• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I heard the USSR national anthem and thought it sounded kinda... badass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes for one hell of an entrance.

11116638_1589220211346136_1662886303_n.jpg

One of the best entrances I've ever seen. I was in awe of this during Wrestlemania

England would win if it could use Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem, the latter of which is a better reflection of modern Britain than an appeal to a powerless monarchy. Jerusalem's tied in to Britain's welfare state and post-war changes in Britain by Atlee's use of it after Labour won in 1945, a victory which brought in the Beveridge-inspired reforms which have defined modern Britain.

Basically it's a neat, easy to remember and inspiring song.

It's a badass melody, and I like how the lyrics change when somebody fell out of favor...

1944 version..

Through tempests the sun of freedom shone to us,
And the great Lenin illuminated our path,
We were raised by Stalin to be true to the people,
To labour and heroic deeds he inspired us!

1977 version...

Through tempests the sun of freedom shone to us,
And the great Lenin illuminated our path,
To a just cause he raised up the peoples,
To labour and heroic deeds he inspired us!

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
When it comes to lyrics, the German national anthem would have been the clear winner, had they chosen the second stanza of the complete song, not the third:

German women, German loyalty,
German wine and German song
Shall retain in the world
Their old beautiful chime
And inspire us to noble deeds
During all of our life.
German women, German loyalty,
German wine and German song!|

Everybody sings about war and glory, why not sing about having a good party.

DJ_Lae

It is pretty awesome.

Also, I love my country and all, but the Canadian anthem is a festering pile of shit.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah I like it too it's all majestic and shit I love the lyrics that make me feel like the author was being ironic like "Unbreakable Union" and "Home of the Free"

Joking aside it really runs with it's imagery of being an iron nation using welded as a descriptor and stuff.

It was funny in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, when the Santa-Lenin hybrid came in at the Christmas party and started playing this song, everybody got up and started singing it. Even John Le Carre was in the shot.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
It was funny in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, when the Santa-Lenin hybrid came in at the Christmas party and started playing this song, everybody got up and started singing it. Even John Le Carre was in the shot.

haha, yeah. Always wondered who was Santa

Chariot

Eastern side of the cold war definitly had the best hymns. I actually like the GDR Hymn more than the actual german one. I also think that the lyrics apply a lot better. And I mean, how can you hate the lines

Laßt das Licht des Friedens scheinen,
daß nie eine Mutter mehr
ihren Sohn beweint

Can't believe the Welsh national anthem isn't getting any love...

https://youtu.be/AM4mIlYKG9s

You beat me to it :)

Also, to answer MrChom i'd say the Welsh also have the awesome Cwm Rhondda, aka Bread of Heaven to the English. "Hymns and Arias" is another old-school favorite at the Rugby together with "Sospan Bach" which i haven't heard for a while if i'm honest though.

There's also the derogatory "You can stick your bloody chariot up your arse.", which again i haven't heard for ages, not on TV anyway :)

temp

posting on contract only
On that note, I came across a US version of it, which is the most bizarre thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2jnX2y30DE
As performed by James Earl Jones?
Paul Robeson, and there's nothing bizarre about a leftist singing the song of the biggest communist power.

Yep, of Ol' Man River fame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyJtGNk9iEU

Here's him singing the National Anthem of the People's Republic of China:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJv0jMLLRcw

pulsemyne

You beat me to it :)

Also, to answer MrChom i'd say the Welsh also have the awesome Cwm Rhondda, aka Bread of Heaven to the English. "Hymns and Arias" is another old-school favorite at the Rugby together with "Sospan Bach" which i haven't heard for a while if i'm honest though.

There's also the derogatory "You can stick your bloody chariot up your arse.", which again i haven't heard for ages, not on TV anyway :)

Hymns and arias is pretty much Swansea City's anthem now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom