• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am Setsuna |OT| But The World Refused To Change

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I think the game is really great, but I haven't finished it. Had my first try with the end boss and he totally destroyed me. I think so far I did good with the other bosses, but in this case I have no chance at all. How can I improve my party? I haven't done any exploring since I have received the airship.

Once you get the airship I'd recommend you explore the world, doing the characters' Spritnite sidequests, as well as collecting the sealed chests. There's a battle against the Spritnite-Afflicted Monsters in the iceberg area (near the left exit), go in there and spam your best attacks and you'll get 5000-7500 EXP (if you're eating a meal) a pop.

jholmes

I think the game is really great, but I haven't finished it. Had my first try with the end boss and he totally destroyed me. I think so far I did good with the other bosses, but in this case I have no chance at all. How can I improve my party? I haven't done any exploring since I have received the airship.

You can get the ultimate spiritnite for each character. (These are missions that all start in a town and all require you to have the pertinent character in your active party at the moment.) There's also the spiritnite-eaten monsters, roughly one for each dungeon. There's an achievement for killing all of them, so if you don't have it, there's still some you haven't found. (Some of these are easy so long as you get the first round of hits in and many of them are right by an entrance, so if you need to grind, they're good for it -- the post above is Exhibit A.) There's two hidden bosses, one in Serendale and one atop one of the boss-rush towers. You can also get the sealed chests and upgrade your weapons, assuming you haven't done that.

If you're doing any of the above, make sure you have a good talisman equipped for fluxes for each member of your party and lean heavily on magic and momentum to get those fluxes.

Exentryk

I'll just leave this here to show how much you can improve your party (That's 4.5 million+ in damage!). You don't need to get to this level, but it's possible ;)

giphy.gif

Did you beat the mini bosses first?

Maz

I just beat the
sheep
boss, that was 1 challenging fight. So far I'm loving the game and reminds me of old squaresoft games, I genuinely did not expect to like it as much as I do now.

JRPG's are the reason I buy Sony consoles and finally in the next 6 months I'll be playing nothing but JRPG's which makes me so happy.

I just managed to randomly talk to an npc that gave me my first food recipe. I usually talk to everybody I run into, so not sure why it took this long to find a recipe.

jholmes

I just managed to randomly talk to an npc that gave me my first food recipe. I usually talk to everybody I run into, so not sure why it took this long to find a recipe.

They won't offer you a recipe or even mention it unless you already have every ingredient.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Finally beat
Hapsber
then went on to beat the game. Man, that was a challenging fight! But I realized that I never upgraded my weapons, so once I did that for Endir it became a BIT easier. (and I was at level 57!)

End guy was easy but very nearly wiped me out
on his finishing move

Still, really enjoyed my time with the game apart from some flaws I went over earlier. Don't know why it's getting such middling reviews. I liked a lot of the CT references in the game:

-End guy looks a lot like
Giga Gaia
-The monument to sacrifices is reminiscent of the scene where you revive Chrono
-X-Strike, Luminare, and
Frog Squash
attacks
-A party member you get:
the villain through most of the game, with a sickle weapon, joins you at the end... totally saw that one coming

Ennosuke

Thanks for your comments guys, I managed to beat the final boss. I was doing some flux grinding and overthinking my spiritnite setup and finally managed to beat the endboss.

I am not saying this game is perfect and I don't say it is without flaws, but to be honest to me this was a great game. When I think about the discussion before the game released and people where discussing if 40$/€ would be too much, I have to clearly disagree. It was definitively worth the money. It was pretty linear, but it opened up and to me this is the perfect JRPG approach. I was playing it 1-2 hours after work and this was highly relaxing and I wasn't bored a second.

I never played games such as Chrono Trigger or those old school JRPG, so I can't compare and this also made it a new "experience" to me. The music is the best part of the game, it can get repetitive, but some parts of it are one of the most memorable melodies I heard in modern JRPGs. I am also very happy with the whole artdesign and the characters. Combat wasn't really explained, but I think the system is very nice.

I guess nobody is interested in my opinion, but this game is worth buying and supporting. I want more like this!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I really enjoyed this game for what it was. It was a nice breath of fresh air & a fond throwback to RPGs of yesteryear.

Not a lot of twists & turns on a story layer level. Game play not focused on grinding nor system riding. Not too much character development. In fact, nothing really stands out other than it's personality. I think their clear design focus to reference/harken back to RPGs like Chrono Trigger & the such was a nice change of pace from the fleshed out experiences we're accustomed to nowadays.

Either way, worth a try. Especially if you enjoy the good old days.

My favorite parts? I'm a bit of a nostalgia freak so I loved all the references to Chrono Trigger (there are a LOT of them).

DPtheGod

Hi Setsuna GAF,

Does anyone have any tips for activating flux for Support Spiritnite? I need to pop this trophy. I have like 92 total fluxes, and have most of the other flux trophies, just need this and the 200 total fluxes.

I am
helping Askash or whatever find the spiritnite to build his ship, so I am assuming I'm near the end.

Alucrid

Banned
haven't played in a bit but i'm pretty sure there's a specific -whatever you insert the spritinite into- that you have to use that gives the chance for support fluxs

jholmes

Hi Setsuna GAF,

Does anyone have any tips for activating flux for Support Spiritnite? I need to pop this trophy. I have like 92 total fluxes, and have most of the other flux trophies, just need this and the 200 total fluxes.

I am
helping Askash or whatever find the spiritnite to build his ship, so I am assuming I'm near the end.

There are a bunch of talismans you can buy that have support bonus as their third flux bonus. I'm pretty sure they're all sold by Weppy & Tails. I feel like support fluxes pop far less often, but if your levels are high enough to equip a bunch of spiritnite you can fill most of your slots up with support spiritnite and you should eventually get it.

DPtheGod

haven't played in a bit but i'm pretty sure there's a specific -whatever you insert the spritinite into- that you have to use that gives the chance for support fluxs

There are a bunch of talismans you can buy that have support bonus as their third flux bonus. I'm pretty sure they're all sold by Weppy & Tails. I feel like support fluxes pop far less often, but if your levels are high enough to equip a bunch of spiritnite you can fill most of your slots up with support spiritnite and you should eventually get it.

Sounds good, thanks guys!

As a side question, do I need Talisman's that will boost fluxation rates? Also, should I look for anything in particular besides support bonus? Like, how many support slots it can use, etc?

I admit I thought the first few hours were kind of boring despite being okay and aesthetically pleasing, so I ended up putting it down for about a month. It wasn't "oh I don't like this, so onto another" or anything, just got sidetracked.

Picked it up again the other night and played for six solid hours or so. I still don't understand things about it like the talismans and their cryptic descriptions, but it did get a lot better as it went and now I'm sorta feeling that long lost Square SNES/PS1 RPG feel from it.

jholmes

Sounds good, thanks guys!

As a side question, do I need Talisman's that will boost fluxation rates? Also, should I look for anything in particular besides support bonus? Like, how many support slots it can use, etc?

Unless I'm wrong, there isn't a talisman with both the fluxation boost and the support bonus. The fluxation boost ones just have one specific flux you can use. Also, note that flux power doesn't make fluxes more likely to happen, it just rewards you when they do. Also, so far as I remember, every talisman with support bonus has the same slots. Since your characters' natural slots can use support or magic spiritnite, you'll have a ton no matter what, so it's not an issue. You only have a few support bonus talismans to choose from, so just grab the flux types that you're interested in.

DPtheGod

Unless I'm wrong, there isn't a talisman with both the fluxation boost and the support bonus. The fluxation boost ones just have one specific flux you can use. Also, note that flux power doesn't make fluxes more likely to happen, it just rewards you when they do. Also, so far as I remember, every talisman with support bonus has the same slots. Since your characters' natural slots can use support or magic spiritnite, you'll have a ton no matter what, so it's not an issue. You only have a few support bonus talismans to choose from, so just grab the flux types that you're interested in.

Thanks for the info! I got the support trophy! I need just 3 more fluxes for the 200 activations trophy.

Also, end game spoilers.

I just beat Eutess and am geared to fight Samsara. I got to the point where Aeterna says there is no turning back but didn't go in yet. Now I want to do the character specific side quests for the special spiritnites. Is there an easy way to leave the final dungeon? Or do I actually have to back track through everything?

Arthea

Thanks for the info! I got the support trophy! I need just 3 more fluxes for the 200 activations trophy.

Also, end game spoilers.

spoiler

there is a portal right before the very last boss and you can get in from portal in the starting area of Lost Lands.
Although, you might wanna kill the last boss before doing an end game stuff, as many things appear only after you killed it for the first time.

DPtheGod

there is a portal right before the very last boss and you can get in from portal in the starting area of Lost Lands.
Although, you might wanna kill the last boss before doing an end game stuff, as many things appear only after you killed it for the first time.

Oh really? Darn. Also, I am blind as hell lol. Where is the portal? Is it in the room you fight
Eutess?
I see the save point and the portal that takes me back to the maze dungeon with the dinosaurs.

Joei

I finally beat the game the other night. I enjoyed it and the battle system and techs were interesting when you unlocked more, but I seemed to level up so easy that I wasn't trying to grind, but just doing the endgame quests with some minor material farming, I was able to get level 60, which was more than enough to easily finish the game and complete all the quests. Plus, the battles were ridiculously easy with some techs and support abilities. Some of the endgame battles were fun though. I really enjoyed the story, though I wish some stuff, such as with
Aeterna
was presented through
meaningful story segments
and not
with a random text drop near the end of the game
. I also was confused about Endir.
Why exactly was he sent to kill Setsuna
? It took me a while to finish the game so maybe I just forgot when/if it was discussed previously.

I also thought the ending sequence was a bit confusing.
Does it matter whether you choose to kill Setsuna
? I
chose not to but he still seemed he killed her. I wonder if the segment was any different if you chose to.
And is there anything really different that you can do post-game? I already beat
all the bosses in the ruins, even the "secret" one I guess
. I did that before beating the final boss. I'm not sure if anyone has found out any stuff that can only be done after beating the boss, it doesn't appear that way to me though. I didn't get all the chests or find all the enemies, but I really have no interest to.

jholmes

I also thought the ending sequence was a bit confusing.
Does it matter whether you choose to kill Setsuna
? I
chose not to but he still seemed he killed her. I wonder if the segment was any different if you chose to.
And is there anything really different that you can do post-game? I already beat
all the bosses in the ruins, even the "secret" one I guess
. I did that before beating the final boss. I'm not sure if anyone has found out any stuff that can only be done after beating the boss, it doesn't appear that way to me though. I didn't get all the chests or find all the enemies, but I really have no interest to.

You can beat the final boss
without taking out all his little minions
and that is definitely the toughest thing in the game. That might be the only thing you've missed.

So I've been looking at this game a lot recently because I've been craving a more "old school"/SNES era feeling game. Would people recommend it to someone whose favorite games include Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, FFVI, and so forth? Is it worth the $40? Is the PS4 version any good or should I get it on PC instead? Thanks for any help! :)

jholmes

So I've been looking at this game a lot recently because I've been craving a more "old school"/SNES era feeling game. Would people recommend it to someone whose favorite games include Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, FFVI, and so forth? Is it worth the $40? Is the PS4 version any good or should I get it on PC instead? Thanks for any help! :)

I would definitely recommend it if you're into those games so long as you know about the setting -- you aren't getting the colour of Secret of Mana or the swashbuckling of Chrono Trigger. As for it being worth $40, I didn't regret paying that but a lot of people found it steep. I felt I got what I paid for. Mind you, a sale isn't out of the question at this point, so just be sure you won't feel ripped off if it drops to $30 or whatever next month.

No idea about the PS4 but it played great on my PC.

I would definitely recommend it if you're into those games so long as you know about the setting -- you aren't getting the colour of Secret of Mana or the swashbuckling of Chrono Trigger. As for it being worth $40, I didn't regret paying that but a lot of people found it steep. I felt I got what I paid for. Mind you, a sale isn't out of the question at this point, so just be sure you won't feel ripped off if it drops to $30 or whatever next month.

No idea about the PS4 but it played great on my PC.

Thanks for the reply. Hmm, I do know that the game takes place in pretty much all snowy environments which is fine. A little shame there's not a bit more variety, but not too big of a deal. Yeah, the only reason why I haven't bought it the past couple days is because I'm thinking there might be a sale for it soon. It's been out for a while. It'd probably worth $40 anyway though. Still going to keep thinking about it. I know I won't have much free gaming time once FFXV hits lol. Might buy it this weekend, we'll see. Thanks again!

Vic_Viper

still pretty early in the game. About to get on the boat after fighting the frist "boss".

What do I do with all the materials ive been collecting from fights? The vendor in the first town didnt have a sale option which made me think they werent meant to be sold. Should I be keeping them for anything?

Labadal

still pretty early in the game. About to get on the boat after fighting the frist "boss".

What do I do with all the materials ive been collecting from fights? The vendor in the first town didnt have a sale option which made me think they werent meant to be sold. Should I be keeping them for anything?
I sold everything that wasn't in green text.

daemissary

I picked this up when it was on sale last week and now I really wish I would've bought it earlier.

Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time but I saw the somewhat mediocre reviews this got and I was kinda scared off. Maybe I'm just eating the 'member berries but I love all of the blatant Chrono Trigger fan service.

It definitely isn't a masterpiece like CT...the characters are not really memorable, the soundtrack is a little too repetitive (but evokes some Trigger nostalgia), and I think the upgrade system made it so the difficulty was hard to pace correctly. All that having been said, man it feels good to play an RPG where I can fly around on an airship on the world map.

This makes me really excited for whatever 90s style RPG they are working on next though. I really hope they can build on this!

JCX

I'm really enjoying this! Feel like a lot of people downplayed it. One question about he battle system though - I am not clear on how the orbs can be used for stronger attacks. Are there timed button presses like Mario RPG?

eojoko

Picked this up on Switch recently. Still early in the game. In my Snow Chronicles I have a 100% completion next to Magic Consortium. Is that normal? I've talked to the Magic Consortium guy, like, twice.

eojoko

I'm really enjoying this! Feel like a lot of people downplayed it. One question about he battle system though - I am not clear on how the orbs can be used for stronger attacks. Are there timed button presses like Mario RPG?

This is where a manual would've come in handy! Why there are no digital manuals for Switch games...

But yes, the game covers this very briefly in the opening section and then there's no way to look up the information again. I had to figure this out by trial and error. When your character has an orb, he will be able to get a "momentum" attack bonus if you press Y pretty immediately after selecting that characters' command. It is timed, but the timing window is large. Press Y after seeing a white light above your character.

There is some information about these mechanics in the Snow Chronicles, but it's written as "lore" more than manual instruction, so it doesn't tell you to press the Y button or anything.

hutna

Odd question:

So my wife recently broke her arm and she is relegated to playing vertical mobile games, but she is craving something more substantive. Is I am Setsuna playable one handed (sort of like DQ)? If there is a controll setting so she could play it with just the left JoyCon it would be really great. Anyone know?

EDarkness

This is where a manual would've come in handy! Why there are no digital manuals for Switch games...

But yes, the game covers this very briefly in the opening section and then there's no way to look up the information again. I had to figure this out by trial and error. When your character has an orb, he will be able to get a "momentum" attack bonus if you press Y pretty immediately after selecting that characters' command. It is timed, but the timing window is large. Press Y after seeing a white light above your character.

There is some information about these mechanics in the Snow Chronicles, but it's written as "lore" more than manual instruction, so it doesn't tell you to press the Y button or anything.

Damn, I didn't know that. I've gone through pretty much the whole game and never did this even once. The game really doesn't give much information on that sort of thing and the tutorial is extremely basic.

Good to know.

EDarkness

Odd question:

So my wife recently broke her arm and she is relegated to playing vertical mobile games, but she is craving something more substantive. Is I am Setsuna playable one handed (sort of like DQ)? If there is a controll setting so she could play it with just the left JoyCon it would be really great. Anyone know?

I don't think the game works in single joycon or something like that. My wife is playing Snake Pass right now, so I can't check to see what's listed in the options menu.

mstevens

Quick question for you guys - I'm just past the
Timeslave
boss and I still don't really get the whole flux system. I mean, I understand how it works.. but I don't really feel like spending a lot of focus and time on it. Is the game much harder if I just kind of ignore that mechanic?

So far I've just been buying some skills that seem good, upgrading weapons, and leveling a tad. I'm worried I'm going to hit a wall, though, if the flux mechanic is more integral than I think it is.

watershed

Banned
So I bought this game on discount on the Switch and have put in 3 or 4 hours or so. It confirms for me that I am now nostalgic for the PS1 generation in a way that I haven't been in previous years. I think enough time has finally passed. Setsuna basically ticks all the boxes for a jrpg from that era.

The biggest issue I have so far is that some of the sub systems are really poorly tutorialized to the point where I don't understand the flux stuff, cooking, and those talisman bonuses. But otherwise, it's been pretty sweet so far.

gunstarhero

Question - how do you earn money in this game?

I've been to about 4-5 villages now (
just about to leave Kir's
) and can never really buy any of the higher priced weapons and talisman. I do a decent amount of grinding, but I'm not even sure if I'm earning money from fights in this game.

Am I missing something here?

Question - how do you earn money in this game?

I've been to about 4-5 villages now (
just about to leave Kir's
) and can never really buy any of the higher priced weapons and talisman. I do a decent amount of grinding, but I'm not even sure if I'm earning money from fights in this game.

Am I missing something here?

Sell junk. You don't get money from battles. Sell the items you get from the battles for money.

Ghostofst4rm4n

Neo Member
Ah thanks - I'm always scared to sell ingredients and items in case i need them later on.

What do the items in green mean?

All green items are food that can be used in recipes. Once you have the right combination in your inventory and you talk to an npc in towns they will give you a sample of the food created as well as a recipe for the dish. You can take that to any tavern to get the dish remade for cash. These dishes usually offer increased exp when winning a battle as well as buffs and extra item drops.

Anything in green you can hold on to. Sell all the white loot you receive.

Top Bottom