• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't understand how to get a PS5 legitimately.

ReBurn

Gold Member
This is how I got mine. My best friend got a similar invite two weeks after I did.

Never had a single moment of luck with any other method between Twitter, Discord, apps, or anything else.
Same. My XSX happened because of a stock drop Twitter and it was part of a bundle. I got lucky because bundles usually last longer because people don't want the extras. I did want them so it worked out. I looked at PS5 bundles but they always came with stuff I didn't want. Then Sony sent me the email invitation. Bought it two days later and it arrived two days after that.

Selling these consoles online only is the most idiotic idea ever. That’s the main reason they are so difficult to acquire. Bots, crashing websites, delivery theft, scalpers, having to stay on your computer 24/7, etc.

You can sell them online, but they should be supplied to stores on a regular basis as well even if it’s a small amount with reservations limiting sales to 1 per customer. Unfortunately, I don’t see things getting any better until around 2023 or even later.

I've had the opportunity to buy a few PS5's but I made sure they all went to friends and family at cost. Now I have friends to play online with and its great. I hope the stock issue is fixed soon but I can't help but feel the scalpers are artificially inflating the market price for these things. I hope Sony makes it flood PS5's and the scalpers have to sell at a loss. Screw those dudes.

Scalpers use bots to buy them, you as a human need a lot of luck to be able to order one. It’s the same here in Japan as well.

That is why I always laugh about the reports which suggest which console is doing better, there is just no way to tell before enough consoles are available for everyone to buy…

60fps, alot of cross gen games is going to run amazingly on next gen console and runs at 30fps on last gen console.

Its more than just visuals, performance are very important.

And Dualsense. I find it hard to even play a lot of ps4 native games without dualsense intergration these days. I can’t wait to see how it feels for Gran Turismo 7, Forbidden West, Ragnarok, Forspoken, etc.

aries_71

I never imagined than more than a year after launch they would be close to impossible to find at normal price. By the time we get these machines the generation will be over.

UK here. Last week I went into GAME early, about 9ish, with the intent of getting an S Series. Unfortunately they were all sold out. I was about to leave when I noticed they had two PS5' (disc version) behind the counter, so I immediately snatched it up. I'm still surprised I was able to just go into a store and get one, I had no illusions of getting one that easily. Like at all.

Last edited:

iHaunter

The last 2 days, I've had alerts on my phone set up for various stores selling PS5s. I've seen alerts for Target, Gamestop, and Amazon.

In one I got into digital line and got nothing. Another was just sold out 2 seconds in. And on another I added to cart but it was gone before I could actually check out (which was a matter of seconds)

They sell out almost immediately.

How are people legitimately getting one without resorting to scalper prices?
Best and only way. GameStop Pro Member ONLY Bundles. They give you 1hr to buy it early. I got 2x for my friends.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Be super active on twitter.

Follow the right accounts (Wario etc).

Pray.

Save payment methods on the big retail websites so you don't spend a lot of time in the check out process, if you manage to get a console in your cart while stocks, so you can be as quick as possible.

Last edited:

Erdrick

It took me until early July this year, but I managed to get ahold of a Disc PS5 via EB Games by simply being put on their waiting list. And I only did that a month earlier in June. Yes, I had to buy an extra item as part of some bundle (I took another DualSense controller since it made the most sense for me.) but after all was said and done, I paid around $818 CDN with taxes included there.

Just go to your local game store and see if you can be on a waiting list or something. Sure, it could still take a while, but at least you'll be in line, so to speak. Just gotta be patient.

Fuck scalpers though.

.hacked

I got mine on a fluke was off one morning, got up early and was a YouTube live vid on my feed of a guy trying to get one on target.com.

45 mins later had one, this was just before thanksgiving. Bother had similar luck next day with a 3060ti doing same thing.

I suggest finding one of these live YouTube streams, and just leave it playing while on a day off if people start going crazy log on and try to buy it.

VN1X

Banned
Yeah I was in a discord group for about a month, did the whole alert thing, constant website refreshing, telegram groups, etc. I managed to get one in my cart at one point but by the time I got to the payment options the website had already crashed.

I'm done wasting my time on any of that shit lol. At this point I'm just going to wait it out and (ie: 2 to 3 years or so) and hope that by the time Sony has their redesign ready that'll also be the time when you can just walk into a store and buy it.

FranXico

Sony should just let people reserve a console and wait til its ready, so fuck em.
Actually, I got mine by registering in a waiting list of a local retailer just before launch. Waited about six months until they emailed me when there was one for me at the store.

My advice is to stay away from automatic systems that can be exploited by bots, just go to retailers with waiting lists and some such, no ordering online.

Last edited:
Solution: Subscribe to all alerts like discord and so on and use a smartwatch that vibrates when you get a notification on your smartphone. You don't have to camp the computer to get one. I could easily buy several PS5.

Soosa

Banned
With some luck and/or patience.

I got 2x PS5 at launch + 2x few weeks later.

It took me maybe 30-40 hours total of stalking stores manually, reading local gaming forums.

I had maybe 6-10 times PS5 on basket, but they sold out before I filled my details on checkout, so about 60% failure rate.

Then I got lucky and were able to order 2 from one store, then later 1 from one and 1 from another chain. I sold 3 extra ones to my friends for what I paid whom didnt want to waste their time as a console hunter.

For comparision:

Series X I got few days before xmas just by walking into a store, because they are now available normally on one chain at least, just walk in and buy one, have been on stock for few weeks now. Series S have been available mostly since the launch.

Of course this is at Finland, and PS5 is still impossible or really difficult to get, maybe even harder than before launch. But, because series x is now available, I guess PS5 will be too in next 6 months, as it is maybe 2-5x more popular than xbox is at here.

The last 2 days, I've had alerts on my phone set up for various stores selling PS5s. I've seen alerts for Target, Gamestop, and Amazon.

In one I got into digital line and got nothing. Another was just sold out 2 seconds in. And on another I added to cart but it was gone before I could actually check out (which was a matter of seconds)

They sell out almost immediately.

How are people legitimately getting one without resorting to scalper prices?
A got a friend with who uses bots. Took me a while but luckily one of my Xbox buddies got me the hookup. Until legislation you need bots unfortunately.

I got mine through this:

That's a USA link, don't know about other countries.
Where are you from? There is also in Europe a Direct PS store website where you can register.
Had my PS5 on the wishlist on 8 diverent stores from Februari, got mine in August from one off them.
You must put some effort in it. But does who have fate and not fall for scalpers will get one.

Last edited:

Kdad

Why the fuck aren't these sites using Captcha to fix this?
Because sites like Walmart and Bestbuy can earn extra profit off the scalpers selling on their market place....they don't really care who gets the first sale but benefit from it a 2nd time if it is a scalper that bought it, that then lists on their marketplace.

Gamerguy84

Because sites like Walmart and Bestbuy can earn extra profit off the scalpers selling on their market place....they don't really care who gets the first sale but benefit from it a 2nd time if it is a scalper that bought it, that then lists on their marketplace.

Best Buy is literally more expensive than scalpers. That makes them scalpers.

They are only selling them to Total Tech members, which costs $200 to join. A lot of scalpers are selling $150 over.

Walmart (I think) is only selling them to Walmart plus members, which costs $13 a month.

Imagine the money these guys are bringing in on these subscriptions. Fucking crooks.

Deft Beck

Every store is heavily botted right now. You have to follow Wario64.

It's so bad right now that I managed to completely order an Xbox Series X through Best Buy before I could even get a PS5 into cart.

nikos

Set notifications from multiple sources, be ready and have your payment/shipping information set up at every retailer.

That said, it’s still difficult but I’ve managed to buy multiple consoles, GPUs etc without a bot.

Valonquar

Saw a post on the 22nd that Gamestops would have stock on the 23rd. Told my friend and she was able to pick up a bundled disc edition PS5. Had extra controller, Ratchet & Clank, Spiderman MM, and Ghost of Tsushima and a charging station. She just walked in th emorning of the 23rd and bought it no prob.

Gamerguy84

Saw a post on the 22nd that Gamestops would have stock on the 23rd. Told my friend and she was able to pick up a bundled disc edition PS5. Had extra controller, Ratchet & Clank, Spiderman MM, and Ghost of Tsushima and a charging station. She just walked in th emorning of the 23rd and bought it no prob.

Lol damn. That's a very nice bundle what was the price on it?

b0uncyfr0

Whats not to understand - you pay money (alot of it) and get a huge spacecraft looking thingie for your lounge room.

Valonquar

Lol damn. That's a very nice bundle what was the price on it?
$799 for everything I believe. Still less than scalpers are charging for just the system. The worst thing I saw was a mom & pop shoe store with 15 PS5s in the window on the 23rd that they marked up to $1500... and there were people chomping at the bit for them.

RaptorGTA

I was able to get one from Gamestop when I was alerted via Twitter Gamestop was going to be selling some...took a few tries with their website to get one.

fWuwWvZ.gif

Neff

Once again, my tips-

1. Sign up to receive alerts from a reputable and efficient source (this will require a little research on your part).
2. Find out when stock is likely to drop, and at which retailers (again, a good alert source will do this).
3. Be prepared to stay up into the small hours, consider taking time off work if you're really keen.
4. Have the larger stores receiving PS5s bookmarked and accessible. For the best chance, create a link to the product page itself rather than a link to the store front page. This will enable you to skip the first few pages while everyone else is racing through.
5. If possible, do your hunting from a desktop PC with ethernet for optimal stability and speed.
6. Be patient. Don't leave your phone/tablet/PC if a drop is about to happen. You can easily miss it (this happened to me).
7. Be signed up and logged in to the store you're stalking. Make sure all your address and payment details are accurate and ready.
8. Don't give up. If you're persistent and smart, and are willing to put in the work, you'll get one.

Your "alerts" are useless spam, OP. Fighting bots is near impossible. If you really want to try your luck doing it "by hand", you should use a browser plugin like distill. Much faster and more reliable than "alerts".

I got two PS5s from alerts, but I'm in the UK and anecdotally speaking it feels like we got a lot more PS5s than anywhere else.

benno

I got mine by searching google for "PS5 UK stock"
the results lead me to twitter stock informer
Checked that out. it informed me a store was getting stock in a few days.
A few days passed I woke early and went to the store online and they were in stock. I bought one. It came as a bundle with a game and controller.

I could have bought another 5-6 since without even trying.

for eg. Just now... have fun. hurry hurry!!

yqsEpf6.jpg
R2nkEqb.jpg

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Where are you from? There is also in Europe a Direct PS store website where you can register.
I know there's a direct store - but there's no option I can find anywhere to register for updates?
I can only manually check stock, which kind of defeats the purpose since it's like any other retailer that's always sold out...

Today I had a PS5 in basket for the first time with a local MediaMarkt but they are running into some ordering issue so it's been in/out of stock for an hour now and I don't think anyone is able to buy anything, as it's the same few stores having 'pickup stock' that you can't finish a checkout on.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's kinda funny becase this is how it was back in the NES/SNES/N64 era of gaming.

You just had to search high and low for games or consoles. Granted, the drought didn't last this long and scalpers were much less of an issue but it's all about the thrill of the hunt!

My brother and I had saved up money for an N64 but we couldn't find one anywhere, we did have Mario 64 though and would just stare at it, lol.

We were outside of our area one Christmas season and stopped at some K-Mart in the middle of nowhere. My brother and I were like, "THIS IS IT, maybe they have an N64 in there!? We're in the middle of nowhere, surely this place has been untouched..." The only thing the K-Mart had for gaming was The Little Mermaid on the NES trapped in a glass case. LMAO. I'll never forget that, too funny.

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: TLZ

Gamerguy84

Lots of drops today for PS5. Target is going to be dropping a lot, should be over the weekend or early next week.

Series X is dropping as well.

Top Bottom