• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have 1 month to play all of Metal Gear Solid.

Kindekuma

Banned
One can definitely finish the series within a month if you put in the hours to do so. There's always people in OuterGAF to help with Peace Walker missions as well if you want to progress through the story really fast.

RedSwirl

Ranking the games in an opinionated thread like this is useless. The individual games are too divisive and play to different people's tastes.

To the OP:

--This isn't an impossible task. Sans cut scenes most Metal Gear games are around six hours of gameplay. With cut scenes maybe 20 hours at most. If you're short on time you might want to YouTube Peace Walker because it's by far the outlier in terms of length.

--You can skip Metal Gear 1 but Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake is highly recommended. Maybe not essential, but highly recommended. I think it's still a really good game gameplaywise. It's pretty much MGS1 eight years before MGS1.

--MGS2 is really divisive and that's exactly why you should play it --- to see what your own opinion of it is.

--There is a huge shift in the gameplay design going from MGS2 to MGS3, basically cutting the series into two halves. MGS2 and the games before it mostly operate like top-down 2D games. They're heavily based on the template set by MG2:SS. MGS3 is where things get more three-dimensional in terms of the level design and how the enemy AI behaves. It's also where they take away your soliton radar. Going into MGS3 you'll pretty much have to re-learn now to play the game.

Why rush through it at all? That's just going to harm the experience of actually playing. There's no reason that you *have* to play V when it releases, just play it when you catch up naturally. Unless you just want to recap the story, in which case you have better options than playing the games.

MGS2 is amazing and I would love to be able to experience it for the first time again, it's not perfect but it's my favorite out of the numbered series so far.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I have the perfect solution - play them backwards!
That way you can get TPP on release day, enjoy it like everyone else, then afterwards play through the games in reverse chronological order at your leisure and it will be like putting a puzzle together. Just think of each game like a prequel to the last one you played. :)

Smirfu

If you don't mind reading instead of playing, you can get the MGS4 Database in ps3.

Edit: just checked psn. It's still there. Free.

dmshaposv

Mediocre games don't have industry-leading voice acting, animations, or models that hold up to this day.

10817205-1401722137-221877.jpg

This game has all of the above mentioned, and will most likely hold up really well for the next 6-7 years. Mediocre as shit.

Play them all, the msx games are worth playing imo, especially metal gear 2. All in release order, and take your time, 1 month is really not enough to play this wonderful series.

My mgs ranking:

MGS1
MGS3
MG2
MGS4
MGS2
MGS GZ
MGS Portable Ops
MGS Peace Walker
MG1

You guys don't get it for saying OP shouldn't skip 2 and 4. Ultimately he shouldn't, but in order to not burn out here he should only play the mgs games important to the story of 5.

Personally I'd say play 1, then 3, then watch PW online (I couldn't get behind the structure of that game), then GZ. After V, take a break then play 2 and 4.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
http://s3.thcdn.com/productimg/0/600/600/05/10817205-1401722137-221877.jpg[/IM G]

This game has all of the above mentioned, and will most likely hold up really well for the next 6-7 years. Mediocre as shit.[/QUOTE]

While I do agree with the sentiment that the Order had a lot of problems, that still doesn't make MGS4 mediocre.

Skip 2, it's nothing but trash.

Who are the Patriots?

1,2,3,4,PW OP. Simple and Sweet. Unless you suck at games you can easily plow through MGS 1, 2, and 3 in prob a week and a half. 4 and PW maybe around a week as well. GZ takes like half a day for the story, but has endless hours of entertainment.

My MGS ranking 2>3>1>4>PW

clove

Neo Member
10817205-1401722137-221877.jpg

This game has all of the above mentioned, and will most likely hold up really well for the next 6-7 years. Mediocre as shit.

I doubt The Order will be 'debated' 7 years from now, it was kind of overshadowed by the media controversy about its length. That's what will stick out in people's minds if they're talking about it in 2022. You won't find anyone calling it the best release of 2015 like MGS4 in 2008.

Nonetheless, I'll admit you're right that mediocre games CAN have those things I mentioned.

Error1355

Mediocre games aren't debated 7 years later.

Mediocre games don't have industry-leading voice acting, animations, or models that hold up to this day.

If you hated MGS4's direction, I get you. But it's not mediocre.

I'm a huge MGS fan, but the 'mediocre games aren't debated 7 years later' stuff doesn't make sense to me. There is a large and still active fanbase of MGS. Kojima could have literally released a turd named MGS and it would be part of MGS debates. =P

MGS2 is one of the best games of all time.
Boo this man

Each of them can be beaten in one sitting if you have the time. Two sittings per game will take care of 'em no problem. And if you have the spare time, go back and play Twin Snakes at some point. No need to argue which is better, but it isn't something you should miss.

Walpurgis

Banned
I already beat MGS1 a few years back and am halfway through MGS2. I haven't played in like 2 years so the last thing I remember was fighting some
fat man
and dealing with a
hostage situation

I want to get back into it today. Are there any super detailed summary videos for MGS1 and MGS2? Time isn't a big deal for me.

Branson

You know you don't have to play mgs5 the day it comes out right? Just take your time and finish the rest first. It will still be there. And you will get more out of it.

clove

Neo Member
I'm a huge MGS fan, but the 'mediocre games aren't debated 7 years later' stuff doesn't make sense to me. There is a large and still active fanbase of MGS. Kojima could have literally released a turd named MGS and it would be part of MGS debates. =P

When I think of a mediocre game, I don't think of a turd, I think of something that isn't bad, but isn't great. It's not broken, it works, but not particularly well. The models, dialogue, voice acting, characters, and gameplay are basically forgettable.

In that sense, can you think of many mediocre game from 7 years ago that are being talked about today? Maybe a few, but almost by definition they are forgotten.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Oh, there's just one important bit of advice before you start playing the older games!

It's always frustrating to see people play these for the first time while they struggle with figuring out the simplest actions, how to take out dudes while unarmed, or even how to manually reload, etc.

Read the manual, at least the section detailing the controls and all the moves. The games just kind of throw you into the action without explaining much, (While overexplaining every little detail about the plots.) and the control set-up is a bit unconventional. (But not hard to learn.)
OP, the above is very valuable advice. Some of the most important actions you can use in these games are not properly explained to the player in-game. Reading the manual will save you a lot of frustration in the long run.

I've seen way too many MGS1 Let's Players that had no idea you could snap an enemy's neck, or that the pistol has a lock-on feature. Don't let something like that happen you. Trust me, the sooner you master the controls, the less headaches you'll have later on.

MGS1 also has a few VR missions that basically function as a tutorial. You can access them from the title screen. I highly recommend giving them a shot before diving straight into the story campaign.

Other notes -- are Metal Gear, and Metal Gear: Solid Snake essential playing? Or can I easily just read up or view the essential story content there?

Yes, they are. I'd say, only play those two, MG2 (you call it MG:SS) is still the definitive Metal Gear game to me.

You might want to replay Peace Walker I guess, but I think you won't have time to replay all those games.

Boke1879

See all these topics of people trying out the series for the first time warms my heart. My favorite series of all time and I think it's amazing you're trying to give it a fair shake.

I feel everyone should at least try the series.

That said OP take your time. The game aren't so long you can't complete them in a timely manner but I also want you to be able to soak in each game. If you start today I'd say you can give yourself about 3 weeks to complete MGS1,2,3 and 4.

Peace Walker is a direct prequel to Ground Zeroes but imo it's the long of the series because you have to grind to actually get the full ending. I'd almost suggest watching a story playthrough of that game that shows the true ending.

mcz117chief

I'd also be curious to know peoples ranking of their personal favorites in the series?
I enjoy hearing Neogafs thoughts on MGS.

Metal Gear Solid: 8/10 (finished 3 times)
Metal Gear Solid 2: 7/10 (finished once)
Metal Gear Solid 3: 7/10 (finished once)
Metal Gear Solid 4: 8/10 (finished 3 times)
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops: 9/10 (finished it about 15 times now lol)
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker: 8/10 (finished once)
Metal Gear Rising: 9/10 (finished it about 5 times)
Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes: 9/10 (finished it twice)

SkylineRKR

Peace Walker is a bit shit and for the true ending you have to RNG grind (I think its random when those extra missions pop up?), but its very important to MGS:V, sadly.

MGS1 is very short, I beat it in 2 nights when I bought it. Approx. 5-6 hours in total.

2 and 3 take somewhat longer, perhaps about 12 hrs each. I think Snake Eater is shit, but Subsistence is great.

I'd skip 4 if you already played it anyway. And read up the old games in the database of 3.

dmshaposv

Guys im not saying MGS4 is 'mediocre' like the order. I was refering to how a mediocre game can have very high production values.

MGS4 at least has some fresh game design ideas and some compelling story moments to warrant going through it once.

That's pretty ridiculous considering its one of the best-and required to know what's happening in MGSV

like I said last page, GZ has a good enough summary for everything in the backstory page and its loading screen. I can't stop shitting on PW nearly enough, can I? :p

Peace Walker is a bit shit and for the true ending you have to RNG grind (I think its random when those extra missions pop up?), but its very important to MGS:V, sadly.

Nah, the Zadornov missions, (If you're referring to those.) are not random, a new one pops up every time you finish a certain number of missions, I think it's three. These can be old missions that you've already finished ages ago too, so you can just do some short shooting range missions inbetween or something like that. You don't have to beat all those extra bosses that pop up after the first ending and whatnot.

Only the last Zadornov mission has some additional requirements you need to fulfill, but overall it shouldn't take overly long to do all of this.

catbrush

Play MGS1-4 and then power through Peace Walker with a buddy. The story missions are 2 player co-op and the bosses are for up to 4 players.

I will help you with the bosses.

Or just watch the cut scenes on YouTube.

Top Bottom