• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I bought PS5 from scalper (just for system-seller Ratchet & Clank) and here is funny thing about it...

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I paid £75 over retail for my Disc based PS5, didn't give a shit cause I can easily afford it so it was no biggie, worth it to see the look on the wee lads face when he seen it though AND to play my PS4 backlog without the annoying jet engine noise from my old Pro, the situation is what it is and well done to those who managed to snag one retail but some of us just can't be fucking arsed sitting at a computer screen at 4am clicking refresh or checking twatter every 5mins

RPSleon

LOL. I have a RRP PS5 and won't even spend the extra £10 to get that game. As much as i want it. Waiting till its £60.

The lack of willpower is astonishing. Cant imagine ever bowing down to pay extra for these things to some scrote who will rub it in your face that youre being robbed.

Rickyiez

Yes there is. All those amazing ps4 games you didn’t get to play.
What if that certain someone already finished all the ps4 games they wanted to play ? Or just not interested in some of the games . I love dark & gritty games like Tlou2 , Bloodborne , Sekiro , God of War , Ghost of Tsushima but I don't assume everyone to appreciate it . There are peoples out there like my friend who prefer more colorful and brighter games like Ratchet & Clank and just wanted to enjoy it with their kids . Never generalize target audience out there based on your own preferences .

John Wick

We scheduled meeting with scalper around his apartment in the center of the city, and he came out to me wearing an uniform of big media retail chain.
He gave me the PS5 and I paid, and since it was obvious he got out for a break from work just to sell me the console he scalped, he explained that each time there is new shipment of new consoles coming, all of the workers of this retailer split all the consoles between them and sell with great profit.
Man, I hate it, this should stop but now it makes sense why there is barely any console available at the original price.
You were dumb enough to buy a console from an employee of an electronics retailer at above rrp?
You should just stop there.........

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
What if that certain someone already finished all the ps4 games they wanted to play ? Or just not interested in some of the games . I love dark & gritty games like Tlou2 , Bloodborne , Sekiro , God of War , Ghost of Tsushima but I don't assume everyone to appreciate it . There are peoples out there like my friend who prefer more colorful and brighter games like Ratchet & Clank and just wanted to enjoy it with their kids . Never generalize target audience out there based on your own preferences .

You know what, I don’t want to get in an argument. But I’ll tell you there’s a loooot of games on PS4.

A lot.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Yeah you've missed the point but ok.

Making a decision to not buy from a scalper and victim blaming the person buying from the scalper is not the solution and if you can't figure that out then I can't help you.
Well you're saying that only manufacturer/retailers can solve the problem, and i'm saying that the least that people can do is to not contribute to the problem.

Tiamat2san

We scheduled meeting with scalper around his apartment in the center of the city, and he came out to me wearing an uniform of big media retail chain.
He gave me the PS5 and I paid, and since it was obvious he got out for a break from work just to sell me the console he scalped, he explained that each time there is new shipment of new consoles coming, all of the workers of this retailer split all the consoles between them and sell with great profit.
Man, I hate it, this should stop but now it makes sense why there is barely any console available at the original price.
If we do this at work and get caught, we are automatically fired.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Go work for retail for a couple of years OP you will be doing the same shit. With that kind of pay

mxbison

Yep.

I was #13 on the waiting list when I signed up in March. They said they get about 3-5 consoles per week.

I'm still on the waiting list....

Last edited:

SenkiDala

That's sad but you, and all the people buying from scalpers, are the only reason why scalpers exists, just don't buy it. I'm pretty sure you can survive a couple of months without Ratchet & Clank...

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
If you “hate it” you wouldn’t be buying off a scalper. The problem is not the scalpers, it’s the people willing buy from them. It’s just a video game console… Ratchet & Clank will be perfectly playable in a year.
According to many in here games are literally for the trash bin after 6 months.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Prove it. Sounds like total bullshit. Why would a store not take note that all items that are in high demand are constantly purchased by employees? This would get them in trouble with corporate if it leaked. Really sounds like bullshit to further the bullshit lies that all units are scalped when it is really only a small fraction that has high visibility because each scalped console takes hours or days to sell whereas ones at retailers are gone in seconds - minutes.

PeteBull

I fully understand OP and story isnt bullshit coz here in poland all the "smart" big online stores/chains employers do it too, with ps5(not with xss/xsx, those barely sell anymore), and till recently they did it with basically all midrange/highend/topend gpus.
They arent as obvious like the scalper from the OP story but modus operanti is exactly the same.

Kuranghi

The problem is I bet that behavior is standard among various retailers.

If the retailer says that stuff "isn't allowed", I bet employees still find ways to work around it, just as they always have.

I've worked in a many retail chains in the UK and the dodgier stores/staff will literally find a way to circumvent the company AND staff rules about 14 seconds after they are instituted :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So often staff would just disappear one again and never be seen again and you'd find out through through the bitching-network (There were many app channels just for this :messenger_tears_of_joy: ) that they were using the system against itself, like purposefully damaging the boxed stock (water) in a way that makes it unfit for sale but has actually caused no internal damage, then the stock gets written off and sent back to main depot, but of course they were able to make up 101 reasons why it didnt all get back to the depot

Now that it no longer exists in the store according to the stock system they simply hide the stock in the warehouse and monitor the price on the system, because even when there is no stock it will still keep the listings for posterity for years afterwards and it will constantly reduce (usually halve) the price automatically as time goes on.

So people would wait a year or more and then get a five (5) grand telly for like three (3) hundo (!) and sell it on for beaucoup bucks. Obviously this is borderline criminal action and you meant clever rule-bending stuff, for that they simply do this:

Liase with a warehouse staffer to know the exact moment the product/stock arrives into the warehouse, it takes 30 mins to 4 hours depending on store size and busyness of store to get them on the system so thats plenty of time to call your friends, family and relatives to come to the store and they are standing there when it goes live and can reserve it online/buy it immediately before anyone even knows there is stock. The stock can't be ordered from online because its separate and afaik they no longer allow store stock transfers so it can't disappear that way.

All of this talk about violence toward the scalper. Get a grip. You don't beat someone for a transaction you agreed to do lol.

Anyway, I wish I knew what the problem really was. Semiconductors? Feels like the tech world got caught with their pants down.

MiguelItUp

All of this talk about violence toward the scalper. Get a grip. You don't beat someone for a transaction you agreed to do lol.

Anyway, I wish I knew what the problem really was. Semiconductors? Feels like the tech world got caught with their pants down.
I mean, the mass scalpers really are PoSs, and scalping in general is extremely shitty. But, that's true, lol. If you give them business, you're encouraging them to keep going. So, just don't give them money, lmao.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
People in this thread are hilarious: I bought my PS5 off a scalper for 150 over and regret nothing. If you've got the cash in this environment to afford it why not?

. . . also laughing at the folks who are railing against this but have no problem dropping bones on console bundles or upcharged video cards.

Kuranghi

Well I say there is a happy middle ground here, you beat the shit out of them and take the PS5, then leave cash to cover the RRP + 10% for the pharmacy bill (painkillers) on their crumpled body. Everybody wins!

waquzy

lol, that's a nice made up story mate.

Buying something like a console in person in a public place is kinda dangerous. You can get mugged, the box can be filled with bricks... there are so many negative scenarious to think of. And yeah, buying from scalpers is shitty.
Tell me about it. When we receive PS5's that could only be ordered via online pick up we started putting the consoles in generic brown boxes or large brown paper bags because people would get robbed once they left the store.

It's not really funny when you bought it knowing it is scalped.

But it is funny half of the messages here suggest violence against the perp because they all work out in the Gym and would totally beat up someone in the middle of the street. (I know I wouldn't but I also wouldn't buy a scalped PS5).

Scalping happens when there is not enough supply and people are desperate for a product, so the OP is obviously okay paying above RRP.

That's sad but you, and all the people buying from scalpers, are the only reason why scalpers exists, just don't buy it. I'm pretty sure you can survive a couple of months without Ratchet & Clank...
That's not how supply and demand works. We can't just make a pact, "let's all agree to not pay over MSRP, so scalpers go away".

If demand exceeds supply, this is going to happen. Price is determined where supply meets demand - economics 101. Having a set MSRP, won't ever change that.

Those who are willing to pay more (either with more money, camping out stores, etc), go first. Those who won't sit around for 6, 12, 18 months without the product and talk about how much smarter they are.

I got my PS5 by camping out to preorder and my Series X by just being lucky. If I hadn't, I would have paid scalpers.

The one good thing about scalpers is it allows those who are willing to pay more, have first dibs, instead of it coming down 100% to luck. With or without scalpers, the number of consoles available on the market isn't changing.

you blame them but they do it because people like you will buy it from them. i'm not gonna be mad at people for trying to make some money. you're coming on the internet moaning about them but you're enabling them. i think scalping is a shitty thing to do but it is what it is. if they make some money then good for them but i'm not gonna help them do it. could i afford to buy a PS5 from a scalper right now? yeah but i'm not doing it. i choose to wait.

some people are just so impatient and want a shiny new toy NOW. honestly there's no rush to get a PS5 right now. unless you're desperate to play a glorified demo, a remaster of an 11 year old game, ratchet & clank which only lasts 10-20 hours, or Returnal. if there were a good amount of solid exclusives then i'd get the rush to find a PS5 but you could easily wait a year or two before jumping in. being realistic even if you play all those games your PS5 is gonna be sitting gathering dust for a while unless you're playing PS4 games on it ... which you could just play on a PS4.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I'm against scalping, but I don't think it's that simple. If other people with extra money are willing to buy from scalpers, and you put a hard line in the sand and refuse, it might just mean you get no console, and at this rate for a long time. Easy to say, harder to do, as long as the guy down the street doesn't mind paying more.....
I agree with you, of course. I just don’t understand why people complain about scalpers and then turn to them for supply. I wouldn’t purchase from a scalper, personally, but they don’t bother me at all. Go get your money!

iJudged

Banned
E yo OP.....
Naturi Naughton Lol GIF by Power

I will never understand the hate for scalpers. If anything they are just smart business people who understand the supply and demand.

If you had or were able to get 3 or 5 ps5s in your possession at MSRP and then resell at double or more. You would do it. Shut the fuck up with this scalper shit. You all are fucking fake as fuck and you know it. Yeah, right, like you wouldn't want to make 1000s of easy dollars if you had the opportunity too.

Last edited:
I will never understand the hate for scalpers. If anything they are just smart business people who understand the supply and demand.

If you had or were able to get 3 or 5 ps5s in your possession at MSRP and then resell at double or more. You would do it. Shut the fuck up with this scalper shit. You all are fucking fake as fuck and you know it. Yeah, right, like you wouldn't want to make 1000s of easy dollars if you had the opportunity too.
They don't understand how supply and demand works. The only ones to be upset with are Sony and Microsoft for not being able to meet demand. Of course, that's dumb too, as they've managed to produce quite a few units under a major chip shortage and a global pandemic.

Or be upset at the actual online retailers for not finding a way to get the product to the end customer, instead of further middle men. Also, easier said than done with very little incentive for them to do so.

My best suggestion would be for retailers to sell ONLY bundles. That would make scalping riskier and would also allow the retailer to make more profit, while still selling first to those who are willing to buy these larger packages.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned

Nah it's just greed. They can say it's microchips or semiconductors or framistoles and podanostras like they've been doing but I smell bullshit.

Bluecondor

While I generally agree with the sentiment on here that people's willingness to pay drives scalping and thus should steer clear of scalpers, I can't go 100% with this.

I really want a PS5 (disk version) and if/when demand falls to the point that scalpers are selling them for $600 (i.e. around $100 above retail price), I will probably buy one on Ebay or StockX. At that point, you have to weigh things like the value of paying a $100 premium versus paying $700-$800 for a bundle filled with items you don't want, etc.

For me, it would get really interesting if a game like GTA VI was coming soon, and scalper prices for PS5 were still at $700-$800. While I would be uneasy about paying that much, the prospect of a next-gen GTA VI coming soon would definitely create a sense-of-urgency.

Kokoloko85

Report him and all the employee’s. Then report the retailer to xbox/playstation.

I done the same to a cruddy “Game” employee years ago to both playstation and the main UK branch and he was gone a few weeks later

lucius

I will admit I paid scalpers for the SNES classic and the Dualsense charger, but both cases it wasn’t that much more than what they were regularly selling. With the Switch I was kind of forced into buying a bundle with 3 things I never wanted and hardly used so the forced bundles is almost as bad as the scalpers.

Enjay

Banned
Edit because I most likely won't be clicking view ignored content again anytime soon but it's funny how people believe companies are being completely ethical and not taking advantage of this supposed shortage of whatevers.

Last edited:
Buying something like a console in person in a public place is kinda dangerous. You can get mugged, the box can be filled with bricks... there are so many negative scenarious to think of. And yeah, buying from scalpers is shitty.
This would've been the best scenario & he would've deserved it too.

SenkiDala

That's not how supply and demand works.
Except it is. That's basic, there ARE enough PS5 for everyone willing to buy one, how can I say that ? It's simple : the PS5 sold more than the PS4 during the same time window. Have you seen 6 months of shortages for the PS4 ? No, it was easy to get one at launch, a bit harder for a couple of weeks, then easy again in all shops selling consoles or online.

There are people buying DOZENS of PS5 at once, with bots, they made a bet : "I'm sure people will be willing to pay twice the MSRP for a PS5" and they won, why did they won ? Because people agreed to pay this price. If nobody (or really few) of people did, then those scalpers would be like "argh wtf nobody wants my 900$ PS5s" and will put the price down to 499$.

Until now I see people getting many PS5 to keep seeling them 700/800$ online... It's getting better and better (people really wanting a PS5, enough to pay 600/700 for it are becoming fewer and fewer) though.

Except it is. That's basic, there ARE enough PS5 for everyone willing to buy one, how can I say that ? It's simple : the PS5 sold more than the PS4 during the same time window. Have you seen 6 months of shortages for the PS4 ? No, it was easy to get one at launch, a bit harder for a couple of weeks, then easy again in all shops selling consoles or online.

There are people buying DOZENS of PS5 at once, with bots, they made a bet : "I'm sure people will be willing to pay twice the MSRP for a PS5" and they won, why did they won ? Because people agreed to pay this price. If nobody (or really few) of people did, then those scalpers would be like "argh wtf nobody wants my 900$ PS5s" and will put the price down to 499$.

Until now I see people getting many PS5 to keep seeling them 700/800$ online... It's getting better and better (people really wanting a PS5, enough to pay 600/700 for it are becoming fewer and fewer) though.
Lol, wow. Ok dude. So scalpers are buying consoles when there aren't even enough people buy them at MSRP. Gotcha.

Just like seeing a pallet of evga 3060ti cards being sold in bulk for 82k. How does one aquire 72 cards from the same vendor if not for shady deals by the companies themselves. We ain't getting shit as these companies don't care about stopping scalpers.

Its going to be years before i can get a ps5 or 3000 series card isnt it?

Last edited:

Apeopleman

Employees are unironically the biggest scalpers. At the peak of the nonsense in holiday season 2020, I remember Walmart’s in the US getting PS5s in stores and it was a disaster with employees scalping.

every ps5 you got your hands on was pretty much an easy 200$ straight in your pocket. It’s a no brainer to scalp them unfortunately

reforen

You bought it from a scalper and then you said is this is wrong, thanks to people like you is why scalpers exists

Enjay

Banned

At this point scalpers have made so much money off of this scam they can afford to keep buying them up and keeping the prices high too.

iHaunter

No, but I don't want to say the name.

True, I just couldn't resist this time :/

Well, I don't know why would anyone lie about what just happen, but to be more trustful I can show the photo of my PS5, but yeah I could have it before, so here is my account in playstation network with just RnC in library.
uKo4kxr.jpg
CZ2vNUf.jpg
bruh, why is it in front of your TV.

Top Bottom