• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am on a diet and I sometimes feel without energy at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So, I decided to tackle my overweight problem with a diet and exercise. Fuck it I am not gonna die a fat man. Quick info: 6'2, reached 283 pounds a few weeks ago. I don't really look like it since I have a big frame, but I was heavy and problems were beginning to pop up. I decided to attack the problem at is source; my non stop eating of shitty food and also getting some exercise. Mind you this is not a TV diet or whatever, I went to a nutritionist and she gave me a specific meal plan I should follow. I've been following it making some minor adjustments since we started off from the premise I had no exercise at all.

My usual day consists of corn flakes with some milk or a farina or a protein shake in the morning. Since I usually have breakfast late I don't snack, I wait for lunch when I usually go for a subway wrap or 1/4 roasted chicken with some veggies. Sometimes I bring food from home and its a large mixed veggie serving with some meat (chicken or fish). Later I usually snack a yogurt or a snack bar (peanut butter and dark chocolate usually, great proteins low carbs and sugar). Dinner I mix it up, sometimes going to eat a 6oz sirloin with some salad and corn, or something similar to lunch, or a fast food salad pack with some light dressing, etc. After that another snack, usually some crackers with ham and cheese.

At least twice a week (bare minimum) I try to hit the gym. Do 20+- mins of resistance cardio, usually in an arc trainer machine to have less impact on my knees, and then do upper body. I have a friend who is a certified personal trainer that helps me.

This has only been going on for about two weeks, but lately I have been feeling without energy at all later in the evenings, just damn tired. When the night comes I am just cruising until I sleep. I think maybe I am eating too little and need so spice it up? I've already lost 11 pounds on the 2000 calorie diet I was given but I am not sure if my body is going through some "withdrawal" symptoms or I am just eating too little. Anyone gone through this?

entremet

Calculate your TDEE-Total Daily Energy Expenditure. They're calculators online. Bodybuilding.com has a stickied one in their forum.

You're a big guy and contrary to conventional wisdom, you probably have a higher metabolism than you think. I'm guessing you're underrating since you're probably doing a huge deficit with the diet and exercise combined, especially if you were sedentary before hand.

Cut the cereal/farina in the morning as well. Cut the crackers out as well. I'd try to stay away from refined wheat based carbs and just do rice or potatoes instead.

I'll post my experience.

I lost over 120 lbs by doing an Atkins / Lowcarb variant.

I never went without food, I just restricted carb intake to less than 25-30g / day and continued to eat 2200-2800 calories / day.

I went from a size 44 pants, to a 34-36

Once my body went into Ketosis, I never had a problem with energy.

Once every two weeks or so I would do a carb up, and splurge on icecream.. .french fries etc.

387750_10150435504090756_1952699710_n.jpg

380929_10150435504115756_1422458996_n.jpg

405258_10150435499040756_604685902_n.jpg

270 in this pic

390348_10150435499200756_1798845673_n.jpg

And now

1798713_10152055901010756_1656249112443908780_n.jpg

582177_10150667810835756_712589753_n.jpg

471676_10151144408385756_1639567624_o.jpg

A website that helped me out greatly during this time, was the forums on lowcarbfriends.com

Rad-

My usual day consists of corn flakes with some milk or a farina or a protein shake in the morning. Since I usually have breakfast late I don't snack, I wait for lunch when I usually go for a subway wrap or 1/4 roasted chicken with some veggies. Sometimes I bring food from home and its a large mixed veggie serving with some meat (chicken or fish). Later I usually snack a yogurt or a snack bar (peanut butter and dark chocolate usually, great proteins low carbs and sugar). Dinner I mix it up, sometimes going to eat a 6oz sirloin with some salad and corn, or something similar to lunch, or a fast food salad pack with some light dressing, etc. After that another snack, usually some crackers with ham and cheese.

Stop eating corn flakes, snack bars and crackers. And eat more meat.

And wait you have lost 11 pounds in 2 weeks? Yeah that's way too little you are eating.

Also to add, some loss of energy is perfectly normal when losing weight. You are eating less than your body requires after all. But if you feel dead beat every day then that's not normal.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Damn Thacker, congrats.

I am keeping carbs low as well. Avoiding bread, pasta, etc. Maybe the cereal is the main carb source.

@entrement... any specific reason I should cut those?

rtcn63

I think this is normal. I've dieted more than a few times, and being in a heavy calorie deficit + exercise will wear you out. (I've cut upwards of 1/3rd of my total intake) Do you do coffee? I'm usually drinking or taking caffeine pills (an ephedrine/caffeine stack specifically). It curbs hunger and boosts the metabolism (a bit) with regular use, and keeps me going when I want to die in a pit of feces.

And of course, consider talking to your nutritionist/physician. Not all diets are for all people, and maybe you're the sort who can't do a heavy deficit + cardio routine. Possibly limit your cardio to fewer sessions or lose it completely.

Wiktor

You're propably eating to few calories. Large body burns a lot of calories. A 285 pound guy sittin all day will burn a lot more than a thin one doing the same.

You might want to research ketogenic diet for kickstarting weight loss. After a week or two of adaptation period the energy levels spike up like crazy and you can maintain energy even after 40 hours fasts.

Simply put when your body switches to using fat as primary fuel instead of sugars it's much easier to diet, as all you have on yourself are bassialy big fuel tanks ready to be burned. Sugar is terrible source of energy during dieting, as it doesn't last long in your bloodstream. Few hours tops and it's gone and your body starts to crave another dose.

Well the issue is people of different sizes need to take in different amounts of calories in order to lose weight. 2,000 is a catch all number I feel like, 2000 is extremely low for your size. There are a few factors with this like your height, your age, your current weight and how active you are. Try googling a calorie counter, that you can fill in. It'll take all the multipliers and do it for you.

I'll post my experience.

I never went without food, I just restricted carb intake to less than 25-30g / day and continued to eat 2200-2800 calories / day.

Once every two weeks or so I would do a carb up, and splurge on icecream.. .french fries etc.

387750_10150435504090756_1952699710_n.jpg

380929_10150435504115756_1422458996_n.jpg

405258_10150435499040756_604685902_n.jpg

270 in this pic

390348_10150435499200756_1798845673_n.jpg

And now

1798713_10152055901010756_1656249112443908780_n.jpg

582177_10150667810835756_712589753_n.jpg

471676_10151144408385756_1639567624_o.jpg

A website that helped me out greatly during this time, was the forums on lowcarbfriends.com

This is fucking amazing. While I could never relate to being overweight, this is highly inspirational that any dream is possible with the right mind set and effort. A very excellent job done, Thatcher!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's sad how much effort you have to go to to avoid carbs. Wheat's fucking everywhere, and you quickly realize that when you try to avoid it.

OP, you socialize pretty regularly? Sounds weird, I'm sure, but it does help a lot with keeping you awake while your body adjusts to the diet.

Wiktor

It's sad how much effort you have to go to to avoid carbs. Wheat's fucking everywhere, and you quickly realize that when you try to avoid it.

Personally I find it pretty easy. It used to be hard, but only at the beginning. I actually find it easier to completely remove grains and sugars than to limit them. If I eat a slice of bread it's hard not to eat another one right after. But if never eat it the craving dissapears after a while.

OP, you socialize pretty regularly? Sounds weird, I'm sure, but it does help a lot with keeping you awake while your body adjusts to the diet.

Avoiding carbs is insanely hard for most people.
Some quick advice of mine:

Fast food is "okay" but not ideal. You can sub a chili instead of fries at Wendys, and you can always request a burger without the bun at any fast food place.

Water is best, but Diet soda can and will help cut the desire for sweets.

Pork Rinds are a great substitute for chips. You can find them in all different flavors if you order them offline.

Cheese, and all variants of nuts make a great snack choice.

You can get low carb tortillas to sub for bread. Mashed cauliflower makes a great potato and rice substitute.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™

Yeah I socialize way too much. I actually drink a lot of beer but have cut it for 2 weeks now. If I go hanging out I will probably break that rule XD!

I am reading about ketosis and ketogenic diet. Sounds interesting. I'll probably stick with what I was given (have the next check-up in about 3 weeks) but I will definitely consider it if I feel tired. At least I've cut sugar from my diet. Hell, even my coffee is near sugarless these days (only one packet).

As for calorie counter, I am using MyFitnessPal. Great tool.

Anyway I may just ride this out until my body gets used to it, maybe treat myself a little better in the meats department.

Wiktor

Avoiding carbs is insanely hard for most people.
Some quick advice of mine:

Fast food is "okay" but not ideal. You can sub a chili instead of fries at Wendys, and you can always request a burger without the bun at any fast food place.

Water is best, but Diet soda can and will help cut the desire for sweets.

Pork Rinds are a great substitute for chips. You can find them in all different flavors if you order them offline.

Cheese, and all variants of nuts make a great snack choice.

You can get low carb tortillas to sub for bread. Mashed cauliflower makes a great potato and rice substitute.

Shirataki noodles, cauliflower pizza and curry, stevia, cottage cheese icecreams, eggs deserts, homemade ice tea... all those are lifesaves on lowcarb :D

entremet

Damn Thacker, congrats.

I am keeping carbs low as well. Avoiding bread, pasta, etc. Maybe the cereal is the main carb source.

@entrement... any specific reason I should cut those?

Those foods do not satiate, have poor nutritional density, may increase appetite.

Snack on nuts, cheese, olives. Just count the calories. You'll be way more satiated and they have more nutrients than wheat based garbage.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I can't say that I've ever been overweight, but I do know about high and low energy. The key to getting more energy is to have some kind of sustained cardio in your day somewhere. Every day.

What I do is bicycle, since I have a bad knee. Now, I walk to and from work, but just that on its own doesn't keep my energy levels up like the cardio I get from cycling. At first (for me, after winter when I can't cycle) it is really hard, and you have to monitor your heart rate to make sure you're not gonna almost die when you stop and your blood pumps back out of your leg muscles, but once you develop some capacity in cardio you'll really feel in direct sensations what a machine your body is. It's like you clearly feel the relationships between muscles, oxygen, water, and nutrients. When I'm regularly cycling is when I feel this and have such high energy and normal sleeping habits. I think I may try to get a mount to continue cycle training through winter this year.

You can do any kind, cycling, swimming, dancing, whatever. Just make sure it isn't about weight/hard muscle work but rather about keeping your body moving and blood flowing for a good period of time. It will be shorter times at first but it's easy to develop into better sustained sessions. Eventually you'll really love the sensation of activating all the systems your body has. Feels like you're alive and free rather than just hard and suffering.

Those foods do not satiate, have poor nutritional density, may increase appetite.

Snack on nuts, cheese, olives. Just count the calories. You'll be way more satiated and they have more nutrients than wheat based garbage.

This is true.

Assuming calories and other things equal, you will always feel more full by eating a handful of nuts or a hunk of cheese, opposed to a slice of bread or a handful of chips.

So, I decided to tackle my overweight problem with a diet and exercise. Fuck it I am not gonna die a fat man. Quick info: 6'2, reached 283 pounds a few weeks ago. I don't really look like it since I have a big frame, but I was heavy and problems were beginning to pop up. I decided to attack the problem at is source; my non stop eating of shitty food and also getting some exercise. Mind you this is not a TV diet or whatever, I went to a nutritionist and she gave me a specific meal plan I should follow. I've been following it making some minor adjustments since we started off from the premise I had no exercise at all.

At least twice a week (bare minimum) I try to hit the gym. Do 20+- mins of resistance cardio, usually in an arc trainer machine to have less impact on my knees, and then do upper body. I have a friend who is a certified personal trainer that helps me.

This has only been going on for about two weeks, but lately I have been feeling without energy at all later in the evenings, just damn tired. When the night comes I am just cruising until I sleep. I think maybe I am eating too little and need so spice it up? I've already lost 11 pounds on the 2000 calorie diet I was given but I am not sure if my body is going through some "withdrawal" symptoms or I am just eating too little. Anyone gone through this?

I feel ambivalent telling you what to do, as I think everyone is different and respond different to certain things. Compared with different levels of metabolism and pain endurance the progress and mileage varies significantly.

I have gone through what you are talking about and I can tell you what helped me.

1) Stop the bullshit. Get off the diet. Diets are temporary, that's why people always relapse. Make a real change, instead of going half the way. People are not bullshitting when they say it's a lifestyle choice. Diets are often temporary solutions that limit oneself. At least that is my experience when it comes to Atkins, weight watchers and all that stuff.

2) Throw out the scale. You don't need the scale. Weight is a number. It doesn't matter if you lose muscle mass and water weight. You want to lose fat, for health and aestetics. So stop putting emphasis on a silly weight scale. It doesn't tell the story. Instead, what I did was that I took a pair of Jeans I wanted to fit, and I tried the jeans every week to see how close I was too fitting it. I didn't care for what I weighed. I just wanted to look and feel great. It was much better to look at the satisfying results in a mirror and train the eye to see the subtle differences, instead of getting a fake story from a weight scale.

3) Dump the corn flakes, dump the subway wrap. Make your own food. I don't think you're going to make it if you don't learn to cook. Make some oatmeal, skim milk, go for a little handful of nuts. Even those corn flakes with all brands who look and are marketed healthy, are bad as fuck.

I would avoid tortilla bread, and durum wheat and other white breads. Stick to the darkest rye bread you can find. The way white bread effects my body is that it makes me more hungry, and makes me not full. I feel bloated and I get tired. Remember - Scientists give white bread to mice to induce diabetics in them.
IMO, if you had to cut three things to be successful, I would go with sugar, alcohol and white bread. If you could avoid these three things, you will really help yourself.

4) Stop the snack bar. Dark chocolate and peanut butter bar, might have beneficial things in them but they are still calorie bombs. Just because something is healthy doesn't mean it helps you lose weight. If you wanna make a real lifestyle change you have to stop eating these things. healthy snacks to lose weight is like cheating on your wife with a man. It's not a snickers bar, but it's still bad.

5) Please lift weights. Weight lifting is in my mind the best way to lose weight. There is a time and place for cardio, but think of your body as a train, and your muscles as the the engine. The fat is the coal the train needs to lose weight.
But if your muscles are not strong and good, you will never burn off the fat fast enough. (increased metabolism). You said you have been big for a long a time, that means you will not be the guy who can go on a diet, get slim and then eat what you want. you will gain the weight back faster than other people.
Why? Because your metabolism is low. you fucked up. The jury is out on if people can really destroy their metabolism after it has sunk so low after all the abuse on the body. Please become physical strong. It's your best chance for your body to burn off that fat and keep being effective at it.

Cardio is good, but cardio certain times will also burn muscle along with fat. and that's NOT good. it looks great on the weight scale, but it is not what you want.

6) Drink 3x as much water as you want to. This is the easiest one I see people failing at. Drinking a significant amount of water increases your metabolism by up to 30%. That's a significant fat burner. Plus, filling your stomache with water help reduce your need to snack. Every time you feel you want something sweet to chew on - drink 3 glasses of water. you don't want more after the first glass, but force yourself to take two more glasses. I promise you that it will help with it.

7) Your body doesn't want to change. It needs to use massive amounts of energy on altering itself. Your body seeks to be in whatever shape it is in. That is why you are tired. You have only done this for a few weeks, it takes time for the body to change, but you will feel more energetic if you stick with it.

8) It's going to suck so bad before it gets better. It's going to suck every day for a very long time, but that's the thing. Tough love.

happypup

You did the right thing by consulting a nutritionist. Your body has gotten used to a higher calorie intake, it will get used to the lower calorie diet, obviously if you are getting dizzy or feinting then you aren't getting enough food. Other than that keep at it, begin increasing your activity levels as you feel comfortable, maintain your diet, and you should be fine.

People will give you specific instructions on this thread that have never met you, talked to you, weighed you, or measured your body fat, listen to your doctor and your nutritionist.

Good post VigiliantWalrus, but is there evidence for the water thing? I feel like the importance of water is often overstated in diet and that people recommend unnecessary overconsumption. I also find the claim about speeding metabolism somewhat dubious. I could see it making you feel more full, but I think your water needs vary based on the size and composition of your eating habits and that you actually don't need such massive amounts of it.

You did the right thing by consulting a nutritionist. Your body has gotten used to a higher calorie intake, it will get used to the lower calorie diet, obviously if you are getting dizzy or feinting then you aren't getting enough food. Other than that keep at it, begin increasing your activity levels as you feel comfortable, maintain your diet, and you should be fine.

People will give you specific instructions on this thread that have never met you, talked to you, weighed you, or measured your body fat, listen to your doctor and your nutritionist.

This is where I am going to kinda disagree.

General MD's are typically terrible at nutritional advice... and unfortunately so are a lot of certified nutritionists. These are the same people that still consider saturated fats as bad, and carbs as good.

I won't go off on a tangent here, but there is a ton of great information all over the internet regarding the benefits of low carb (and really no evidence against it).

Keep in mind, the companies doing the lobbying in the nutrition industry are the ones producing high carb, low nutritional value foods at a low cost. (Cereals, grains, corn products, sugar industry, cheap processed snacks)

This is why the past 75 years has been disastrous for human health regarding what we should and shouldn't be eating.

EDIT: As far as consulting a doctor, after I lost my weight I had my cholesterol checked. My good raised, my bad lowered ... substantially. I was always okay, but I was much more in line with what I was supposed to be after losing the weight. My doctor "couldn't believe" my numbers considering what my diet consisted of. Also my blood pressure dropped to the point where I no longer was told I needed medication for it. (I never took any for it anyway, due to no insurance)

Rad-

Good post VigiliantWalrus, but is there evidence for the water thing? I feel like the importance of water is often overstated in diet and that people recommend unnecessary overconsumption. I also find the claim about speeding metabolism somewhat dubious. I could see it making you feel more full, but I think your water needs vary based on the size and composition of your eating habits and that you actually don't need such massive amounts of it.

I think it's a myth. Been on a cut where I drank 2-3 litres of water daily vs where I drank 0,5 litres and noticed no difference whatsoever.

I believe it's just a thing that makes you feel more full and thus you aren't as prone to snacks.

The tiredness comes from your blood sugar levels fluctuating. You want to get rid of enough carbs in your diet so that you're in permanent ketosis, meaning your blood sugar is constant and doesn't mainly come from eating carbs.

There's a great community over on /r/keto.
Personally, I am a big advocate of the Slow Carb Diet from Tim Ferrris' book "The 4 Hour Body".

Any of these diets coupled with Starting Strength and some light cardio, you should be seeing amazing progress within weeks.

I am not a nutritionist but an ex-fatty myself.

happypup

This is where I am going to kinda disagree.

General MD's are typically terrible at nutritional advice... and unfortunately so are a lot of certified nutritionists. These are the same people that still consider saturated fats as bad, and carbs as good.

I won't go off on a tangent here, but there is a ton of great information all over the internet regarding the benefits of low carb (and really no evidence against it).

Keep in mind, the companies doing the lobbying in the nutrition industry are the ones producing high carb, low nutritional value foods at a low cost. (Cereals, grains, corn products, sugar industry, cheap processed snacks)

This is why the past 75 years has been disastrous for human health regarding what we should and shouldn't be eating.

EDIT: As far as consulting a doctor, after I lost my weight I had my cholesterol checked. My good raised, my bad lowered ... substantially. I was always okay, but I was much more in line with what I was supposed to be after losing the weight. My doctor "couldn't believe" my numbers considering what my diet consisted of. Also my blood pressure dropped to the point where I no longer was told I needed medication for it. (I never took any for it anyway, due to no insurance)

you have some valid points, not all doctors and nutritionists are as well versed in the topic as an anonymous poster on an internet forum.

you have some valid points, not all doctors and nutritionists are as well versed in the topic as an anonymous poster on an internet forum.

I can sense the condescension... which is fine... but I also have some great results to back up my own theory.

Then again.. it's not just me. People lose weight, and are generally healthier on a low carb lifestyle than not. Over the last few years Keto has become the thing... not because it's a fad... but because it works.

It's changed my life, and many others around me that I know whereas I've watched people follow diets... fads...and trends in nutrition and failed time after time to lose weight. Those that did starved themselves. Those that lost weight always gained it back.

Since changing to a low carb lifestyle I:

Lost Weight
Increased Energy
Sleep less, work harder
Lowered bad cholesterol, raised the good
Dropped my blood pressure to a point of not needing medication
Able to sustain and maintain a normal sexual desire. Able to perform normally as well.

Other benefits that may or may not be related.

My hair started falling out when I was overweight and I started to develop a serious receding hairline in my late teens. I also started going grey.

Since losing weight, my hairline has stayed the same and the amount of grey has not increased.

happypup

I can sense the condescension... which is fine... but I also have some great results to back up my own theory.

Then again.. it's not just me. People lose weight, and are generally healthier on a low carb lifestyle than not. Over the last few years Keto has become the thing... not because it's a fad... but because it works.

It's changed my life, and many others around me that I know whereas I've watched people follow diets... fads...and trends in nutrition and failed time after time to lose weight. Those that did starved themselves. Those that lost weight always gained it back.

Lost Weight
Increased Energy
Sleep less, work harder
Able to sustain and maintain a normal sexual desire. Able to perform normally as well.

Other benefits that may or may not be related.

My hair started falling out when I was overweight and I started to develop a serious receding hairline in my late teens. I also started going grey.

Since losing weight, my hairline has stayed the same and the amount of grey has not increased.

Which is great, but this is what is called anecdotal evidence. I am not trying to bash any diet plan here, only saying that every person has individual and unique needs and that it is better to get advice first hand than to get it from some anonymous source.

Wiktor

Which is great, but this is what is called anecdotal evidence. I am not trying to bash any diet plan here, only saying that every person has individual and unique needs and that it is better to get advice first hand than to get it from some anonymous source.

The important thing is to research the doctor first. If he doesn't have a long list of patients with permanent weight loss his advice shouldn't be treated as gospel.

That said, if one's only starting weight loss and he has a lot to lose and doesn't necessary want to do it find a professional nutrionist it's a very good idea to go for a check up. Take your measurements, stats, fat levels, and blood work analys and then go every month to see if what you're doing isn't just burning fat, but also negatively affecting your health.

Im 165lbs and eat ~2000-2200 calories a day on a cut. That nets me around 1lb of weight loss per week. You're feeling tired because you're eating low carb and you're probably not getting enough fat to get your energy from Ketosis. Up your calorie intake, 2000 is not enough for that weight. Eat potatoes, more rice meals, pasta meals. Just taper of your carb intake later on in the day. You'll find just eating healthier, avoiding the junk food and exercising mildly will still net you weight loss without the fatigue.

Lost Weight
Increased Energy
Sleep less, work harder

I get the same benefits from a high carb diet.

If you have enough energy during the day, then getting tired at night sounds like what's supposed to happen. Especially if you're doing more work during the day, which you are, since you're exercising. I would not worry about it unless you start having a hard time between lunch and dinner; if you start getting wiped around then, I could see there might be a diet issue. Of course, it could also be a sleep issue; I think we're all assuming you're sleeping soundly and for an appropriate duration, but maybe you're not.

I think its a good sign that you're tired at night, its natural, you will get use to it

Seriously. When I ate carbs regularly i`d stay awake for hours in bed, until finally falling asleep.

On keto? Psh, i`m lucky if i can read a manga chapter to the end. Also stopped snoring.

Well, as far as I know, there is no real factual science about what we can do about our levels of metabolism.

My own theory is that, if you train every day or remain very active throughout the day, you sweat more and expend more liquid. Since 70 of our body consists of liquid it makes sense to have a lot of water in it. But beyond that, I don't know. I have tried noticing a corrolation between how much I sweat and how I drink but couldn't figure that out either.

I honestly think it can make a significant difference if you engange in HIT(High Intensity Training). When I have done that, I start sweating immeditately, and a lot.

This reminds me of something else, The HodgeTwins made some videos after fasting that was really interesting. They claim they got significant amounts of more energy from fasting (giving the body more time to digest):

I haven't tried this, and I dont follow the Hodge Twins regularly. I know they have haters and I know they have supporters, but I find them pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn4ViszNzTA

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
One of the contributors to weight gain is lack of sleep.

If you're tired, go to sleep. Get your 8 hours.

I don't think keto is totally necessary, but if you do go that route, you'll feel like shit for several days. Your body has to adjust to burning fat instead of burning glucose.

I'll post my experience.

Mad respect for your achievement yo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom