TMNT popularity but I don't think it did.

I think TMNT overdoing bad things (The musical tour, not good 3rd movie, over-merchandising)

Overexposure is the word I think.

But TMNT did come back in their live action show NEXT MUTATION

which had higher ratings than PR: In Space, but was cancelled cause they didn't want to cancel power rangers.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Pokemon had the game popularity to ride on.

TMNT were Ninja Turtles. Plus they had awesome figurines.

G-Fex

BY2K said:
Yes.

Where the hell is April?

april-o-neal-get-s-slap-o.gif

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
G-Fex said:
Yeah someone told me a long time ago that TMNT killed off Transformers popularity and I want to say that Power Rangers killed off TMNT popularity but I don't think it did.

I think TMNT overdoing bad things (The musical tour, not good 3rd movie, over-merchandising)

Overexposure is the word I think.

But TMNT did come back in their live action show NEXT MUTATION

which had higher ratings than PR: In Space, but was cancelled cause they didn't want to cancel power rangers.
TMNT had to die out eventually. It was red hot from 87 to 91 or so.. not a bad run for a mega-phenomenon, and then the actual shows, comics, toys and games still continued in a more subdued form for a few years.

G-Fex

revolverjgw said:
What the hell, I never even heard of this, I'm gonna check this ou...

tnm-venus.jpg

wat

they committed rule 63 on the ninja turtles.

Ookami-kun said:
Next Mutation had higher ratings than fucking PR In Space?!

WTF children of America!

I guess they got tired of morphing and stuff. They liked stupid storylines and ridiculous turtle masks.

I don't understand that show in a way, they made it live action but it was goofy if not goofier than PR and yet they made the turtles like EXTREEEEEEEEEME with way more muscle mass and like torn up masks and stuff.

way the turtles look reminds me of your avatar Ookami

I didn't see Barbra Walters interviewing Spongebob Squarepants

barbara-and-the-ninja-turtles-o.gif

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
They were buffer in TMNT 2003. Also I <3 Leatherhead there. Such a cute, big, woobie gator :3

Who cares about Walters! :D

G-Fex

Ookami-kun said:
They were buffer in TMNT 2003. Also I <3 Leatherhead there. Such a cute, big, woobie gator :3

err....I've been out creeped.

DonMigs85 said:
Why would a turtle have mammalian breasts

cause you know..for kids!

Pokemon was damn original. I first saw them back in 1998 in a Club Nintendo (Mexico) poster with the 150 critters. I looked at the poster for hours that day trying to imagine all the Pokemon battling free-for-all and I didn't even know that the games and cards existed. Staring at those 150 unique creatures was like a dream come true because I always liked that kind of sets with unique units (i had several dinosaurs, several Hot Wheels, the Monster In My Pocket series, etc).

Pokemon, Digimon, Yu Gi Oh. All of that stuff with dozens and dozens of unique characters, powers and elements is of my liking.

Also, first post, please welcome the n00b 8^)

DonMigs85

Ookami-kun said:

I'm surprised you didn't like Ninjara from the Archie comic series. Rrrawr

357px-Ninjara-08.gif

G-Fex

DonMigs85 said:

357px-Ninjara-08.gif

I see this person and I still don't know who she is.

And uh..Ookami has a thing for anthropomorphic males with uh...nipples.

Boss Doggie

G-Fex said:
err....I've been out creeped.

What? If you watch the series you can't help feel sorry for the guy. He's this gentle giant with a berserker mode if the turtles get hurt.

DonMigs85 said:

357px-Ninjara-08.gif

I don't like Archie comics turtles.

Boss Doggie

G-Fex said:
That's ...interesting.

It wouldn't fly on a tv show though lol

Erm they did. They even showed a discretion shot of him being "sawed" alive in his flashbacks.

Go watch 2003 series damn it! It's the best incarnation of the turtles in TV!

Slayven

They should do a show where is an adult Ash and still getting mindfucked by yet another new region. He could battle Jesse's and James's kids.

G-Fex

Ookami-kun said:
Erm they did. They even showed a discretion shot of him being "sawed" alive in his flashbacks.

Go watch 2003 series damn it! It's the best incarnation of the turtles in TV!

I'm talking about the comic DonMigs posted. Not your love for the gator guy.

Oh wow, I loved the Archie Comics TMNT series. I wanted Raph to hook up with Ninjara. For some reason.

Oh god I need to watch the 1990 movie now, it's been about 15 years since I've seen it...

TMNT was always an interesting one to me. The original comics are pretty violent and adult. They were meant to be a parody but the actual content was played straight. I wonder what prompted an executive somewhere to take this violent, adult, black and white indy comic and turn it into a kids TV show.

Boss Doggie

Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
TMNT was always an interesting one to me. The original comics are pretty violent and adult. They were meant to be a parody but the actual content was played straight. I wonder what prompted an executive somewhere to take this violent, adult, black and white indy comic and turn it into a kids TV show.

It was due to the toys actually. The TMNT toys based from the comics came out, then they kiddify them IIRC

I remember the first Pokemon-related thing I ever saw. It was that commercial with the bus driver and a bus full of pokemon, then Pikachu gets on and the driver gets off and squishes the bus while laughing maniacally with all the Pokemon screaming and freaking out and the bus becomes a Game Boy and the announcer says "Gotta Catch 'em All!"

And next thing I remember I liked Pokemon somehow.

Group of teenagers using swords, guns,science , magic and martial arts to destroy monsters was cool. What else could be said?

Yep, childhood was good man.

DonMigs85

She started out as a human, right?
Actually in the 80's series very few of the mutant characters started out as animals.

Anth0ny

I grew up with Mighty Morphin, Dragon Ball and Pokemon.

For Mighty Morphin, I think it was the very first of the crazy shit going on in Japan, localized. There obviously was nothing like it, and as far as I know, nothing really like it to this day. A martial arts show/toy commercial starring American teenagers borrowing Japanese footage. It worked. My friends and I were fucking hooked.

Dragon Ball (and Sailor Moon) was really the beginning of anime in North America. Once again, it was fresh and something we really never saw before. Blood? Death? This is the greatest cartoon ever made!

Finally, Pokemon. Of course, the games came first. Then, the anime and the trading cards. Those three together created an absolute monster. Pokemon was LIFE.

And yes, Yu-Gi-Oh stole the throne there for a while. Gen 3 of Pokemon was awful, so YGO came at the perfect time =P. I did like the card game (even played it competitively for a while), and the anime was fun for the Pegasus/Battle City arcs. then it kinda died off.

What is the secret to success for these series? that's easy! AMAZING THEME SONGS.

Fucking Power Rangers
Fucking Pokemon
Fucking Dragon Ball Z

So good. Kids just don't get this shit anymore.

KamenSenshi

revolverjgw said:
Anybody remember this chick?

Mona-Lisa.jpg
Wow forgot all about this, now I really feel old. I could see Power Rangers stealing the spotlight when they first appeared. The timing was just right. After the first Turtles movie and things started cooling down, PR came and rocked it. I always block out next mutation so I am also in the shocked it could have better ratings than any version of PR camp.

G-Fex

DonMigs85 said:
She started out as a human, right?
Actually in the 80's series very few of the mutant characters started out as animals.

yeah I think it was only one or two episodes she was in.

Nix

Banned
I remember that one fucking Light blue, or orange bandanna wearing TMNT bitch, who just shoehorned herself into the group. God, I hated her, and that entire saga.

That said, Amy Joe was the shit back when I was a kid. The shit.

Always wanted to see her hook up with the silver ranger, because the red/blue guys were just pieces of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom