• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have no mouth and i must scream, what should i know?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have always wanted to play this game and now i finally have it, but i'm confused by some things:

1)it seems that there are multiple ways to do the same thing, are they all correct or there's only one correct way? Is there a way to understand what's the good/bad decision and if i took a wrong one?

2)if i didn't give up a looked at a video i wouldn't have never noiced that objects appear where before there was nothing, i understand a whiskey among other bottles in a bar, but what the hell why a magnifying glass appear in a urinal?!?! Does it happen often?

3)if i die i restart from the very beginning or there's some kind of difference?

4)do i need to finish one character before passing to another or there's a way to play more characters at the same time?

5)theres a bug, the grave i dig is visible only the first time, well there are also some wrong itme desciptions, is there any game breaking bug?

Other things i should know?

pa22word

What were you expecting, just out of curiosity?

Yeah I mean it's not as if the book is super esoteric or something >.>

The game flies under the radar a bit due to more console heavy audience gaf has, but it's a pretty famous story all things told.

tenor.gif

Shifty

You can tell whether you made a good decision by the character portrait. If memory serves, it gets brighter if you did something right, and dims if you screw up and play toward your character's flaws.
I think you can make it go white if you do everything right for a given character, but I can't remember whether that's a requirement to make certain things happen or just a player info mechanism.

I don't think you can hop between characters until you finish a scenario.

Also lol at the no context reactions in here.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I realized that if one doesn't know about the game the thread title is hilarious lol.

For those who don't know it the game is called "I Have No Mouth and i Must Scream" and is a dark, cruel, crazy, psycological adventure game about five people forced to play a cruel game of an AI called AM that hates humans
250px-Screamcover.jpg

610full-i-have-no-mouth-and-i-must-scream-screenshot.jpg

imustscream-10.png

Which version of the game is this?
the GOG one

You can tell whether you made a good decision by the character portrait. If memory serves, it gets brighter if you did something right, and dims if you screw up and play toward your character's flaws.
I think you can make it go white if you do everything right for a given character, but I can't remember whether that's a requirement to make certain things happen or just a player info mechanism.

I don't think you can hop between characters until you finish a scenario.

Also lol at the no context reactions in here.

2)if i didn't give up a looked at a video i wouldn't have never noiced that objects appear where before there was nothing, i understand a whiskey among other bottles in a bar, but what the hell why a magnifying glass appear in a urinal?!?! Does it happen often?

Yes, It's a bad video game.

The story and concept is interesting, but trying to work within the game's logic to solve the various puzzles is immensely frustrating.

Mr_Zombie

As I recall, there was a game breaking bug in either Ted's (the playboy) or Benny's (the ape-like guy) scenario, probably the later. So save often.

And I agree with Jangowuzhere, if you're stuck, don't be afraid to use a solution. The game often works on its own weird logic, which sometimes can be very frustrating.

For those who don't know it the game is called "I Have No Mouth and i Must Scream" and is a dark, cruel, crazy, psycological adventure game about five people forced to play a cruel game of an AI called AM that hates humans

You can't introduce "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" without mentioning the AM's Hate speech:
https://youtu.be/iw-88h-LcTk?t=45s

Mediking

What were you expecting, just out of curiosity?

Well....

Lol
I'm realllllly confused

Your avatar is great. Lol

It's a game based on the 'I have no mouth and I must scream' book by Harlan Ellison

I realized that if one doesn't know about the game the thread title is hilarious lol.

250px-Screamcover.jpg

610full-i-have-no-mouth-and-i-must-scream-screenshot.jpg

imustscream-10.png

the GOG one

OHHHHH....

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yes, It's a bad video game.

The story and concept is interesting, but trying to work within the game's logic to solve the various puzzles is immensely frustrating.

As I recall, there was a game breaking bug in either Ted's (the playboy) or Benny's (the ape-like guy) scenario, probably the later. So save often.

And I agree with Jangowuzhere, if you're stuck, don't be afraid to use a solution. The game often works on its own weird logic, which sometimes can be very frustrating.

You can't introduce "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" without mentioning the AM's Hate speech:
https://youtu.be/iw-88h-LcTk?t=45s

Ok i'll save often and won't be afraid of looking at solutions, thanks :)

Ploid 3.0

I learned about this short story because of Saints Row 4 with it's technology alien overlord trapping the saints in vr worlds to torture them for eternity. I love it, and watched people play through the game (I doubt I would be able to stick with it, I can't even get through Baldur's Gate 2 and I love pause with realtime rpgs like Dragon Age, and FFXII).

You can run into impossible situations, which is the bane of adventure games. Namely, the toilet and magnifying glass.
If you kill the old geezer before getting him to talk about the restroom, it will never appear

I needed to use a guide, mainly with Benny and with with later replays. Which was harder to digest was that during the final stage[/spoiler]Nimdok is the only one who can open a door, so if you want to see an ending with another character, he forcefully has to die. Which is logical since the character is beyond redemption (he is a partner of Mengele) and he wants to die and be punished[/spoiler]

It's flawed, but I really loved it, specially with Ellen and Nimdok.
Ellen needs to overcome the trauma about being raped by the guy dressed in yellow, and Nimdok, when asked to operate and cripple a child, can instead stab a nazi and "save" the children.

Benny was the hardest one. I was never able to do it without the faq.

PS: Harlan Ellison got involved with the game, despite hating computers. He fleshed out the original short story, and voiced AM.

Miletius

In regards to your first question: There are different endings based on what you did in the game. Generally it's fairly clear in the first 4/5's of the up to when something you do will be wrong, but you may want to consult a walkthrough if you want to get the "best" ending and do not want to repeat the game. The only decisions that will lock you out of the end game are ones that are pretty explicitly bad, some endings will have you have to restart the scenario but won't lock any endings out.

The last bit of the game is kind of obtuse, and it's not altogether clear how to get the best ending. I highly recommend making a special save at this point -- it's fairly clear when this is -- and playing through the game knowing that you can backtrack to that point if necessary. You can either play organically from there or you can consult a walkthrough -- it's probably best to do a bit of both in the interest of time.

Spoiler for when this is:
It's when your group is going to go into AM's "brain"

Otherwise the game is a blast. I replayed through it with the lady a couple of years ago, we did a raw run and got a bad ending (GF doesn't really care to replay things), but we had a blast doing it and I highly recommend it as it is an interesting artifact of the golden age of adventure games.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I tried playing the game on my PC.

The concept is cool but like what others said, the puzzles can get a bit weird and illogical. I completed just one chapter and I had to heavily rely on a guide.

Like in almost every point & click adventure? :D

Not really because this game had strange ass and alien logic. Day of the Tentacle might have some silly stuff and Grim Fandango might have a few weird logic but IHNMAIMS is way overboard, plus there are multiple endings per character.

Top Bottom