• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i am intrested in super robot series

L.O.R.D

so, after i finished Project X Zone
i liked it, so i wanna games like it
and want it on the DS
so i saw couple videos for super robot games, and like it
but..the only game available in English is Endless Frontier: Super Robot Wars OG Saga
and then i saw Endless Frontier EXCEED: Super Robot Wars OG Saga, its a DS game , so its region free, i don't mind the language that much

but my question is , is the other titles are impotent ? or related ?
Super Robot Gakuen
Super Robot Wars K
Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masō Kishin – The Lord Of Elemental
Super Robot Wars L
Super Robot Wars W

i don't want full robot fights, i want it like project x zone

Jubern

If you don't want full robot fights, then get either OG Endless Frontier (and EXCEED, its sequel) or Namco x Capcom (on PS2 though).

I forgot what Gakuen is but it's not the same gameplay at all IIRC. The rest of what you cited is pure robot.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
If you don't want full robot fights, then get either OG Endless Frontier (and EXCEED, its sequel) or Namco x Capcom.

I forgot what Gakuen is but it's not the same gameplay at all IIRC. The rest of what you cited is pure robot.

Gakuen is still full robot fights. That's the game where your characters are in a high school... and that's about all I know. I think they fight each other with the different robots from the various anime series?

Well there are the two Super Robot Taisen OG games on GBA. In english.

Those are full robot fights though. Unless its the OG Saga games, or Namco x Capcom or Project X Zone, all the other SRW games are full robot fights.

Jubern

He said he doesn't want the Super Robot Wars games that actually do have robots in it though :/
I'm not sure it leaves anything but the two Endless Frontier and Namco x Capcom (same dev, ie. Monolith Soft).

You should really just try the ones with robots, OP. Some are fan translated (J on GBA, Alpha Gaiden on PS1), and two were officially released in the US ("Super Robot Taisen Original Generation" 1&2 for GBA).

Unless its the OG Saga games, or Namco x Capcom or Project X Zone, all the other SRW games are full robot fights.

Careful, OG Saga games includes the three Masou Kishin games, which are full robot.

L.O.R.D

If you don't want full robot fights, then get either OG Endless Frontier (and EXCEED, its sequel) or Namco x Capcom.

thanks

so..all other games are full robot..hmm

i am wondering ..why they didn't localize this games ?
only 1 game got localized ?
EXCEED got english, but its sequel not ?

and how good is the full robot games are ?

SkyOdin

Those are how I got into the series. They are fun games, despite the fact that the graphics in OG 1 have aged particularly badly.

The full robot games generally have much deeper strategic depth than Project X Zone, with a similar amount of flashy animation. Instead of chaining multiple attacks together during a fight, you select one attack for each battle, and can choose to defend, evade, or counterattack at full power whenever an enemy targets one of your units. Resources are per-unit rather than shared by the team, as well.

Jubern

thanks

The full robots games are the main dish. The gameplay is usually more standard that Project X Zone or Endless Frontier (you can't do anything during attack animations, they're litteraly just here for show) but otherwise it's pretty good.
If there's only one you would have to play on DS, I'd say go for W. It's piss easy but the cast and robot selection is among the best of the series, it's outstanding.

The localization problem is complex.
For the full robot games besides OG1&2: licensing issues. Too complex to licence all the robots included in the game for the US.
Original Generation games don't have that problem though (it's only original robots created over the years by the developper, to include in various crossover games), which is why Atlus tried to localize them. But it came very, very late in the GBA lifespan and bomb horribly. So only the first two ones were localized and those versions aren't even relevant anymore: the two games were consolidated into a full-blown PS2 remake (SRW Original Generations) that retconned some parts of 2. It got sequels on PS2 and PS3.

Endless Frontier, I don't know why they didn't localize the second one. Sales, I guess?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
thanks

Licensing is the largest reason for localization woes. As mentioned also by others. Many different IPs with various rights holders involved. Makes for a mess with trying to get everyone on board.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Careful, OG Saga games includes the three Masou Kishin games, which are full robot.

Oh yeah, they put Masou Kishin with the OG Saga title too.
So revising my previous statement, the OG Saga Endless Frontier Games, Project X Zone, Namco x Capcom.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
The localization problem is complex.
For the full robot games besides OG1&2: licensing issues. Too complex to licence all the robots included in the game for the US.

Licensing is the largest reason for localization woes. As mentioned also by others. Many different IPs with various rights holders involved. Makes for a mess with trying to get everyone on board.

US licensing is really messed up. Great example is anything even remotely related to Macross.

robotnik

I'm new to series too, but unlike OP I interested in SRW, because of mechas. I'm still watching anime (need to finish: Reideen, Aquarion, Macross and almost all Gundam) in preparation, but I think about starting point.
I got my eye on Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Taisen Z Hakai-hen and Saisei-hen. Am I doing it right?

Top Bottom