• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can no longer play non-VR racing games

Guilty_AI

MenacingAcidicAmericangoldfinch-size_restricted.gif
DIstance must be a motion sickness nightmare in VR

The funny thing about VR racing games is that you drive much, much better in VR. I easily shaved 10+ seconds of my PB times in Dirt Rally 2 once I started to use VR.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

The funny thing about VR racing games is that you drive much, much better in VR. I easily shaved 10+ seconds of my PB times in Dirt Rally 2 once I started to use VR.
I assume it raises your situational awareness. After all it improves your depth perception and looking to the sides feels more natural

DIstance must be a motion sickness nightmare in VR

Grip feels a lot better to me than Distance. But generally most racing games with a controller don’t feel as natural to me. But some are way better than others.

I assume it raises your situational awareness. After all it improves your depth perception and looking to the sides feels more natural

Yes situational awareness goes through the roof as well as FOV and the ability to move your head as needed. Drifting becomes so much easier, I can look right out the window naturally vs kinda guessing what your apex looks like.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
My experience playing Driveclub VR tells me:

- Get a sturdy seating position while playing and use racing wheel.
reason: you end up 'falling' out of the car if your head/body moves too far away from the original seating position, it's weird playing with a DS4 and the motion controls are shit.

- The visuals in DCVR are such a step down that it literally feels like we're back to PS3 or even late PS2 graphics. Totally kills the immersion.

I haven't played any high fidelity VR games yet (only had a short spell with PSVR before selling it on eBay due to lack of games)

Romulus

reason: you end up 'falling' out of the car if your head/body moves too far away from the original seating position, it's weird playing with a DS4 and the motion controls are shit.

- The visuals in DCVR are such a step down that it literally feels like we're back to PS3 or even late PS2 graphics. Totally kills the immersion.

I haven't played any high fidelity VR games yet (only had a short spell with PSVR before selling it on eBay due to lack of games)

Yeah DCVR was during the growing pains years of psvr. Dirt Rally and Wipeout are far superior, but pcvr is at least 2 full generations ahead of that even.

Reactions: 888

so PSVR2 + Wheel? for a full feature combo?

Perhaps. I don’t use consoles for my setup as I have a mix of usb devices that don’t work on console. Maybe something like a fanatec set that has ps4 support that has things like a handbrake, shifter etc that connect directly to it.

OK I am hooked and won't race without VR if possible anymore. I just dropped 1 minute off my PB on the track i've been working on!

I started a snow/ice level and at some point I saw sparks, decided to take a look to see what it was, turned out I was about to role play Ace Ventura for the rest of the track.

RNtLPjE.jpg

INC

Psvr is horrifically blurry, but it still sells the illusion perfectly fine, going from psvr to a rift s on a high end pc, is night and day, its the next gen step, like you said, going from a ps2 game to a ps3+. Gfx aren't close to ps4 levels quite yet, alyx is very close, dlss 2.0 in vr will help that a long tho, just gotta wait for the games to support it

Last edited:
Reactions: 888

supernova8

Banned
Psvr is horrifically blurry, but it still sells the illusion perfectly fine, going from psvr to a rift s on a high end pc, is night and day, its the next gen step, like you said, going from a ps2 game to a ps3+. Gfx aren't close to ps4 levels quite yet, alyx is very close, dlss 2.0 in vr will help that a long tho, just gotta wait for the games to support it

Really? I haven't seen it in VR but from the videos on Youtube it certainly looks up there with a lot of PS4 titles. I thought it looked next-gen almost.

Wonko_C

I personally loved DCVR, I almost didn't give it a chance because I didn't like the original (the controls felt too stiff for my tastes). 60fps and being actually inside those super cars made it up for the graphics downgrade tenfold in my case.

Last edited:

John2290

Same for me, even with the steering wheel it just doesn't do it. Problem is, I'm on PSVR so jokes on me. I was getting away with kart racers along with real arcade style stuff and then Wipeout got its VR patch, eh, at least it saves some money.

Top Bottom