• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I found London Has Fallen to be.... just incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
What am I watching. Nobody is safely taking cover, just in and out of it and openly running in the street. The bad guys in the three of four story have clear lines of sight but aren't hitting anything at all. There really isn't any sense of fear or tension. It's not bad for a one shot, but it's not well directed either.

The movie is playing by Commando rules. The more of them there are the easier they are to kill and vice versa, the fewer heroes the harder they are to kill.

BajiBoxer

Banned
I liked Olympus much more. I enjoyed London, but I think they needed to kick it up a notch further into Fast and the Furious levels of insanity, considering the "America, fuck yeah" tone. Revel even more in being a big dumb action movie. Maybe play with the theme a bit.

Jackpot

Banned
And islamist terrorists are modern day nazis - amazing villains that you're happy to see murdered brutally.

They're really not. They're the most boring, shallow villains ever depicted. Compounded by the fact that the real-life motivations are linked to our overseas "jaunts". Like the drone strike at the beginning of the film.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Do you only watch thought-provoking films in order to learn something?

I do not. But this movie is poorly written, poorly acted, has poor dialog and shit CG. There's a hint of comedy in just how over the top everything is, but they don't even cash in on that aspect well. It's like a fourteen year old wrote an essay on what would be a cool premise for a movie.

'Dumb' action movies can click with me when done right. This isn't one of those.

Ronin Ray

As a big fan of action movies I found this movie to be just bland and nothing sticks out. Its on the same level as a random Tony Ja, or Scott Adkins movie you would find on Netflix. Although those movies would have better fight scenes.

I imagine this is how the British police were portrayed in the movie

Victorian-policeman-pf1.jpg

There were no good British police/military really until the SAS showed up later.
Somehow the bad guys could also completely disguise themselves as American Delta Force teams within just a few hours of hearing the Americans secret plans.

p2535748

So in short, Aaron Eckhart should be next president. Well, he would be more qualified.

He's a terrible President! In the first movie, he tells one of his cabinet members to just give up the nuclear codes! Actually, he might even do it twice, I don't remember, I just remember being oddly furious at him throughout that film.

London is Falling is awful. There's a part near the end where the good guy beats up the bad guy while also explaining to him why America is so wonderful. I'm all for some fine jingoism in my movies, but we as a society can do better than this.

It's also just poorly made. Every story beat is obvious and most of them were done better in the first movie (not a classic either, but competent), the action sequences are limp and uninteresting, and the SFX are mediocre.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
The Has Fallen films are great. Guilty pleasure fun where you turn your mind off and watch pew pew shooty explosions.

Can't wait for Angel Has Fallen.

rdytoroll

Mediocre Movie. The thing I remember most though is this one overweight guy making loud ass mouth noises and loud coughing at our showing.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It was awful.

Terrible CGI.
Ridiculous story (London is literally overrun by terrorists and shuts the city down?)
Bad one-liners.
Awful cinematography.

I loved it. Can't wait for the next one. The world needs more so-bad-its-good action films.

The only thing I genuinely disliked was the politics about trying to make drone strikes seem like a good thing.

SHUTUP BUTTWAD.

They forgot to put in the good part in the so bad its good.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The only good thing about it was the lengthy one-shot action sequence near the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Lb-osAfXo

I just watched the movie for shits and giggles in response to this thread and never saw a one-shot action sequence, so I checked your link.

Yeah...I'm just eyeballing this, but there are a ton of editing transition points in this sequence, at least 6 or 7. Any time the camera snaps 180 degrees or a character sweeps across the frame point blank they could be stitching in another section of the sequence. No reason to think it was a true one-shot.

Anyway, Olympus was a fun Die Hard clone. It knows what it is and has some pretty solid shootouts and a fairly technical duel. Bannon's a one man army power fantasy but Olympus tries to earn it somewhat, at least. He uses tactics, takes advantage of his knowledge of the White House, and is one brutal son of a bitch.

London on the other hand is like a cartoon version of Olympus, and Olympus was already a cartoon. Bannon has the two MI6 agents *leave* just as they see the fake terrorist Delta team is assaulting their safe house so that he and the President can take them on alone while MI6 finds a mole? Bannon is either treasonously incompetent or too self-aware of his own plot armor.

Everyone's talked about the racism and jingoism plenty, so I'll highlight that the SAS gets zero respect from this film. This SAS squad and its captain arrive on the scene to pull Bannon off a live terrorist he's interrogating, yelling "HE'S DONE! HE'S DONE! Back off, take it easy!" The enemy combatant is still conscious and unsecured, so the SAS captain just endangered Bannon and everyone else there...to what, allow the terrorist to die more slowly with dignity? C'mon now. The SAS are some of the most hardcore SOF in the world. They're famous for their brutal efficiency and black humor in the face of death. One of the first things I read about them as a little kid was an SAS soldier advocating emptying entire magazines into downed combatants because 100% ensuring they're dead and not capable of shooting someone in your team is more important than, like, any pretense about your own humanity. in London Has Fallen, though, it's constantly, "Bannon, ye can't do that, mate, that's crazy!" Did the writers mix up SAS with SaaS?

Montresor

^ Does SOF mean soldier of fortune?

The lengthy shot being stitched together to create the illusion of a long unbroken shot still feels wonderful/satisfying to watch. It definitely clearly has convenient spots that allow the real camera to "take a breather", like when Bannon is running along a catwalk on the side of the building before infiltrating it, and the camera zooms right into the bluish plastic side of the catwalk and we lose sight of Bannon. The camera pans right and Bannon conveniently reappears - clearly a spot where they can stitch together camera shots to create the illusion of a long shot. Still satisfying, even knowing the tricks. :)

I can't argue against the racism or jingoism. The action sequences did it for me - loved the camera work and nearly each explosion and fired bullet.

Busty

Banned
The film is piping hot, salty garbage.

Also, I worked with someone who was in this film. Let's just say they weren't very popular so seeing them trying to 'act' in a film like this was absolutely ridiculous on a number of levels.

soqquatto

Do you only watch thought-provoking films in order to learn something?

I watch all kind of films and I'm open to the possibility to learn anything. what London has fallen has taught me is that I shouldn't hope for garbage movies to teach me anything at all. paradox!

kyser73

It was awful.

Terrible CGI.
Ridiculous story (London is literally overrun by terrorists and shuts the city down?)
Bad one-liners.
Awful cinematography.

I loved it. Can't wait for the next one. The world needs more so-bad-its-good action films.

The only thing I genuinely disliked was the politics about trying to make drone strikes seem like a good thing.

SHUTUP BUTTWAD.

True story: in 1998 7 accidents on main roads and two overheight trucks getting stuck in both north & southbound Blackwell crossing tunnels actually caused complete gridlock which turned the inner 8 boroughs into a car park for 5 hours.

system11

I found it uplifting, London is an awful place. It was somewhat fun too for an evening watch, I wouldn't revisit it though.

I think films like John Wick, Dredd, The Raid, and Mad Max Fury Road have proven we can enjoy incredible action films without having our intelligence insulted.

Dreck like this "Fallen" crap is best served up at the bargain bin.

Gnome

I think films like John Wick, Dredd, The Raid, and Mad Max Fury Road have proven we can enjoy incredible action films without having our intelligence insulted.

Dreck like this "Fallen" crap is best served up at the bargain bin.

Agreed. Those movies you named also have actual mis-en-scene where as this dreck doesn't even have a real identity, it's just "Shootem-up #3456".

jonno394

I enjoyed both of these movies considerably more than John Wick or Mad Max. Good old fashioned fun.

Looking forward to the sequel, just a shame Eckhart won't be coming back.

That whole movie plays like one long ass wet dream of the people that Trump got to vote for him, tbh.

Shit is jingoistic in the worst way. It's ridiculous in how offensively fucking racist it is too. Every brown person in London was a terrorist.

bsp

Yep, that or secret splinter cell terrorists.

Londons actual counter terror police:

and of course the UKSF are no-where to be seen, I think MI6 showed up at one point...

I imagine this is how the British police were portrayed in the movie

Victorian-policeman-pf1.jpg

The SAS were actually the only SOF unit that had any sort of role to play. They ended up helping save the day while the American JSOC team was presumably captured/killed before even showing up.

^ Does SOF mean soldier of fortune?

It means Special Operations Force. SAS, SEALs, Delta, SASR, US Special Forces, etc. "Special Forces" in American SOF refers to only one unit (US Army Special Forces "Green Berets") so SOF is a more agnostic term to use.

kevin1025

Banned
The first movie was a great time, the second one was fun in theatres but didn't come close to Olympus. Sometimes big, dumb fun action movies are the way to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom