• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have 1 month to play all of Metal Gear Solid.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
MGS4... The story of this game man...

- Otacon fixes the fucking MG Rex Snake busted 10 years ago with a MKII robot.
- Noami has cancer.
- Naomi dies of cancer.
- That drama section with Otacon, Naomi and the MKII...
- Vamp, Nanomachines...

GIF--laughing-funny-LOL-haha-hehe-hilarious-fun-happy-laugh-Idi-Amin-Dada-GIF.gif

This game man.... Kojima really went berserk with his writing...

Loved that Crying Wolf bossfight though. That was ace.

OG Kush

Can anyone recommend some good videos/playthroughs/walkthroughs of some skilled MGS3 players so I can get an idea of one should be playing and appraoching the game?

Dineren

Banned
How long does a first time playthrough take for each of the games in the series typically take? I had settled on just playing 1, 3, PW, and GZ, but I can't stop thinking about going for the full series. It took me about 11 hours to complete the first one on normal for reference.

Damn, so I need to play Peace Walker to understand TPP and GZ?
I already finished MGS1, 2, 3 and finishing 4...
I really like those games, but I'm kinda saturated... Too much story... And everything is soooooo complicated and full of hidden things!!!

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So I just finished MGS 4.
Damn. What a dumb game. I really didn't enjoy anything about that game...
As far as I'm concerned it is easily the weakest of the main MGS games so far...

Damn, so I need to play Peace Walker to understand TPP and GZ?
I already finished MGS1, 2, 3 and finishing 4...
I really like those games, but I'm kinda saturated... Too much story... And everything is soooooo complicated and full of hidden things!!!

Solid Saga: MG1&2, MGS1, MGS2, MGS4
Big Boss Saga ( prequel ) : MGS3, PW, MGSV = GZ&TPP

Not really complicated if you look at it like this. PW is necessary either watch a summary on YouTube or catch Uknighted on twitch is currently playing all the games in a marathon. Friendly Tip disable chat for spoilers.

Solid Saga: MG1&2, MGS1, MGS2, MGS4
Big Boss Saga ( prequel ) : MGS3, PW, MGSV = GZ&TPP

Not really complicated if you look at it like this. PW is necessary either watch a summary on YouTube or catch Uknighted on twitch is currently playing all the games in a marathon. Friendly Tip disable chat for spoilers.

I have the HD Edition of PW, I'll jut play it.
Thanks for your organization of the saga, it's really easier to understand if you look this way.

Saved. =P

So I just finished MGS 4.
Damn. What a dumb game. I really didn't enjoy anything about that game...
As far as I'm concerned it is easily the weakest of the main MGS games so far...

Story-wise?

Absolutely. Even Peace Walker is better... yes, Peace Walker

Act 1 and 2 had some of THE best gameplay of the franchise tho up until Ground Zeroes came out

Fantastapotamus

Story-wise?

Absolutely. Even Peace Walker is better... yes, Peace Walker

Act 1 and 2 had some of THE best gameplay of the franchise tho up until Ground Zeroes came out

I didn't enjoy the gameplay that much either. It might be the best the MGS series had but until now the games felt distinct, while this just felt like your everyday 3rd Person Shooter.
And some sections (the resistance fighter tailing) were just annoying as hell.

But the story? I have never seen such a confused mess of things that are supposed to be related to each other.

Ogawa-san

Between the torture scene and riot shield soldiers' stun triggering the worst QTE in history, I might need a new DS3 once I'm done with PW.

Between this and the lack of a second analog, how the hell did people play (and liked) this on a PSP?

ZoronMaro

Between the torture scene and riot shield soldiers' stun triggering the worst QTE in history, I might need a new DS3 once I'm done with PW.

Between this and the lack of a second analog, how the hell did people play (and liked) this on a PSP?

Some others mentioned the PW torture scene earlier, I was really surprised by how easy it was. Maybe harder than MGS1, but I'm surprised people have trouble with any of them really, I never needed the spoon trick to get through any of the torture scenes. I'll say I hate QTEs in general though, but there's way worse than this out there.

I finished Act 5 of PW last night, and I swear if you could take out the vehicle missions, or just make them easier or fewer of them, I would like this game 10 times more. I don't think it's as shit as everyone says, but there's some glaring problems yea. (forget second analogue how do you play without L2/R2?!).

//ARCANUM

I just beat MGS3. Omg. I can't believe I spent this long in my life not playing this game. What a complete masterpiece. I can't believe this was a PS2 game. I'm speechless.

Now on to Peace Walker, which I'll be playing on Vita since I just went on Vacation. Here's hoping I can beat it by September 1st. (Took me 1.5 weeks to beat MGS3 with my schedule.)

Any tips for a first timer jumping into PW?

I just beat MGS3. Omg. I can't believe I spent this long in my life not playing this game. What a complete masterpiece. I can't believe this was a PS2 game. I'm speechless.

Damn right. MGS3 is absolutely incredible. No action sequence in gaming has come close to topping the Shagohod chase. Someone might suggest Uncharted, but no.

The thing about MGS4 is that the story sorta make senses and everything ties together until the After Credits scene, at which point nothing makes sense and everything is confusing.

- Noami has cancer.
- Naomi dies of cancer.
- That drama section with Otacon, Naomi and the MKII...
- Vamp, Nanomachines...

That honestly might be the hardest cutscene to sit through in the entire series :p

I finished Act 5 of PW last night, and I swear if you could take out the vehicle missions, or just make them easier or fewer of them, I would like this game 10 times more.

Agreed. The bosses are 100% terrible, and unfortunately they never, ever go away. There are over fifty of them as Extra Ops, and you can't just avoid them and play the normal, actually enjoyable missions. If you want to unlock all the normal missions, you have to go through the vehicle fights. I don't like Peace Walker at all, but if they took out all the vehicle fights I could probably think of it as just a mediocre game rather than an outright bad one.

farisr

How are people recommending Scanlon? You need a premium account. Fuck that

Totally worth it for me. Seeing as all their MGS related stuff is done now and you don't have to wait for the next installment, you can get a $5 membership for a month and download it all to your computer (you'll need like 140gb of space at least if you're downloading all the vids in 720p). So many great moments in this series, and these guys are fun to watch. It was great seeing Drew playing through the series and seeing the reactions of someone encountering something for the first time. Before this I had never thought I would ever watch a complete let's play/playthrough of an entire game. Thanks to this series, I ended up watching 5.

(though the playthrough for the first game is legitimately frustrating to watch at certain times)

That honestly might be the hardest cutscene to sit through in the entire series :p

Man... I took it all. Back at the same place from MGS1 after 10 years of playing that game, the hype of going to control
Rex
after all these years, the insanity with everything going to shit and something that nobody ever mentions which bothers me is the recreation of the fantastic Enclosure which is also used in MGS1 when Otacon
loses Sniper Wolf.

Totally worth it for me. Seeing as all their MGS related stuff is done now and you don't have to wait for the next installment, you can get a $5 membership for a month and download it all to your computer (you'll need like 140gb of space at least if you're downloading all the vids in 720p). So many great moments in this series, and these guys are fun to watch. It was great seeing Drew playing through the series and seeing the reactions of someone encountering something for the first time. Before this I had never thought I would ever watch a complete let's play/playthrough of an entire game. Thanks to this series, I ended up watching 5.

(though the playthrough for the first game is legitimately frustrating to watch at certain times)

Exactly. It's totally worth it and very enjoyable. Usually you'd always find a person who has played atleast one MGS game in their life, not Drew though and that made it very damn good to go through first time reactions. Brought back wonderful memories.

I just finished 2 for the first time and damn was it bad. Some nice gameplay design at the beginning, but it got progressively worse and the numerous cutscenes and horrible story had me biting my tongue to find pleasure.

Spazznid

I just finished 2 for the first time and damn was it bad. Some nice gameplay design at the beginning, but it got progressively worse and the numerous cutscenes and horrible story had me biting my tongue to find pleasure.

Play it again, and this time realize
You're completely wrong.

Fantastapotamus

So, can somebody help me with a couple of questions I have, regarding mostly MGS 4

-Why exactly did Ocelot hypnotize himself to think he was Liquid? I missed the reason why he had to do that.
-If he only hypnotized himself, why did the whole "Oh no, not now" thing happen at the end of MGS 2? It didn't seem like he was too happy about that. Also he had Liquid's voice at some point?
-What the hell happened to Raiden? Is he a robot now? He's fighting a bunch of enemies with a sword in his mouth because he has no arms, next thing we see is him lying in a hospital with two arms. When did he become a Cyborg? Was that ever explained?
-So the body EVA had was not Big Bosse's but Solidus'. But Eva knew that right? Cause Big Boss says she stitched him together with parts from Solidus and Liquid (I'm just gonna ignore that part). So why did she throw herself into the fire to "save" "Big Boss" corps? If everybody in the MGS universe just super committed to his acting role?
-What was Liquid's plan exactly? At the end Snake says "You could have stopped us" and he was like "Nah, this is exactly what I wanted". Really? Why did he need Snake to do that? Why couldn't he just destroy GW himself? I mean he had GW right there in front of him, right? Was Sunny really the only person in the world who could write a worm that destroys GW and the rest of the AIs?

I'm just curious if these things were explained at some point and I missed it or if it was just a "Will of the Force" kind of situation but with Nano-machines.

Despite not really liking most of the game, I have to admit that I really enjoyed basically everything after the stupid "Maryl-Johnny" cutscene despite how little sense it made.

Why? I also find the story very confusing.

The story in MGS 2 is not that confusing, it's just told in a really confusing way. It's a pretty straight forward story that has a couple of "and here is a part that makes no sense at all" scenes thrown into it to make it seem more complex. The whole Liquid thing basically amounts to nothing.
Like, seriously. It could just have been Ocelot doing all that stuff and it would make even more sense than "Liquid took over his body via arm, but no actually this Ocelot
hypnotized himself to think he was Liquid for some reason

Hypron

So, can somebody help me with a couple of questions I have, regarding mostly MGS 4

-Why exactly did Ocelot hypnotize himself to think he was Liquid? I missed the reason why he had to do that.
-If he only hypnotized himself, why did the whole "Oh no, not now" thing happen at the end of MGS 2? It didn't seem like he was too happy about that. Also he had Liquid's voice at some point?
-What the hell happened to Raiden? Is he a robot now? He's fighting a bunch of enemies with a sword in his mouth because he has no arms, next thing we see is him lying in a hospital with two arms. When did he become a Cyborg? Was that ever explained?
-So the body EVA had was not Big Bosse's but Solidus'. But Eva knew that right? Cause Big Boss says she stitched him together with parts from Solidus and Liquid (I'm just gonna ignore that part). So why did she throw herself into the fire to "save" "Big Boss" corps? If everybody in the MGS universe just super committed to his acting role?
-What was Liquid's plan exactly? At the end Snake says "You could have stopped us" and he was like "Nah, this is exactly what I wanted". Really? Why did he need Snake to do that? Why couldn't he just destroy GW himself? I mean he had GW right there in front of him, right? Was Sunny really the only person in the world who could write a worm that destroys GW and the rest of the AIs?

I'm just curious if these things were explained at some point and I missed it or if it was just a "Will of the Force" kind of situation but with Nano-machines.

Despite not really liking most of the game, I have to admit that I really enjoyed basically everything after the stupid "Maryl-Johnny" cutscene despite how little sense it made.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong:
  • Ocelot hypnotised himself to fool the Patriots into thinking he was Liquid. That gave him room to do stuff that went against the Patriots' best interests.
  • From my understanding Ocelot was possessed in MGS2. But then he removed the arm (notice how he's got a cybernetic arm during the final bossfight?) and hypnotised himself.
  • Raiden became a Cyborg between 2 and 4. He's pretty much just a brain and a spinal cord at this point. How exactly he became a cyborg wasn't explained though.
  • I don't really have an explanation for the last two questions though.

I'll do my best, but I can't promise anything convincing:
- Ocelot's whole plan rests on fooling The Patriots into thinking he's Liquid. As for why he couldn't just pretend to be Liquid... I honestly don't know. I guess he has to be perfectly in character 24/7 for the charade to work, or something.
There's an MGS database you can download from the PSN that suggests that Ocelot was genuinely possessed by Liquid's ghost in MGS2, but at some point between the games he had the arm cut off and replaced by a prosthetic so he could hypnotise himself into being possessed by a fake Liquid. Basically, it's ridiculous, and none of it makes sense. If they made it so that Ocelot was simply pretending the whole time, that'd at least explain some things, but the post-hypnotic suggestion thing is inscrutable.

- Between MGS2 and 4, Raiden went to rescue Olga's child from the Patriots, and somehow he ended up as a robot. This was going to be the plot of Metal Gear Rising, back when Kojima Productions was making that game. However, that game fell through, and the plot was rewritten when they gave it to Platinum, so we've never seen exactly how Raiden became a robot (and probably never will).

- I'm pretty sure she knew, and I don't have a good answer as to why she jumped into the fire. I've seen people say she's grieving for her 'son', but I'm pretty sure the game never mentions whether Eva had anything to do with Solidus' birth. I guess you could say she was delirious or some nonsense, but it doesn't really make sense.

- Liquid Ocelot needed to... OK, let me think this one through. Like, he was fooling the Patriots into believing he only wanted SOP in order to control all the nanomachines and become a megalomaniacal ruler, when actually he needed SOP to have Naomi write the FOXALIVE code that would shut down the Patriot AIs once and for all. Snake had to think he was simply stopping Liquid from taking over the world, so that he could act as the delivery vector to get the FOXALIVE virus into the Patriot's mainframe... right? Something like that? The Patriots had to think that Snake was only uploading the virus that would lock Liquid out of SOP, when in reality he was killing them... I think.

Fantastapotamus

I'll do my best, but I can't promise anything convincing:
- Ocelot's whole plan rests on fooling The Patriots into thinking he's Liquid. As for why he couldn't just pretend to be Liquid... I honestly don't know. I guess he has to be perfectly in character 24/7 for the charade to work, or something.

But why though? At what point does he NEED to fool them? At the end of MGS 2 "Liquid" steals Metal Gear Ray to go after the Patriots right? And in MGS 4 the Patriots try to stop him (by helping Snake via Drebin and Rat Patrol Team 01) But why can't it just be Ocelot going after the Patriots? I mean he was a founding member of the Patriots right? But at the end of MGS 2 he clearly betrays them, what does it matter whether he is Liquid or Ocelot? I guess what I'm asking is: What part of his plan depended on the Patriots thinking that he was Liquid? Like, what did that change? What's the difference between "Oh no Ocelot is a traitor" and "Oh no Ocelot is now Liquid and a traitor"? I just don't get that.

It kinda feels to me like they just introduced that part in MGS 2 and had no idea what to do with it later. It made for a pretty epic last boss battle though, I'll grant them that

It kinda feels to me like they just introduced that part in MGS 2 and had no idea what to do with it later.

You're not wrong :p

As for the whole ruse:
My best guess is that the Patriots know full well that Ocelot is not to be trusted under any circumstances. He's the double/triple/quadruple agent extraordinaire; you never know what that guy's up to. The idea of becoming Liquid is, I think, that Liquid's kind of a dope. His inferiority complex makes him predictable; he wants his own version of Outer Heaven and that's that. By acting as Liquid, Ocelot was luring the Patriots into a false sense of security, directing their attention one way so he could sneak his real plan through right under their noses.

Also, I guess if Ocelot had just taken on the Patriots by himself, there wouldn't necessarily be any guarantee that Solid Snake would get involved. Ocelot and Snake don't have much to do with eachother, but Liquid and Snake is a whole different story. By 'becoming' Liquid, not only can he assume that the Patriots will 'trust' that he's only after control of SOP to build his Outer Haven, he also ensures that Snake will be drawn in to settle the old grudge, thereby having the Patriots kinda sorta help Snake and, more importantly, let their guard down around him. Snake is unwittingly used by Naomi to deliver a virus, same as MGS1, and bing bang boom, the Patriots are out of the picture.

I agree that it's extremely contrived, only possible with huge leaps in logic, but, well, that's just the story Kojima wrote.

Cathcart

Thanks for pointing that out, I thought about subscribing just for MGS but the only option I saw was a full year subscription and I really don't want to do that. Might do the one month thing.

SomTervo

You're not wrong :p

As for the whole ruse:
My best guess is that the Patriots know full well that Ocelot is not to be trusted under any circumstances. He's the double/triple/quadruple agent extraordinaire; you never know what that guy's up to. The idea of becoming Liquid is, I think, that Liquid's kind of a dope. His inferiority complex makes him predictable; he wants his own version of Outer Heaven and that's that. By acting as Liquid, Ocelot was luring the Patriots into a false sense of security, directing their attention one way so he could sneak his real plan through right under their noses.

Also, I guess if Ocelot had just taken on the Patriots by himself, there wouldn't necessarily be any guarantee that Solid Snake would get involved. Ocelot and Snake don't have much to do with eachother, but Liquid and Snake is a whole different story. By 'becoming' Liquid, not only can he assume that the Patriots will 'trust' that he's only after control of SOP to build his Outer Haven, he also ensures that Snake will be drawn in to settle the old grudge, thereby having the Patriots kinda sorta help Snake and, more importantly, let their guard down around him. Snake is unwittingly used by Naomi to deliver a virus, same as MGS1, and bing bang boom, the Patriots are out of the picture.

I agree that it's extremely contrived, only possible with huge leaps in logic, but, well, that's just the story Kojima wrote.

This just made me think – I wonder if Ocelot will be the person who gets a heart-to-heart at/near the end of Metal Gear Solid V: TPP?

At the end of MGS4 it was
Big Boss
himself, maybe at the end of MGSV it'll be Ocelot, the real mastermind behind every plot point in the series? It would be so amazing to hear Ocelot just explain honestly everything he's done and everything he will do.

Man... One more week. How the hell am I going to survive!

But why though? At what point does he NEED to fool them? At the end of MGS 2 "Liquid" steals Metal Gear Ray to go after the Patriots right? And in MGS 4 the Patriots try to stop him (by helping Snake via Drebin and Rat Patrol Team 01) But why can't it just be Ocelot going after the Patriots? I mean he was a founding member of the Patriots right? But at the end of MGS 2 he clearly betrays them, what does it matter whether he is Liquid or Ocelot? I guess what I'm asking is: What part of his plan depended on the Patriots thinking that he was Liquid? Like, what did that change? What's the difference between "Oh no Ocelot is a traitor" and "Oh no Ocelot is now Liquid and a traitor"? I just don't get that.

It kinda feels to me like they just introduced that part in MGS 2 and had no idea what to do with it later. It made for a pretty epic last boss battle though, I'll grant them that

The Patriots are a machine that work on an algorithm. Solid Snake statistically beats Liquid. Ocelot had to belive he was Liquid to convince the Patriots he was Liquid so the algorithm would send Solid to stop him. I think Ocelot saw a younger Big Boss in Snake and knew only he could stop the Patriots, he just needed them to send Snake to do so.

SomTervo

The Patriots are a machine that work on an algorithm. Solid Snake statistically beats Liquid. Ocelot had to belive he was Liquid to convince the Patriots he was Liquid so the algorithm would send Solid to stop him. I think Ocelot saw a younger Big Boss in Snake and know only he could stop the Patriots, he just needed them to send Snake to do so.

Wow, that... That actually makes sense!

Wow, that... That actually makes sense!

Yay! It's poorly explained in the games. But Ocelot is
the son of The Boss and The Sorrow, the latter being a talented medium. Ocelot's spiritual saaviness caused the who silly Liquid debacle. Apparently Liquid's will was too strong so he removed the hand an implanted the cybernetic one. The hypnotherapy was means to the same end, but it's assumed Liquid would have basically hijacked Ocelot from his true intentions.

Or something like that.

Fantastapotamus

The Patriots are a machine that work on an algorithm. Solid Snake statistically beats Liquid. Ocelot had to belive he was Liquid to convince the Patriots he was Liquid so the algorithm would send Solid to stop him. I think Ocelot saw a younger Big Boss in Snake and knew only he could stop the Patriots, he just needed them to send Snake to do so.

the son of The Boss and The Sorrow, the latter being a talented medium. Ocelot's spiritual saaviness caused the who silly Liquid debacle. Apparently Liquid's will was too strong so he removed the hand an implanted the cybernetic one. The hypnotherapy was means to the same end, but it's assumed Liquid would have basically hijacked Ocelot from his true intentions.

Or something like that.

This is both super super dumb and amazing

This is both super super dumb and amazing

Replaying 2 it makes a tad bit more sense. Solidus and Ocelot recreate Shadow Moses as the SOLID SNAKE SIMULATION (this gets confusing because the GW Says the S3 program actually stands for Selection for Societal Sanity... I guess it's both) that was a test to see if this algorithm theory worked out. So 2 is beat for beat the same as 1. Solidus is Liquid, Vamp is Ninja, Fatman boss plays like Raven, blah blah blah.

(I don't think Solidus knew what Ocelot was up to either, just a means to his own end. It kinda seems like Solid Snake, Liquid Snake, Solidus Snake, Ocelot, Big Mama, and damn near everyone wants to end The Patriots. They just allllllllllll are going about it differently. Seriously, grab some coffee and let's talk this out. There is definitely a way we can work together.)

Repeating that goofiness was a test to do it in 4 which TA-DAH worked. Ocelot is good man. Such good man.

Metal Gear is totally dumb. You just have to realize it's like Gurren Lagann. It's tongue in cheek. It's tropey and campy but very aware. It constantly runs between self serious and parody. And that's pretty grand to me.

SomTervo

Or something like that.

I picked up on that, but never considered the clairvoyance in the bloodline.

Makes sense, but the arm stuff is still hard to swallow.

Still, the Patriot AI stuff was brilliant.

One of Kojima's biggest regrets was killing off
Liquid Snake
too early, he never knew the series was going to blow up the way it did. I also read somewhere that mgs1 was apparently rushed and wanted more time for development.

Amazing what about 4 games less baggage can do for a narrative even when it's rushed!

Obviously *smirk smirk.* 2 is my favorite, but damn was 1 a very self contained narrative! (Barring a couple character: BB and GF)

^^^ lol. Best bud and girl friend obviously.

Ogawa-san

Well, I'm done with PW's true ending. The bosses (
PW and Zeke
) were surprisingly not bad, but I guess that's because I went in with the battle suit, 3 weapons and 3 types of food.

It was fun but I feel I've wasted my time. I've played it to catch up with MGS5, but apparently a vital piece of information is locked behind having to complete every single mission, main and extra. I've tried fighting Pupa II and took longer than any other boss, so I'd have to go back and grind for better weapons... All for a cutscene or two. Might as well just watch them on Youtube, and I could've done that for the entire game if I knew.

What sucks is that looking up stuff (like
what happened to Paz
), I can't tell if I'm reading something I've missed in PW or if I'm spoiling myself MGS5 stuff.

Amazing what about 4 games less baggage can do for a narrative even when it's rushed!

Obviously *smirk smirk.* 2 is my favorite, but damn was 1 a very self contained narrative! (Barring a couple character: BB and GF)

^^^ lol. Best bud and girl friend obviously.

Here's the genius of MGS2
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-16-metal-gear-solid-2-the-first-postmodern-video-game

It's my favorite one in the series, this article and the mgs1 was released last week.

Here's the genius of MGS2
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-16-metal-gear-solid-2-the-first-postmodern-video-game

It's my favorite one in the series, this article and the mgs1 was released last week.

Yes! This seems similar to the Super Bunny Hop video that did the same for me. I've always been a MGS nerd, but watching that propelled it to "best game" status for me and kind of made me think about how it influenced the way I was thinking as a 11 year old. haha

Voror

I've been wanting to look into these games for a while now and my sister recently got the Legacy collection for free with a PS3 she bought from someone though I think the code for the first games is probably used.

Can one get through the games relatively fast? I'm not looking to have it all done by the time TPP comes out but thought it could be something I can work through on the side in addition to everything else.

I've been wanting to look into these games for a while now and my sister recently got the Legacy collection for free with a PS3 she bought from someone though I think the code for the first games is probably used.

Can one get through the games relatively fast? I'm not looking to have it all done by the time TPP comes out but thought it could be something I can work through on the side in addition to everything else.

Uhm. I think I beat the first game in 8 hours. But that was on my like 5th playthrough. Expect about 10-12 hours for the first two, about 15-20 for 3, and like 20 for MGS4. Very doable if you can consistently play the games.

Hypron

Well, I'm done with PW's true ending. The bosses (
PW and Zeke
) were surprisingly not bad, but I guess that's because I went in with the battle suit, 3 weapons and 3 types of food.

It was fun but I feel I've wasted my time. I've played it to catch up with MGS5, but apparently a vital piece of information is locked behind having to complete every single mission, main and extra. I've tried fighting Pupa II and took longer than any other boss, so I'd have to go back and grind for better weapons... All for a cutscene or two. Might as well just watch them on Youtube, and I could've done that for the entire game if I knew.

What sucks is that looking up stuff (like
what happened to Paz
), I can't tell if I'm reading something I've missed in PW or if I'm spoiling myself MGS5 stuff.

I don't remember there being any other custcene after the true ending (you get a few cassette tapes detailing
Paz's day-to-day life on Mother Base
but that's about it — and those cassette tapes are in Ground Zeroes too anyway). Although, if you don't do all the missions you will miss
Big Boss and Kaz having fun in a box

Voror

Uhm. I think I beat the first game in 8 hours. But that was on my like 5th playthrough. Expect about 10-12 hours for the first two, about 15-20 for 3, and like 20 for MGS4. Very doable if you can consistently play the games.

Hmm that's actually not too bad at all. Would I be fine playing just the mainline Solid games or do I need to play the original Metal Gear games and the side games?

Dynasty8

For those who haven't played Peace Walker...I recommend just reading up AND watching a YouTube recap of the full story.

MGSV is around the corner and IMO it's not a bad idea going in fresh (gameplay wise). Just watch and read up on Peace Walker and avoid all other Metal Gear threads on Gaf...I'm already seeing spoilers for The Phantom Pain.

It's been a long time coming... But we have 10 days left!!!! :) Cannot wait.

Top Bottom