• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have 1 month to play all of Metal Gear Solid.

Still playing MGSPW:HD and already about to fight second Metal Gear... pretty crazy how quickly you can burn thru just the main missions.

I'm replaying all the Metal Gears, including the MSK ones, just beat MG one on Easy cause "look there's no time for original and I'm bad"
KwKuCQI.jpg

PreFire

I'm replaying all the Metal Gears, including the MSK ones, just beat MG one on Easy cause "look there's no time for original and I'm bad"
KwKuCQI.jpg

I'm playing through mgs2 hd right now. So many memories with this one

Side note, doesn't that brightness from the window distract/fuck with your gaming experience? Looks bright as fuck

Jawmuncher

So far have beaten MGS1-4. Going to move into rising and if I feel like it play MG2. Not going to bother with MG1, once was enough for that one. Will also just watch the cutscenes for portable ops since the gameplay has aged badly there.

Also any goodwill MGS4 creates the epilogue debriefing throws it out the window. What a horrible way to end a series. It's like if ME3 rather than having no info had way too much and it was all convoluted and unneeded.

So far have beaten MGS1-4. Going to move into rising and if I feel like it play MG2. Not going to bother with MG1, once was enough for that one. Will also just watch the cutscenes for portable ops since the gameplay has aged badly there.

Also any goodwill MGS4 creates the epilogue debriefing throws it out the window. What a horrible way to end a series. It's like if ME3 rather than having no info had way too much and it was all convoluted and unneeded.

man... MGS4 just... it just ENDS for me after Act 2.

Seriously, I've wanted to go back to it for the past couple of days but just can't :(

MG1 does have a few frustrating bits if it's your first time playing and you don't know what's coming up, but if you do know, I really recommend you to replay it once in a while. The stealth gameplay where each screen is it's own challenge works a lot better than MG2, where they try to go for big, open areas but still don't allow the screen to scroll. The level design just isn't as tight and unlike MG2's worst backtracking offenders you can avoid most of MG1's bullshitty moments if you already know to expect them. It's a lot of fun if you try to go for a no-kill, as-little-alerts-as-possible (I think it's like 6 or 7 alerts that are unavoidable.) run. The second game was very ambitious with it's ideas, but the tech wasn't quite there.

Ogawa-san

Seriously, I've wanted to go back to it for the past couple of days but just can't :(
I get that suspension of disbelief is a must for the series, but the last 1/3 of the game is just too much, culminating with
a semi-dead Old Snake being dragged by Mk. III through the "microwave" to the top of the ship to have an uninterrupted fist fight with Ocelot, because. And then he proceeds to punch Ocelot to death, even though he survived far worse through every game.

I liked it and all but it's a goddamn fanfic.

Hypron

I get that suspension of disbelief is a must for the series, but the last 1/3 of the game is just too much, culminating with
a semi-dead Old Snake being dragged by Mk. III through the "microwave" to the top of the ship to have an uninterrupted fist fight with Ocelot, because. And then he proceeds to punch Ocelot to death, even though he survived far worse through every game.

I liked it and all but it's a goddamn fanfic.

Doesn't
Ocelot die from FOXDIE
?

I'm through MGS1-4 so far (started last year) and I'm almost to chapter 5 on peace walker. Peacewalker is the one MGS game I've had since it came out on PSP and I'm finally playing it. I'm playing the PS3 version and it's alright. It's interesting to see the seeds that started with PW that are maturing in MGSV. I think I'm going to be able to finish it and ground zeroes before MGSV!

Played Ground Zeroes via Games with Gold. I cannot believe they charged $30 for that, but given the whole Konami fallout it makes sense in retrospect.

I restarted 3 again after a year of no playing. Hopefully I can finish it this time, but I have to admit I've never gotten used to the controls in this series.

Yeah I was blazing through the first 3 and kind of hit a wall with mgs4. I did finish it but It was almost a chore after how good 1,2, and 3 are.

Gaz_RB

I absolutely loved MGS4 the first time through, but it certainly does not lend itself to replayability. MGSV seems to be rectifying that.

Rewatching MGScanlon4 actually made me like it more.

It's unquestionably the ultimate fanservice game that in a way, also subverts it by wrapping it all it up in a very grim and gutwrenching way for Snake throughout the story, but the emotional highs when the story embraces its moments of crazy is still so exciting to go through.

As a game, it's poor balance of gameplay-cutscene and the weaker late acts compared to the beginning definitely makes it not hold up as well as the earlier MGS games. But it's still a great game imo.

PSOreo

I bought the Legacy Collection a few months ago so tomorrow I'm buying a second-hand PS3 just so I can replay all of them before TPP. Can't wait to play then on my massive new 48inch TV.

//ARCANUM

Doing a check in on how far I'm into MGS3 (my first time). I just
met with EVA for the second time and am now standing above the weapons facility at the top of the mountain.
so how far in am I would you say?

Edit - also I'm super hoping for a Konami sale this week or next on PSN. probably buying peace walker next and would love to get if on sale rather than full price. How often does that game go on sale?

PSOreo

Doing a check in on how far I'm into MGS3 (my first time). I just
met with EVA for the second time and am now standing above the weapons facility at the top of the mountain.
so how far in am I would you say?

You've still got a fair bit to go yet, two or three more sections if I remember correctly.

//ARCANUM

You've still got a fair bit to go yet, two or three more sections if I remember correctly.

What would you guess percentage wise? I know it doesn't matter but I've grown so addicted to games giving me % done that I hate not having it now lol.

Pez

What would you guess percentage wise? I know it doesn't matter but I've grown so addicted to games giving me % done that I hate not having it now lol.

I'd say you're about halfway through. Let me know when you get to peace walker and we can party up. Should be fun!

Also, good luck with getting everything in peace walker. Lots of side missions there.

Probably about 60%, I'd say. MGS3's quite a meaty game, and there's still a lot of stuff to do once you reach Groznyj Grad.

Pez

Also, I really hope we can unlock MGS 2, ,MGS 3, and MGS 4 skins in phantom pain. Was so cool playing as ps1 snake in ground zeroes.

Played and finished MGS 1 on Friday and started MGS 2 yesterday.
Did Tanker and now I'm doing Plant.

Not that far into plant yet but will continue today.

CMchB-PUsAEynnK.jpg

Also, I really hope we can unlock MGS 2, ,MGS 3, and MGS 4 skins in phantom pain. Was so cool playing as ps1 snake in ground zeroes.

Totally agreed. It looks like there's a good level of customisation already with normal outfits, bionic arms, bandannas and ponytails, but those unlockable skins in Ground Zeroes were fantastic. I'm hoping they go nuts with it and outdo MGS4's outfits, camos and facecamos.

Of course, I have a sneaking suspicion that Konami might be planning all that stuff as paid DLC.

Hypron

Totally agreed. It looks like there's a good level of customisation already with normal outfits, bionic arms, bandannas and ponytails, but those unlockable skins in Ground Zeroes were fantastic. I'm hoping they go nuts with it and outdo MGS4's outfits, camos and facecamos.

Of course, I have a sneaking suspicion that Konami might be planning all that stuff as paid DLC.

It'd be great if they did both skins with the original graphics from the rest of series and high res, MGSV-style remakes of them.

Roussow

Playing through PW for the first time now.

Really enjoying it, despite what some of you have told me.
Just defeated the first Metal Gear looking mech thing, and have been properly introduced to Huey!

I remember seeing his character in MGSV trailers and thinking, "huh, that really looks like Otacon". Turns out it's his Dad, it's great to hear Christopher Randolph again, too.

I'm enjoying the meta-game elements, assigning captured/recruited enemies and POW's to positions at the base, the unlocks and progression is coming along at a decent pace, playing it through normally without replaying missions, I haven't been short of GMP for required story progress unlocks, so it hasn't felt "grindy" at all -- even the bosses haven't been bad at all, the problem so far doesn't seem to be the design, but more the context, they're just tanks or mechs, there's no classic MGS character to them, which is a shame, but at least the game plays quite well as a shooter, so these bosses are fun enough.

jesu

I tried and started off with MGS 3 but couldn't get into it, everything about it was horrible.
Jumped to Ground Zeroes and that was pretty good though.

tok9

I started my playthrough about 2 weeks ago.

I'm after completing MGS2, MGS3 (platinumed on ps3 and vita :)), MGS4 and for the first time I've just fully completed the main campaign of Peace Walker.

I have to say I'm thinking a lot more highly of peace walker now. I just wish there were more people online to play with.

I think I'm going to take a break now and play Ground Zeroes the days before The Phantom Pain comes out.

Ogawa-san

I tried and started off with MGS 3 but couldn't get into it, everything about it was horrible.
It became far more manageable for me once I stopped trying to sneak up on enemies like in the previous two games and started abusing the tranq gun instead.

Sure, that pretty much broke the game in the process, but...

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Halfway through MGS 4 now. I like the game though it really feels just like a shooter with some light stealth mechanics which means I'm kinda cruising through it. Game is kinda depressing so far, there are a few things that annoy me but overall I like i. I wish the game gave you more options for a non.lethal run than "Pistol" and "loud Sniper". Since I just want to finish the game I don't care that much though.
Also the "B&B squad" is really....creepy. And not in the good way. More like in a "Yes, look at this woman's ass. LOOK AT IT. She has tits too! Look at them as well! DO IT!" kinda way?

Hypron

Halfway through MGS 4 now. I like the game though it really feels just like a shooter with some light stealth mechanics which means I'm kinda cruising through it. Game is kinda depressing so far, there are a few things that annoy me but overall I like i. I wish the game gave you more options for a non.lethal run than "Pistol" and "loud Sniper". Since I just want to finish the game I don't care that much though.

Hold-ups and CQC are your friends :p There's also a non-lethal shotgun, sleeping gas mines (and satchels) and stun grenades that are all useful. Ha, and the stun knife too.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'm at the end of Act 3 in MGS4 at the moment and can't believe how much I like it. I DESPISED this game the first time I played it.

It really helps not to take all the shit the happens in this game seriously. I actually find myself enjoying all the goofy shit this time around. It's clearly not where I wanted the series to go but I guess simply accepting it for what it is helps a great deal.

Really glad I replayed the series in preparation to MGSV. I had but zero hype for V up to this point but now can't wait to play it. Good thing I happen to have holiday in that week. :)

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Hold-ups and CQC are your friends :p There's also a non-lethal shotgun, sleeping gas mines (and satchels) and stun grenades that are all useful. Ha, and the stun knife too.

Yeah I know (except for the shotgun, have to look for that).
"Problem" so far is that mines and satchels seem pretty useless so far. I shouldn't complain though, going non-lethal is a choice and it's clear that I won't get a "non-lethal" rocket launcher or machine gun. Still gonna do it cause that's what I do, I guess.
Though apparently I killed 18 people in the second Act without remembering a single one, maybe I shot a bunch of guys during the APC section?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I know (except for the shotgun, have to look for that).

Needs V-Ring ammo, I think they are. Been a while, but I think you press triangle to get it to come up? I could be wrong. M870 is somewhere near the end of Act 1, I believe. Saiga is in Eastern Europe.

"Problem" so far is that mines and satchels seem pretty useless so far.

Imagination is the key! :D

Place a SG Mine, knock on a wall. One knocked out PMC Trooper. Place a magazine on the trooper and wait for his chums to come along. CQC him. Two knocked out troopers. Etc.

nikos

Just finished MGS 3. Everything about it was fantastic other than my girlfriend calling me during the final part of the ending, and throughout the credits.

Frustrating to no end, but it was something important.

EDIT (MAJOR SPOILER):
Just listened to the segment after the credits and realized Ocelot said his name was ADAMska. I'm not even mad anymore. Kojima, you marvelous son of a bitch.

Beat my first MGS last night which was 3 (I should be ashamed of my avatar)

I've started and never finished every single Metal Gear game. I had the MGS HD Collection on the 360 three seperate times, but never completed one game. I bought a Vita recently and decided to buy and beat MGS 3. Not going to go into specifics about my playthrough (you all know how good the game is), but here is my results screen:

vvnHCjWl.jpg

I played stealthy until I got spotted. Killed everyone once that happened :) The Sorrow was pretty crazy, lol.

Thinking about buying MGS 2 on the Vita and trying to beat it. Is it as good of a port as 3 is in terms of controls and such? I wish MGS 1 was on the Vita btw, makes no sense for it not to be.

galvenize

I've only finished 1 and 2 a decade ago so I also started playing MGS all over again in prep for TPP (Just beat Mantis). I intend to play through the first three on Vita as well as PW. Two weeks to go... Might not make it but it just means I'm not getting MGSV day one.

I started my playthrough about 2 weeks ago.

I'm after completing MGS2, MGS3 (platinumed on ps3 and vita :)), MGS4 and for the first time I've just fully completed the main campaign of Peace Walker.

I have to say I'm thinking a lot more highly of peace walker now. I just wish there were more people online to play with.

I think I'm going to take a break now and play Ground Zeroes the days before The Phantom Pain comes out.
What did you think about that kaz tape?
regarding Les Enfant Terrible?
Thinking about buying MGS 2 on the Vita and trying to beat it. Is it as good of a port as 3 is in terms of controls and such? I wish MGS 1 was on the Vita btw, makes no sense for it not to be.
If you got a ps3 you can transfer it to your vita just be sure not to install the game on your ps3 before making the transfer.

Some hours into MGS4, found the first boss. For such a cool series the boss fights truly are incredibly bad. Four games in and the only fight I didn't hate didn't have any gameplay involved (
The Sorrow
).

Is this post from an alternate dimension. This series has the best boss battles in gaming.

Agreed, thebending before the credits was perfect. "Snake had a hard life", everything made sense, beautiful. Then big boss shows up and messes everything up .

clove

Neo Member
I finally got around to Ground Zeroes (PC). For all the other games, I've been able to stealth through pretty much everything, but this is more challenging in GZ.

The guard patrols seem more random and there are more angles to be spotted from. Guards have a nasty tendency to do guard-y things like, you know, look around. Also, guard vision has been made more realistic. I found myself spotted more often than I like, which is to say, at all, which made sneaking much more tense. It was like going from MGS2-soliton-radar to MGS3-get-good-fucker.

I wonder if Kojima did this purposely, knowing that it would force more action and improvisation on players. If so, here's to him, but damn is it frustrating at first :p

//ARCANUM

Beat my first MGS last night which was 3 (I should be ashamed of my avatar)

I've started and never finished every single Metal Gear game. I had the MGS HD Collection on the 360 three seperate times, but never completed one game. I bought a Vita recently and decided to buy and beat MGS 3. Not going to go into specifics about my playthrough (you all know how good the game is), but here is my results screen:

vvnHCjWl.jpg

I played stealthy until I got spotted. Killed everyone once that happened :) The Sorrow was pretty crazy, lol.

DAMN you finished that quick. I'm on my first time playing and am 10 hours in and from what people are telling me am only 60% into the game.

Also, MGS1 IS playable on Vita. You have to transfer the installer from a PS3 though. But it functions 100%.

lmimmfn

Damn you guys, you got me all hyped and i started replaying MGS3 on PCSX and went out and bought the HD collection on PS3 on Friday. Only ever played/finished MGS3 once and my PS2 died afterwards. Finished MGS1 & 2 about 7-10 times and MGS4 once.

MGS3 has aged very well gameplay wise.

Previously my fav in order were MGS1>MGS3>MGS4>MGS2 but im thinking i may prefer 3 to 1 now at least gameplay wise, will confirm when im finished my playthrough.

May play PW( even for a few hours, worth doing that? ) and replay GZ before MGSV is out if i have time.

Oh and i enjoyed MGS4( it was way OTT of course, but took it for what it was ), except Act 3, hated that.

EndMerit

This past week I've been playing Peace Walker (PS3) for the first time. I'm at Act 5, and being post-credits chapter, one would think the game's story is done, but somehow I'm still expecting some huge-ass revelations.
Regardless, there's been a lot of
Zadornov searching
at Act 5, so I'm guessing something big has to happen sooner or later.

Gameplay-wise, I think I like PW even more than MGS3. It feels like PW took the core gameplay of 3, then threw away 3's poorly executed character-management systems (3's camouflage-, food- and cure-systems were neat, don't get me wrong, but admittably they broke the flow of gameplay) and instead came up with mission-based progression structure.
I really adore that, and in fact feel like this is the first time in MGS-series where you have a proper incentive to try different approaches, as opposed to playing the entire game either full-stealth or full-on guns blazing. Sure, sneaking is still the most "rewarding" approach, but with the way the game is designed, there's more merit with equipping battle armor against tank battle, running head-first towards troops, CQCing them to submission and then going guns blazing against the tank. Hell, with boss battles (which are... unconventional in Metal Gear-standards, sure), that's the best approach!

Story-wise... Well, I guess it's fine, but even if it were trash, seeing Yoji Shinkawa's illustrations in every other mission would justify just about anything to me. I especially like how much the game expands and elaborates The Boss' story before the events of MGS3.

As far as easter eggs go, I got a good chuckle of Assassin's Creed-references and Mr. Kojima randomly hiding in a truck.

Overall, seeing how MGSV seems to be taking PW's mission-based progression system and improving that with current console generation's power, open world-ish level design and real-ass Metal Gear-story, I couldn't be more exited for TPP. Two weeks can't pass fast enough.

I have to ask though, what's up with Miller? I did listen to his casette tapes, but still: There's no mention of him in MGS3, and he's just already there at the beginning of PW.
Did Portable Ops elaborate on that, or is that outside Metal Gearcanon?

Top Bottom