• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have a picture that is broken can I fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesu

The thumbnail looks fine but when I look at it it's fucked...

Xyl7mwJ.jpg

Can I fix it?

No. There's basically nothing that can be done. Theoretically, there might be a bit or two in the file that can be flipped and then everything else would sort itself out, but there's no way to know and it would be impossible to find anyway.

On the other hand, this would make a killer shirt print.

jesu

Can someone with photo shop skills blend them???

7d7bc870d361aa1758d02230e5967992.png

I'm getting there...

31eda0c247b7f27113e820b963c78904.png

How can I zoom in more than that?

Can you upload the actual jpeg file, without any resizing? The one in the OP looks like it's been blown up from a smaller image (and that's really unusually scaled noise - typically it's per-pixel noise, that seems - again - to be per-pixel noise that's been blown up).

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Can you upload the actual jpeg file, without any resizing? The one in the OP looks like it's been blown up from a smaller image (and that's really unusually scaled noise - typically it's per-pixel noise, that seems - again - to be per-pixel noise that's been blown up).

Imgur does its own thing with uploads I think.

jesu

I used imgur
Is there something else better I can try?

That's pretty good, cheers, I'll save that.
This is as good as I've gotten so far

efd9757b89695e2023d1da8517baf319.jpg

Have you tried turning your computer off and then back on again?

No, I'll try that now,

See

I've experienced this exact same issue a few years back. Did you save it through Photoshop by any chance? Saving it to a networked drive / server?

I think the connection was sluggish and it didn't save properly causing the loss of information. The thumbnail, as you said, was normal. Sorry, as far as I know, there wasn't a solution. We lost about a week's worth of work too...

That's pretty good, cheers, I'll save that.

There's not really anything else that can be done without reconstruction. There's enough information in the image that you could copy/paste and tweak other bits of the image to nearly recreate the original image, but it would take hours to do it well.

All I did here was take the thumbnail and blow it up over the corrupted parts. The thumbnail doesn't have any more information, hence why it's so blurry, and there's nothing that a computer can do to find that missing information. It can make educated guesses, like with a sharpening filter, but the "enhance" filter you see on cop shows doesn't actually exist. Getting a clearer picture at this point would involve making shit up, automated or manually added.

jesu

Hang on, Windows is updating....

I've experienced this exact same issue a few years back. Did you save it through Photoshop by any chance? Saving it to a networked drive / server?

I think the connection was sluggish and it didn't save properly causing the loss of information. The thumbnail, as you said, was normal. Sorry, as far as I know, there wasn't a solution. We lost about a week's worth of work too...

No just from a phone to my PC, since then I've updated to Windows 10

Try renaming the file to a different extension like png or gif

Give me a sec...

edit, nah :(

jesu

There's not really anything else that can be done without reconstruction. There's enough information in the image that you could copy/paste and tweak other bits of the image to nearly recreate the original image, but it would take hours to do it well.

All I did here was take the thumbnail and blow it up over the corrupted parts. The thumbnail doesn't have any more information, hence why it's so blurry, and there's nothing that a computer can do to find that missing information. It can make educated guesses, like with a sharpening filter, but the "enhance" filter you see on cop shows doesn't actually exist. Getting a clearer picture at this point would involve making shit up, automated or manually added.

The thumb nail doesn't have that funky scrambled shit though, so i thought it might be fixable with some programme I don't have.
Oh well, from now on I'll take every picture twice!
If it has a funny face.

See

Hang on, Windows is updating....

No just from a phone to my PC, since then I've updated to Windows 10

Give me a sec...

It must've lost info during the transfer process. Do you still have the original on your phone? Apart from that, there's no solution, information has been lost and there's no real way to find it.

The thumb nail doesn't have that funky scrambled shit though, so i thought it might be fixable with some programme I don't have.
Oh well, from now on I'll take every picture twice!
If it has a funny face.

Not how it works, unfortunately. The thumbnail is saved as separate data so it can be loaded more quickly than the large image and have a lower memory footprint. Otherwise file browsers would be a lot slower than they currently are. Something must have happened to the main image at some time after the thumbnail was saved.

what's it called to hide information in an image? i forget

You're probably thinking of metadata.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom