• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am so tired of the whole 30 fps this 60fps that discussion. You all lost the sight on what really matters and it's ruining console gaming

DeNoro

Neo Member
I've never minded stable 30fps. It's not a deal breaker fot me, at all. Horizon 2 I played in Quality Mode and didn't mind one bit.

No matter how powerful next-gen consoles are, devs will ALWAYS find a way to run new games at 30fps. Facts. But the good news is more and more games is getting 60/120fps modes. So, everything is fine, for now :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

93xfan

Banned
All the people acting like Zelda TotK and Starfield is beneath them is ludicrous.

Did they snub their noses at Bloodbourne, Halo (pre 2014) and Destiny 1?

in many ways those experiences have yet to be matched again.

For PvE and single player, 30FPS is acceptable, when the project is ambitious. Pokémon at 30FPS is absurd. Zelda TotK at 30FPS is amazing.

I'm a 60 Fps advocate, and in all the post I've read, I've yet to see anyone ask for 4k/60.

I can't speak for everyone, but from what I can tell, most people know you have to sacrifice for 60 Fps, it's just that most people find it worth it.
Ive definitely seen people get snarky if the gane is sub 4k. Or atleast definitely get snarky if the game is sub 4k at 30fps.because they equate 4k as the most important thing for fidelity modes. Which is also wrong.

And im not sure people understand that it can be a substantial sacrifice, in some cases a generational one at times.

Thyuda

It's 2023 and people still argue in favor of 30fps. I tried the FF demo yesterday on my Samsung QD Oled, the 30fps mode was simply put rancid.

Even my wife, who is one of the most untechnical people I know, prefers 60fps every time I show her the comparison in a new game. I don't even mention what's different, and, without fail, she's chosing the 60fps mode.

You're also not goint go notice 4k as much if you sit 3 meters away from it in your living room. Stop accepting and even arguing for an inferior product.

Every new release we have this discussion "oh it's unplayable"...
You forgot playing your fav games on previous platforms?
Games were 60fps until 3D, which started going from 20 to 40, and then we ended up at 60fps there too late decade, even the 360 era for most games outside some early HD struggles. Since PS4 and One we have been running backwards.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Games were 60fps until 3D, which started going from 20 to 40, and then we ended up at 60fps there too late decade, even the 360 era for most games outside some early HD struggles. Since PS4 and One we have been running backwards.
backawrds? framerates after 360 and ps3 are much more stable if not straight up 60.
To have a stable 30 fps game on 360 would be considered a dream scenario lol.
And while technically nes/snes were 60fps for most part, the games animations and graphics of course updated at a lower rate sometimes. But input lag was 60fps, so correct there

DeaDPo0L84

All the people acting like Zelda TotK and Starfield is beneath them is ludicrous.

Did they snub their noses at Bloodbourne, Halo (pre 2014) and Destiny 1?

in many ways those experiences have yet to be matched again.
As someone who has nearly 2k hours in Destiny the experience was surpassed when I played on m+kb @ 120fps and 4k. That's what people aren't getting, higher framerate can make a game go from being bearable to actually enjoyable and feel lioe an entirely different game.

We should always be pushing technology forward, just because something was suitable years ago should not be an excuse to roll over and accept that'll be the norm forever.

Again if you enjoy 30fps, nobody is taking that away from you, from the looks of it you'll be getting more of it if you're a console exclusive player. But people need to stop defending it like it's not a drastically different experience from 60-120fps, that's objectively false.

Rac3r

Nothing wrong with people having a preference for 60 FPS and expecting an option for it in 2023. At the end of the day, 30 FPS hasn't stopped certain games from selling millions of copies to being critically acclaimed (e.g. Bloodborne, TLOU2, Zelda). You obviously made this post as a response to the Starfield news, and well, no one has gotten a bigger pass than Bethesda when it comes to bug-riddled games, due to their scope and complexity. They'll be fine.

I do agree with what you said about motion blur though. People dismiss it too easily these days. It's awful for competitive games, but can be a great option in single player, 30 FPS games. Before Horizon's 40hz mode, I played it in quality at 30 FPS with motion blur enabled. Felt fantastic.

backawrds? framerates after 360 and ps3 are much more stable if not straight up 60.
To have a stable 30 fps game on 360 would be considered a dream scenario lol.
You're talking about the early HD struggles I mentioned, years in 60fps was much more common for more complex games than the previous gen which also 60fps focused. Any games still 30fps were stable.

OnePS4 era started with some games at 30fps with dips. 60fps locked was a constant problem so games aimed for 30fps or if they were 60fps were often unlocked. The more complex the games got the worse thing were for the hardware that's why both companies released new hardware in the middle of the generation.

Now this era we have the GPU but not the CPU balance are the era of 60fps being plentiful for major titles is again out of grasp.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
This shows you never understood my previous post then.
I am saying that moving from console to pc with less than a 3080 is kinda a waste. You move to pc to have a significant upgrade. Not only barely better.
This shows you never understood PC gaming. It's just so much more. I can't believe what I'm reading holy fucking shit.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This shows you never understood PC gaming. It's just so much more. I can't believe what I'm reading holy fucking shit.
are you joking with me right now?
I never understood pc gaming?!

YOU SURE YOU WANT TO GO THERE?!
From s3(I have like 4 of these even now), 3dfx, gefore2,3,4,fx,radeon cards... 8800 and so on so on so on.
you are talking to a person who spent all his growing life religiously pc gaming. I have a history of it. I've build more computers than you have probably even seen, at a younger age than your brain apparently is.
I even recently rebought my 3dfx diamond voodoo1 and I have a few 1995-1999 computers which I've only few years ago put together.
You really don't think I didn't spent years modding and tweaking? I am still the guy who builds computers for all his coworkers mind you.
How much time did you spent in morrowind editor? Because I spent hundreds of hours there. [DOES THAT CLASSIFY ME AS PC MR GAMER ?]
I am not posting pics of my builds and history now. not today. I am not eating the bait that hard :messenger_tears_of_joy:

What kind of bullshit is that. Where is the metric to "understand" pc gaming. Is it 600 steam games maybe? Or is it 700? Which number do I have to have finished to be a pc gamer?

For me, there was this moment, when just playing the game on a console was nice, relaxing experience. A different experience to usual pc stuff. helped a lot that games on early 360 were exclusive and very impressive.
I kinda reexplored my gaming habits after getting a 360. After which I returned to pc gaming until ps4 and now 5. I now have both pc and console and game on both.
it's not that my pc experience was bad. It was always good and I remember my teen days great. It's just that I also remember my console days great. it was just about playing and finishing games without any other care. I learnt to kinda loosen up and don't care as much if it's 59 or 60fps you know. Not that it was overbearing but it's a nice change.
I just don't care much for settings and modding as much nowadays. I still find comfort in just playing the game on console without activating my ocd and wasting time which becomes more and more precious by the year...
Of course when I play on pc I take full advantage. Why not. I am playing modded ff7 right now for example.

Unless you are talking about using pc for "all the other things" to which I answer that it's a different topic. I obviously write to you know from my PC lol. I've got work pc for excel if that's what you are asking about. Obviously I am not working on a ps5.

edit: I might have some trouble exploring my "gaming identity" but recently I am finding myself more on the chill console side rather than annoying pcmr. Not that it has anything to do with this topic or 30fps mind you.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

OP, thats all bullshit. 30 fps never felt good to me. Even on older consoles. Just cause a standard has been there for a long time doesnt mean we cant move on.

60 fps has so many benefits, more fluid motion, better input handling, more responsive handling. 30 fps needs neds to die. GTFO here with this 30 fps is ok bullshit. Its 2023, these current consoles are more than capable of doing 60 fps - if it takes a year longer to do do, then so be it!

But dont sit there and say 30 is acceptable, its not. Especially if it's the only option - thats completely backwards.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

edit: I might have some trouble exploring my "gaming identity" but recently I am finding myself more on the chill console side rather than annoying pcmr. Not that it has anything to do with this topic or 30fps mind you.
trans-hardware non-binary fps conformist

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
S
OP, thats all bullshit. 30 fps never felt good to me. Even on older consoles. Just cause a standard has been there for a long time doesnt mean we cant move on.

60 fps has so many benefits, more fluid motion, better input handling, more responsive handling. 30 fp needs neds to die. GTFO here with this 30 fps is ok bullshit. Its 2023, these current consoles are more than capable of doing 60 fps - if takes a year longer to do do, then so be it!

But dont sit there and say 30 is acceptable, its not. Especially if the only option - thats completely backwards.
It wasn't my exact intent to convince people to like 30fps.
I just wanted to highlight, that however you play, you should not forget what it is all about and not fixate on some stuff too much.
30fps is ok for me but as I've said... depends on the game. Demons Souls feels AWFUL in 30fps. I tried really hard and its so hard to play

simpatico

Just take a few minutes in reflection and extrapolate where console gaming is going in the next 10 years. It will all make sense.

I would 100% build a pc if I could use it like a console. If I could have a wireless controller where I can drop onto my chair, power it up, go to games, I’m in. But to knowledge I can’t, can I?

I’m wondering if I could just use a long hdmi cable (as a work around and put the computer somewhere more accessible?) or would that create lag or other issues.
You absolutely can use a PC like a console connected to your tv with a long HDMI cable. Steam Big Picture mode is awesome now, just like the steam deck. If you have other launchers, you can combine them all with Playnite and that is also awesome.

99.9% of the people in the world don't even know what FPS is. So agreed, it doesn't matter at all. A shitty game is a shitty game even if it plays at 120 fps. Notice people only complain about FPS for the "good" games

OverHeat

« generous god »
Every new release we have this discussion "oh it's unplayable"...
You forgot playing your fav games on previous platforms? Your best games were or still are 30fps and you had a blast playing them.
Remember how much fan you used to have with games.
How much you were in awe of new graphics.
Remember the hard boss which required a very fast input response which you had no problem beating in old 30fps games.
To say all of that doesn't matter anymore is nonsense.
I know the argument "but the time moves forward and things change". Yes... and no. Fun never changes. Only your standards do but don't fool yourself, you can't have fun again. Don't become a slave of your standards.
The argument that new tech is more demanding is valid of course. yes, 4k tvs will expose how shitty 720p games look or oled tvs will expose judder at 30fps... but that's only a part of it.

Just because you somehow only now in 2022 discovered 60fps, does not mean the world has ended and "my eyes hurt" when playing at 30fps. It's crazy and shortsighted. just play for 10 minutes.

Let's also not forget. 30fps is not all created equally. Demons Souls 30fps mode got 75ms more input lag than 30fps in bloodborne.... which is snappier than some 60fps gamest this gen.
yes. Bloodborne traded some frame pacing for that fast input response... but so what? It's still the best game ever probably. We played the shit out of it and never once we cared for some stutters here and there... or 30fps at all.
(towards end of the vid it's explained why bloodborne feels so good):

Then there is this huge attack on motion blur and other effects because pcmr said so. I don't know if people still think of motion blur as that gta3 effect. No it's not it. We are talking about a positive, high quality effect.
These methods were invented to improve the experience. Sure, they can go overboard at times but 30fps with good quality motion blur feels 10x better. Remember Lost Planet? exactly.
And especially now, in times of oled, 30fps without motion blur is very juddery.
Take a look here. It's camera and shutter speed so not exactly the same but the point is, if you have low qty of frames, you need each frame to capture the motion that happens in the time the frame is displayed. Not to have each frame be a time freeze picture.

And I got too technical again... and that proves my point. Who cares about any of that? Why does it matter? Don't we just want to play a breathtaking game?
I am gaming for 30 years. I had crt monitors (still have), 240hz monitors, 144 hz monitors compared a lot of gear side by side, spent hours and hours setting .ini files. It is all a time wasted not playing.
You think I remember Dark Souls 1 as a terrible low fps experience it would be nowadays? No. I remember it as a game that changed my life.
You think it bothered me that edf 2017 runs at 10fps in coop during last few missions?! No.... ok a bit but it was so much fun. I remember drinking and having fun with my friend.

Worst case scenario, we are getting very nice and stable 30fps on some games this gen and people still riot.
Remember... it's all about the game. It's all about the experience. You can have a good experience at 30fps. You had good experience at 30fps for past 20 years. You can do it. You just need to give yourself a chance and if the game is not broken, it's fine.

Disclaimer - I am not saying 60,120,240fps is not better. of course it is. But it's not the point of gaming. The point of gaming... is to have an experience and enjoy yourself. If You are avoiding 30fps games because it is unplayable, it is a total nonsense. To discard a possibly ground breaking games. To discard your maybe new favorite games because the fps is not 60? Say goodbye to ever playing dark souls when it release, uncharted games, gears, gta games...
Yeah, I finished tlou2 and death stranding on ps4 at 30fps.... and I will finish them again at 60fps as it released. But the 30fps was needed at the time to created the experience.
If You still can't deal with that... just please, get a pc and enjoy your passion there.

Tech evolved…deal with it

Fbh

While I agree 30fps isn't "unplayable". I still vastly prefer 60fps, I wish all devs focused on 60fps and hearing a game is 30fps is always disappointing even if it isn't a dealbreaker for me.
Generally I think 30fps feels a bit more acceptable when a game is doing something exceptional, like TotK has a more interactive world and better physics than most games on much more powerful hardware, or Starfield has a massive world while probably still doing that Bethesda thing where you can drop an item then come back 200 hours later and it's still there.
But if all you are bringing is better graphics attached to the same 15 years old game design then I'm probably going to wait for a sale. I don't care how amazing that Ubisoft Avatar game looks, if it's 30fps and just plays like every other Far Cry from the last 10 years then the 30fps aren't worth it IMO.

Also I don't agree with the premise of the OP that we shouldn't raise our expectations or embrace new standards because "we still enjoyed games running below this standard before".
I loved Ocarina of Time back then, I'd never buy a game running at locked 20fps now
I loved Shadow of the Colossus back then, I'd never buy a game that runs fights at 15-20fps now.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
99.9% of the people in the world don't even know what FPS is. So agreed, it doesn't matter at all. A shitty game is a shitty game even if it plays at 120 fps. Notice people only complain about FPS for the "good" games

So, people "don't know what FPS is" = people are ignorant = framerate doesn't matter and you're right = validates your bias).

Do I have that right ?

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
My biggest problem about 30 fps , it's not locked and most likely run between 25 to 30 fps ,and don't forget about awful frame pacing and input lag

Last edited:

Shh

Most people that play video games know what framerate is, or at the very least, understand the concept of their game lagging. Lagging is annoying to anyone that plays video games. The fact that 99.99% of the people that don't play games have any idea about framerate is completely irrelevant.

oldergamer

It's console warring, nothing more than selective outrage. There will be more 30fps games in the future for both platforms as the generation progresses. You better believe that the toughest games runing Unreal Engine 5 using Lumen and nanite, will be outputing at 30fps at resolutions of 1440p and lower.

Remember how everyone was going bananas for this? Where was the outrage over the 30fps? Selective outage at it's finest. And I get that UE5 looks amazing, but no one is asking if Starfield is or will be an amazing game at the end of the day, the only concern is the framerate, without knowing what would otherwise need to be changed.

The matrix reloaded demo too. Looks great and was 30fps.

nkarafo

30 fps is absolutely fine for the vast majority of games

If you’re not a twitch shooter, it’s totally unnecessary
60fps is absolutely necessary for the vast majority of games.

If you're not a static screens point & click adventure, 30fps is totally limiting. And even there, 60fps makes the pointer smoother and more responsive so...

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
At what cost though?

As in money? I’ve been doing this for several years now, upgrading different parts at times as needed. Selling older hardware pay towards new hardware.

Back when I was on consoles, I used to buy all three, so if anything I’m saving money.

Banned
That's not true at all. This is the cable I'm using. 15 meters, full 2.1 support.

HDMI 2.0 is now also called HDMI 2.1 btw, so always be aware of that.

cable specs are not advertised through HDMI version numbers, but through multiple different naming schemes.
the fastest is Ultra High Speed, which can do 4k120hz and 8k60hz.

but yes it seems to support 4k120hz.

while I don't speak dutch, as a german I think I can deduce that that's a fiber optic cable (I assume Glasvezel means the same as Glasfaser)

does VRR work with fiber optic cables? also, are there any issues with power delivery?

I never used a fiber optic HDMI, all I know is that you shouldn't bend them more than absolutely necessary as to not break the fibers inside.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

You absolutely can use a PC like a console connected to your tv with a long HDMI cable. Steam Big Picture mode is awesome now, just like the steam deck. If you have other launchers, you can combine them all with Playnite and that is also awesome.
Not familiar with playnite. Any info you can share?

I remember I was once playing a game and it was the best game of all time, but then it dropped to 59 FPS for a second and I was furious, instantly uninstalled and gave it 1 star, sometimes I just stare at a black screen that's at 240fps and it's amazing, why play games when you can play framerate?

nkarafo

I remember I was once playing a game and it was the best game of all time, but then it dropped to 59 FPS for a second and I was furious, instantly uninstalled and gave it 1 star, sometimes I just stare at a black screen that's at 240fps and it's amazing, why play games when you can play framerate?
Is that what the 59 in your nick represents? Man, that must have been a traumatic experience.

93xfan

Banned
Every game should have 60fps option on ps5 and Xbox, if you the want the best graphics, then use 30fps mode, simple
Not necessarily. Some games aren’t as simple as a downscaled res and may be pushing other bottlenecks such as the CPU or RAM.

Starfield is quite ambitious, and if focusing only on 30FPS is the better way to use their time, then so be it.

Honestly, I’ll bet a lot of this is about how shitty 30FPS looks on most modern Displays. My jaw dropped when I first saw Forza Horizon 4 on a 4K TV zag 30FPS in a Microsoft store. It honestly made me ask what was wrong with the TV settings to the store clerk.

I game on a 1080p plasma, and if I didn’t, I might join you all in your disgust of 30FPS.

Apocryphon

Starfield thread? 😂

It depends on the game, but I don’t trust Bethesda enough for the combat not to feel like shit.

I would rather see more 1440/1620/1800p40 options than just have 4K30p. The Steam Deck has proven than 40fps is meaningfully more fluid than 30, and many new TVs support 120fps content.

For first party studios especially, including a 40fps mode should be mandatory if the game isn’t going to support 60fps.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Of all the things to be concerned about when it comes to games, the frame rate is one of those at least concerned. As long as it doesn't drop below 30 frames per second, I'm all good.

All I know is Starfield looks like it's hell of a lot of fun and I'm not worried about it going to be 30 fps.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
obligatory

6l2xqbtv32a61.jpg

Cry more, people have standards and 30 fps is piss poor. You may as well settle and eat food from a garbage can instead of a home cooked meal.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Cry more, people have standards and 30 fps is piss poor. You may as well settle and eat food from a garbage can instead of a home cooked meal.

Seethe and cope.

You're right about standards though - Anyone willing to sacrifice GAMEPLAY, FIDELITY and SCOPE in the name of .... input lag (lmfao)... Has no standards.

This is another game dev coming out and saying get ready for more 30fps games.

Last edited:

JayK47

If someone wants to not play 30fps games, fine by me. They can miss out. I think the developers should be given the artistic freedom to make the game they want to make.

JeloSWE

Every game should be designed for 60fps ground up. Otherwise we could argue that 30 fps looks bad as we gould have gone for 20 or 15 fps. I simply draw the line at the excellent looking and feeling 60 fps, 30 fps just have terrible motion clarity and a always a minimum of terrible 34 ms input lag.

Top Bottom