• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have 1 month to play all of Metal Gear Solid.

MGS2 is Kojima's magnum opus. 5 looks like it might be on track to topple that, but we'll see.

2>3>1>PW>4

MGS4 is straight trash in almost all categories.

RDreamer

4=2>1>>>>3

That's how I feel about it. Opening things up while keeping the same old control scheme made 3 a major failure for me.

I played aaallll of the Metal Gears before 4 came out and then went into that. (Even played the really old 16 bit ones) Was a fun experience, but I'm not doing it again for TPP.

dmshaposv

Also, MGS3 might be the last game where we'll have longwinded codec convos. MGS4 had barely any, and MGSV just got rid of the codec thing entirely for a radio VO button with stupid kaz.

I'm doing the same as OP and finished MGS1 and really enjoyed it. Went to MGS2 and I'm still on the bunker. The game/controls just feels different for some reason. It feels off.

This will happen to you for each game. I beat MGS2 more times than I can count and on European Extreme a couple times... I died more than 10 times during the opening sections of MGS 3. At least 5 or 6 the opening level of MGS 4. Each game plays its own way and it takes time to adjust.

RDreamer

I will fucking cut you.

Play 1, 2, 3, and 4. If you're gonna skip anything, its Peace Walker.

Why would you skip Peace Walker? Maybe it's not the best, but it's pretty clear its one of the most needed in relation to Ground zeroes/TPP's story.

dmshaposv

I played Metal Gear Rising for 30 mins.It was a better game than MGS4. It did a better job parodying kojima than kojima parodying himself.

Actually, fuck peace walker. Its worse than MGS4.

Jawmuncher

I'm doing this right now, but won't bother with MG 1 at all. Played it once and will never again. MG2 on the other hand I might if I have time.

I got a download code for the The Phantom Pain with my graphics card, and I have only ever played and beaten Metal Gear Solid 2. I am eventually going to get a PS4, so maybe I can figure out a way to get them all on that and complete the series.

Honestly in the interest of you not getting burnt out, I'd just stick to either just MGS3 or Peace Walker. Maaaaybe both. But beyond that, I think you'll be doing yourself a disservice. Save some metal gear games for some other time and you'll enjoy them more.

I've played and replayed MGS games over the years and every time I do, it's nice because I usually take long brakes in between. And I also peice together the story and world a little more every time.

Vaev

MGS 1,2,4,3,PW would be my recommendation. Honestly the series can be played in any order, with players learning more about each chapter be playing the ones before/after it. Pretty amazing series.

dmshaposv

at this point i would suggest watch 'MGS the movie' for MGS1 and MGS2 as you might not find their controls aged that well.

Definitely play MGS3 the subsistence variety. NOT snake eater. I.e. the one with modern controls. It aged well and is fun still.

MGS4 - just play the first 2 acts and then watch the rest on youtube. Its all downhill from eastern europe.

skip peace walker. Absolute trash.

Play Ground Zeroes. The best controls in a MGS game to date. You will also transition well into TPP as you now know the controls.

Thank me later.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
at this point i would suggest watch 'MGS the movie' for MGS1 and MGS2 as you might not find their controls aged that well.

Definitely play MGS3 the subsistence variety. NOT snake eater. I.e. the one with modern controls. It aged well and is fun still.

MGS4 - just play the first 2 acts and then watch the rest on youtube. Its all downhill from eastern europe.

skip peace walker. Absolute trash.

Play Ground Zeroes. The best controls in a MGS game to date. You will also transition well into TPP as you now know the controls.

Thank me later.

The story from PW is integral to understanding what is happening in GZ and TPP.

You should at least watch a summary of the story.

dmshaposv

The story from PW is integral to understanding what is happening in GZ and TPP.

You should at least watch a summary of the story.

They summarize the shittyness of PW in GZ loading screens. In fact it does a good job at summarizing most important events from MGS3 to PW. Good enough for me.

all he needs to know is paz 'she surfifed'. boom, done.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Reading this thread makes me realize that in 10 years, TPP will be considered a mediocre, boring, shit game by some people.

OP, try not to skip any game. I think you might appreciate TPP more if you play them all. I do suggest you to YT the PW story, since it's hard as hell to play it nowadays since it seems nobody plays coop anymore and would take you a long time to farm good items to finish it all the way to both endings.

Peace walker should be youtubed. There is too much grinding and honestly the game is a very limited experience mechanically.

MGS4 has great controls and core mechanics that can't be used in the majority of the game. The final 3/5 of the game are nothing but cutscenes, setpieces and boss fights. If you actually like, you know, the stealth gameplay, MGS4 is very lackluster. :p

Reading this thread makes me realize that in 10 years, TPP will be considered a mediocre, boring, shit game by some people.

OP, try not to skip any game. I think you might appreciate TPP more if you play them all. I do suggest you to YT the PW story, since it's hard as hell to play it nowadays since it seems nobody plays coop anymore and would take you a long time to farm good items to finish it all the way to both endings.
There hasn't been too much revisionist history when it comes to MGS. 2 was hated at first, but that was pretty much by design. 4 might have been lauded by GAF as a whole but even during the initial post release hype there was some backlash that has been amplified by time due to people going back and realizing just how much was retconned or ruined by its story. 3 has almost always been liked, especially after the subsistence expansion.

SJRB

Gold Member

Well hopefully in 10 years we live in an age where people get life without parole for saying shit like that.

This is what im gonna be doing on my Twitch, all the metal gear games i can get my hands on
There's a twitch channel called the Outer Haven Network that frequently does speed runs or full story playthrough, with all the Easter eggs, of every canon MGS game including Rising.

Did anybody really turn on any of them besides MGS4? MGS2 has been hated since release and everyone still loves MGS1 and 3.

Frankly, I don't think anyone really "turned" on mgs4 either. What happened was the same with tons of AAA games, the passionate vocal hardcore fans keep talking shit for years while the defenders have already moved on to the next game.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
There's a twitch channel called the Outer Haven Network that frequently does speed runs or full story playthrough, with all the Easter eggs, of every canon MGS game including Rising.

Love the guys over there. The chat's awesome always, except when the Paz diaries are played and that other tape from GZ.

They play Rising, although I don't think the streamers like it very much.

Gator86

Here we go:

1 > 3 >>> 4 > 2

This is the correct answer.

For its time, 1 had stellar gameplay and I think it has the best balance of serious story and insane bullshit. 3 is right there on gameplay but it's been a while so I'm assuming I'm forgetting some of the stupid Kojima nonsense from that one.

MGS4 is incomprehensible garbage. I remember just staring at cutscene after cutscene of incoherent babble about nanomachines. As I wrote in another post, 4 is one of the most intellectually vapid games I've encountered that actually intends to be intelligent. It's like a parody of a game with something worthwhile to say. Thank God it actually plays like a somewhat modern video game.

2 is my least favorite by far. I like the story, characters, setting, themes, etc. far less than any other game in the series. The whole thing is basically Kojima furiously masturbating to the idea that Kojima is a genius and aside from a few specific bits that have aged well, it's mostly nonsense. Do you know what day it is tomorrow? Fuck you.

warheat

Skip 2, it's nothing but trash.

rXQEhI2.gif

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just started the complete playthrough myself. Given that MGSV is going to be the last legit one it seems I have to do this.

That said, oh my god are the controls of MGS1 killing me. xD

Stillone of the greatest games ever made. Got crazy feels during the intro. And it's nice to hear Snake eithout Hayter voice once more. Playing the classic German version.

Paasei

MGS:GZ was the first one I really played. Only played parts of the first 2 games BEFORE that. I was too young to understand, watching my older brother play.

Luckily I had an entire summer last yeast year to play through all of them. You're going to love it, but so many games, so fast, with that story? Damn dude, hopefully your mind is ready.

Oh, and I personally liked 3 the most.

clove

Neo Member
Beats me, 4 is legitimately a mediocre game.

Mediocre games aren't debated 7 years later.

Mediocre games don't have industry-leading voice acting, animations, or models that hold up to this day.

If you hated MGS4's direction, I get you. But it's not mediocre.

Top Bottom