• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have become concerned for and embarrassed by the Sony fanbase these days

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayj

Banned
Nothing personal if you're a fan of them yourself, as I was a big fan of theirs since the PS1 era. Heck I have owned every console of theirs, I got a PS5, and I even own a both versions of the Vita. I am not looking for an argument or anything, or to particularly single anyone out (as I think any fanbase can get embarrassing when the fans get too extreme), I am simply trying to address the elephant in the room when it comes to gaming sites and forums these days.

My problem is simply how it seems like whenever I see people trying to trash/hate platforms on gaming sites and forums, the vast majority of the time it's usually been some extreme Sony fans. It's gotten so bad to where I honestly feel too embarrassed to admit I have anything to do with the brand anymore. Yeah, I enjoy having a PS5, and yes, there are some things that I like from Sony that are unique to their platform these days, but I am getting very reluctant to admit that, and I don't think I would want to associate myself with or endorse them as a result of all the toxicity I see coming from that direction.

Onto my greater concerns, I just don't think the company is pro-consumer anymore. With all the talk about their big push towards live services in the future, and the recent online service price hikes, it seems like they have lost their way. It has also become worrying to me how little accountability there seems to be among Sony fans as far as bad moves go. Like when Microsoft makes a bad move, everyone doesn't hesitate for a second to criticize them for it. When Nintendo makes a bad move, you will see a lot of fans getting vocal about it. Yet when Sony makes a bad move, it feels like nobody is allowed to say anything. Even if you're the biggest Sony fan around, this should be worrying when it comes to the future of the Playstation brand.

So what am I hoping to accomplish with this post? Well I guess that would be hoping for some sense of awareness at least. I always wanted what is best for this industry, it's an industry I have always felt passionate about, so when I see things moving in the wrong direction I think I should at the very least say something. I would like to see Sony fans be willing to standup to the brand and it's leadership for once and hold them accountable for bad decisions and practices. They were willing to do this in the past, most notably in the PS3 era when Sony made lots of bad moves, and I think we can all admit that the brand only became better in the end because of it. If the fans were to stop acting like such devoted consumers and stop hating on everything else these days I would have no reason to feel embarrassed to be associated with them. Problem is, I just don't see that happening anytime soon, hence the reason for venting my concerns here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom