• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am going to jump from 3ds straight to PS5 / 4k with next gen. How is it gonna be?

Hello Gaf.

So I am planning to jump from 3ds that I am playing now straight to 4k with next gen. Do you think I can handle it?

The reason for such big jump is AAA fatigue during PS3 era. It was an awesome gen when some of my most favourite games were created. I ended up playing 100 plus AAA games. Ultimately got burned out due to their easy, self completing nature and lack of innovation back then.

Ended up getting a laptop for retro gaming, then a Vita and finally 3ds, that I play primarily now. I skipped ps4/ xb one gen completely.

Now I think I am ready to jump back in with current times. I was planning on sporting a 1080p screen as Unreal engine 5 demo was running on 1440p. So was expecting next gen systems to upscale to 4k. Having seen digital foundry analysis, I think consoles will be able to output native 4k.

I also need a new pc for image editing etc, which I will get in a few months, before next gen console. I was considering a beefy one, but has decided to pare down to gtx 1650 level card for pc rpgs and play last gen games via ps5 via backwards compatibilty. I feel next gen capable pc will hover around 2000 usd mark for a couple of years. I am not ready to make that investment. I feel everyone is underestimating series x sales potential on GAF. If you want to play next gen xbox games for reasonable money, series x makes a whole lot of sense.

Will try to squeeze a switch somewhere in middle.

I will stop rambling now. So what are your plans for next gen? Please share below. Thanks for reading.

Nankatsu

Like this OP:

giphy.gif

PSYGN

Less charm, more emphasis on graphics/realism from mainstream games. The indie games will probably be more to your liking if you enjoy retro/handheld games in which case you should just put the money from PS5 to your PC and play emulators and all the indie games. Just being real with you here.

Last edited:

leo-j

Less charm, more emphasis on graphics/realism from mainstream games. The indie games will probably be more to your liking if you enjoy retro/handheld games in which case you should just put the money from PS5 to your PC and play emulators and all the indie games. Just being real with you here.

less charm? Elaborate.

Dude, honestly... I'm super jelly. To be able to experience that jump should be amazing. I hope you like it. You should keep us updated on how things go and your thoughts on this stuff.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Very nice, you will be able to play all PS4 games at higher resolution and framerate too..... so if you have not played GOW, Uncharted, TLOU / TLOU2, Horizon, The Witcher, Bloodborne, Sekiro, RE2 remake, Detroit become human, Spider-man, Resogun, GTAV, RDR2 and loads of other stuff..... I'd say they are all still fantastic games.

We have Ghost of Tsushima in a month too ans then all the launch games.....

You'll pretty much have an endless amount of games to play. Get PS+ if you can get a year sub it's the best value and gives you 2 free games every month...should have some good stuff when PS5 launches.

teezzy

Banned
If you're already building a PC, I'd just put your funds further into that and beef it up for gaming. Get a Game Pass sub and snag some keys during a Steam Sale and you'll be in heaven.

Consoles are kinda superfluous when you have a decent PC rig, unless you're just looking for a secondary setup in your living space.

I'm doubling down on my PC, and buying a Series X for the next NHL, personally.

Moogle11

Banned
AAA games haven’t really changed much design wise, so if it was that you just didn’t like them rather than being burnt out you mah have a similar experience.

You’ll probably appreciate the graphics bump more than those of us who’ve been gaming in PS4 Pros, Xbox One ax’s it high end PCs though.

Zannegan

The thumbsticks will probably be the biggest revelation coming from the 3DS' awful slide pad. The graphics will wow you for a bit, but then you'll adjust (like the reverse of moving to a retro game after playing the latest and greatest). Being able to reliably move your character and the camera around the environment though should be a real treat.

I actually enjoy AA games the most. Like Gravity Rush, Tearaway. Where Dev's showcase good creativity and difficulty balance.

Dude, honestly... I'm super jelly. To be able to experience that jump should be amazing. I hope you like it. You should keep us updated on how things go and your thoughts on this stuff.

Sure thing!!!

Very nice, you will be able to play all PS4 games at higher resolution and framerate too..... so if you have not played GOW, Uncharted, TLOU / TLOU2, Horizon, The Witcher, Bloodborne, Sekiro, RE2 remake, Detroit become human, Spider-man, Resogun, GTAV, RDR2 and loads of other stuff..... I'd say they are all still fantastic games.

We have Ghost of Tsushima in a month too ans then all the launch games.....

You'll pretty much have an endless amount of games to play. Get PS+ if you can get a year sub it's the best value and gives you 2 free games every month...should have some good stuff when PS5 launches.

This is exactly what I am gonna do.

I jumped from a ps2 I barely played to a GTX 760 gaming PC. I am still catching up with all the games I did not play

Yup, been there, done that. I intend to limit games I play in future and just accept I won't be able to play everything I like the look of and is highly rated. Would rather spend more quality time with games I truly enjoy.

Jooxed Jooxed in complete and utter shambles.
If you're already building a PC, I'd just put your funds further into that and beef it up for gaming. Get a Game Pass sub and snag some keys during a Steam Sale and you'll be in heaven.

Consoles are kinda superfluous when you have a decent PC rig, unless you're just looking for a secondary setup in your living space.

I'm doubling down on my PC, and buying a Series X for the next NHL, personally.

It has to be a laptop as I move around a bit. And it has to be rather soon, under $1000. So I doubt I will be able to do justice to next gen.

Really want to build a pc in future though.

What's happening here? I would still be playing AA and lower budget titles mostly.

AAA games haven’t really changed much design wise, so if it was that you just didn’t like them rather than being burnt out you mah have a similar experience.

You’ll probably appreciate the graphics bump more than those of us who’ve been gaming in PS4 Pros, Xbox One ax’s it high end PCs though.

I played farcry 4 on xbox 360 I happen to have lying around 6 months ago. I think I am enjoying AAA games enough now to get back into them.

Honestly I really liked what was shown in ps5 conference. Games looked colourful, creative with conventional gameplay. Its exactly what I want to play.

Hello Gaf.

So I am planning to jump from 3ds that I am playing now straight to 4k with next gen. Do you think I can handle it?

The reason for such big jump is AAA fatigue during PS3 era. It was an awesome gen when some of my most favourite games were created. I ended up playing 100 plus AAA games. Ultimately got burned out due to their easy, self completing nature and lack of innovation back then.

Ended up getting a laptop for retro gaming, then a Vita and finally 3ds, that I play primarily now. I skipped ps4/ xb one gen completely.

Now I think I am ready to jump back in with current times. I was planning on sporting a 1080p screen as Unreal engine 5 demo was running on 1440p. So was expecting next gen systems to upscale to 4k. Having seen digital foundry analysis, I think consoles will be able to output native 4k.

I also need a new pc for image editing etc, which I will get in a few months, before next gen console. I was considering a beefy one, but has decided to pare down to gtx 1650 level card for pc rpgs and play last gen games via ps5 via backwards compatibilty. I feel next gen capable pc will hover around 2000 usd mark for a couple of years. I am not ready to make that investment. I feel everyone is underestimating series x sales potential on GAF. If you want to play next gen xbox games for reasonable money, series x makes a whole lot of sense.

Will try to squeeze a switch somewhere in middle.

I will stop rambling now. So what are your plans for next gen? Please share below. Thanks for reading.
You'll notice slight bump in resolution and graphics

Top Bottom