• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I feel like there shouldn't be guns in Red Dead Redemption 2

Should guns be in Red Dead Redemption 2?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
There's a thin line Mister Apoc is walking here. Of course you have the chance to further defend or expand your point. We are waiting for it.
Now i know alot of you thinking, what the heck is this guy talking about well let me explain In the recent black panther spot..there is a scene where the Wakandian Dora Milaje, Okoye an elite warrior says "Guns so primitive" and uses her advanced spear to destroy her enemy

it's interesting to learn that Africans saw guns as primitive weapons when Europeans came over, and they were not really effective weapons

I would like to see a Red Dead without the primitive weapons...no guns, i would like to see a Red Dead that uses more skillful weapons, preferably melee weapons like spears

5b5313332394d20cd7c3c91987529d9dd15a242e.jpg

the recent screenshot dissapointed me when it showed Arthur with a revolver

I know it might be impossible for many, but i was hoping we would get a new type of Red Dead

Dutch, Arthur and the rest of the crew without guns

6cff08109cc9096e816240f6b154f725f4fd17de.jpg

Hm. How about no. Has there ever been a traditional spaghetti western without a revolver or a shotgun?

Dial back your Black Panther hype; you're drunk bro. It's time to put down that bottle absynth, find your pants and catch a taxi home. Your mum is worried.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
...What?

A comic book movie character with a spear I understand. Yeah they look badass but it's a comic film. Not real life. And guns aren't "primitive weapons". Let us fight, you get a spear and I get a gun, see what happens. I get that Black Panther looks hype, but a western without guns? Are you for real?

DiscoJer

You can actually turn a rifle into a spear with this thing called a bayonet.

I think even some pistols had them, though that's a bit silly.

glasiche

Neo Member
Looking forward to rope play in this game (if they include it...?).

If you don’t want to shoot anyone you can tie them up and drag them behind your horse like the ancient Greeks. However, I think if the Greeks had the option they’d probably choose bullets anyways

autoduelist

Yeah, spear fighting in the old west. These threads hurt my head.

This feels like it's an intentionally absurd planted ad for the movie.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
What even...

I think there is a Mr. Plinkett quote that goes over this pretty well:
"No, decapitating people is uncivilised. And I'm also sorry that you're so stupid that you fail to see the obvious tactical advantages of a projectile weapon[...]"

Also, did you just use a line from a movie as a historical fact? Most African chiefs & kings obviously thought guns were pretty cool seeing as it was one of European slavers best assets to buy slaves with for about 300 years. Not sure if they'd have sold off about 30% of their people for something they considered inferior to a spear.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
wtf5.gif

I..ummm, nah I got nothing

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
lol you want a Western-themed third person shooter to have no shooting in it because you liked a scene in Black Panther? It's a strange thought, but alright. I just can't personally imagine this game with spear-based melee combat.

Fbh

I.....what?
Yo want a western where you play as a bunch of bandits, with no guns? ...and they use spears instead ?

Also you realize that under any non superhero context anyone no matter how skilled would get instantly killed if they try to fight against a bunch of people armed with guns using a spear ?
Not that Rockstar games are known for their realism but something this silly would still stand out

lifa-cobex

Just because a Marvil Africans saw guns as primitive weapons. Doesn't mean that they were primitive.
If a need were to ever rise, I would take a gun over a spear.

This is the western front. A bow and arrow would be better than a spear.

Iiiiiit's a bit wired buuuudy.

Geki-D

Banned
yeah they should make grand theft auto without cars too
Yeah, they should have horses instead. They could call it Red Dead Redemption. :D

EDIT: Oh hey! This message didn't need to be reviewed by a mod? Finally done with that stuff, I hope.

Last edited:

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
Yeah, they should have horses instead. They could call it Red Dead Redemption. :D

EDIT: Oh hey! This message didn't need to be reviewed by a mod? Finally done with that stuff, I hope.

Yep you've earned your stripes!i

It's only a temporary thing. We had some signups whose sole intention was to drop a post of NSFW images etc. and then get banner as some sort of badge of honour.

Shifty

Honestly I'd rather see them settle their differences with a nice, civilized game of rock-paper-scissors.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I feel like somebody using a spear telling somebody with a gun that their gun is primitive isn't cool sounding at all but rather pretty ignorant. I also find the notion of a wild west game without revolvers nonsensical.

420bits

If you had posted that you wanted a RDR from lets say native americans perspective where you mainly use bow and arrow, knives etc. I would have understood. But this?

Are you the same guy who said that black panther will dethrone Terminator 2 from the "best action movie ever"? Or did you just do all the drugs at once and decided to post on Neogaf?

Edit: yeah, it was you, seems like you REALLY like black panther in a way I'm not so sure is a healthy one.

Last edited:

Tribal

Neo Member
"it's interesting to learn that Africans saw guns as primitive weapons when Europeans came over."

What?

Last edited:

grumpyGamer

Hm. How about no. Has there ever been a traditional Spaghetti Western without a revolver or a shotgun?

Dial back your Black Panther hype; you're drunk bro. It's time to put down that bottle absynth, find your pants and catch a taxi home. Your mum is worried.
ahahhaah love your comment man.

sorry man but red dead needs guns like we need water, i get it you want a new type of game, but not red dead, the game is perfect as is

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
How would train robberies or bank heist work?

I am always surprised by how some people view Rockstar's games.

OP, they could make another Table Tennis without paddles? :/

Zimmy68

Bravo!
This is another one of those threads (like the Sony should come out with a new portable) that will be hundreds of pages long and I will ask myself why every time I see it on the front page.
Bravo.

Catphish

What kind of thin line is it that the OP is walking? The one on the border of ignorance? Trolling? Lunacy?

So, either this is a troll post or you just are offering a completely unbelievable opinion.

I would argue that you’re essentially making the same argument as “the next WW2 themed COD game shouldn’t feature any guns.”

The gun’s role in the history/film lore being presented in both circumstances is enormous.

Even if there was some conceptual logic to this suggestion, which I’d argue there is not, in order for it to be viable you’d still have to answer a minimum of two major questions. What gameplay element could possibly fill the massive gap left behind by the removal of guns in the old west? As well as, given that even attempting this would be massive commercial suicide, what motivation would Rockstar have to risk the 10’s of millions they’ve invested (and hundreds of millions they are essentially guaranteed to profit) on a zany high concept game where guns have vanished in the old west and are replaced by melee weapons?

I’m all for interesting approaches to old ideas, but this approach is neither interesting nor viable.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
I am not trolling, my point is simply an alternative western without guns..why didn't Rockstar do it?

Last edited:

Perfect. This should have been the first post.

lol @ guns are "primitive weapons" against swords and spears and other melee weapons. You realize that Black Panther and Thor and other Marvel properties have effective melee weapons because they are advanced scifi tech/magic, right? You may as well ask "Why does RDR2 not have flying homing lightning hammers?"

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
Plus I don't see how Wakanda and Black Panther is exactly purely "fictional".. in a sense its what Africa would of looked like without European colonialism

Itachi87

I am not trolling, my point is simply an alternative western without guns..why didn't Rockstar do it?
You realize how silly that sounds right? Western without guns? That's like saying you want GTA without cars. If you're saying you want Rockstar to make a game focused on primitive weapons, then that's fine but I would create a new IP and build the world that around that concept.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
You realize how silly that sounds right? Western without guns? That's like saying you want GTA without cars. If you're saying you want Rockstar to make a game focused on primitive weapons, then that's fine but I would create a new IP and build the world that around that concept.
but even at the time of the western weren't melee weapons still more effective than guns, because guns weren't that good during the 19th century

Sapiens

This a weird attempt at bait.

Plus I don't see how Wakanda and Black Panther is exactly purely "fictional".. in a sense its what Africa would of looked like without European colonialism

Yup. Definitely a troll of some sort. Can't tell if he's trying to be racist or attempting to expose perceived alt-right racism. Either way, don't fall for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom