• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am beyond pissed at Nintendo at this point. Nintendo is anti-consumer.

Blobbers

I'd call this Nintendo being incompetent more than anti-consumer, but I wont hold it against you if you go with the latter or even both. I hope the NX family of consoles has all this shit straightened out.

TheMoon

I agree that Nintendo is anti-consumer. They've even managed to add their own backwards and perverse flavor to already sketchy industry practices like DLC and releasing content barren games.

Name one content barren game of late besides Mario Tennis Ultra Smash or any of their games with "sketchy" DLC.

All you have to do is read a bunch of tutorials and partially disassemble your system - it's easy!

Reading basic on-screen prompts and unscrewing a backplate once is so complicated, I know :)

Neoweee

To keep the story short....

I purchased the New Nintendo 3DS XL (Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition).
I am upgrading from my Nintendo 3DS Phat from launch.
I also want to go pro digital from now on.
I purchased digitally the Super Smash Bros. 3DS game on my 3DS phat.
I used the Save Data Transfer Tool to bring my save data of Smash Bros. 3DS from the cart data to the SD card. Now my Cartridge is empty.
I perform a system transfer tool following all the necessary steps found on Nintendo's Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y88G3tp_f88
Now I cannot access my save data for Super Smash bros. 3DS on the New Nintendo 3DS XL.

I later discovered this after my mistake from the forums.

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/151708

So I cannot create a save backup data for Smash Bros. on my original 3DS Phat and I cannot play my save data of 500 hours + on my New Nintendo 3DS XL.

Nintendo you are so fucking backwards. I cannot support you anymore.
Nor can I go back to my existing 3DS Phat and play my original Smash Bros. 3DS save file.

Fuck you Nintendo.

Wait, that video is real? It's that many steps and requires that many things to transfer over?

All you have to do is read a bunch of tutorials and partially disassemble your system - it's easy!

Yeah...

I sure hope the process is simpler for Wii U and 3DS to NX or whatever their next set of systems is, because this is a joke. It hurts to have to buy Fates' DLC. I worried that the purchases are going to be glorified rentals, lost in the upgrade.

LewieP

How do you work this out? Between cross buy games/saves and region free games, Nintendo are by far the worst.

The DLC practices in their games are pretty great. They don't put microtransactions in full priced games. They don't charge for access to P2P multiplayer. They build hardware that is designed to last. There's several cases of them putting out meaningful free updates to games. They have a track record of shipping games that function as advertised.

Internet kids have mangled and abused the language so much, so pardon my ignorance, but did the definition of anti-consumer change to "I didn't get my way" at some point?

The DLC practices in their games are pretty great. They don't put microtransactions in full priced games. They don't charge for access to P2P multiplayer. They build hardware that is designed to last. There's several cases of them putting out meaningful free updates to games. They have a track record of shipping games that function as advertised.

But...but...the narrative!

Rich!

How could have homebrews helped in this case?

Easily.

I backed up all of my cart saves using svdt (homebrew). Using that, I was able to keep them safe, copy them to a new system format and even use them with the digital version of the games too.

It would actually solve OPs problem here providing he still has the original save.

Sapiens

To say the relationship with consumers was contemptuous is an understatement. I would argue that NoA is another layer of shit on top of the overall nonsense.

But the highs are so god damned high! Where else am I going to play Super Mario 2.5D World? Mario Kart 8? I'm really even into my daily, free, play of badge arcade, even though even one purchase on that thing is a complete rippoff.

Silvard

You pay for that privilege, mind you.

You don't. A save is associated to your account regardless of device or whether you have PS+ or not. Even without cloud back up the OP's problem wouldn't have happened (or even be necessary in the first place, because there is no need or use for a "transfer" process).

Neoweee

Internet kids have mangled and abused the language so much, so pardon my ignorance, but did the definition of anti-consumer change to "I didn't get my way" at some point?

No, but has traditionally included poor DRM and poor customer experience practices.

Zemm

the dlc for MK8 was great, but I think their DLC with amibo's is worse than almost all DLC out there. Splatoon had free updates but that's because they released it barebones like SF5 (not quite as bad as that actually but still pretty bad). Hardware built to last is very subjective and they aren't without faults in that area either. Nintendo really aren't better than the others, amibo's holding dlc and region locking makes them the worst for me.

Pick one of the above.

This is exactly the decision you need to make, at least right now.

I have lost Monster Hunter 3U and I paid full retail for it because I was a chump who wanted convenience over a cheaper physical cart. Thought it was about time to give it a go. Upgraded to 3DSXL and it was the only game lost when there were 4 other Digital Titles purchased.

Nintendo UK Customer Service is also utterly useless.

First time I told them what happened and she told me it's just:

"The risk you make upgrading"

Asked to speak to someone else knowing this call was raping my bank account by the second, and after a few minutes the "Supervisor" told me the same and hung up.

Never again Nintendo.

Mega

Banned
Pretty much how I feel about them at this point, but not for the same reason.

I've already sold my Wii U and most of my 3DS stuff, I figure values will tank as soon as they announce NX.

This is the exact opposite of what happens with Nintendo stuff.

mjc

This is why I still buy physical Nintendo games if I can. Draconian transfer and saved data rules are baffling. It's 2016.

I did a transfer with no problems and had kept my saves.

Sounds cold, but you weren't paying attention. The process is a chore, but it's not that difficult.

I successfully transferred my digital Smash save from a 3DS XL to a New 3DS XL to a New 3DS. You messed up somewhere.

Why didn't you just leave the save on the cart and convert the save from cart to digital entirely on the New 3DS?

It sounds like your problem is that you had previously played the digital version of Smash and are trying to copy an outdated save over. There are a few 3DS games (Smash, New Leaf, Pokemon) that have extra encryption on the saves for some reason and there's a checksum between the save and the game that need to match.

What about the DLC that is locked behind a McDonald's toy?

Petrae

This is exactly the decision you need to make, at least right now.

I have lost Monster Hunter 3U twice, each time I paid full retail for it because I was a chump. First one was a upgrade to 3DSXL and it was the only game lost when there were 4 other Digital Titles purchased.

Nintendo UK Customer Service is also utterly useless on both accounts.

First time I told them what happened and she told me it's just:

"The risk you make upgrading"

Asked to speak to someone else knowing this call was raping my bank account by the second, and after a few minutes the "Supervisor" told me the same and hung up.

Never again Nintendo.

Holy shit. That's a horror story that would've put me off of upgrading to another 3DS if I hadn't already decided not to because of Nintendo's cheap-ass "No AC adapter in New 3DS Systems" policy.

"The risk you make upgrading" is that you might lose access to the games you bought? Fuck you, Nintendo.

Rich!

seriously, OP

I can sort this shit out for you. What firmware are you on? You can use a simple homebrew app to backup your Smash Bros save to SD from your old console and then re-install it onto your new console with no issues. It bypasses the shitty system that Nintendo have in place for backups.

It seems many others are experiencing this problem.

http://smashboards.com/threads/having-trouble-transferring-save-files-from-3ds-to-new-3ds.391133/

So if you own a digital copy of Super Smash Bros 3DS with save data and you perform a system transfer you won't be able to access your save data on the newly teansferred system.

This is absolute horse shit.

As I've said above, all is not lost. Providing you still have your save on your old console, you can use homebrew to back it up and transfer it outside of Nintendo's existing system.

TheMoon

You don't. A save is associated to your account regardless of device or whether you have PS+ or not. Even without cloud back up the OP's problem wouldn't have happened (or even be necessary in the first place, because there is no need or use for a "transfer" process).

Fair enough.

You can back up PS4 saves to a USB device(PC for the Vita).

You can do the same on 3DS

What about the DLC that is locked behind a McDonald's toy?

Don't start this nonsense again.

Teletraan1

Banned
Don't let the usual Nintendo jock riders in this thread get to you OP. These people will defend anything Nintendo does or doesn't do and put the blame on the user. I could have anticipated their responses and who made them before I opened the thread because it happens every time. Hopefully this new account system will fix some of this ass backwards nonsense from Nintendo. My phone handles this shit better than a game console.

Silvard

Name one content barren game of late besides Mario Tennis Ultra Smash or any of their games with "sketchy" DLC.

Amusing how you disqualify a game right away, but the example I was thinking of is Splatoon. Sure, free updates and blah blah, but funnily enough that isn't a good enough defense for SFV right now. And rightly so.

As for sketchy DLC; anything involving amiibos and DLC tied to (often scarce) physical goods.

Not to mention the region blocking, to the extent of IP blocking with Miitomo. And NoA in particular gets a lot of my resentment because of the way they handle the availability of some SKUs of hardware and software.

About the only thing they have going for them is the quality of most of their games. Though to be fair that's a pretty big thing for a lot of people.

OraleeWey

This whole transfer thing has me confused as shit. Even going to their website confused me even more because every time I click "learn how to do X", I just end up with 100 pop-up Windows. It's too confusing. They need to make it easier.

Nere

Why are people disregarding OP's complaints when they are totally legit? Nintendo is like 5-10 years behind competition on their online infrastructure. It is one of the reasons they started losing my favour. They need to get their shit done if they want to remain relevant.

TheMoon

Amusing how you disqualify a game right away, but the example I was thinking of is Splatoon. Sure, free updates and blah blah, but funnily enough that isn't a good enough defense for SFV right now. And rightly so.

As for sketchy DLC; anything involving amiibos and DLC tied to (often scarce) physical goods.

Not to mention the region blocking, to the extent of IP blocking with Miitomo. And NoA in particular gets a lot of my resentment because of the way they handle the availability of some SKUs of hardware and software.

About the only thing they have going for them is the quality of most of their games. Though to be fair that's a pretty big thing for a lot of people.

I'm not disqualifying it, I'm giving you one for free because that was the obvious example where it's undeniably true.

Splatoon however... content barren, even at launch? No. Plus, as you mentioned, there was a free update schedule in place.

Why are people disregarding OP's complaints when they are totally legit? Nintendo is like 5-10 years behind competition on their online infrastructure. It is one of the reasons they started losing my favour. They need to get their shit done if they want to remain relevant.

Because they're not totally legit. Should the whole stuff be easier? Of course! Did OP make his life needlessly hard by doing weird steps in a weird order? Definitely. Is any of this "anti-consumer?" Fuck no lol.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Step One: Calm down, being angry doesn't help anything.

Step Two: Call Nintendo, speak to a tech, tell them your situation and see what they can do for you before just throwing in the towel.

Should have waited for cloud saves with Nintendo Account. Or read up more on doing a transfer. It's a complicated system, which is one reason I've not bothered upgrading to a new 3DS.

I'm confident NX will be better in this regard.

levyjl1988

Banned
seriously, OP

I can sort this shit out for you. What firmware are you on? You can use a simple homebrew app to backup your Smash Bros save to SD from your old console and then re-install it onto your new console with no issues. It bypasses the shitty system that Nintendo have in place for backups.

As I've said above, all is not lost. Providing you still have your save on your old console, you can use homebrew to back it up and transfer it outside of Nintendo's existing system.

How do I go on doing that? I have a mac.

GametimeUK

I did a transfer with no problems and had kept my saves.

Sounds cold, but you weren't paying attention. The process is a chore, but it's not that difficult.

This is what it boils down to and yes I guess the "blame" ultimately falls on OP if you look at it from your perspective. Look a bit deeper and it's easy to understand how Nintendo have failed him. In a world where competitors are offering seamless data transfers between devices where you don't have to be on high alert, Nintendo could be doing more for their customers. So, it may ultimately be OP's fault for the end result, but it is also Nintendo's fault that their data swapping is so backwards.

Oersted

Don't let the usual Nintendo jock riders in this thread get to you OP. These people will defend anything Nintendo does or doesn't do and put the blame on the user. I could have anticipated their responses and who made them before I opened the thread because it happens every time. Hopefully this new account system will fix some of this ass backwards nonsense from Nintendo. My phone handles this shit better than a game console.

Apple and Google lead the market in that regard, so that sort of goes without saying.

Holy shit. That's a horror story that would've put me off of upgrading to another 3DS if I hadn't already decided not to because of Nintendo's cheap-ass "No AC adapter in New 3DS Systems" policy.

"The risk you make upgrading" is that you might lose access to the games you bought? Fuck you, Nintendo.

My fault for deviating from my "Always Physical on Console" mantra.

Unless Nintendo give me 5 free digital games, an almond croissant and a blowjob i'm staying away from digital Nintendo releases.

jblank83

Backing up save data in the Cloud is a necessity nowadays, hope we won't have to wait next gen for it to happen.

One of the things I like so much about the 3DS is its SD card support, which makes it easy to do save backups. I have periodic save backups going back several years.

It's unfortunate that a couple of games, like Smash and MH, are restricted.

For these sorts of games, yes, cloud backups would help.

Top Bottom