• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I bought PS5 from scalper (just for system-seller Ratchet & Clank) and here is funny thing about it...

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If you “hate it” you wouldn’t be buying off a scalper. The problem is not the scalpers, it’s the people willing buy from them. It’s just a video game console… Ratchet & Clank will be perfectly playable in a year.

I'm against scalping, but I don't think it's that simple. If other people with extra money are willing to buy from scalpers, and you put a hard line in the sand and refuse, it might just mean you get no console, and at this rate for a long time. Easy to say, harder to do, as long as the guy down the street doesn't mind paying more.....

baphomet

That's odd considering the main big box retailers left aren't even selling them in stores. Strange they would be getting shipments of them for an item they don't sell.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.

Ps5 drop incoming?

Hinedorf

Banned
We scheduled meeting with scalper around his apartment in the center of the city, and he came out to me wearing an uniform of big media retail chain.
He gave me the PS5 and I paid, and since it was obvious he got out for a break from work just to sell me the console he scalped, he explained that each time there is new shipment of new consoles coming, all of the workers of this retailer split all the consoles between them and sell with great profit.
Man, I hate it, this should stop but now it makes sense why there is barely any console available at the original price.

The dumbest part about this story is you actually bought a PS5. For what? Ratchet and fucking Clank? For a souls game you could've been playing? For a vibrating controller?

There is absolutely NO REASON to buy a PS5 from a store let alone a scalper for what Sony has given to the console since release, that's why Sony is laughing all the way to the bank pushing everything to 2022, so many fools buying a console with nothing to play and somehow the consumers already know this......

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
I just scored an 11th ps5 to give to a friend for his little brothers birthday. I should honestly just sell at cost plus shipping here on GAF cause I have such luck with them and I hate reading stories like this.

OverHeat

« generous god »
PS5 is too good to skip at this point. If I didn't get it for retail price would happily throw up to $2000.
Bo I agree with you on a lot of point but there is not enough games to justify 2000$ at the moment. Maybe 1000$ ;)

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
We scheduled meeting with scalper around his apartment in the center of the city, and he came out to me wearing an uniform of big media retail chain.
He gave me the PS5 and I paid, and since it was obvious he got out for a break from work just to sell me the console he scalped, he explained that each time there is new shipment of new consoles coming, all of the workers of this retailer split all the consoles between them and sell with great profit.
Man, I hate it, this should stop but now it makes sense why there is barely any console available at the original price.
This shit's straight robbery.

Justin9mm

No offense but the only way to stop this is to not buy from scalpers.
Yeah but getting the world to actually stop it is impossible. Why should he miss out or be the one to not do it when he can't make a difference.

You can't stop a worldwide problem with that simple solution, otherwise we would of conquered world hunger.

You will never be able to get people to do the right thing, the human race is shit.

It's the companies and retailers that need to come up with better processes and solutions for consumers to make it more fair.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I wish nothing but ill and misfortune upon each and every degenerate sack of crap that tries to buy up items just so they can sell them at a profit to other people.

I get that it is nothing new but all of the scalping going around with this latest console generation is just disgusting. And honestly I think the makers are not doing enough to put a stop to it.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Scalpers sucked. Just keep looking every day and you will find it. I looked for 2 weeks and found mine a month ago using playstation direct.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
The other part of the problem is the morons paying the scalpers. Do not support that bullshit!

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Yeah but getting the world to actually stop it is impossible. Why should he miss out or be the one to not do it when he can't make a difference.

You can't stop a worldwide problem with that simple solution, otherwise we would of conquered world hunger.

You will never be able to get people to do the right thing, the human race is shit.

It's the companies and retailers that need to come up with better processes and solutions for consumers to make it more fair.

So voting is useless because a single vote cannot win an election. And giving to charity is useless because your single gift cannot prevent misery... that kind of reasoning lead to nothing matter so i should not try is a poison.
It's not always easy but people should thrive to live in a better world, and that begun with stopping doing things that contribute to the problem, imho, whether you got the money or not.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

So voting is useless because a single vote cannot win an election. And giving to charity is useless because your single gift cannot prevent misery... that kind of reasoning lead to nothing matter so i should not try is a poison.
It's not always easy but people should thrive to live in a better world, and that begun with stopping doing things that contribute to the problem, imho, whether you got the money or not.
Those are completely different situations lol.. There is a collective process for those situations.

Show me how you are going to collate and track every single person in the world selling something to someone. If we went by your thought process, we would of stopped drug dealing on the streets etc. Even if 1 million people decided not to buy from a scalper, does that stop the problem? No

The change starts at the manufacturer and retailer not the end consumer. Use your brain.

Your solution to stop buying from scalpers is a form of victim blaming.

Last edited:

Codes 208

The kid I bought mine from was nice. It was a $100 increase over the Msrp but he claimed he had gotten luck y to buy a PS5 but hadn’t opened it (which he didn’t, it was def sealed) due to realizing he bit off more than he could chew when a car bill came up.

that said $600 for a physical PS5 when it seems like every time I usually check it’s around $750-900 was a good deal.
To think all this because I wanted to play demon souls again. And ratchet. (But mostly demon souls)

dorkimoe

lol all the scalper hate. Yeah it sucks, but good god people calm down. All of you acting like you wouldnt flip something for a profit, keep telling yourself that.

I would still report him somehow to corporate, but dont go kill him like half the thread suggested.

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Its still the same running and jumping and shooting shit with a gun weve been doing forever. It isnt breaking any new ground at all.
Fine by me. I've never played the earlier Ratchet and Clanks. I like playing Jak and Daxter, so that sounds fun to me.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Those are completely different situations lol.. There is a collective process for those situations.

Show me how you are going to collate and track every single person in the world selling something to someone. If we went by your thought process, we would of stopped drug dealing on the streets etc. Even if 1 million people decided not to buy from a scalper, does that stop the problem? No

The change starts at the manufacturer and retailer not the end consumer. Use your brain.

Your solution to stop buying from scalpers is a form of victim blaming.
Drug dealing on the street has other factors like poverty and addiction. And if 1 million people stopped buying from scalpers the problem could be effectively solved, actually.
I'm talking about personal responsibility. You won't starve if you report your PS/Xbox acquisition a year, and you won't give money to a guy robing you and others in your face.

This sounds fabricated. I’m sure it happens, but you would have no problems saying the retail chain if it was true. Unless you in fact work there.

Last edited:

HF2014

Boss could also take a cut of the profit, and maybe hide a bit of this? I remember the compagny i was working was selling consoles like Wii, PS3 100-200$ over the suggest price. Consumers were not happy, but again, its a suggested price. Its not illegal if gamestop like decide to sell an item higher than the MSRP price. Just wont give them good publicity for consumers who bought for higher price and will remember not to come to this place after.

And no, im not on the side this is ok to be done, but what can we do, supplies vs demands make it happen.

qiqiqiiq

Here in Mexico the normal PS5 goes for around 700 as the official price, and is available quite often, the digital one is a little more rare and retails for about 575 dollars, I recently sold my digital PS5 and bought the disc version for 650 dollars because I had a coupon, so OP really overpaid for the digital version.

Justin9mm

Drug dealing on the street has other factors like poverty and addiction. And if 1 million people stopped buying from scalpers the problem could be effectively solved, actually.
I'm talking about personal responsibility. You won't starve if you report your PS/Xbox acquisition a year, and you won't give money to a guy robing you and others in your face.
Yeah you've missed the point but ok.

Making a decision to not buy from a scalper and victim blaming the person buying from the scalper is not the solution and if you can't figure that out then I can't help you.

Scalpers suck, but gamers are big time suckers. They're already buying multiple copies of the same game in the form of "remasters", why not pay nearly double MSRP for hardware?

Last edited:

Rickyiez

The suggestion here to not buy from scalpers is annoying . Not everyone is lucky enough to buy the console officially from retail , especially here in my country.

"Play R&C next year" , "You buy from scalper just to play Ratchet?" , "Be patience and save money" yada yada yada

Without knowing the context , please STFU and be considerate . Some people stuck at home just wanted something to play during this pandemic , and there is no other choice others than scalpers .

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The suggestion here to not buy from scalpers is annoying . Not everyone is lucky enough to buy the console officially from retail , especially here in my country.

"Play R&C next year" , "You buy from scalper just to play Ratchet?" , "Be patience and save money" yada yada yada

Without knowing the context , please STFU and be considerate . Some people stuck at home just wanted something to play during this pandemic , and there is no other choice others than scalpers .

Yes there is. All those amazing ps4 games you didn’t get to play.

ZywyPL

Banned
OP and his thread:

BptVE1JIEAAA3dT.jpg

Orta

Banned
You should have recorded him and demanded the ps5 for nothing or you would show his employers the video.

Last edited:
Top Bottom