• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I feel like there shouldn't be guns in Red Dead Redemption 2

Should guns be in Red Dead Redemption 2?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enosh

but even at the time of the western weren't melee weapons still more effective than guns, because guns weren't that good during the 19th century
i know it's a troll, but western is the time of the colt .45 and Winchester 1873, easy to use mass produced cartridge weapons, guns that gave a lot of firepower in the hands of your average joe

Blam

So then it's not Red Dead Redemption? The game based in the Western era? The era primarily known for guns.

I think you want Rockstar to make a more primitive styled game.

neoism

Now i know alot of you thinking, what the heck is this guy talking about well let me explain In the recent black panther spot..there is a scene where the Wakandian Dora Milaje, Okoye an elite warrior says "Guns so primitive" and uses her advanced spear to destroy her enemy

it's interesting to learn that Africans saw guns as primitive weapons when Europeans came over, and they were not really effective weapons

I would like to see a Red Dead without the primitive weapons...no guns, i would like to see a Red Dead that uses more skillful weapons, preferably melee weapons like spears

5b5313332394d20cd7c3c91987529d9dd15a242e.jpg

the recent screenshot dissapointed me when it showed Arthur with a revolver

I know it might be impossible for many, but i was hoping we would get a new type of Red Dead

Dutch, Arthur and the rest of the crew without guns

6cff08109cc9096e816240f6b154f725f4fd17de.jpg
what the fuck 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

there has never NOT been been guns in a "western" setting be it games, books, or movies......

this is like saying im disappointed the next fast and the furious movie with have cars in it... 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Last edited:
Plus I don't see how Wakanda and Black Panther is exactly purely "fictional".. in a sense its what Africa would of looked like without European colonialism
but even at the time of the western weren't melee weapons still more effective than guns, because guns weren't that good during the 19th century

This is a definite troll.
The need of a good sidearm is obvious, but this is most certainly not a replacement for the gun. Some of the natives had guns as well, but mostly it was clever use of formations, tactics, strategy, stealth, poisoned arrows and a good knowledge of the environment that helped them in their resistance. As well as mistakes and hubris on the invaders' part.

pickleslips

If you want to get real, just make the guns shit with a 20% chance they'll backfire and blow your face off for no reason, but dang that'd be a boring game.

Floyd

it's interesting to learn that Africans saw guns as primitive weapons when Europeans came over

So that's why they lost and got colonized. That's what you get for putting the village idiot in charge of the military.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

No. 19th century firearms were very effective. The most common guns you could find in the "Western" era USA were Colt Navy models, the Remington Army and later the Colt Single Action Army. The ball and cap guns were still very effective, accurate and deadly. And they were easy to mod, into cartridge guns. The SAA itself is such a classic design, it's still produced today by multiple companies. It's a classic for a reason.

Again I get that Black Panther looks super good (and man the impressions are great), but you are taking a quote from a fictional character, from a fictional country that owes it's immense prosperity to a fictional meteorite that was filled with a fictional super metal, and you are using that to prop up some bizarre argument that melee weapons are superior to firearms haha. That legit makes no sense.

Last edited:

Barakov

A game where you shoot enemies and are shot back at by said enemies wouldn't work well without firearms.

Codes 208

No. 19th century firearms were very effective. The most common guns you could find in the "Western" era USA were Colt Navy models, the Remington Army and later the Colt Single Action Army. The ball and cap guns were still very effective, accurate and deadly. And they were easy to mod, into cartridge guns. The SAA itself is such a classic design, it's still produced today by multiple companies. It's a classic for a reason.

Again I get that Black Panther looks super good (and man the impressions are great), but you are taking a quote from a fictional character, from a fictional country that owes it's immense prosperity to a fictional meteorite that was filled with a fictional super metal, and are using that to prop up some bizarre argument that melee weapons are superior to firearms haha. That legit makes no sense.
It's such an odd comparison with virtually no connections. But hey, while we're at it Halo is well known and is a pretty cool guy. In one of the older books, an Elite killed some prisoners using a pistol and claimed "ballistic weapons? How primitive."

Should Red Dead Redemption 2 replace all of it's primitive guns with plasma weapons?

Mibuokami

Here ya go OP. An open world game without a gun:

Now leave RDR2 alone... with its guns.

Edit: And as an FYI, there are reasons real life Africa was filled with European colonies for centuries... A big one was that the European had guns and the Native Africans didn't.

Last edited:

D3SCHA1N

I’d be down for removal of guns. They should add swords, bows, dragons, and Night Kings. Also drop the western setting.

Don't forget about having to drop the title as well. I would actually love it if Rockstar created another open world IP in a medieval fantasy setting and made an action-RPG, that would be awesome & I've talked to friends about that for years. RDR should stay gun-centric though, OP is bonkers....

God Enel

To be honest I love the absurdity of this topic more and more. The reactions are really hilarious. Thank you OP. More of this please. 😄

cormack12

Gold Member
OP could have gone all in really. Red dead redemption set in the wild west. From the Indian perspective (red Indian). Could still keep the same title and OP gets spears, tomahawks and bows and arrows.

Cowboys and Indians from the Indian perspective. Ignoring historical accuracy.

Grinchy

Banned
The 2nd yes in the poll is the correct answer. It's sad how all the sheep voted for the first one. What happened to this place??

Mr. Grumpy

Grumpy see, Grumpy do.
This place is getting ridiculous. Can‘t believe so many people fall for this obvious bait...
The 2nd yes in the poll is the correct answer. It's sad how all the sheep voted for the first one. What happened to this place??
Hey, come on now, you two.

Please remember to have respect for people who have vastly different opinions to you, particularly when those vastly different opinions are exactly the same as yours. We welcome all sorts of people here who have voted Yes, even when it is actually the wrong Yes that they've voted for.

Man, Doctor Strange was such a hype movie. I learned that magic is far superior to guns. Maybe we should let cowboys use magic instead of primitive guns...

AOSsCyV.jpg

Your want makes absolutely zero sense to me. I'm quite certain that virtually zero percent of gamers would have wanted Rockstar to go in the direction you wanted for Red Dead Redemption.

Teuoxton

A perfect response to the OP. there's a good reason why modern projectile weapons have largely replaced spears and swords on the battlefield: they are more tactically versatile and effective.

Also a great scene for movie trivia. The actors had trained for a fight scene, but Harrison Ford was feeling sick so he asked if he could just shoot his opponent. Spielberg agreed.
If you want to get real, just make the guns shit with a 20% chance they'll backfire and blow your face off for no reason, but dang that'd be a boring game.
If the game was set in the 1700s you might have a point with this comment. Gun models designed in the Wild West period are still used today with little change and are not considered vastly inferior to modern firearms.

Last edited:
I guess they could make it into a horse racing game then and call it RED HORSE RACING

Then again, horses were seen as primitive and the Africans preferred to ride the superior black panthers. So Black Panther Racing: ReRedemption would be far more fitting.

shpankey

not an idiot
You could just point your finger at an opponent in a gun like shape and make the sounds: Pew, pew pewww.

Of course this will be the honor system and opponents will need to fall down on their own. But it could totally work!

/s

atpbx

This thread should die and the OP be put on probation for behaving in such an exceptional manner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom