• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I chatted with Ken from XSEED. Nothing big, but something I'd like to share.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Gunloc said:
Do you happen to have the first month numbers handy?

The following DS game first months from January-February 2009 were posted rounded to the nearest thousand units in GAF threads. This is "public" data insofar as I have absolutely no private sources and this was posted in publicly-accessible threads and not removed.

Moon 2000 (Jan)
Big Bang Mini 2000 (Jan)
Retro Game Challenge 7000 (Feb)

Spencer posted an interview with XSEED, with the mention of RGC seems to need to sell 100,000 copies for the sequel to get brought over, and if I'm understanding this correctly, the game has actually sold 80,000, as they need 20,000 more:

OK! Tell my readers how many more copies need to be sold.

KB: 20,000.

JI: 20,000 more? That’s too small. We need more than that.

KB: At least 20,000.

JI: We have to reach 100,000.

KB: OK, that’s a lot more.

Aeana

I don't know the actual numbers, but I'm pretty sure RGC hasn't sold 80,000. What happened there was that one guy said it needs to sell 20,000 more, and another guy said "uhhh, wat? We need to sell a lot more than that [to reach our goal of 100,000]" which means it's nowhere close.

And honestly, 100k for RGC was a pipe dream to begin with. I don't see how it possibly could have sold that much.

Sounds like a tall order. Shame they can't just forge ahead and raise the MSRP enough to offset it or something since seemingly there's a limited, but awesome folk comprised, audience for RGC.

I still say they need to get the damned DVD's out to raise awareness of the lot of it. Complete Season 1 DVD set...just roll it out people!

Aeana said:
And honestly, 100k for RGC was a pipe dream to begin with. I don't see how it possibly could have sold that much.
No doubt. They were really expecting 100k? The game had almost no advertising.

And they want to sell at least 20,000 more copies based just on fan word of mouth? :/

Are all new series going to be expected to pull in such numbers? That's asking quite a lot from their customers.

ElectricThunder said:
Sounds like a tall order. Shame they can't just forge ahead and raise the MSRP enough to offset it or something since seemingly there's a limited, but awesome folk comprised, audience for RGC.
It seems they don't think it's worth continuing the series, despite a loyal core following. I don't know if they should be bringing over niche titles with expectations like that. Seems they might be happier bringing over more mainstream appealing games.

It's a shame because I think they do a good job localizing games, but I'm wary that they might just keep picking up and dropping series because they don't bring in mainstream league sales.

100,000 is absolutely ridiculous. There's really only two possibilities with that number: it's a purposely ludicrous number intended to stand in as a polite replacement for "stop friggin' asking us, we're definitely not doing it," or the deal XSeed cut for the first game was so poor that there was no conceivable way they could have ever done well on it.

KB's estimate there, 20,000 more, sounds much more believable -- that would put them in the broad neighborhood of other DS niche titles.

I think RGC would have really benefited from a TV commercial. The concept is a bit obtuse for people not in the know, and they could have really played up the "retro, but new" factor.

The box art gives the uninformed consumer no clue.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
100k doesn't even seem possible shipping wise. I can't imagine retailers ordering 100k copies of RGC over the course of its life span.

grandjedi6 said:
100k doesn't even seem possible shipping wise. I can't imagine retailers ordering 100k copies of RGC over the course of its life span.

It's not remotely conceivable. Square-Enix hasn't gotten retailers to order that many of almost all of its DS titles.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I wonder how they expect Flower, Rain and Sun to do. I can't imagine the game doing more than 10K. It's insanely niche.

Zihark

No friggin way should a localized ds game need to sell 100k. Makes me wonder about X-seed's other games how much do they need to sell? Oh btw I think 1 of the ds/wii announcements could be RF3 its 80% done according to Marvelous Dream- it just needs to be officially announced:)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
BorkBork said:
I wonder how they expect Flower, Rain and Sun to do. I can't imagine the game doing more than 10K. It's insanely niche.
Since it's another game co-published with MMV and has nothing to do with a real TV show or people, I doubt expectations are anywhere near as high.

t3nmilez

Hmm, too bad about RGC. I didn't buy the first one since I bought the Japanese version around the time it originally came out since I doubted it would come out overseas. When I heard they were localizing it, I decided to wait on picking up the second game to see if it would come out in English. Oh well, guess I'll wait a couple of months and if there's no additional hope, I'll just buy the Japanese version.

Zihark said:
No friggin way should a localized ds game need to sell 100k. Makes me wonder about X-seed's other games how much do they need to sell? Oh btw I think 1 of the ds/wii announcements could be RF3 its 80% done according to Marvelous Dream- it just needs to be officially announced:)

Yeah was that issue the same that mentioned a new HM for DS was it? What else has been in all the issues? There's been what... three or four so far (if it's weekly)? This could give birth to something good, perhaps someone (you perhaps?) should dish out what info each new issue contains ala Famitsu, but maybe it's best to keep it either in one specific thread to be updated weekly (as there's not much in each), or put the info in here I guess!

How often does each issue come out? Hang on, it is a monthly issue isn't it? Nintendo Dream is also monthly right?

I LOLed at the 100K for RGC... I don't even think Dragon Quest does these numbers in the US and SE keeps localizing them..

Zihark said:
Oh btw I think 1 of the ds/wii announcements could be RF3 its 80% done according to Marvelous Dream- it just needs to be officially announced:)
RF3??

Zihark

SilverLunar said:
I LOLed at the 100K for RGC... I don't even think Dragon Quest does these numbers in the US and SE keeps localizing them..

RF3??
Rune Factory 3
Hero- Yeah, I think the mag is monthly like Nintendo Dream-and i believe this was the first issue. The person who got the magazine runs this hm site www.fogu.com/hm which is where I got the info. Also that person is a gaffer. Also Marveous is still working on HM Online:)

Zihark said:
Rune Factory 3
Hero- Yeah, I think the mag is monthly like Nintendo Dream-and i believe this was the first issue. The person who got the magazine runs this hm site www.fogu.com/hm which is where I got the info. Also that person is a gaffer. Also Marveous is still working on HM Online:)

Faved! Thanks! :D

Wada said HM Online wasn't going to be that big at all, like only with what, 4 - 8 players? I think the Wii is certain to be the destination for that one, but we won't know until they announce it. :p

RF3's got to be for the DS, due to the number and that they just released Frontier.

Wish they'd actually get to a new HM for Wii retail, but HM Online could be that. I want t HM for Wii retail that looks like the classics or at least like IoH in character designs and such.

I'm definitely at least renting Animal Parade, I'm quite liking how it looks so far! :)

B.K.

Next time you talk to him, tell him that XSEED needs to do the Tales games that Bandai Namco skips and Xenosaga I&II now that they've managed to get Bandai Namco to license games to them.

Hive

Banned
B.K. said:
Next time you talk to him, tell him that XSEED needs to do the Tales games that Bandai Namco skips and Xenosaga I&II now that they've managed to get Bandai Namco to license games to them.

Yea, please ask about Tales of Hearts and Tales of Innocence.

It makes zero sense why those haven't been localized yet..

B.K.

ShockingAlberto said:
They've specifically said they'd never be able to tear a Tales game away from Namco, even if they have no intention of releasing it.

That was before they became best friends with Bandai Namco though.

duckroll

Little known fact: RGC was known as Tales of Famicom in Japan, and Fragile was released as Tales of Atmospheric Waggle.

I think he was specifically addressing that they are both BN properties, proving that XSEED can bring over games from them.

But yeah, XSEED said that the Tales games are a big no no. And before they said the were looking into Fragile and never really said it wasn't likely to be brought over at all.

They denied Shiren 3 due to the poor sales of the DS game (with THAT cover art, can you blame it?!), but never said it was due to Sega being overly protective of it.

duckroll

But we know other companies can bring over Bandai Namco stuff. Atlus released the SRW OG games on the GBA and the DS. It only becomes a problem when it's part of an IP which Namco already has a stake in like Tales and Xenosaga. There's no point even trying to touch those since it's a waste of time.

duckroll

Hero of Legend said:
What do you mean by "stake"? As in if they wholly own the IP? They completely own Fragile (and RGC?).

As in they have released previous games in the series in the US before, and hence have a good reason to want to keep any future releases either under Namco, or not released at all. :p

jesusraz

Namco Bandai EU has stated that Tales of Hearts is certainly not out of the question, but if it DOES come it won't be until 2010 at the earliest. Considering that fact, it might be worth pressing good ol' Mr. Berry about the Tales games some more. I've been pecking the heads of RSG folks for a while and will chase again in the near future :)

In general, companies don't want outside publishers to take IPs they've already introduced in America without a mutually beneficial deal. I can't think of any exceptions off the top of my head.

duckroll said:
As in they have released previous games in the series in the US before, and hence have a good reason to want to keep any future releases either under Namco, or not released at all. :p

Ah, I see, thanks. :)

TunaLover

I send an e-mail to Ken asking about Latin American game supply.

Here's his reponse

Hello Sebastian,

Appreciate your support from Chile. In terms of our Latin American support, you're right, we're not very good at it. We have one distributor that we know of that sometimes gets our products into Chile, but it's totally up to them on which of our games they decide to sell down there or not.

We'll see what we can do, but like you said the big publishers' games tend to be distributed first, just the way things work despite the best efforts of smaller publishers like us.

I'm cheering for the bold D:

vireland

ShockingAlberto said:
In general, companies don't want outside publishers to take IPs they've already introduced in America without a mutually beneficial deal. I can't think of any exceptions off the top of my head.

Generally correct, but there are exceptions. We did Shining Wisdom which was an offshoot of the Shining series SEGA had already established. There are a few other examples, but they are very, very rare. If the IP has already been introduced and the US branch passes on the latest iteration for whatever reason, there are politics GALORE so it's a Mars Shot to get it licensed by another pub.

jesusraz

For what it's worth, XSEED isn't interested in bringing over the DS Tales games because DS software sales aren't that impressive in the US. RSG, though, IS interested in getting them as the market's much healthier here in Europe. XSEED would rather go after the PSP Tales games that haven't hit the US yet, from what I've been told.

vireland said:
Generally correct, but there are exceptions. We did Shining Wisdom which was an offshoot of the Shining series SEGA had already established. There are a few other examples, but they are very, very rare. If the IP has already been introduced and the US branch passes on the latest iteration for whatever reason, there are politics GALORE so it's a Mars Shot to get it licensed by another pub.
I suppose Atlus getting Polarium Advance after NoA released Polarium DS is a similar case, right?

GhaleonQ

"Hello,

First off, thank you for the kind words and great support throughout the year, it really means a lot to us.

In terms of Inazuma 11, RPGs are tough enough to sell in America as it's considered a niche genre, but combine that with soccer and it would make it that much harder to get support from retailers regardless of how good the games may be."

Look, Atlus and Gaijinworks, you're my last hopes. Please? Please, localize (maybe) the best DS games?

jeremy1456

jesusraz said:
For what it's worth, XSEED isn't interested in bringing over the DS Tales games because DS software sales aren't that impressive in the US. RSG, though, IS interested in getting them as the market's much healthier here in Europe. XSEED would rather go after the PSP Tales games that haven't hit the US yet, from what I've been told.

I suppose Atlus getting Polarium Advance after NoA released Polarium DS is a similar case, right?

Wait wait wait.

You're telling me they'd rather go after the PSP Tales games than the DS ones because they're worried about software sales? When was the last time a PSP game even charted in the top ten?! Three years ago?

Quixzlizx

jeremy1456 said:
Wait wait wait.

You're telling me they'd rather go after the PSP Tales games than the DS ones because they're worried about software sales? When was the last time a PSP game even charted in the top ten?! Three years ago?

August 2009. Whoops.

GhaleonQ said:
"Hello,

First off, thank you for the kind words and great support throughout the year, it really means a lot to us.

In terms of Inazuma 11, RPGs are tough enough to sell in America as it's considered a niche genre, but combine that with soccer and it would make it that much harder to get support from retailers regardless of how good the games may be."

Look, Atlus and Gaijinworks, you're my last hopes. Please? Please, localize (maybe) the best DS games?

GET THAT TO EUROPE THEN!!!!!! WE WILL BUY ANY FOOTBALL PRODUCT!!!

Give me his e-mail, I will send beg for Inazuma in Europe, you will then import.:D

Honestly, with World Cup coming they are crazy for not bringing this over.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
jeremy1456 said:
Wait wait wait.

Last month.
EDIT: Beaten. ;)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
combine that with soccer and it would make it that much harder to get support from retailers regardless of how good the games may be.
i dunno man watch the sales of fifa 10 in the usa. watch

androvsky

jeremy1456 said:
Wait wait wait.

Didn't Dissidia? Anyway, I suspect the niche end of the spectrum might look different than the top 10; when the market is flooded with DS games it might be harder for a smaller game to get noticed on that platform, but when there's nothing coming out for the PSP for several weeks even an average game will get noticed.

GhaleonQ

Castor Krieg said:
GET THAT TO EUROPE THEN!!!!!! WE WILL BUY ANY FOOTBALL PRODUCT!!!

Give me his e-mail, I will send beg for Inazuma in Europe, you will then import.:D

Honestly, with World Cup coming they are crazy for not bringing this over.

Indeed! I included that in the original e-mail (noting that I don't know if they share profits with Marvelous and Rising Star Games, who seem to do the European work). I haven't heard from Rising Star, though. *shrugs*

Top Bottom