• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have 1 month to play all of Metal Gear Solid.

Hmm that's actually not too bad at all. Would I be fine playing just the mainline Solid games or do I need to play the original Metal Gear games and the side games?

You'll be fine skipping MG1 & 2. They give a decent synopsis in MGS. You will be like "who?" at one point, but the mountains of exposition will plug that hole. I'd say it's even easier playing now that in '98 because you're at least semi aware of Big Boss instead of him just being some narration tool.

Just don't skip Peace Walker. It's the direct prequel to TPP and many of the characters are essential to MGSV.

(Or just watch the "movie" version on YouTube...)

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I think I'm closing in on the end of MGS4 now (just beat Mantis) and man, this shit is absolutely unbearable. While the story of this game is somewhat funny in a goofy way until the end of act 4, now it's getting completely retarded. By now I think there is not a single sequence that doesn't have some cringeworthy stuff going on.

Snakes smoking obsession, Raiden holding back a fucking ship, Ocelot faking to die from FoxDie, that overdone Mantis PS1 references.... There is only so much retardedness I can take for a certain amount of time. Had to quit after an hour of this nonsense. And the worst part of it is that I know I still have to endure that proposal scene...

I don't understand how Kojima could let it go this far. I mean the series was always a little goofy here and there but fuck me if this doesn't take it to another level.

Thank god I'm almost done with this...

I think I'm closing in on the end of MGS4 now (just beat Mantis) and man, this shit is absolutely unbearable. While the story of this game is somewhat funny in a goofy way until the end of act 4, now it's getting completely retarded. By now I think there is not a single sequence that doesn't have some cringeworthy stuff going on.

Snakes smoking obsession, Raiden holding back a fucking ship, Ocelot faking to die from FoxDie, that overdone Mantis PS1 references.... There is only so much retardedness I can take for a certain amount of time. Had to quit after an hour of this nonsense. And the worst part of it is that I know I still have to endure that proposal scene...

I don't understand how Kojima could let it go this far. I mean the series was always a little goofy here and there but fuck me if this doesn't take it to another level.

I completely agree with you on this. It seems like after a certain point he just stopped caring.

LOL

Man, I never get tired of hearing reactions to MGS4 (^____^)

I FUCKING DID IT!

I've FINALLY, legit beat Peace Walker

Total time (skipping cutscenes entirely): 13:00 hours or so.

I'm honestly super glad I toughed it out as now my hype for MGS5 is in hyper mode. The closing speech that Big Boss gives in PW really cements everything and I can't wait!
Also, the Zeke battle is pretty damn hilarious/tongue n' cheek and fun but, like all the other vehicles battles, has WAAAY too much damn health :/

So now I'm moving on to Ground Zeroes to complete all the stuff I never did (XOF patches, etc.)

still can't be bothered to actually finish Acts 3,4, and 5 of MGS4, lol

There wasn't supposed to be a sequel to MGS2 in the first place.

I was thinking maybe the ship had actually stopped and Raiden really wasn't holding it back. But something that big wouldn't be able to stop that fast.

Dineren

Banned
Well, completed the second game for the first time. I think that cutscene before the final boss might have been the longest one I've ever seen in a game. I'm a little worried about the MGS 3 since I found 2 to be quite a bit tougher than 1 and I've heard the 3rd game is even tougher. At this rate it might be tough to finish them all in time.

Are there any time saving tips that are helpful in 3 that might not be immediately apparent? Would prefer no spoilers if possible. Thanks!

Well, completed the second game for the first time. I think that cutscene before the final boss might have been the longest one I've ever seen in a game. I'm a little worried about the MGS 3 since I found 2 to be quite a bit tougher than 1 and I've heard the 3rd game is even tougher. At this rate it might be tough to finish them all in time.

Are there any time saving tips that are helpful in 3 that might not be immediately apparent? Would prefer no spoilers if possible. Thanks!

Use the Dpad to sneak up on people, the game never tells you but using the dpad makes your footsteps completely silent.

I find MGS3 to be easier than 2, there's a lot more room to maneuver around enemies, and the new camera perspective makes it easy to scope out the environment.

Roussow

A handheld game.

I love the cutscenes in PW. Ashley Wood is a great artist and a perfect fit for Shinkawa's style.

I missed this comment. But yeah, your're damn right, the art is beautiful, and fits Metal Gear really well -- just one of the first renditions of the final fight with The Boss was frustrating, the QTE's were really tightly timed, and it was using the d-pad for the prompts, which I wasn't expecting.

It didn't bother me outside of this one thing, that series was just a little annoying -- the QTE's not the cutscene quality. As far as interactive cutscenes go, the one where you rode the horse and dodged missiles was great -- reminded me of the driving sequences in Valient Hearts, really charming stuff.

tl;dr -- QTE's can sometimes suck, the cutscenes were great.

It's the only entry in the series I've never had any desire to replay. Partly because of the amount of cringe worthy scenes, and partly due to my saltiness over where Hideo took Solid Snake's story.

It's not a bad game, but if I want to play something from the MGS saga there are much better entries to go to.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Ok, my body is ready for MGSV folks.

Finished the Peace Walker movie this morning. What a bliss this games story was after 4. Leaving
Paz's stupid underwear showdown
aside, the story was really good. I know the AI stuff is stupid and all but I take that any day instead of the shit that is going down in 4....

Anyway, after that I finished GZ in like 20 minutes (lol) and now I'm ready to go.
Going from the old MGS to GZ is really crazy. What a mindblowing improvement when it comes to controls. Can't wait to play a whole 20 hour game with those.

That said, from all my heart, I hope that Kojima keeps the mood of GZ for MGSV and leaves out the goofy shit from the main story. Now I have no problem having some of that in the game as this stuff is the trademark of the series (and from the little gameplay I have seen it is in there) but for the love of god I hope it stay out of the main story. Loved the desperate and brutal mood from GZ and if we have main characters pooping around again I swear to god I'm going berserk.

Roussow

Ok, my body is ready for MGSV folks.

Finished the Peace Walker movie this morning. What a bliss this games story was after 4. Leaving
Paz's stupid underwear showdown
aside, the story was really good. I know the AI stuff is stupid and all but I take that any day instead of the shit that is going down in 4....

Anyway, after that I finished GZ in like 20 minutes (lol) and now I'm ready to go.
Going from the old MGS to GZ is really crazy. What a mindblowing improvement when it comes to controls. Can't wait to play a whole 20 hour game with those.

That said, from all my heart, I hope that Kojima keeps the mood of GZ for MGSV and leaves out the goofy shit from the main story. Now I have no problem having some of that in the game as this stuff is the trademark of the series (and from the little gameplay I have seen it is in there) but for the love of god I hope it stay out of the main story. Loved the desperate and brutal mood from GZ and if we have main characters pooping around again I swear to god I'm going berserk.

I don't know how I feel about the really, really heavy handed implications of what happened to Paz and that
second bomb.
It made me uncomfortable, as it should, sure -- but it was a bit... gross? It's hard for me to express, but I don't fully like the way that was handled, there wasn't much poignancy or grace to it's delivery.

The shock value is there, certainly, and it's effective in it's shock value -- but given how TPP seems to deal with some more taboo subjects, like the child soldier stuff, I'm concerned to how that's presented in game. I have hope though, and TPP could retroactively make Paz's scenes and plot in GZ a little better, and reviews have said other taboo subjects have been treated well.

I guess we'll all see how well in a week -- thank god Until Dawn comes out in a few days, and can fill my time until TPP.

Stevey

I bought a PS3 a couple of years ago specifically for this series and Demons Souls

Left it to the last minute, but I just finished 3 last night, going to start PW tonight, as I've not played them before.
Not played 4 either, but that might have to wait- not sure I could squeeze that in as well.

Dineren

Banned
I bought a PS3 a couple of years ago specifically for this series and Demons Souls

Left it to the last minute, but I just finished 3 last night, going to start PW tonight, as I've not played them before.
Not played 4 either, but that might have to wait- not sure I could squeeze that in as well.

This is where I'm at. I was hoping to get through the entire series, but it looks like I'll have to skip 4 for now. In 3, how much more time did it take you after killing
The Fury
? I'm hoping to finish it today so I can start PW tomorrow.

Ended up finishing 3 today, it was pretty amazing, definitely my favorite MGS so far. Looking forward to starting Peace Walker tomorrow.

nikos

Ugh, I'm really not enjoying Peace Walker so far. It just doesn't feel like MGS.

I'm up to a mission that requires R&D on an item, meaning I have to wait or do Extra Missions. Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

Thinking about skipping to MGS4 and either coming back or just reading/watching the PW story instead of playing. :(

VodevilX

Banned
Well, shit... I can start playing on 20, Thursday, and I've yet to catch up with MGS3 & 4, PW is also on the collection disc, but I don't have a clue about that...

Oookey! MGS 3 & 4 done and done! Only Peace Walker left... though I never fell for these handheld ports, so I rather might skip it for now. Maybe later on I'll get back to it.
Anyways Diablo3 Season4 starts tonight, so that's my program till 01.

nikos

Welp, I was about 3 hours into MGS4 when my launch day PS3 decided to die. I knew this day would eventually come. Nine years and it couldn't hang on for about 10 more hours.

This really sucks, as I spent the last couple of weeks catching up. I suppose it doesn't really matter, since MGS4 takes place after MGSV, but there could be references and I was really enjoying the game.

Maybe I can fix it, time to start googling.

EDIT: "Rented" a PS3 from GameStop. Have to start the game over. Hopefully this one doesn't die.

//ARCANUM

Okay, I beat MGS, watched Peace Walker and beat Ground Zeroes. Got some questions:

Where the hell did Kaz come from? he's just *there* at the beginning of Peace Walker?

And why the hell does Big Boss want to rescue Paz in GZ?
Didn't she die in Peace Walker? Isn't she an enemy anyways?

Luigi87

Okay, I beat MGS, watched Peace Walker and beat Ground Zeroes. Got some questions:

Where the hell did Kaz come from? he's just *there* at the beginning of Peace Walker?

And why the hell does Big Boss want to rescue Paz in GZ?
Didn't she die in Peace Walker? Isn't she an enemy anyways?

It is never specified when BB and Kaz meet, unfortunately.

Paz has vital information of the Militaires Sans Frontieres. Big Boss doesn't want that to fall into enemy hands. That's why rescuing her is a priority.
Turns out she survived

//ARCANUM

It is never specified when BB and Kaz meet, unfortunately.

Paz has vital information of the Militaires Sans Frontieres. Big Boss doesn't want that to fall into enemy hands. That's why rescuing her is a priority.

Ooooohhh right. I forgot that part. I actually played GZ before MGS3 and PW so that's why I was confused. And what an odd thing to just have such a major character appear out of nowhere and never explain anything about him really lol (Kaz).

Thanks!

nikos

Really glad I ended up buying another PS3 to finish MGS4. It ended up being my favorite in the series. I have a feeling MGSV isn't going to change that.

//ARCANUM

Are we supposed to not know who
Cipher/Zero
is yet?

edit - also is there any important info i need from the Ground Zeroes tapes? They're so damn boring to listen to.

finalflame

Hey, I'm doing this now! But imma likely be another week or two. I just finished 2 yesterday, starting 3 now. I skipped MG1 and MG2, started on MGS.

Do you guys think I should throw in Portable Ops? I hear it's part of the canon. I plan on playing PW and 4, then GZ and TPP.

PO is indeed part of the canon, but doesn't contribute much to the overall story, other than to introduce Campbell and Grey Fox (who are then nowhere to be found in PW). And I guess to show BB first getting into the business of recruitment.

I think it's a pretty fun game though. A lot of people don't.

Harbin

Neo Member
PO is indeed part of the canon, but doesn't contribute much to the overall story, other than to introduce Campbell and Grey Fox (who are then nowhere to be found in PW). And I guess to show BB first getting into the business of recruitment.

I think it's a pretty fun game though. A lot of people don't.

I thought Kojima said in an interview that PO isn't part of the canon.

I thought Kojima said in an interview that PO isn't part of the canon.

Well, Geoff Keighley directly asked him, and his answer was... Weird and rambling. He didn't really say it wasn't canon. But he said basically that while he wrote the plot, he didn't write the final story and didn't really approve of some of the finer details. But he didn't say what, and he has yet to contradict anything from it.

So... It's probably canon unless/until he feels the need to undo something from it. And since TPP is probably the end of the line, I'm thinking PO will get left in ultimately.

Luigi87

Well, Geoff Keighley directly asked him, and his answer was... Weird and rambling. He didn't really say it wasn't canon. But he said basically that while he wrote the plot, he didn't write the final story and didn't really approve of some of the finer details. But he didn't say what, and he has yet to contradict anything from it.

So... It's probably canon unless/until he feels the need to undo something from it. And since TPP is probably the end of the line, I'm thinking PO will get left in ultimately.

Yeah while I don't think he's too fond of it, it does remain canon.

Act 3 of MGS4 also has a poster of Portable Ops in it.
metalgearopsfull.jpg

Walpurgis

Banned
I've played MGS2, MGS3 and MGS4 this past week. Now I am forcing my way through Peace Walker. I am really enjoying the story and love the presentation but I cannot stand the game's structure. I hate how the missions are structured as these short spurts that end with "to be continued" and I really don't like the tiny stages. Coming off of the incredible MGS4, Peace Walker's gameplay is so primitive and lacking in features, it's insane. I do like the Mother Base stuff though. I finished the first act and started Metal Gear Rising (loving that so so much). I'll restrain my urge to play Rising and try to finish Peace Walker sometime this week, I guess. MGSV already arrived at my house this morning so I have a fire on my ass to get this done.

//ARCANUM

I've played MGS2, MGS3 and MGS4 this past week. Now I am forcing my way through Peace Walker. I am really enjoying the story and love the presentation but I cannot stand the game's structure. I hate how the missions are structured as these short spurts that end with "to be continued" and I really don't like the tiny stages. Coming off of the incredible MGS4, Peace Walker's gameplay is so primitive and lacking in features, it's insane. I do like the Mother Base stuff though. I finished the first act and started Metal Gear Rising (loving that so so much). I'll restrain my urge to play Rising and try to finish Peace Walker sometime this week, I guess. MGSV already arrived at my house this morning so I have a fire on my ass to get this done.

I played about 4 hrs of peace walker and got bored. Do what I did and watch the movie version on youtube. The gameplay in MGSV is the better version of Peace Walker anyways.

Walpurgis

Banned
I played about 4 hrs of peace walker and got bored. Do what I did and watch the movie version on youtube. The gameplay in MGSV is the better version of Peace Walker anyways.

I just can't. I bought the HD collection and feel that it is my duty to play all of it. I'm also a huge Metal Gear Solid fan so I need to experience no matter what. I'll just play it bit by bit (as it was meant to be). I'm not in much rush. :p

Walpurgis

Banned
Working my way through the collection at the moment and while I like the story of MGS 1 I just can't stick the gameplay. I feel it's just a bit too outdated at this point. Considering watching 1 on YouTube as a movie, playing 2,3,4 watch PW, playing GZ then TPP. Is this a good idea? Considered just going through 3, PW, GZ to get to TPP asap but want to experience the whole story.

I think the gameplay is very important. I played MGS1 a few years ago so I get what you mean. The graphics are damn ugly and the gameplay is old as hell. But Kojima does stuff that other devs just don't consider. And the codec conversations are really great. I strongly recommend that you play MGS1. It will make you really appreciate the leap to MGS2 and so on. You don't want to play MGSV then realise that you love MGS and try to go back to MGS1. That's when it will feel really outdated.

M.D

Working my way through the collection at the moment and while I like the story of MGS 1 I just can't stick the gameplay. I feel it's just a bit too outdated at this point. Considering watching 1 on YouTube as a movie, playing 2,3,4 watch PW, playing GZ then TPP. Is this a good idea? Considered just going through 3, PW, GZ to get to TPP asap but want to experience the whole story.
I am currently replaying MGS and plan to play the reet of the series in preparation for Phantom Pain.

The controls are definitely outdated, but I got used to them fairly quickly. The only part where it actually bothered me was in boss fights and one specific encounter.

Even tho I did remember a lot of the game itself, I didn't remember a lot of the plot lines and small details.
I still chuckled at all thr silly moments of breaking the fourth wall, it must have been mind blowing back then

I just reached thr second disk, so hopefully I'll finish it tomorrow and start the second game (for the first time ever!)

Walpurgis

Banned
I can admire it for what it was for its time but the boss fights I've had have been incredibly frustrating so far and it's just killing my enjoyment. The codec conversations are very funny though.

Oh right, the boss fights. They can be quite difficult. I remember being stuck on the Hind D for a while. YouTube videos can help and since it is a PS1 game, there could be ways to cheese the boss since there are no patches.

Be sure to play on the lowest difficulty for MGS2 since it is in a similar style to MGS1. I played MGS3 on normal and MGS4 on hard and they are much easier with the modern controls, controllable camera and stealth camo. MGS4 especially.

Davide

Since it sounds like MGSV is light on story unfortunately, which is why I was interested in the game mainly, I'll probably just play it without playing any of the others.

Foffy

Banned
Since it sounds like MGSV is light on story unfortunately, which is why I was interested in the game mainly, I'll probably just play it without playing any of the others.

I believe it relies heavily on Peace Walker, which was originally MGSV.

Top Bottom